LineageOS, Current status : 16.0 Test Builds

1. Sound

2. Right Slant Arrow Remappable

3. FM Radio

If we're not including twrp decrypt anymore, otherwise that would be more important for radio.  Then, other than a way to force landscape, it'd be perfect for my use.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alright it's officially official. Now we wait for the first build. I don't know what day that will be, but it will be within 7 days.   https://github.com/LineageOS/hudson/commit/0233cb5e039e

I am pleased to announce test builds for LineageOS 16.0.   Please note this thread is for test builds.  These builds are not necessarily stable or suitable for daily use.   You can

Hey all, it's been a while since I've been here so I wanted to pop in and give an update.   I live in Seattle, which has been under stay-at-home orders for over two weeks and will continue u

Posted Images

1 hour ago, tdm said:

What exactly are the issues with sound?  How can I reproduce them?

Therein lies the issue.....some people have issues some of the time. Crackling, dropping, but reproducing it is definitely going to be a trick. I feel like it's been mentioned in half a dozen threads. Maybe someone can post something more specific and helpful here. I'm still waiting thanks to the bad-cold-with-a-scary-reputation.

7 minutes ago, silversolver said:

Therein lies the issue.....some people have issues some of the time. Crackling, dropping, but reproducing it is definitely going to be a trick. I feel like it's been mentioned in half a dozen threads. Maybe someone can post something more specific and helpful here. I'm still waiting thanks to the bad-cold-with-a-scary-reputation.

Is it also exists in LineageOS?

I know stock firmware has this issue but I don't know if LineageOS also has it - we usually hear about issues in stock firmware I think.

Edited by VaZso

Audio crackling can easily be reproduced by running an application using OpenSL ES. As for examples, VLC can be set to use in the settings, mpv for Android uses it by default.
AAudio also crackles iirc, but I can't name an example app from the top of my head right now.

Supposedly related to Snapdragon audio power saving stuff. And apparently plugging something into USB does remove the crackle somehow, but I haven't had the chance to confirm this on my own unit yet.

Question is if this is worth getting into since the last OTA (the "next" before pulled one) was supposed to have this fixed on stock... which kind of didn't happen, admittedly.

I guess you don't do much with audio on your test device? I find it hard to believe to not come across this at least in one app sooner or later. It's pretty much the biggest remaining gripe I have left with the Pro1, personally.

• Thanks 3
6 minutes ago, elvissteinjr said:

Audio crackling can easily be reproduced by running an application using OpenSL ES. As for examples, VLC can be set to use in the settings, mpv for Android uses it by default.
AAudio also crackles iirc, but I can't name an example app from the top of my head right now.

Supposedly related to Snapdragon audio power saving stuff. And apparently plugging something into USB does remove the crackle somehow, but I haven't had the chance to confirm this on my own unit yet.

Question is if this is worth getting into since the last OTA (the "next" before pulled one) was supposed to have this fixed on stock... which kind of didn't happen, admittedly.

I guess you don't do much with audio on your test device? I find it hard to believe to not come across this at least in one app sooner or later. It's pretty much the biggest remaining gripe I have left with the Pro1, personally.

Perfect, thanks.  Installed VLC and set it to OpenSL ES.  mp3 playback is crackling.  Will investigate.

I haven't used my device much yet.  Still need to get my carrier to figure out the voice call issue.

• Thanks 6
45 minutes ago, tdm said:

Perfect, thanks.  Installed VLC and set it to OpenSL ES.  mp3 playback is crackling.  Will investigate.

I haven't used my device much yet.  Still need to get my carrier to figure out the voice call issue.

In other threads someone have reported that this issue on other devices is often linked to buffer under-runs. But of course there can be many reasons for that, but a buffer increase would be a place to start, if it is not a problem with pulling data faster than it fetches it.

• Thanks 1
On 3/6/2020 at 1:41 PM, tdm said:

What exactly are the issues with sound?  How can I reproduce them?

You obviously don't play any games or you'd have noticed it by now!

I was referring to the audio crackle that is present in pretty much every game.  This is a stock problem too I first reported in december (here on forum) and included a recording of the 'ding in solitaire express from play store which was the only game I had installed at the time.   When I made the video playing mario kart under dolphin emu that I recently shared, I used the trick of plugging in the power cable to fix the sound which seems to only work on lineage, not stock.

It doesn't seem to affect video playback/mp3 playback, but apparently others figured out a way to make vlc do it too as posted earlier.  I don't use whatsapp, but people have mentioned it affects that too on stock.

edit: I dont think its hard to find a game with this issue, but if you need an example, supertuxkart.

Edited by Craig
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
49 minutes ago, spam71 said:

For me, to deal with crackling sound, I have to install Magisk 'Audio Compatibility Patch', and I suppose the key is increasing audio buffer, but that is just a guess. 

I tried that one before I sent my unit to Fx. It kinda worked, but I got constant clicking noises over the headphone port from that instead, regardless of the app or even in silence. Maybe speakers too but I couldn't hear them there at the very least.
Probably could've been configured to work fine or maybe I did something wrong, not sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, Craig said:

You obviously don't play any games or you'd have noticed it by now!

I was referring to the audio crackle that is present in pretty much every game.  This is a stock problem too

No I don't really play games on my phones... or anywhere really. That's what happens when you have kids and an android hobby. 😉

Interesting to know that it's also in stock, thanks. That will surely help.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Just a re-ping on the fingerprint stuff too.  It's not important or critical cuz I dont really care if fingerprint works or not, and if its just me, then I guess no worries.  But, I have nothing related in persist but can't save a fingerprint on lineage as mentioned earlier.

1 minute ago, Craig said:

Just a re-ping on the fingerprint stuff too.  It's not important or critical cuz I dont really care if fingerprint works or not, and if its just me, then I guess no worries.  But, I have nothing related in persist but can't save a fingerprint on lineage as mentioned earlier.

Pretty sure it works for everyone else. Send me a PM and we can try to figure it out.

3 hours ago, Craig said:

I don't use whatsapp, but people have mentioned it affects that too on stock.

That was me.

3 hours ago, tdm said:

Interesting to know that it's also in stock, thanks. That will surely help.

I don't know if this will help you, but it is an easy thing to test if you have someone else to send a WhatsApp message to.  I just sent someone a 10 second "testing 1 2 3" type message.  It crackles at certain points in the audio.  However, if I cover the proximity sensor, then the screen goes off and the audio is paused at its current location.  After uncovering the sensor, the screen comes back and *usually* I can hit play to resume the audio and the audio crackling is gone.  It remains gone for that and other audio messages. 

What is also interesting is that if it is working fine and I cover the proximity sensor, that can cause it to go back to crackle mode.  It is almost like a toggle, but not 100% guaranteed to toggle from good to bad state or vice versa.  (And don't ask me why in the world WhatsApp shuts off audio when you put the phone to your head so that you can hear the d@mn audio!  Drives me crazy.)

When I saw @spam71 mention the audio compatibility patch for Magisk, I installed it.  There are several options when installing it.  I tried the options that it recommended, but it still crackled.  I removed it and reinstalled it and told it to do all the options, even the not-recommended ones (the ones you are supposed to do if something isn't working with the regular options), and it still crackled.  I'm happy to try again if someone has a specific set of answers to those config questions that seems to get rid of the crackle for them.

Edited by david
  • Thanks 3

I have another request. In Pro1 both shift and both ctrl keys send the same keycode, so it is impossible do differentiate between left and right shift and ctrl. Could it be possible to assign different scan codes to be able to distinguish whether left or right key was pressed? It's useful for some games (ie Zen Pinball) and it would widen possibilities of keyboard customization (pressing one modifier key could take other action from the other modifier).

10 minutes ago, spam71 said:

I have another request. In Pro1 both shift and both ctrl keys send the same keycode, so it is impossible do differentiate between left and right shift and ctrl. Could it be possible to assign different scan codes to be able to distinguish whether left or right key was pressed? It's useful for some games (ie Zen Pinball) and it would widen possibilities of keyboard customization (pressing one modifier key could take other action from the other modifier).

AFAIK they are electrically wired in parallel, so the 66 physical keys represents 64 'logical' keys.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

Do you happen to have this keyboard button issue, which is reported to be in stock, also in los? I mean the issue that keyboard letter virtually gets stuck and provides mmmmmmmmmmm instead of only one m? Or pops up the alternative letter menu? I didn't have it on stock but it have happened to me few times on los. I'd add it to the to do list also.

I tried to simplify the flashing process so I did not need to fiddle with the devices buttons, and remember/read as much

If I do this at the bootloader

fastboot reboot recovery

the response looks sensible

Rebooting into recovery                            OKAY [  0.001s]
Finished. Total time: 0.003s

BUT despite saying otherwise it boots into normal and not recovery, so can not simplify that step

So now my script for lineage+gapps is like this

@ECHO off
if %1.==. goto :EOF
ECHO * Wait for boot to bootloader to finish (or do manually holding VolDown+Power)
adb reboot bootloader
pause
fastboot flash boot_a LineageOS\lineage-16.0-pro1-test%1-boot.img
fastboot --set-active=a
ECHO fastboot reboot recovery    does not work, so do manually (VolDown to Recovery, and press Power)
pause
ECHO * Wait for recovery to launch and select "Apply update", "Apply from ADB"
pause
adb sideload LineageOS\lineage-16.0-pro1-test%1.zip
pause
adb reboot recovery
ECHO * Wait for recovery to launch and select "Apply update", "Apply from ADB"
pause
adb sideload LineageOS\MindTheGapps-9.0.0-arm64-20190615_031441.zip
pause
adb reboot
ECHO **DONE** Should now boot into LineageOS Test%1

Obviously the path should be adjusted to where you stored the download images

The interaction looks like this

image.png.fc56a3e9ee0964f56994f54269e6cdf7.png

• Like 2

An odd issue I have had quite a number of times:

When the screen is locked, I try with a finger to unlock, but get the double-stroke haptic feed back telling me it was rejected, I can try two-three times with same result, If I then press the power button, and tries the finger again, it is accepted without any problems.

It is not that it never is accepted, it just happens a little too often to be accidental, I think, I do not see it on Stock.

Does anyone else see this behaviour?

Yes. Experienced the same. But maybe it's just a coincidence, because fingerprint sensor fails definitely too often.

[edit]

I mean problems with fingeprint reader are erratic and unpredictable. I miss reader in Key1 space bar. It was perfect.

Edited by spam71
4 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

When the screen is locked, I try with a finger to unlock, but get the double-stroke haptic feed back telling me it was rejected, I can try two-three times with same result, If I then press the power button, and tries the finger again, it is accepted without any problems.

It is not that it never is accepted, it just happens a little too often to be accidental, I think, I do not see it on Stock.

I used to have that on my Relay 4G on Cyanogenmod, with pattern unlock.

Edited by david
19 hours ago, tdm said:

Okay I've spent several hours trying to get TWRP to decrypt userdata and still no joy.  I am going to put that aside for now and focus on other things.

So as I recall, the top 3 things people wanted were display margin, fingerprint mitigations, and TWRP.  What's next on the list?  I believe the only things blocking official builds are FM radio and selinux.  And I could probably fudge on FM radio if nobody cares about it.  Though I really should get it working soon.

I'd say fixing this stupid crackling/echo audio problem...still no joy here trying to resolve.  If you want to reproduce, there are certain apps that ALWAYS do it.  For example - Fishdom.  But my experience so far is that most games do this.  Even RetroArch emulator.

Edited by JooJooBee666
Moved temp fix to separate post.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh, and I found another hack to temporarily fix the audio...receive a text message.  Or send one to yourself and QUICKLY go back in to the app with the problem.  No need for a plug now. 🙂

Clearly this has nothing to do with power.  I see this in the logs: audio_hw_primary: start_output_stream: enter: stream(0xe6d71000)usecase(1: low-latency-playback) devices(0x2) and other various things surrounding this.  Where as when I start apps that have the issue, I don't see this.

So this leads me to think it is indeed related to buffering.  Though my attempts to adjust different buffer settings had no effect.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

I'm not on LOS yet, but I think the fingerprint reader itself is just bad. Also on stock It fails very often to identify the fingerprint, even if you save multiple "versions" of the same finger.

• Like 2

Hello, I have few questions. Note that I don't have they phone yet.

1. Does it use hardware-based key store? It should be available in Settings, probably under Security & location » Encryption & credentials » Storage type.

2. Does it wipe after 10 unsuccessful attempts to enter the PIN?

3. When I switch the selinux mode to enforcing, how much am I going to break?