Jump to content
tdm

LineageOS, Current status : 16.0 Test Builds

Recommended Posts

On 3/17/2020 at 7:50 AM, Hook said:

Well, I went ahead and tried. I'm now thinking this was reported before, but can't remember if it was for Verizon on LOS.  I can confirm that Verizon will nor work on LOS. LOS fails to recognize that the SIM is provisioned for VoLTE and all the switched that provision it for the phone on the phone menu (*#*#4636#*#*) sta grayed out no matter whatother settings you play around with.  I sure hope there is a solution down the road.

Guess it's back to stock for me. 😉

i guess there is no winning for me. i saw that the audio issue is fixed for LOS but im on verizon and i dont want to give up my grandfathered data. regardless, thanks @tdm for the work you've put into this so far.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2020 at 7:22 PM, david said:

I haven't noticed a single random reboot.  I *might* have had one early on, but my brain could be confusing that happening to me vs reading about it with someone else. :-)

That will teach me.  I should have added a "knock on wood" to that.  I just had my first known random reboot.  I had charged the phone to 99% and then unplugged it and it was sitting for 10 to 12 minutes.  I saw the screen turn on and glanced over, noticing it was setting up the SD card and other things that it only does after a reboot.  

Again, I'm on stock, but weighing in, since some code is shared between the LOS and Android builds.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh no. Today I had the unresponsive keyboard bug for the first time in Lineage. It was already fixed in stock too, so I hoped that at least this bug could be forgotten already. But looks like it still exists, at least occassionally. Reboot fixed the problem, at least temporarily, as always.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, if the provider doesn't let you into their network with the Pro1, I'm not sure what you want from tdm/LineageOS at this point? The phone may (or may not?) support CDMA, but for some reason the providers that use CDMA don't support the phone. Not much the tdm/LineageOS can do here.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SteffenWi said:

Well, if the provider doesn't let you into their network with the Pro1, I'm not sure what you want from tdm/LineageOS at this point? The phone may (or may not?) support CDMA, but for some reason the providers that use CDMA don't support the phone. Not much the tdm/LineageOS can do here.

Right, but I think what people are requesting of @tdm is that he fix the LTE side of things.  This does work (albeit post activation on a mule phone) because of the interoperability requirements of the LTE standard, Verizon has no choice but to allow a LTE device on their network.  Thus, even though there isn't (and won't be) CDMA support for the Pro1, there should be LTE support.  Also, Verizon, in the near future, will be shutting down their CDMA network anyway.  When that happens everything (voice, SMS, MMS, and all other data) will be carried solely over their LTE system.  Thus, if the Pro1 is ever to be used on their system with Lineage, it will eventually need to be fixed.  

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2020 at 2:28 AM, Polaris said:

I was a Nextel user (as my employer went to it).  It was an awesome service and blew the doors off standard two-way radio communications, but the handsets were large and heavy.  I still have a handful of their devices should you find a use for them, lol.

Also, I believe the wikipedia page is (slightly) incorrect in that the iDEN bandwidth was split up and commissioned for use with both CDMA (3GPP2 C.S0057-E) and LTE, not strictly LTE emissions.

IIRC, Sprint didn't provide AMPS service.  At least not on the west coast.  I was offered one of their very first "cell phones" (I still have it as well as my Nextel units, lol) in the LA market to become a beta tester, and it was on the original PCS 1900 Mhz service/bands.  It was spread spectrum CDMA and, between the vocoder and the modulation technique it was very difficult to eavesdrop on, unlike TDMA (at the time).  Prior to that, I believe that only Pac-Tel and AT&T were the only AMPS providers in that market.

I believe you are correct now that I think about it a bit more. My dad had a Sprint phone back in the mid 90s, and their digital service didn't quite reach to our house, and the handset would roam to an analog tower, which I now remember was not a Sprint one. I used to lock the phone in analog when out with mom and not in town.....that was a big phone bill. The Dad was not amused. :P

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SteffenWi said:

Well, if the provider doesn't let you into their network with the Pro1, I'm not sure what you want from tdm/LineageOS at this point? The phone may (or may not?) support CDMA, but for some reason the providers that use CDMA don't support the phone. Not much the tdm/LineageOS can do here.

 

1 hour ago, Polaris said:

Right, but I think what people are requesting of @tdm is that he fix the LTE side of things.  This does work (albeit post activation on a mule phone) because of the interoperability requirements of the LTE standard, Verizon has no choice but to allow a LTE device on their network.  Thus, even though there isn't (and won't be) CDMA support for the Pro1, there should be LTE support.  Also, Verizon, in the near future, will be shutting down their CDMA network anyway.  When that happens everything (voice, SMS, MMS, and all other data) will be carried solely over their LTE system.  Thus, if the Pro1 is ever to be used on their system with Lineage, it will eventually need to be fixed.  

Yes, to be clear, priority or not, I am simply requesting that LOS be able to do what stock can do.  Verizon works on stock using LTE only. It allows the VoLTE and Voice over Wifi switches to be turned on, which appears to be all that is needed for Verizon to work.  The user still has to use the mule workaround to get a SIM provisioned for VoLTE, but that's on the user.  It works in stock.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, silversolver said:

I believe you are correct now that I think about it a bit more. My dad had a Sprint phone back in the mid 90s, and their digital service didn't quite reach to our house, and the handset would roam to an analog tower, which I now remember was not a Sprint one. I used to lock the phone in analog when out with mom and not in town.....that was a big phone bill. The Dad was not amused. 😛

My original phone (mid to late 90s) wasn't even a dual band phone so there was no chance of analog.  It was purely digital PCS w/digital modulation.  Your dad would have probably liked my model better as you and mom wouldn't have been able to run up his bill by roaming!  LOL.
 

6 hours ago, Hook said:

 

Yes, to be clear, priority or not, I am simply requesting that LOS be able to do what stock can do.  Verizon works on stock using LTE only. It allows the VoLTE and Voice over Wifi switches to be turned on, which appears to be all that is needed for Verizon to work.  The user still has to use the mule workaround to get a SIM provisioned for VoLTE, but that's on the user.  It works in stock.

Right.  This is exactly what I understood your request to be.  Additionally, using a mule isn't only on the user, it also has nothing to do with the Pro1's technology.  It's purely a case of Verizon's internal policies about which devices can be used for activating a SIM card.  However, once the SIM is activated, per LTE interoperability agreements, the SIM card is allowed to be used in any other device which works on their LTE network.  This is exactly why others have reported showing up at Verizon company stores and the representatives were able to get their Pro1's working (which they could have done themselves with a mule).  The employee's were not going behind their employer's back to secretly get the Pro1 working.

Edited by Polaris
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi!

 

First of all, thanks @tdm for your awesome work - I finally got around to installing test-11 and it is such a massive improvement over stock!

 

Just one issue I'm having: The keyboard in my case seems to register fn and shift as exactly the same key - no matter which layout I use (I tried both the regular android layouts and the finqwerty layouts), I keep getting the same letter/symbol with shift and with fn. I have the German keyboard version. Is there anything I can do myself, or any log I can post to help debug this?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Garanthor said:

Hi!

 

First of all, thanks @tdm for your awesome work - I finally got around to installing test-11 and it is such a massive improvement over stock!

 

Just one issue I'm having: The keyboard in my case seems to register fn and shift as exactly the same key - no matter which layout I use (I tried both the regular android layouts and the finqwerty layouts), I keep getting the same letter/symbol with shift and with fn. I have the German keyboard version. Is there anything I can do myself, or any log I can post to help debug this?

It is intended to work that way. To be close to the same as in pc keyboard. So you should mostly forget the yellow markings on the keyboard and use shift+number shortcuts as they are on your pc. I'm too lazy to search the post for you, but if you search these pages for at least five pages back, you should find some discussion and explanation for this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Garanthor said:

Hi!

 

First of all, thanks @tdm for your awesome work - I finally got around to installing test-11 and it is such a massive improvement over stock!

 

Just one issue I'm having: The keyboard in my case seems to register fn and shift as exactly the same key - no matter which layout I use (I tried both the regular android layouts and the finqwerty layouts), I keep getting the same letter/symbol with shift and with fn. I have the German keyboard version. Is there anything I can do myself, or any log I can post to help debug this?

Also reference the issue tracker.  QWERTZ layout is still marked as having bugs and still not closed, so probably still work in progress.

https://github.com/tdm/android_device_fxtec_pro1/issues/35

You can control the fn key combinations without changing layouts the way tdm implemented the driver.   And don't use finqwerty layouts with lineage, they're intended for stock and would have to be modified for Lineage which handles sym, slantarrows, and Fx differently.

 

 

Edited by Craig
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2020 at 11:06 AM, Craig said:

Also reference the issue tracker.  QWERTZ layout is still marked as having bugs and still not closed, so probably still work in progress.

https://github.com/tdm/android_device_fxtec_pro1/issues/35

You can control the fn key combinations without changing layouts the way tdm implemented the driver.   And don't use finqwerty layouts with lineage, they're intended for stock and would have to be modified for Lineage which handles sym, slantarrows, and Fx differently.

 

 

But if you buy @Anssi Hannula some beer, I'll bet it will suddenly work correctly on LOS too. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, silversolver said:

But if you buy @Anssi Hannula some beer, I'll bet it will suddenly work correctly on LOS too. 🙂

You're right.

But are they needed?  With Lineage you can use the AOSP layouts.....

But maybe they are.  I see he made them for Photon Q and I always thought the asanti layouts provided with CM/LOS were good enough, so what do I know.... I don't type other languages....

Edited by Craig
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm wondering if we can implement the physical keyboard settings for stuff like auto caps, etc.   Changing these settings for virtual keyboard (aosp or gboard) don't have affect on phyiscal keyboard.

 

Here's a screenshot from PQ stock ICS of the setting I'm referring too...

Screenshot_2020-03-26-10-34-18.png.f9712e6ee2e05ff39d733b5c9482023d.png

 

edit: and here it is on CM11 (this phone's battery was dead when I was checking this yesterday; I have 3 of em!)

Screenshot_2020-03-27-13-49-15.png.c07b6625f8852b5d5c50f06cef277b63.png

And as Cornholio mentions in the next post, it was still there all the way thru Lineage 14.1 when PQ got its final LOS build last february.

Edited by Craig
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I seem to have auto capitalization in most of the apps. Like Whatsapp for example. But not in browser, atleast when typing forum posts like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

6 hours ago, auvo.salmi said:

I seem to have auto capitalization in most of the apps. Like Whatsapp for example. But not in browser, atleast when typing forum posts like this.

Try swift type. Typing this right now with correct grammatical add-ons and spelling to boot. 

 

I just wish it did emoticons like Gboard. 

Edit: SwiftKey, thanks for the correction Dave. 

Edited by D1ggs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I've used Swiftkey.  I think it is Microsoft?  It has hardware keyboard settings under 'typing' and yep can disable autocaps there,etc.  It also allows has suggestions which work quite well with hardware keyboard if you like those, which aosp keyboard doesn't seem to have, at least not in our LOS...

But, sym and emoji popup keyboard shortcuts dont work, and games (that you play by holding down keys to move) dont work with it.  So I got tired of manually switching back and forth between aosp for games and swiftkey for suggestions I rarely use (and just leave it on aosp).

I'd love the best of both, but right now it's all about tradeoffs.  But since we had those settings on PhotonQ under stock and cm/los, hoping they can be implemented for Pro¹ - without the need for 3rd party app like SwiftKey just to get such settings.

But, that may not be possible with current Android, maybe something changed.  I'm just hoping.

 

Edited by Craig
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Craig said:

But, sym and emoji popup keyboard shortcuts dont work, and games (that you play by holding down keys to move) dont work with it. 

Does this mean the fix where multiple keypresses can be registered at the same time doesn't work when SwiftKey is enabled for some reason in LOS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It might be too much to ask, but could someone give a quick summary on the status of this build? With 37 pages to go through it's a lot to know a quick status of what works, what does not, if it's suitable for daily use etc... Thanks very much for the hard work put into this 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Linkandzelda said:

It might be too much to ask, but could someone give a quick summary on the status of this build? With 37 pages to go through it's a lot to know a quick status of what works, what does not, if it's suitable for daily use etc... Thanks very much for the hard work put into this 🙂

On the remaining known issues see this: https://github.com/tdm/android_device_fxtec_pro1/issues

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, david said:

Does this mean the fix where multiple keypresses can be registered at the same time doesn't work when SwiftKey is enabled for some reason in LOS?

I assume the same is the case with stock, I assume its a switfkey thing, unrelated to the driver.  

I just know if I try to play something like supertux with swiftkey enabled, I can't control myself correctly, have to switch back to aosp keyboard (or gboard).  I assume its something related to the way swiftkey is trying to provide suggestions or something (although the suggestions bar doesn't pop up during games)... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms