VaZso

Spontaneous reboots - discssion on possible causes

I believe my Pro1 reboots sometimes. I reported long time (like 2 months) ago, that the Pro1 queries pin code sometimes. I was thinking that it only loses network. I even replaced my sim card, to make sure that the problems aren't because of worn out/loose sim card. Replacement didn't help though; the device randomly reboots sometimes. There can be days to weeks without a reboot, but I think it has rebooted even three times in one day once. Looks like those reboots are more likely to happen when I am on weaker network area. For example in my friend's home the 4G signal is weak, and this makes the phone (not just Pro1 but every phone with the same network operator) to switch between 3g and 4g all the time. I don't have any proof for this to cause reboots, but feels like it happens more often in weak network.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Still not a single spontaneous reboot since I got my Pro1. Using it with 2 SIMs and even weak signal does not bother it. I did not travel much with it though, I wonder what it will be like on the train for instance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Slion said:

Still not a single spontaneous reboot since I got my Pro1. Using it with 2 SIMs and even weak signal does not bother it. I did not travel much with it though, I wonder what it will be like on the train for instance.

I believe it is not limited to a weak/failing signal, but combined with the bands relevant for the carrier. As more of us would see it if it was just the lost signal.

• Like 4

I was talking to a tutor at the college where I work, he lectures communications. He says he's seen it happen sometimes and believes it's something to do with band switching, but he's still looking at the phenomena, as he put it.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Just throwing in my "me too." I sometimes work off-site not too far from my work's main campus in an area with poor cell service, but that has wifi. When I'm up and running everything works fine, and the wifi lets me use Google Voice and WiFi calling with my carrier. I get reboots every so often when I'm here. Always seems to be in the same physical location, not so much in other places (this phenomenon was mentioned earlier in the thread). I'm in the US, on T-Mobile (although considering switching to Mint, which probably won't make much of a difference haha)

I will also mention that today is a particularly bad day, with 3-4 reboots in the span of 15 minutes 😞

I will also note that the off-site location is a trailer that basically acts like a Faraday cage, so that is definitely not helping

Edited by lzb
  • Thanks 2

I got my 4th reboot yesterday. I have had my phone for one and half month now. It is a rare issue for me and it is only happening when I am travelling. I can't reproduce it near my home. I am pretty sure that it is the same issue which was reported on Sony devices. Any plans to implement the fix soon? Is this bug also in Lineage OS rom?

• Sad 1

I am using Lineage (test9) and had my first boot yesterday. I have been using LOS for ten days or so, and been at least two times at my friend's home (where network is weak and where I usually had reboots on stock) but it hasn't happened even once. But yesterday I got my first reboot and I was at home (where I have really strong network), so I don't know if it was the same issue after all. But I'd say there's at least lesser reboots in Lineage.

Question for all of you who have the rebooting issue: Have you ever seen it rebooting? I mean, does it happen while using the phone? Because for me it has always happened while I have had the phone in my pocket.

16 minutes ago, auvo.salmi said:

Question for all of you who have the rebooting issue: Have you ever seen it rebooting? I mean, does it happen while using the phone? Because for me it has always happened while I have had the phone in my pocket.

I still had only two reboots on the same motorway and same direction where signal probably was very weak but the phone was in my pocket both times.

After last reboot, I was on the same road once more without reboot...

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, auvo.salmi said:

I saw both situation on stock OS, reboots in idle or while using the phone.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jordi said:

I saw both situation on stock OS, reboots in idle or while using the phone.

We will normally have a weaker signal with a phone in the pocket than in the hands (or at a desk), and as the issue seems correlated with a weak signal it will be more common when in a pocket.

Yesterday I had two spontaneous reboots while having a call. I was working on my garage, and had working gloves on. First time I really thought that the device rebooted spontaneously, and the second time I was ready to throw the device towards concrete wall... But then I realized that I had accidentally long-pressed the power button on both of times and this caused the reboot 😄

• Haha 6