Ubuntu Touch OS for Fxtec Pro1

2 hours ago, SteffenWi said:

Oh this is interesting, although I'm a bit confused. My last information was that Ubuntu Touch was abandoned by Canonical and pretty much dead, which seems to be confirmed by the fact that the base image is 4 years old. But yet there are parts of the project still alive?

Check out Wikipedia and Ubports Website

Ubuntu 16.04.6 was released on 28 February 2019, so if ubports is pulling in upstream stuff that's not *so* far out of date, and 16.04LTS general support goes thru April next year, and extended/security support til 2024.  Yeah yeah, I wouldn't mind if its a newer ubuntu base too, but it's not that bad...   and I know very little, for all we know they may have a plan within the next yearh to up to 18 or 20... or maybe waiting for 64-bit libhybris, that' d be cool...

For anyone running it, I'd be curious the result of:

uname -a  && lsb_release -a && cat /etc/os-release

Edited by Craig
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last week Liangchen Chen posted a video of a Fxtec Pro1 running Ubuntu Touch on Twitter https://twitter.com/chenliangchen/status/1272903474393604100 containing a link to an installable zip-file.

https://github.com/ubports-on-fxtec-pro1 is correct. Rootfs currently has manual tweaks for configs, as I didn't plan for the image to be released publicly and it more served as demonstration, but if

Yes, great idea, but please LineageOS first 😉

Posted Images

I would love to see this supported/maintained, I tried the image and while it was wonderful to try it was too buggy for a daily driver. But if we could get better support, I'd love to use it as a daily driver with anbox

• Like 3
7 hours ago, altomes said:

I would love to see this supported/maintained, I tried the image and while it was wonderful to try it was too buggy for a daily driver. But if we could get better support, I'd love to use it as a daily driver with anbox

Would be worth posting the bugs you encountered.  I found it mainly worked fine.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Craig said:

For anyone running it, I'd be curious the result of:

uname -a  && lsb_release -a && cat /etc/os-release

Don't know how to put this into a code-box ...

phablet@ubuntu-phablet:~$ uname -a  && lsb_release -a && cat /etc/os-release
Linux ubuntu-phablet 4.4.153-perf+ #4 SMP PREEMPT Wed Jun 10 00:15:28 CEST 2020 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description:    Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS
Release:        16.04
Codename:       xenial
NAME="Ubuntu"
VERSION="16.04.6 LTS (Xenial Xerus)"
ID=ubuntu
ID_LIKE=debian
PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS"
VERSION_ID="16.04"
HOME_URL="http://www.ubuntu.com/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://help.ubuntu.com/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/"
VERSION_CODENAME=xenial
UBUNTU_CODENAME=xenial
phablet@ubuntu-phablet:~$

This is written from within built-in webbrowser in Ubuntu Touch. I just plugged an ordinary pc102 keyboard via USB-C to USB-A adaptor ...

Cheers, #10248

• Like 1

Thanks much, thats awesome, looks like real ubuntu.  and code box is [ code ] and [ /code ] without spaces.

So is it possible to run gtk etc desktop apps, assuming they're made for arm/arch?   Or are the gui apps limited to whats in their appstore?  How bout appimages, snaps, flatpaks, any of those work?

Edited by Craig

I did a full charge last week on Tuesday.  I've still got 25% left I've been letting it sit idle no apps open except a terminal (accident) only wifi enabled.  Did notice another bug the Last Changed info box just says N/A in the Battery Settings.  Also it's not tracking the power drain usage 😞

• Like 2
4 hours ago, _DW_ said:

I did a full charge last week on Tuesday.  I've still got 25% left I've been letting it sit idle no apps open except a terminal (accident) only wifi enabled.  Did notice another bug the Last Changed info box just says N/A in the Battery Settings.  Also it's not tracking the power drain usage 😞

Do you mean your Pro1 was able to survive almost a week in deep sleep and still has 25% capacity left?
That is really impressive although the system doesn't really do anything in this state, but RAM refresh and maybe some wakeups happened during this period.

Anyway, the UBTouch for Pinephone has recently improved to last about a day if I understood well.

The ~1 week capability of Pro1 is really good anyway - does it wake up on phone call in this state (does it ring)?

Edited by VaZso
32 minutes ago, VaZso said:

Do you mean your Pro1 was able to survive almost a week in deep sleep and still has 25% capacity left?
That is really impressive although the system doesn't really do anything in this state, but RAM refresh and maybe some wakeups happened during this period.

Anyway, the UBTouch for Pinephone has recently improved to last about a day if I understood well.

The ~1 week capability of Pro1 is really good anyway - does it wake up on phone call in this state (does it ring)?

Yeah I just hadn't used it since last charge due to my service provider issues.  Ah one thing to note here had no sim card in it as I transferred it to my other phone.  So that may have helped save power.  But it's good to know ubtouch isn't eating the battery when idle.

Just realised I forgot to report back on messaging and calls my service provider is having issues so I think that was a red herring with phone calls and messaging in ubtouch its probably fine.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, _DW_ said:

But it's good to know ubtouch isn't eating the battery when idle.

...and another thing which is good to know is the Pro1 hardware itself seems to be not eating the battery too much when the phone is switched on. 🙂
So its power management / power handling seems to be good anyway.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, VaZso said:

...and another thing which is good to know is the Pro1 hardware itself seems to be not eating the battery too much when the phone is switched on. 🙂
So its power management / power handling seems to be good anyway.

With both sim and WiFi active on LineageOs but without any real usage, it used about 50% the first four days of July

Screenshot_20200706-173804_3C_All-in-One_Toolbox.thumb.png.3320f19b05e5b75cc13a6eeeeae713ff.png

(if you set it in Aeroplane mode much less)

• Like 1
4 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

With both sim and WiFi active on LineageOs but without any real usage, it used about 50% the first four days of July

(if you set it in Aeroplane mode much less)

That is also not bad anyway. 🙂

I don't know how about stock Android, however, if a mail client also runs with IMAP Push and two SIM cards and also a relatively active usage, it lasts about a day for me...

• Like 1
On 7/6/2020 at 9:00 PM, VaZso said:

That is also not bad anyway. 🙂

I don't know how about stock Android, however, if a mail client also runs with IMAP Push and two SIM cards and also a relatively active usage, it lasts about a day for me...

Well it's still going on 9% since I last reported now but I've looked at it a few times 😆

It's a shame the battery usage graph broken I'll see how further it get before messing was gonna try some standard apps on it see what happens.

Any ideas on apps?  bear in mind it's app needs to have wayland support I think (am sure someone will correct me on that!)

Edited by _DW_
8 hours ago, _DW_ said:

Well it's still going on 9% since I last reported now but I've looked at it a few times 😆

It's a shame the battery usage graph broken I'll see how further it get before messing was gonna try some standard apps on it see what happens.

Any ideas on apps?  bear in mind it's app needs to have wayland support I think (am sure someone will correct me on that!)

https://open-store.io/

If you hadn't checked it out already, that's the main app store.  Don't even see kodi or retroarch in there, even sfos has those 😉

If it needs wayland stuff, maybe some kde plasma apps will work, like falkon browser?    I'm very curious what kind of desktop apps work, disappointed if its wayland only tho.

Edited by Craig
  • 4 months later...

The announcement of the Pro1-X suggests that UbuntuTouch could very well become a first-class citizen on Pro1/Pro1-X. So I assume that some development effort must have been going on on the side of the Ubuntu port.

I wonder why there are no news on this. Is anyone on this forum following UBPorts development? Are there other sources of information?

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, cube48 said:

I was also wondering whether the Pro1 users will benefit from Pro1-

x OS ports or FxTec will make these Pro1-X exclusive 🤔 

How (and why) would they do that?  The Pro1 and Pro1X are the same phone.  None of the OSs are going to require the additional memory.

Edited by Hook
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
13 minutes ago, cube48 said:

I was also wondering whether the Pro1 users will benefit from Pro1-

x OS ports or FxTec will make these Pro1-X exclusive 🤔 

The hardware is (nearly) the same, we will all benefit from porting efforts :).

Edited by netman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
On 6/20/2020 at 5:55 PM, order#10248 said:

In TWRP go to Wipe -- Format Data (Warning: All your data will lost.) --- type yes, and click blue tick

It complains with stuff like:

Failed to mount '/data' (Invalid argument)
Failed to mount '/vendor' (Invalid argument)

When I continue with install, it aborts with repeating the above errors and

Updater process ended with ERROR: 7
Error installing zip file '/external_sd/ubports-fxtec-pro1-v0.5.zip'

Then I say "reboot" and get stuck at Pro1 logo.

So, all this doesn't work.

Edit: I did all this after I successfully reverted to stock ROM, if that is a problem, using:

Edited by fxtec-preorder-47xx
  • 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, msemmett said:

Do I (totally technically illiterate need to restore the Pro1 basics and then start over with the Ubuntu installer?

I know absolutely nothing on the Ubuntu port, but would try a forced restart (long press on power) first, in a vague hope that it fixes itself.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, msemmett said:

My phone is stuck on the main screen wtih the Pro1 logo at the top, and Ubuntu touch logo at the bottom, but won't do anything else. Do I (totally technically illiterate need to restore the Pro1 basics and then start over with the Ubuntu installer?

If its a first run after install I recollect it takes a while to start first time.

On 11/28/2020 at 8:19 PM, Raksura said:

Is there a list of what works and what doesn't with Ubuntu Touch on the Pro1?

I've been using Ubuntu Touch for about a week:

Here's a report of what works and what doesn't:
- OS Install process: almost perfect, a slight documentation issue for first time ADB users on Windows 10. ✔️
- OS Welcome thingy: Impeccable. ✔️
- Wi-Fi connection: Impeccable. ✔️
- Lorimi (the window manager): impeccable. ✔️
- The default terminal app: works well. ✔️
- GPS: does not work. That's an immediate deal breaker for me, but since I don't need to travel during our current quarantine, I'll test things out more.
- Media player (for music): impeccable.  ✔️
- Default web browser: impeccable. ✔️
- Mail application: there is none by default. The recommended one works just fine. ✔️
- Synchronization with Google account: impeccable (contacts + calendar). ✔️
- Calendar: works as intended, which isn't great (there's no event hub, so I can't easily tell what's about to happen). ✔️
- Camera: front and back camera seem to work. The flash also works. ✔️
- Charging: it charges, but the icon doesn't change to indicate it's plugged in. I don't know if that's intended. ✔️
- Flashlight: does not work.
- HDMI output: crashes the phone.
- Screen orientation stuff: almost perfect. ✔️
- Physical keyboard inputs: impeccable. ✔️
- Physical keyboard backlight: does not work.
- Cellular Internet: does not work. That is also a big issue.
- MMS: does not work. Yet another big issue.
- Telephony: I had a very problematic issue on my first install. After doing a full firmware restore and a clean Ubuntu Touch install (didn't transfer previous home directory), things seem to be working.

All in all: great OS, not ready for daily use on the Pro1 yet.

I wouldn't consider Ubuntu Touch as being ready for use as a daily driver until it has GPS, cellular internet, and MMS working.

Edited by Raksura
  • Thanks 2