Pro¹ X – state of production and delivery

8 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Have I missed some announcement, or am I interpreting what they are writing wrong? Will it initially be available with these two OS only? I see no mentioning of plain stock Android.

I did notice that they in the May update mentioned these two, but did not reflect on stock Android not being mentioned.

Add: The June update mentioned it though (my emphasising):

....initial drivers and optimisation of Android OS on the new SD662 board

So I assume I am just over-interpreting.....

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Production does indeed seem to be starting...  

Please stop. You made your points, there are people here who invested in this project knowing that, you are doing a disservice to the intent of the project and to those that have supported this f

Since I ordered my first Fxtec phone, a Pro1, in Sept 2019 (which also seems to become the one to arrive last...) I've read everything Fxtec communicated (plus every comment in this forum), including

Posted Images

I think, as before, Android is being done "in-house" by their contractor.  This update is talking about getting reference devices to external developers and that those devs have made progress.  At least, that's my interpretation.  😉

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Hook said:

I think, as before, Android is being done "in-house" by their contractor.  This update is talking about getting reference devices to external developers and that those devs have made progress.  At least, that's my interpretation.  😉

That contractor has been MIA for more than a year now. lol

I don't think we will see official stock android 10 anymore. Although a heads up from Fxtec would be well appreciated at this point because everything points to the base Pro1 being left for dead. (save for Lineage and Linux...)

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Tsunero said:

That contractor has been MIA for more than a year now. lol

I don't think we will see official stock android 10 anymore. Although a heads up from Fxtec would be well appreciated at this point because everything points to the base Pro1 being left for dead. (save for Lineage and Linux...)

The Pro1 certainly won't be updated, but I'm still pretty sure the contractor is working on the Pro1x, whether the same contractor or a different one.  They most likely had to initiate a new contract. The contractor does the initial development job but is pretty bad at any maintenance follow-through.  I assume that will probably be true for the Pro1x as well-- it will get an initial not well refined version of Android (probably 11) and will fall behind over time.  I suspect they don't have a lot of choices of contractor and that they have no clout at all being a very small company.  They get what they can afford.  I've been in the position of contracting from a very small player.  It's not a pleasant experience.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

As mentioned in our May update, we experienced a delay whilst waiting for Qualcomm to approve the amendments we made to the Snapdragon 662 chipset. In addition, Shenzhen has recently experienced a covid outbreak resulting in our engineer team being unable to get into the office and isolating themselves for 21 days. To be honest, this has been a bit of a logistical nightmare seeing as our components suppliers in Taiwan were affected and tough mobility restrictions have only just been lifted this week. This has impacted the delivery of key components required to begin manufacturing devices this month. With this in mind, we have re-evaluated the manufacturing timeline and expect shipping to begin between October and November.

A 600,- 662 phone delivered 2022. It's obsolete the day it's released 😖

Edited by DieBruine
11 hours ago, DieBruine said:

As mentioned in our May update, we experienced a delay whilst waiting for Qualcomm to approve the amendments we made to the Snapdragon 662 chipset. In addition, Shenzhen has recently experienced a covid outbreak resulting in our engineer team being unable to get into the office and isolating themselves for 21 days. To be honest, this has been a bit of a logistical nightmare seeing as our components suppliers in Taiwan were affected and tough mobility restrictions have only just been lifted this week. This has impacted the delivery of key components required to begin manufacturing devices this month. With this in mind, we have re-evaluated the manufacturing timeline and expect shipping to begin between October and November.

yes yes it is, cpu wise. But the keyboard is timeless. The Question is only, what is the keyboard worth for you?
I am currently an owner of a fried prawn, using my old phone (nokia 6.1). I do not miss the faster cpu, I miss the keyboard... every f**king time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
On 7/15/2021 at 10:04 PM, DieBruine said:

True, if you don't count the keyboard...

Still, my impression – not just from what I myself do (hardly any of which needs more than a low-end SoC) , but also what I read about SoCs and their real-world performance – is that 3 or 4 years old high-end chips like the SD 835 we have in our Pro1 hardly show any lack of real-world performance even today. And the more current, but also more lowly SD 662 shows similar CPU benchmarks, it's just the GPU that comes with a potentially noticeable drop of performance. Any real world applications which don't heavily rely on GPU performance will work just as well as with the Pro1 – which should be good enough for almost anything anyone will ever try to do with it for a few years to come...

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, OKSun said:

What is the source of the info? Did I miss any official communication on this?

It would indeed be nice with some official info on what is going to happen with the original Pro1 - I am unaware of any info. Peronally I have given up hope on any updates. And should we get any after all, I will see it as a pleasant surprise.

So I guess our best chance of a somewhat updated Android system is LineageOS 18, optionally with OpenGapps or MindTheGapps. But it will require som rooting trickery for some security demanding apps like banking apps to work... See the LineageOS 18 thread

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, OKSun said:

What is the source of the info? Did I miss any official communication on this?

Sorry, I did say that with a bit too much certainty.  I have no official source for that, but now that they are focused on developing for the 662 SOC and, given that they have not provided any updates for over a year, I find it unlikely that they can spread their limited resources to providing updates for the 835 SOC.  Would love to be wrong.  As @EskeRahnpointed out, Lineage is currently required to keep the Pro1 up to date and I have happily gone there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, EskeRahn said:

Stick-splitting: slightly under, it was stamped 2020-08-25. 😇

True, but I believe the security update was April 2020, which was the yardstick I was using.  😉

• Like 1
On 7/20/2021 at 10:20 AM, zundappchef said:

honnestly i have given up ever getting one 
Hope they had fun with my money

Lets see if Blackberry wil come forward 2021 like they prommised 

They actually have a pretty good track record in delivery the stuff sometime.
It just takes forever.

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
August Pro1-X update

geufbeq1vhaavdyhompp.png

Dear Pro1-X backers,

We hope you are doing well. Here is the latest news from the Pro1-X campaign!

Our team has continued making progress on the hardware front this month. Here is the breakdown: 

• The new IMX586 camera module is now fully functioning, with the autofocus and flashlight fully refined for capturing the perfect pic!
  • As the IMX586 camera module wasn’t previously in sync with the SD662's default driver list, our engineers have now successfully re-written the drivers for it.

Watch on Vimeo

Watch on Vimeo

• The volume rocker is fully functioning.
  • Three coloured LEDs for your notification alerts are bright and fired up.
  • Both the physical keyboard and backlight are also completely tuned, tested, and ready for typing! 

Watch on Vimeo

• This video shows the keyboard's backlight working. 

Watch on Vimeo

• This video shows the full keyboard

Watch on Vimeo

• We are currently tuning NFC and optimizing the sound driver as well as a few other key sensors. 

With very few features left to optimise, we plan for the Pro1-X to be fully tuned by the 23rd August! After this, our factory will assemble the first few (SD662) Pro1-X samples ready for OS development, support, and testing! 

We then plan on sending the assembled sample devices to UBports, Lineage OS, SailfishOS, and mainlining developers, and will update you in due course about software progress. 

Thank you for your ongoing contribution and support to the Pro1-X Indiegogo campaign! As always, If you have any questions or queries do not hesitate to drop us an email to [email protected]!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Wow, that's great news. 😀 Maybe I've become jaded over the years but I was expecting delays until the end of the year. Kudos to FxTec for making steady progress and keeping up the communication.

The keyboard backlight video looked interesting, hopefully the light will be more evenly spread across the keys than the bright spots we get currently.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 8/17/2021 at 9:39 AM, Noob said:

was expecting delays until the end of the year

Your expectations have just been fulfilled. This is delays until the end of the year. It looks like they don't have a fully assembled device yet. They are just saying they will assemble the first prototypes late August, more likely in September I guess. We would be lucky to get the first devices to customers before the year is over.

On 7/17/2021 at 8:15 AM, Rob. S. said:

True, if you don't count the keyboard...

Still, my impression – not just from what I myself do (hardly any of which needs more than a low-end SoC) , but also what I read about SoCs and their real-world performance – is that 3 or 4 years old high-end chips like the SD 835 we have in our Pro1 hardly show any lack of real-world performance even today. And the more current, but also more lowly SD 662 shows similar CPU benchmarks, it's just the GPU that comes with a potentially noticeable drop of performance. Any real world applications which don't heavily rely on GPU performance will work just as well as with the Pro1 – which should be good enough for almost anything anyone will ever try to do with it for a few years to come...

SD835 is about 5-6 years old depending on when you start the clock, but I digress...

While I agree that regarding raw power and specs don't matter on their own, they do matter in the context of an Android device that doesn't have vertical integration of software and hardware. Apple has proven this concept with a much more refined experience with less hardware (ram, battery, etc). Google has followed suit on this idea with their pixel line. The pro1 doesn't have the benefit of this integration, so in my opinion, the specs do matter.

5 minutes ago, Apextech said:

I paid for an original Pro1 back in Feb 2020. I'm still waiting on it.

I wonder how many of you guys there are. Hope they are going to ship your Pro1X first.

Edited by Slion
  • Like 3

I'm hoping to retire my Moto Z3 one of these days (as the Livermorium Keyboard Mod ain't happening).  Do we think fxtec will be able to make enough of the redesigned Pro1X's to cover all of the existing orders, and have stock left over to sell retail?

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, Apextech said:

I paid for an original Pro1 back in Feb 2020. I'm still waiting on it.

Sep 2019 here 😆 – plus a Pro1X order from Oct 2020, to improve the odds for getting at least one phone at some point.

It's all very well for me to laugh of course since in the meantime I was lucky to get a pre-owned Pro1 and I'm totally happy about it...  

• Like 3