Pro1x - really poor connectivity to both wifi and cellular.

5 minutes ago, Rob. S. said:

Just for the record, what I thought to be a general deterioration of 4G connectivity in my closer vicinity after the radio masts around here all have been modified to support 5G recently, actually seems to be on the receiving side, i.e. the phone. For testing purposes I've now revived a 6+ year old Chinese 4G USB dongle that works slow (5 Mbps), but reliably, where the Pro1 X gets no throughput at all. This is indeed disappointing. As a workaround, I've now got myself a second SIM card for my account and ordered a portable 4G router...

So, is this just for your Pro1x. I found these same results for my Pro 1 when I first got it, which was one of my motivations for having a cheap Moto phone as phone and for Android Auto while using the Pro1 as a pocket computer (with the Moto sometimes providing the hot spot for the Pro 1.  I've always suspected the materials in the casing as being part of the problem, but I am not knowledgeable here.  I will say, I still love the functional split, but maybe because I spend 80% of my time on the Pro 1 and only 20% on the Moto.  Tells you how much I use a phone at all.  :D

I'm just curious, not having my Pro1x yet, if it is more extreme with the Pro1x than it was with the Pro 1.

• Like 1
  • Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, it appears that I was able to repair my Pro1-X's radios. Previously, telephony and mobile data wouldn't work for me, as documented earlier in this thread. WiFi, Bluetooth and GPS had always w

It's hard to say whether these antenna connectors were broken when shipped, or due to disassembly on your part. Have  you've heard the antenna rattle inside the phone when you first received it? Would

Got a response back, apparently it's something they are aware of and looking to come up with a patch very soon. So looks like it's a firmware issue, rather than a hardware issue thankfully.

Posted Images

@Hook Yeah, I understand your motivation well. Personally, I was always happy with the Pro1, both with the phone and with the connectivity, including listening to web radio in my car on some of the roads around here, even though the network coverage in Germany is generally bad, specifically in rural areas; no matter in which direction we leave the country the coverage immediately gets much better as soon as we cross the border. I've left my old Moto Z3 Play in the drawer as a spare phone for emergencies...

I've now fitted the new SIM card into my "old" Pro1. In a first comparison, suddenly the Pro1 X connects, too, and shows similar throughput as the Pro1... I'll carry the Pro1 along with me for the next few days, alongside the Pro1X, and see how it goes. I'll report back.

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately, today's experiment has confirmed the suspicion. Where the Pro1X frequently loses connection and, if the connection's there, shows varying transfer rates from abominable to acceptable, the Pro1 took me through the whole day at acceptable transfer rates without a single failure. While sometimes both connections were similarly fast, here's one comparison I did immediately one after another which shows the perceived difference (1: Pro1, 2: Pro1X). Also note the the download and upload latencies (right to the ping). 

1-pro1.png.a50668738a91b8b7fd4d1067d5fd0900.png

2-pro1x.png.a663dced7d5ec6f9d3c862fdb5e9c258.png

[Edit:] This is Vodafone LTE in a less than optimal location.

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Sad 3

My above speed test was via Vodafone LTE in a sub-optimal but (with the Pro1) ok location.

Pro1X WiFi connection for me is similar to the Pro1, too. Only in edge cases where the Pro1 just kept up the connection the Pro1X now just doesn't – which unfortunately describes my bedroom 😆 If the WiFi connection is lost, though, I usually get a somewhat usable mobile connection, so it isn't a catastrophe. Possibly have to relocate the closest WiFi 'satellite' box a bit (although I remember finding a place for the Pro1 to connect was already a bit of an adventure...)

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Like 1

I am having the same issue with my cellular antenna. No one can ever hear me for very long. Calls always drop. even with excellent reception. I have recoreded memos and the microphone on the device works fine. I always have to text instead. which is usually ok. but sometimes I really need to call a business and speak verbally with the representative. I am a backer. I have been waiting and hoping for an update. Since FX tec stated they fix whatever reasons preventeted updates on the Pro 1. However I have yet to see an update for the Pro1 X. Some help please.

• Sad 2

Having a Pro1X since August on Salt Network in Switzerland and observed a clear weaker cellular connectivity comparing to other phones in my company with the same provider. The mentioned waiting time before call-start or even non-availibility for incoming calls is a regular fact. 

After now a week of business-traveling with roaming in Italy, I plan to change my phone. Comparing to my business-partner with a Z-Flip I was often lost with connectivity, or with a rate below 1Mbit with a Samsung on full speed beside me.  My physical-keyboard-phone is worthless, when I live on the moon with it. 

To be honest, an "update in the near future" will not solve all issues listed on this board and can even arrive in Q4-2023 to be soon for FXTec.

• Sad 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I've had my Fxtec Pro 1X for a couple of weeks now. Something I noticed almost straight away is very very unreliable connection to both data and phone calls. If I ring someone it takes about 30 seconds to connect, or it will just beep and drop off. Same behaviour for both sims, and both were perfect in my previous phone.

APN's etc are detected correctly so it's nothing weird like that. I've emailed Fxtec support but got no response in a week, so thought I'd reach out to the community. Any ideas what might be happening? I'm hoping it's a software bug that will get fixed, I'm happy with my phone aside from this.

Thanks

• Sad 1

See 

They have at least acknowledged this in the latest indiegogo update:

We understand some users are experiencing poor cellular signals and occasional call drops, our team is looking into this with an effort to produce an OTA within the next month or two. 

But it's not looking good as this has been known for super long and the announcement says they're just now (??!!!) starting to look into this. Still one can expect a software fix at least, though it's not certain.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2022 at 6:47 PM, RichC73 said:

Just had delivery of the Pro1x and it is a great phone, however the wifi and cellular data connectivity is appalling! I struggle to connect to a router that is only a few feet away, and my old cheap Nokia G20 connects to the network and cellular data absolutely fine.

Little point having an all singing and dancing phone when it can't get the basics right.

Any pointers anybody? And don't say it's my provider or wifi router as all other devices in the household connect fine.

Same for me.  In December's update, this issue along with NFC not working is being investigated. 

On 12/19/2022 at 2:18 AM, doubleddav said:

Hi All,

I've had my Fxtec Pro 1X for a couple of weeks now. Something I noticed almost straight away is very very unreliable connection to both data and phone calls. If I ring someone it takes about 30 seconds to connect, or it will just beep and drop off. Same behaviour for both sims, and both were perfect in my previous phone.

APN's etc are detected correctly so it's nothing weird like that. I've emailed Fxtec support but got no response in a week, so thought I'd reach out to the community. Any ideas what might be happening? I'm hoping it's a software bug that will get fixed, I'm happy with my phone aside from this.

Thanks

Similar behaviour to my phone. Useless for making calls.  Will need to buy a new phone if not resolved soon.

On 8/15/2022 at 10:29 PM, claude0001 said:

I would advise you to relax. I guess, much of your first impression is determined from what other phone you come from.

I asked, and @EskeRahn reported a direct comparison of the Pro1-X and Pro1 above, which I interpret as "on-par-within-the-measurement-uncertainty". @Rob. S. reported similarly in a different thread.  I own only a Pro1, and was never super-happy with its WiFi or LTE connectivity, but it has still been perfectly usable over the last two years. So, in your place, I wouldn't worry too much about that point right now.

Don't worry about not being able to use a phone as a phone? 😳

On 9/25/2022 at 6:01 PM, eorg said:

I have an additional issue, where quite often I sit directly beside the router ~1,5 meters away, and I am not able to connect to it, although the signal indicator is showing full strength. And sometime, I am connected with a wifi, and it shows strong signal and saying 'connected' but any app tells me, there is no network connection, and I should try again. when I restart the phone, connection is mostly mots of the time fine, for some time.

Any ideas about that? Haven't yet tried a lot of mobile connection, so am not yet able to say anything about that.

So I highly hope, this is a soon fixed software issue, I desperately need this to be my daily driver, since my old BBPriv is getting extremely unreliable and has only batter for about 4-6 hours, when I leave it alone.

You should see the state of my BBKeyOne!  Think Sellotape and the battery packed up a week before delivery. 😨

On 11/5/2022 at 10:40 PM, liquidvx said:

I've revisited this thread multiple times in hopes of finding a solution for Tmobile. I love my pro1-x keyboard, but i'm about to give up on this device because i cannot make phone calls.

• server not found, and cellular service drops entirely
  • If a call connects, the audio drops out on both sides, i cant hear them or they can't hear me.
  • i cannot even check my voicemail because the service can't hear my complete pin number

Does anyone have experience with getting the phone to work with Tmobile in California?

Similar experience on EE, UK based. 

I live in Australia and am having the same issues. I believe (hope) this is a bug, and that it will get fixed - soon. I really hope so anyway, reading comments on XDA and here I get the impression Fxtec are not responsive.

I don't suppose they read these forums? Sometimes companies read comments on community forums 🤷🏻‍♂️

55 minutes ago, doubleddav said:

I don't suppose they read these forums? Sometimes companies read comments on community forums 🤷🏻‍♂️

It is user-to-user, but none the less sometimes they do read and react, I see no clear pattern in when though.

• Thanks 1
On 12/29/2022 at 4:26 PM, suicidal_orange said:

That is concerning - you'd think being a UK based company this would be one place that it worked at least acceptably.

I'm on O2, via Giffgaff, also in UK (Northampton). I spent a few hours of trial-&-error yesterday trying to figure out if there was anything I could do, eventually resorting to a full factory reset. Nothing helped. It was still extremely hit-&-miss; my issue being cell network connection for incoming calls (making calls & WiFi being OK). A phone that doesn't work as a phone is no use to me, so I'm back on my Moto One Zoom - reluctantly 😒 coz having waited 3-yrs to get my hands on a Pro 1, I really love the flip keyboard! 

• Sad 1

Sooo ... I finally got myself an additional SIM for my Pro1-X. And ... things seem to be bad ... Very bad ... So bad, that I now regret relativizing some of the devastating experiences others have posted here before ...  Apologies, guys!

I got my Pro1-X two months ago (from Expansys) and found its WiFi and GPS functions to be somewhat on par with the - albeit not great - capabilities of my Pro1. Based on that, I extrapolated that telephony could not be much worse, either. I think I've never been that wrong!

After a few hours of testing, the Pro1-X's GSM/LTE modem seems to be a disaster (I'm on 2.1.5-GMS-less). I have a single point in my flat where I get any service at all. (The 835-Pro1 has LTE everywhere, I'm in the middle of a major German city!) Even in that spot, I was only temporarily able to get some mobile data transfer. Most of the time, the browser would stall with a "no network" error message, even with the statusbar indicating 4G service available. Up to now, I have also not been able to either initiate or recieve even a single phone call! I tried several network settings, "LTE", "Global", etc. I also tried to enable/disable VoLTE (my carrier supports both on the Pro1) or Voice-over-WiFi. To no avail.

Frankly, this is a nightmare! I have now serious doubts that the Pro1-X will ever be able to replace my (835)Pro1.

• Sad 1
7 minutes ago, claude0001 said:

Frankly, this is a nightmare! I have now serious doubts that the Pro1-X will ever be able to replace my (835)Pro1.

For me, I had call initiating/receiving problem from the very first time I have turned it on.
(Basially it worked mostly once after restart...)
However, I had a feeling it is a modem problem and not necessarily reception, so I am waiting for a software upgrade which potentially improving very bad modem problems - and I hope updating its firmware is possible...

I did not have enough time to follow its progress anyway but I hope they will find a solution.

On 1/9/2023 at 9:49 PM, claude0001 said:

Frankly, this is a nightmare!

Totally agree. I've emailed FX support - heard precisely *nothing* back (other than automated acknowledgement) v.v.sad 😞

• Sad 1

I logged a request about this weeks ago. I did eventually hear back, they asked for my imei and a recording of a phone call, which I provided. In my example, the call connected but took 50 seconds to do so. I also sent a link to this topic as well.

I haven't heard from them since though.

7 hours ago, doubleddav said:

I logged a request about this weeks ago. I did eventually hear back, they asked for my imei and a recording of a phone call, which I provided. In my example, the call connected but took 50 seconds to do so. I also sent a link to this topic as well.

I haven't heard from them since though.

What's your ticket ID? I'd like to follow up with this. Thanks.