Pro1x - really poor connectivity to both wifi and cellular.

Just had delivery of the Pro1x and it is a great phone, however the wifi and cellular data connectivity is appalling! I struggle to connect to a router that is only a few feet away, and my old cheap Nokia G20 connects to the network and cellular data absolutely fine.

Little point having an all singing and dancing phone when it can't get the basics right.

Any pointers anybody? And don't say it's my provider or wifi router as all other devices in the household connect fine.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, it appears that I was able to repair my Pro1-X's radios. Previously, telephony and mobile data wouldn't work for me, as documented earlier in this thread. WiFi, Bluetooth and GPS had always w

For anyone in Australia using 3G and worried about the impending shutdown of Telstra's 3G network, I finally figured out how to enable VoLTE. I am with Aldi Mobile (Telstra) and have been using the  "

It's hard to say whether these antenna connectors were broken when shipped, or due to disassembly on your part. Have  you've heard the antenna rattle inside the phone when you first received it? Would

Posted Images

2 hours ago, aaroncv3 said:

Same.  I bet this is a radio firmware problem, not a radio hardware problem.

I'm sure as more people get their devices, these kinks will get worked out.

I hope you are right. We will have to wait and see to we have more units delivered to see if this is for a specific unit, or a general issue.

Though at the least for the Astroglide, radio firmware is bit more complex to update, according to the EE section of their update - it might or might not be the same for Pro1X.

• Sad 1
9 minutes ago, suicidal_orange said:

Maybe the antennas aren't properly attached?  Not sure about the warranty effect of opening it up to check...

Could be. But before opening I would contact FxTec ( https://www.fxtec.com/support ) and hear their opinion on the subject - as a user to user forum, it is never sure if FxTec sees a post (or even thread) in here.

5 hours ago, sdl said:

Its the same for me, in general connection strengths for all types of network aren't as good/reliable as my old phone (BB Priv).

If I recollect correctly we had similar reports in here on the Pro1. Though not as bad as @RichC73 reports.

52 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

If I recollect correctly we had similar reports in here on the Pro1. Though not as bad as @RichC73 reports.

My experience isn't quite that bad, I suppose, although it is struggling to keep a 5ghz wifi connection 10ft from my router - and you have to get within 6 before it gets to 'Good'. 

Having taken it outside for the first time over my lunch break, its also failing to keep a reliable 4G connection outside when its never been a problem before.

It loses the ability to use our wifi on either 2.4 or 5 far closer (8ft closer at least) than my Priv can keep a very reliable 5ghz connection going.

Really hoping something can be done to make it better than it is, its bordering on unusable - I'll happily try stuff out...

• Sad 2
On 8/9/2022 at 7:04 AM, sdl said:

My experience isn't quite that bad, I suppose, although it is struggling to keep a 5ghz wifi connection 10ft from my router - and you have to get within 6 before it gets to 'Good'. 

Having taken it outside for the first time over my lunch break, its also failing to keep a reliable 4G connection outside when its never been a problem before.

It loses the ability to use our wifi on either 2.4 or 5 far closer (8ft closer at least) than my Priv can keep a very reliable 5ghz connection going.

Really hoping something can be done to make it better than it is, its bordering on unusable - I'll happily try stuff out...

Well i thought i double posted a response to this, but now i only see the one i edited and removed everything.

Anyway, I have two 5 GHz access points in the house, one is 25~30 feet away, mounted on the ceiling, within perfect, unobstructed line-of-sight.  And the signal strength is "Fair" to "Poor".

No 2.4Ghz access points in the house.

• Sad 1
On 8/6/2022 at 6:56 PM, brunoais said:

Send an e-mail to [email protected] identifying yourself (including your order (website) or igg backer id) complaining about that. Your unit may be defective.

If you bought it, it's under warranty. If you're a backer, you can hope f(x)tec will uphold their voluntary warranty.

After a few days of trying to persevere I've sent an email detailing the issues and unfortunately had to go back to my cheap £100 Nokia for the time being. I will await the response.

• Sad 1

I'm also having cellular connectivity issues.  Even with 2 bars incoming calls are often not received and go to voicemail.  Outgoing calls seem slightly better but there are still issues connecting.  One odd thing is that when an outgoing call is successfully placed, the phone displays full bars for a bit (which is unlikely given coverage here), then drops down to the "real" value after the call is disconnected.

2 hours ago, RichC73 said:

After a few days of trying to persevere I've sent an email detailing the issues and unfortunately had to go back to my cheap £100 Nokia for the time being. I will await the response.

Got a response back, apparently it's something they are aware of and looking to come up with a patch very soon. So looks like it's a firmware issue, rather than a hardware issue thankfully.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
3 hours ago, RichC73 said:

Got a response back, apparently it's something they are aware of and looking to come up with a patch very soon. So looks like it's a firmware issue, rather than a hardware issue thankfully.

I'm very hopeful now when I finally receive my pro 1x.  I was very worried reading the current issues everyone has been experiencing, especially the network signal weakness.  If it's a firmware issue and not hardware like they said I'm crossing my fingers the update will come out within a month or so after everyone has finally received their phones

Edited by Mysti-Que2020

I don't have anything to add except that I am experiencing the same issue with wifi. I am literally less than 3 metres from a good quality wifi access point, through no obstructions. The phone connects on 5GHz and gets a "fair" signal but then usually switches over to 2.4GHz as the signal gets too weak.

I have not tried cellular yet, but this thing might need to remain in its box until there's a firmware patch.

It's worst of all with phone calls. My voice half the time won't get through to the other end. I can hear them, but not vice-versa.
Every so often I'll get an error when dialing a phone number where it states there was a connection issue of some sort and advises me to call #8899. I did so and discovered that seems to be an automated system for troubleshooting connectivity to specific phone numbers, whereas this certainly appears to be clientside.
Like OP's phone seems, I strongly suspect my phone is defective.

I am concerned support isn't going to get the ball rolling before my 30 days return policy or whatever is up...

WiFi and LTE connectivity seemed quite bad to me already for the original Pro1.

With reports about bad network quality of the Pro1X accumulating here, is there anyone who can compare the two devices side-by-side?

Edit: Re-reading the thread, I found that @matf has reported similar signal levels for his Pro1 and Pro1-X. Both phones have metal bodies that are certainly not helping their radios. Is this a real problem of the Pro1-X or are we chasing a ghost here?

Edited by claude0001
1 hour ago, claude0001 said:

WiFi and LTE connectivity seemed quite bad to me already for the original Pro1.

With reports about bad network quality of the Pro1X accumulating here, is there anyone who can compare the two devices side-by-side?

Edit: Re-reading the thread, I found that @matf has reported similar signal levels for his Pro1 and Pro1-X. Both phones have metal bodies that are certainly not helping their radios. Is this a real problem of the Pro1-X or are we chasing a ghost here?

Some simple non-comprehensive non-scientific tests seems to show that the Pro1X is a tad better than the Pro1 with WiFi 5HGz, about 4db, (placed on the same spot within 1cm) though AIDA64 says the linkspeed is somewhat better on the Pro1. (520 vs 433 Mbps)
If I try the Titan Slim at the same spot, it reports the exact same linkspeed as the Pro1X, but the signalstrength, is about 10db better...