Protective Case Suggestions and Ideas

11 hours ago, SchattengestaIt said:

The numbers are edited into the pictures on the bottom right. The order is: 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3

Ah! I had to purposely look there to see them. I have a hard time finding things when there's low contrast 😝

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First testprint made last night. I've split the bottom up in 2 parts to figure out how well the fit is. there is some slight (2mm) missalignment of the buttons and usb-c header and the camera placemen

I made a leather pouch for the Pro1. I used cow leather, thickness about 2 mm. All the parts are glued with super glue gel adhesive which remains flexible. I made some holes to see the led and to get

Just finished a quick sketch of the bottom part of the protective cover:   Will run a test print tonight to get first dimensions with hard plastic to see how the shell fits, then adjust

Posted Images

Currently working on a new low profile bookcase, I reckon I still have like 12 hours of stitching to go through. I had to remove the stitches to be able to incorporate the smartcase magnet, move the closure magnet to accommodate for the Pro1 thickness and customize the back panel to enable kickstand feature.

Compress_20211010_103104_4727.thumb.jpg.782f7949cf5e8f30f9a9aa49b9e71a02.jpg

Compress_20211010_103105_5023.thumb.jpg.9d8df7c9e869a261881bc2171623dd5f.jpg

Compress_20211010_103105_5243.thumb.jpg.44f8d254962b10fed0c48c006eff6a7f.jpg

Compress_20211010_103105_5572.thumb.jpg.e754b480ee485ffd9a6cce765efd9ebc.jpg

Compress_20211010_103105_5821.thumb.jpg.f8f68a958d72c451ee68286a78436fde.jpg

Compress_20211010_104413_3137.thumb.jpg.6f50777976bb5546da340c031861bf0d.jpg

Compress_20211010_104412_2794.thumb.jpg.2ca4769252f2aae976045f8b1113e563.jpg

• Like 6

Done with stitching. I love the leather quality, really soft, one of the best I've seen. I need to finish the cutouts on the bumper case and glue it to the leather. Will hopefully get around it tomorrow. The case is 75g that's 25g lighter than the one I've been using so far. Moreover I reckon its lower profile will be more confortable to use, notably when the keyboard is open. The closing latch is on the front panel which is a rarely seen design. As a result when closed it won't lay flat on it's back which should make the phone easier to pick up, not that this was ever a problem considering the thickness of our Pro1s. I really wonder what it will be like to use.

Compress_20211011_225945_5222.thumb.jpg.0cfa5208d21577a9856cd91b7c439c63.jpgCompress_20211011_225945_5435.thumb.jpg.de3192178b0e315f9063c91f3ce02c94.jpg

Edited by Slion
  • Like 6
15 hours ago, EvilDNA127 said:

That looks quite amazing.

I really like it too, though the closing strap on the front panel does take some getting used to. It has both pros and cons. I should get used to it after a couple of weeks I reckon. Still I could not prevent myself from making plans in my head on how to modify that case so that the strap is attached to the back panel 😁 However it will be a while before I attempt something like that again, if ever. That was a lot of stitching...

Edited by Slion
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Slion said:

I really like it too, though the closing strap on the front panel does take some getting used to. It has both pros and cons. I should get used to it after a couple of weeks I reckon. Still I could not prevent myself from making plans in my head on how to modify that case so that the strap is attached to the back panel 😁 However it will be a while before I attempt something like that again, if ever. That was a lot of stitching...

If you should endeavour in the project again, you should consider the variant where the straps meet at the side

https://community.fxtec.com/topic/2681-how-to-openshut-the-pro1/?do=findComment&comment=42061

Whether is should open as a 'Japanese' or 'western' book is a matter of taste of course.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, EskeRahn said:

If you should endeavour in the project again, you should consider the variant where the straps meet at the side

https://community.fxtec.com/topic/2681-how-to-openshut-the-pro1/?do=findComment&comment=42061

Whether is should open as a 'Japanese' or 'western' book is a matter of taste of course.

Yes, I had that solution in mind too.

One issue I have with that case is that it seems to deposit a lot of dust on the screen. I'm thinking it is caused by the inside leather layer which has a nubuck or suede finish not sure which one. I'll attempt to clean it with a some tape hoping it will improve things. Moreover I'm expecting that layer to become smoother overtime which should fix the issue, though that could take months.

17 minutes ago, Slion said:

One issue I have with that case is that it seems to deposit a lot of dust on the screen. I'm thinking it is caused by the inside leather layer which has a nubuck or suede finish not sure which one. I'll attempt to clean it with a some tape hoping it will improve things. Moreover I'm expecting that layer to become smoother overtime which should fix the issue, though that could take months.

Honestly, I've never seen a case that doesn't end up capturing dust on whatever surface it covers.  One of the many reasons I won't use cases. 😉

• Haha 1
42 minutes ago, Hook said:

Honestly, I've never seen a case that doesn't end up capturing dust on whatever surface it covers.  One of the many reasons I won't use cases. 😉

I agree. The back of my daily driver is most likely just as worn as if I had not used a case. Though the wear with a case is 'spotted'.

Attach01.jpg

4 hours ago, Slion said:

Still I could not prevent myself from making plans in my head on how to modify that case so that the strap is attached to the back pane

This. That's also the most annoying issue I have with my flap case, which otherwise serves me well (see earlier in this thread). The strap is somehow always in the way, especially when taking pictures in landscape orientation.

When opening the flap by 360° it is possible to get the strap magnet to attach itself to the flap "in reverse", which gets both out of the way. But you obviously can't take pictures in that configuration.

What's more: in my case the magnet of the strap is exposed (i.e. not embedded in the leather, like in yours). Believe it or not, it has left scratches on the screen by now (Magneto: "Take that, Gorilla Glass 3 (tm)!"). Argh.

1 hour ago, Hook said:

Honestly, I've never seen a case that doesn't end up capturing dust on whatever surface it covers.

1 hour ago, EskeRahn said:

I agree. The back of my daily driver is most likely just as worn as if I had not used a case.

Guys ... you do need to clean your gear from time to time! 😄

Ever heard of this (famously quoted in Kubrick's "Full Metal Jacket")? Different device, same approach. 😉

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, claude0001 said:

This. That's also the most annoying issue I have with my flap case, which otherwise serves me well (see earlier in this thread). The strap is somehow always in the way, especially when taking pictures in landscape orientation.

Well, that's not an issue with my latest case as the strap is on the front panel. I'm actually starting to like that strap. I'm somewhat a lefty and it turns out I mostly grab my phone with the left hand and with that design I can actually grab the phone, unlock the strap with the thumb and open the case one handed. I reckon I could also swipe the fingerprint reader in the same move, just need to register that part of my thumb.

One drawback of the missing strap on the back panel is that I can't lock my phone safely in the car mount anymore... I guess I'll have to find another car mount.

Edited by Slion
3 hours ago, claude0001 said:

Guys ... you do need to clean your gear from time to time! 😄

Though it does not look like it, it IS clean. it is dust&pocketlint that have crept into the case, that have 'sanded' down small areas of the back

In hindsight it would have been wise to add a small sheet of some tissue between the TPU-casing and the Pro1

R1091393_crop.jpg

And though the above might look like deep dents, they are so shallow I can hardly feel any difference sliding a fingertip over the back

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

The cover for the P20 Pro I bought on Aliexpress looked good.
The translucent part is hard. The colored part is semi-hard.
The side part is open so it does not interfere with the power button or fingerprint sensor.
I just took the plunge and cut the part that got in the way with nippers. There seems to be no problem with strength. There is no problem with the strength of removal.
Unfortunately, the LCD cannot be protected, so I would like to attach it to the flip cover.

Pro1cover1.jpg

Pro1cover2.jpg

Pro1cover3.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
18 hours ago, CharaMel said:

Unfortunately, the LCD cannot be protected, so I would like to attach it to the flip cover.

Indeed, this works fine. Personally I recommend attaching this so it opens like a Japanese book, as the flip part is thus not interfering with the keyboard usage. Plus it protects the buttons and fingerprint reader when closed. See e.g. earlier in this thread.

But it is a matter of taste. As a 'westerner' it feels odd opening it like a Manga.

• Like 1
On 2021/11/20 at 午後3時50分, CharaMel said:

私がAliexpressで購入したP20Proのカバーは良さそうだった。
半透明の部分は固いです。着色部分はセミハードです。
側面は開いているので、電源ボタンや指紋センサーと干渉しません。
思い切ってニッパーで邪魔になった部分をカットしました。強度に問題はないようです。除去強度に問題はありません。
残念ながらLCDは保護できないので、フリップカバーに取り付けたいと思います。

Pro1cover1.jpg

Pro1cover2.jpg

Pro1cover3.jpg

I bought it here.

https://ja.aliexpress.com/item/4000021614410.html?channel=twinner

Since it was supposed to be processed, I bought more than one, but it was cheap and saved.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, CharaMel said:

I bought it here.

https://ja.aliexpress.com/item/4000021614410.html?channel=twinner

Since it was supposed to be processed, I bought more than one, but it was cheap and saved.

One thing to be aware of when choosing a shell, is that it should not be too stiff, as the pro1 is not completely flat. I bought a few stiff ones also, but found that they did not fit.

シェルを選択する際に注意すべきことの1つは、pro1が完全に平らではないため、シェルが硬すぎないようにすることです。硬いものもいくつか購入しましたが、合わないことがわかりました。

The cover I bought was exquisitely stiff and tall enough.
It maintains sufficient hardness even after processing. It also has the softness required for installation, so it feels like a good fit for the Pro1.
Attaching the cover creates a small gap between the LCD and the keyboard, but it doesn't seem to be a problem.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I tried to combine the TPU case that I announced the other day with a notebook type cover, so I will inform you of some.

The cover for Huawei P Smart 2020 can beautifully expose the rear camera and rear microphone.
However, it seems a little small to replace and use the TPU case.
Also, the holes made for the fingerprint sensor are meaningless.

20211216131852~2.jpg

20211216131932~2.jpg

20211216132016~2.jpg

20211216140921~2.jpg

• Like 1

The notebook-type cover for iPhone 11 Pro MAX has a large hole on the back of the TPU case, making it difficult to cut. Therefore, you cannot get beautiful results.
The iPhone 11 Pro MAX is bigger than the Pro 1, but it's just the right size to replace the TPU case with a notebook cover.

Processing the TPU case is easy and can be completed in a short time if you are not aiming for a beautiful finish.
All you need is nippers, a cutter and a hair dryer.
It's not a Pro1 exclusive cover, but it's not bad to wear.
I got a defensive Pro1 cover.
I would like to buy a little more iPhone 11 Pro MAX cover and process it for Pro1.

20211216140056~2.jpg

20211216140132~2.jpg

20211216140243~2.jpg

20211216140847~2.jpg

Edited by EskeRahn
ENGLISH PLEASE! Google-transalted the text
5 hours ago, CharaMel said:

iPhone 11 Pro MAX用のノートブックタイプのカバーは、TPUケースの裏側に大きな穴が開いており、切り取りにくいです。したがって、美しい結果を得ることができません。
iPhone 11 ProMAXはPro1よりも大きいですが、TPUケースをノートブックカバーに交換するのにちょうどいいサイズです。

TPUケースの加工は簡単で、美しい仕上がりを目指していない場合は短時間で完了できます。
必要なのは、ニッパー、カッター、ヘアドライヤーだけです。
Pro1専用のカバーではありませんが、着用感は悪くありません。
防御的なPro1カバーを手に入れることができました。
iPhone 11 Pro MAXのカバーをもう少し購入して、Pro1用に処理したいと思います。

Det duer ikke hvis vi allesammen skriver på vores eget sprog.... I mangel af bedre brug google translate.
Jeg har erstattet ovenstående med indhold fra Google translate, så må du tilrette hvis nødvendigt....

Det duer ikke hvis vi allesammen skriver på vores eget sprog.... I mangel af bedre brug google translate.
Jeg har erstattet ovenstående med indhold fra Google translate, så må du tilrette hvis nødvendigt....

Valóban nem működik, pedig milyen jó is lenne... nesze neked Bábel. 🙂

Ehh - it does not really work with my native language...
However, DeepL does its job really well... just try to compare what Google Translate and DeepL do with the sentence above. 🙂

Anyway, to be ontopic - I have successfully bought again the very same Protective Case what I currently use.
It was made for Elephone U Pro and it only has one big oval hole near camera instead of several holes which I used to get when I have tried to order spares earlier.

Edited by VaZso
  • Like 2
  • phoebus2000 changed the title to Will Pro1 3D printer files for a case work with Pro1X?