Waxberry

Protective Case Suggestions and Ideas

20 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

How thick is the whole thing closed?

As it is (unmodified) it seems to bulge slightly in the middle, with a maximum thickness of around 25mm.

While the case latch does close, the case is so tight it doesn't take much force to unclip it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lameboyadvance said:

As it is (unmodified) it seems to bulge slightly in the middle, with a maximum thickness of around 25mm.

While the case latch does close, the case is so tight it doesn't take much force to unclip it.

I see. I feared it was worse with the extra layer. Cutting out the creditcard-part is likely to reduce the thickness and at the least reduce the closing issues.

On the simple cases I'm using I 'broke' the edges slightly (cardboard beneath the fake leather) to ease the bend. Similar might be possible on yours.

16 hours ago, Tsunero said:

After a long search I found a case that might work out of the box.

https://www.puro.it/en/smart-wallet-universal-xxl.html

I will let you know about it once it arrived.

It (or something very similar) is mentioned earlier in the thread. The problem i had with it (as i recall) was the gripping and the buttons/fingerprint reader

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

It (or something very similar) is mentioned earlier in the thread. The problem i had with it (as i recall) was the gripping and the buttons/fingerprint reader

I think the buttons and fingerprint reader will be fine because there is a hole on the side of the grip. The grip itself could turn out badly but we will see. In case it will block the screen from opening I will just shave away the top of it or something. A bit expensive for an experiment but I want a case with the least amount of DIY modifications.

I found similar cases but their grip didn't have a hole and I figured I would just break those trying to make a hole.

Edited by Tsunero
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

The Puro case arrived. (https://www.puro.it/en/smart-wallet-universal-xxl.html)

It's a mixed bag. (sorry for crap photowork tho)

Size comparison with the pre-order sleeve:

It's a bit bigger but the size is correct, including thickness. The quality is very nice and this eco-leather is amazing to the touch. The magnetic latch is very strong.

EELxkkj.jpg

GPZuG3v.jpg?1

Wb5KWeG.jpg

2XSbuE9.jpg?1

About the mechanism inside:

Thanks to the holes every button is accessible. However you can only position it in two ways. You cannot position it on the power and volume buttons. (red)

1. Together with the power button and fingerprint reader. I deemed this the best as it's almost dead center. (green)

2. Only with the fingerprint reader. (yellow) This is off center a bit so not the best.

672QpSQ.jpg

The mechanism itself is very strong but the curvy plastic part is in the way and it forces itself between the keyboard and screen so you cannot close it properly.

JImSFjD.jpg

rMEbj0v.jpg

6jNMgzz.jpg

The sliding part is also a bit problematic, it's too short so only one camera is visible when you pop it up.

To be honest I am not sure how to go about modifying it.

I could either grind that plastic somehow to make it fit better and allowing the screen to close. Not sure what would be the correct tool. I don't want to mess it up badly.

Or scrap the whole inside part and somehow install something that will fit the phone correctly. I would have to cut the camera hole though.

Edited by Tsunero
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Tsunero said:

Thanks for all the details. Yeah, it does look like it would be a bit hard to get a good result

I guess it could be a possibility to make a minor cut for the secondary camera and a hole exposing the flash when slid up.

And possibly you could reduce the height of the two 'jaws' to allow a better close, while still keeping a good grip.

And anyway a (tiny) hole for the secondary microphone when down should be considered. The position might not be that easy to gett right though, as I guess the natural thing to do for calls would be to slide it up about 1cm to expose the earpiece.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Tsunero said:

Or scrap the whole inside part and somehow install something that will fit the phone correctly. I would have to cut the camera hole though.

I'm most satisfied with the TPU case I used on that mod:

I used some shoemaker glue to fix it to the leather, works great.
I did four cutouts, power button, fingerprint reader, camera button, USB port.
If I was to do it again I would possibly not cutout an opening for the camera button as it adds a tiny bit of instability in that corner. Though the phone still holds in place nicely so I guess it is still acceptable if you fancy using that camera button.

Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2020 at 12:41 PM, Tsunero said:

The Puro case arrived. (https://www.puro.it/en/smart-wallet-universal-xxl.html)

It's a mixed bag. (sorry for crap photowork tho)

Size comparison with the pre-order sleeve:

It's a bit bigger but the size is correct, including thickness. The quality is very nice and this eco-leather is amazing to the touch. The magnetic latch is very strong.

About the mechanism inside:

Thanks to the holes every button is accessible. However you can only position it in two ways. You cannot position it on the power and volume buttons. (red)

1. Together with the power button and fingerprint reader. I deemed this the best as it's almost dead center. (green)

2. Only with the fingerprint reader. (yellow) This is off center a bit so not the best.

The mechanism itself is very strong but the curvy plastic part is in the way and it forces itself between the keyboard and screen so you cannot close it properly.The sliding part is also a bit problematic, it's too short so only one camera is visible when you pop it up.

I could either grind that plastic somehow to make it fit better and allowing the screen to close. Not sure what would be the correct tool. I don't want to mess it up badly.

What happens if you flip it around?

Edited by mv
cut out media
  • Like 1