Please enlighten me if I am wrong here, but I have never heard of bad software screwing up your SIM-cards, so I don’t understand why people are so hesitant to try the BETA-phone as their daily driver. If I get the beta-test, I will absolutely try to use it as my main phone and see where it holds up and where it doesn’t.

Or can bad OS brick SIM-cards?

Well as software still at Beta levels, strange things can happen, however unlikely they may seem...

Calls interrupted, lacking notification on calls/mails/sms/... or the other way round Sound could go off when it is supposed to be silent.

It might seem like a mail or sms is sent though it is not. Files you download or creates, can get lost or tampered... Contacts lost.

An update can mess it up completely until the next update, leaving you with a useless device in the meantime.

...Well only the fantasy set the limits. Not that any of this is very likely, but you should have a back-up device to be sure you can do important stuff when needed.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well as software still at Beta levels, strange things can happen, however unlikey…

You are right. Strange things may happen which is normal at beta stage.

It is important to have most of the problems vanished at launch time to give the highest possible satisfaction for the first users which is necessary to get the highest reputation, thus, higher number of orders later.

That is why beta testing is a good idea.

Well as software still at Beta levels, strange things can happen, however unlikely they may seem…

Calls interrupted, lacking notification on calls/mails/sms/… or the other way round Sound could go off when it is supposed to be silent.

It might seem like a mail or sms is sent though it is not. Files you download or creates, can get lost or tampered… Contacts lost.

An update can mess it up completely until the next update, leaving you with a useless device in the meantime.

…Well only the fantasy set the limits. Not that any of this is very likely, but you should have a back-up device to be sure you can do important stuff when needed.

So sounds like a normal windows 10 update and most supplier-versions of android...

I still remember the time I had a phone which worked all the time, it was a N900 with maemo 5 on it (fantastic OS, unfortunately marketing beats quality).

But you are right, a backup may save some nerves. Imagine having to ride a train for an hour and your phone does not allow you to stream a movie.

I did not get any e-mail :/ last ones came to me without problems, I checked in spam and it is not there too… I feel omitted :( or are maybe it does not apply for preorders from Poland?

I'm fairly sure the mail is for everyone, checked junk folder? If you drop me a line here I can forward you the one I received (I don't want to post my e-mail address straightforwardly because spam).

A newsletter just landed in my mailbox! And it reads: “Once we have the confirmed shipping date, we will be requesting payment for the Pro1 you have pre-ordered. We anticipate that payment will be requested at the end of July, ahead of an expected shipment date in early September.” :).

https://www.fxtec.com/product/fxtec-pro1-pre-order/

"...we will not be asking for any payment details until 2-3 weeks prior to shipping"

Newsletter

"...that payment will be requested at the end of July, ahead of an expected shipment date in early September."

These numbers do not tally; early September is at least 6 weeks away from the end of July!?

Also... Why no share the cause of the delay? ...People are (almost) invariably more confident in a transparent company. :)

A newsletter just landed in my mailbox! And it reads: “Once we have the confirmed shipping date, we will be requesting payment for the Pro1 you have pre-ordered. We anticipate that payment will be requested at the end of July, ahead of an expected shipment date in early September.” :).

https://www.fxtec.com/product/fxtec-pro1-pre-order/

“…we will not be asking for any payment details until 2-3 weeks prior to shipping”

Newsletter

“…that payment will be requested at the end of July, ahead of an expected shipment date in early September.”

These numbers do not tally; early September is at least 6 weeks away from the end of July!?

Also… Why no share the cause of the delay? …People are (almost) invariably more confident in a transparent company. :)

No, early September can be as few as 4 weeks (give or take a couple of dangling days) from the end of July. ;) Look, the original was written at the beginning of the year as what they were hoping for at a point where they really couldn't make accurate projections. Even with this new estimation, they have rightly qualified it with "anticipate" and "expected." I am confident they are going to get them out as soon as they can with the quality they want. I'm also sure they won't ask for money until they are sure on the delivery, whether it's 3 weeks or 6 weeks. As long as they keep me updated on the timetable, that seems good to me. YMMV

• 3 weeks later...

It may be time to "Fall 2019" back to avoid a second round of decelerating fallout. Announcing "sometime in 2019" a few weeks before September 23 will be a death sentence for my tolerance. At that point, I'll just wait for the Pro2, and I'll bet I am NOT alone in that decision critical timeline. I have the option to flash my 0 miles- still in box Droid 4 and put up with Verizon's rolling blackout of 2G/3G across the nation........

The first units are planned to be shipped until mid-september. This is the status Adrian shared during the Meeting in Düsseldorf on 23rd. As said elsewhere, expect an official announcement and a newsletter next week!

The first units are planned to be shipped until mid-september. This is the status Adrian shared during the Meeting in Düsseldorf on 23rd. As said elsewhere, expect an official announcement and a newsletter next week!

It's good to know that.

Did Fxtec team shared any info about how many devices will be shipped per week?

I have the option to flash my 0 miles- still in box Droid 4 and put up with Verizon’s rolling blackout of 2G/3G across the nation……..

How are you going to use it for voice calls after they shut down non-LTE? Do you have some way to do VoLTE on it?

Just QWERTY versions?

Any infos about QWERTZ shipments?

unfortunately they didn't share any numbers, I asked for them. But it was pretty clear, that the first units will be shipped out then. They will not be able to fulfill all the pre-orders within the first weeks.

unfortunately they didn’t share any numbers, I asked for them. But it was pretty clear, that the first units will be shipped out then. They will not be able to fulfill all the pre-orders within the first weeks.

Thanks for info, all of this gives quite clear view on the status of the project. I hope that they will be able to fulfill all preorders in reasonable time. I preordered extremely late because I didn't see that preorders are "pay later" ones so my order is 22xxx. I wonder if current manufacturing plan even assumes producing so many devices, having to wait for Winter 2019 or even year 2020 would be quite too long.

Another thing, I wish that the Fxtec team would share all that information on some kind of news feeds. There are still no official announcements after Düsseldorf but it seems that they shared quite a lot info there.

Another thing, I wish that the Fxtec team would share all that information on some kind of news feeds. There are still no official announcements after Düsseldorf but it seems that they shared quite a lot info there.

If you click the little bird icon on the top right of your screen right now, that's their twitter feed; it has one photo from Dusseldorf.

i'm sorry, normally i'm patient when it comes to these kinds of things... i can attest to that with my z2..... still waiting for that keyboard. i have to say the way this is happening is giving me deja vu .... big time.

because that past haunts this these particular set of engineers i would hope that this time around especially they would be doing a much better job with upholding the integrity of their products punctuality. in large part this isn't their first time around the block. and its starting to look like one of the worlds longest 'on the job training',,,, keep at it they'll have an incredible product and no one to take it seriously.

as i see it there are two ways to combat these downfalls is simply not to say anything at all or push some product to the market. its clear they can't go with the first option, nor the second best thing-accuracy in what they are saying. but i'm betting they wouldn't get as many preorders (which they probably need) if they transparently said "handsets will be ready to ship come november".

from the "never cancel only....." remark that they're trying to make all the revisions that would normal be made between the second and third models (first model - with kinks, second - kinks ironed out, third-cheaper manufacturing).

all in all a little more transparency wouldn't hurt......

as i see it there are two ways to combat these downfalls is simply not to say anything at all or push some product to the market. its clear they can’t go with the first option, nor the second best thing-accuracy in what they are saying. but i’m betting they wouldn’t get as many preorders (which they probably need) if they transparently said “handsets will be ready to ship come november”.

There is an official statement that deliveries will start in September. I see no reason to believe that it will get to november. The production of the phone is most likely quite fast. So chances are good, that we all receive our handsets until Oktorber. As long as we do not hear anything else from fxtec there is no reason to believe otherwise.

There is an official statement that deliveries will start in September. I see no reason to believe that it will get to november. The production of the phone is most likely quite fast. So chances are good, that we all receive our handsets until Oktorber. As long as we do not hear anything else from fxtec there is no reason to believe otherwise.

That is correct. As we're now approaching the mass production stage of the Pro1, shipping is expected to start by mid-September. Depending on your pre-order number, the Pro1 should arrive at your doors before October.

@erik-fx: Will the indiegogo backer orders be processed first as promised?

Correct. Indiegogo orders will receive priority shipping. As those are a relatively small number, this will not affect shipping times for our early Pro1 pre-orders who don't have the IG compensation deal. IG deals, alongside other, non-Indiegogo orders that were paid first will be shipped together.

Erik

I have the option to flash my 0 miles- still in box Droid 4 and put up with Verizon’s rolling blackout of 2G/3G across the nation……..

How are you going to use it for voice calls after they shut down non-LTE? Do you have some way to do VoLTE on it?

I was told that they would simply be "turning off" CDMA/EvDo November-December, as opposed to AT&T who is outright removing UMTS/HSPA equipment as they get around to it. In my city all of VZW's pre-LTE-only base stations are still transmitting CDMA/1X/EvDo so we still have seamless full coverage- for now. Very useful for LTE congestion relief. As for the D4, in the Programming menu which can be accessed using a shortcut app, option 7 has a "Data call enabled" check box but it won't stay checked after reboot and I don't know if OMAP has provisions for VoLTE. Makes me even more eager to get my Pro1... and maybe another if I can cough up more.