Pro 2 - rumor and speculation thread

There are hints (ok, A hint) that fxtec are planning a second phone after the pro 1 that might incorporate more nostalgic features.

"F(x)tec is also already planning its next smartphone, which is set to bring back more nostalgic features from the ghosts of the mobiles past." - stuff.tv

link: https://www.stuff.tv/fxtec/pro-1/review

What features and/or specs would you like the eventual pro 2 to have?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Or is it that they think the ideal size for a TV is 1" larger than a phone?

I think the most common themes here are that the Pro2 should have a smaller size available and have dual SIM plus simultaneous uSD and not drop any of the other features, such as the 1/8" jack. Person

I think we're just people with large hands 😎

Wishes for a Pro2 / some are not easy to combine, but just wishing here - un-prioritised ...

1) Landscape keyboard slider (of course)

2) Back that is a removable batterypack, that comes in more than one size (optimally Slim, Std and Large)

3) Physically no more than 65mm wide (one hand operable by most adults)

4) Dual SIM and/or eSIM

5) Separate hybrid UFS/MicroSD slot (UFS-cards means that the build in storage can be kept lo, to keep the price down, with no performance penalty)

5) IP rating

6) FM-Radio

7) DAB+ Radio (yet to see a phone with it....)

For me, the same design with more recent SoC, but most important part to improve is:

- Support for two SIMs and microSD card simultaneously.

This is the only feature I lack of the upcoming Pro1 which makes me trouble as I have to solve it somehow... :S

It is a really huge usability drawback for me... :(

• Thanks 1

My wishlist.

1) Landscape keyboard slider (of course)

2) Dual Sim

3) Smaller screen (around 5")

3b) narrower body, Pro1 keyboard is a little bit wide for my taste

4) Different Fingerprint sensor placement (under the screen?)

5) Wider angle for camera lens - similar to Xperia X

5b) Single camera module with large sensor.

5c) built-in mount for external lenses - there are third-party cases that are compatible with Moment lenses, maybe it is possible to incorporate the mount directly to phone backpanel.

This one may also apply for Pro1 with next major software update.

x) Desktop mode on external screen, not something fancy like DEX, just usable state for what's been already found at Android Q.

• Thanks 1
(Curved edges is difficult to stick Screen Protector.)

Nope, as long as the display only curves in one direction it is fairly easy to have a real glass protector.

They exist for many other models, including BB Priv and several Samsung Galaxy S-series models.

Also be aware that it is harder to open a tilted slider with box-shape(!) I tried to illustrate it in another thread

So it would require substantial tilted bezels, like those e.g. the Nokia E7 had, for good reason.

See e.g. this from gsmarena https://fdn.gsmarena.com/vv/reviewsimg/nokia-e7/gal/gsmarena_018.jpg

• Thanks 1

Battery life and having a polished full linux distro would be my dream.

The N900 was so very nearly the perfect device. All it lacked for me was a good navigation app. The ability to swap out the battery was also very useful.

I wouldn't worry if it was a tilted slider, a flat slider or clam style like the old communicator range as long as there is a full qwerty keyboard stashed inside.

• Thanks 1

I probably won't be in the market for a Pro 2 unless I want a second phone (or it takes 10 years to come out ;-) ), but here is what I would want.

I personally would not want a smaller screen or keyboard, but would like to see a smaller model for those that want it. I will never buy a phone with a less than 5.7" screen again, prefer 6.0+"

I would like a removable battery and a means of externally charging the batteries (cord or cradle).

I would assume a more recent Snapdragon, but really don't care if it's up to date. I want a phone like this because I write stuff, not play games. ;-)

So mostly, I'm happy with what I'm getting in the Pro1

• Thanks 1

I personally would enjoy an input method for a cursor and scrolling, maybe like what Blackberry does with their keyboard (although I'm sure the arrow keys will function for scrolling). Probably the least practical ask, but something for me personally. Other things I would wish for include:

Updated SoC, preferably flagship, but a gen behind would be fine by me. (I don't even really mind 2 gens behind, but with how fast things move its only a matter of time before devs stop supporting the 835)

Support for more cellular frequencies, 802.11ax WiFi, and 5G compatibility.

Removable back compartment for battery.

Upgraded quick charge (personally I wonder why they went for 3.0 when the 835 supports up to 4.0, but that's a question for another time).

Dual sim with an additional MicroSD slot so I'm not choosing one or the other.

Please keep the 1/8th jack. I have no doubt they will, but I just want to vent about how annoying it is that companies are ditching the 1/8th jack.

I wouldn't mind having a smaller form factor device, but I don't really mind the current size of the device, considering it's about the same size (minus the thickness) as my current phone.

I'm not expecting what I say here to be considered with the Pro2, but I thought I would join in the fun.

So, yeah.

Everything I said above, and ditch the keyboard. Literally no one wants keyboard phones anymore. /s

• Haha 1

wishlist:

1. using keyboard like BB KeyONE/TWO, instead of a slider.

2. remove the useless front camera, LITERALLY, no quirks like filping or poping.

3. removable battery, at least 4000mAh.

4. diagonal length should no more than 5', not the screen, but the entire phone.

5. support for two SIMs and microSD card simultaneously rather than a hybrid slot.

actually what Fxtec attracts me most is the open policy like bootloader unlocked, officially supported LineageOS.

otherwise I would definitely choose BB, since obviously it is already matches multiple items from my wishlist.

• Thanks 1

1) firm mfg.and delivery dates - better customer communications

2) dual sim - SD simultaneously (VaZso, Eske)

3) replaceable battery, supports charging options

4) indestructible clamshell design, dual sided display, exterior display can have limited basic functions

5) mediocre camera to keep cost down

6) average processor

7) Like Hook, I write stuff and crunch numbers- could care less about personal video entertainment. I get plenty of entertainment watching the world around me - especially all those locked in the praying mantis pose feeding the tech vampires personal data, slavishly watching mostly useless stuff and completely oblivious to swimming in a world that is both beautiful and deadly. SO:

8) BUILT IN, rock solid DEVICE BASED PRIVACY.

1) Bigger display - most people anyways use their phones with 2 hands so that 1 hand operable thing comes at the cost of your eye sight (with longer use) and decreased usability as you have less screen real estate.,6.4 inch+ preferably 6.9. The bigger the display the more space for the battery

2) Bigger/replaceable battery - 4000 mAh+ the more the better, 5000 would be perfect

3) Average processor - nowadays everything runs smoothly even on mid-range SoC, these are also less power hungry

4) NFC, 3.5 mm audio jack and InfraRed blaster would be perfect

for the rest I couldn't care less :)))))

For me, the same design with more recent SoC, but most important part to improve is:

– Support for two SIMs and microSD card simultaneously.

This is the only feature I lack of the upcoming Pro1 which makes me trouble as I have to solve it somehow… :S

It is a really huge usability drawback for me… :(

Sorry for OffTopic, but there is a solution that 'Problem' : Hybrid Sim Slot Adapter

Sorry for OffTopic, but there is a solution that ‘Problem’ : Hybrid Sim Slot Adapter

Nice to know as a last resort, or an occasional holiday. But would much prefer an integrated solution, as this is really exposed, but could work inside a case, perhaps after a little digging in the case.

Sorry for OffTopic, but there is a solution that ‘Problem’ : Hybrid Sim Slot Adapter

Yes, I know. I have ordered some of them (which are already arrived anyway).

However, I don't know how well they fit and it is not a really good option, just some rude thing on a brand new phone. :S

Also, I don't know how it affects reliability, durability and speed...

Anyway, some members wrote 6"+ displays... I think it is really huge.

Pro1 is about the same diameter like my current phone, but it is also just fits in my idea - it is almost as big as a usual pocket.

I saw bigger phablets and I have found them too big to use them as a phone, and as a tablet, they are too small.

So I think a phone should be remain in a size which can fit in a pocket.

Anyway, some members wrote 6″+ displays… I think it is really huge.

Pro1 is about the same diameter like my current phone, but it is also just fits in my idea – it is almost as big as a usual pocket.

It is ever so slightly less than 6", 5.99" to be more precise. But remember when comparing sizes that it is more the width than the diagonal that matters. Many phones the last few years has elongated beyond 16:9. The Pro1 is 2:1 ( = 18:9 )

a 16:9 is 10% wider than a 18:9 of the same diagonal.

Or said otherwise the Pro1 display has the same Width as a standard HD-type display of diagonal 5.45. (Think like Nokia 8 Sirocco or Samsung S7 Edge)

Or said otherwise the Pro1 display has the same Width as a standard HD-type display of diagonal 5.45. (Think like Nokia 8 Sirocco or Samsung S7 Edge)

Yes and that is the reason why it is not as huge. My current device has 5.7" display and also has 18:9 aspect ratio, but lower body-screen ratio.

My current phone's dimension is 153.8 x 72.3 x 8.3 mm compared to Pro1 of 154 x 73.6 x 13.98 mm - so it is slightly wider, but not a big difference.

Am I the only one to notice that this thread is about a sequel to a phone that hasn't even shipped to first preorder clients yet? Take a deep breath, drink a glass of cold water and let the fxtec chapps finish off their first product and actually ship it to clients before discussing the next product maybe, hm?

Am I the only one to notice that this thread is about a sequel to a phone that hasn’t even shipped to first preorder clients yet? Take a deep breath, drink a glass of cold water and let the fxtec chapps finish off their first product and actually ship it to clients before discussing the next product maybe, hm?

Well I do not see the harm, they are unlikely to care about the thread at this stage sure, but I find it pretty harmless to vent how each of us would have their ideal device (given current technological limits).

As we all have different physiognomy and usage patterns, there will NEVER by a device that fits everyone. ANY device is a compromise between wishes, what is possible, and a combination of price and target group that is expected to make a profit.

I see a the Pro1 as a great step away from all the slabs, that differ more by their logos than their functionality.... And it is an easy win against any other device out there for me - but that is not the same as it is ideal for me.

...And I have self-contradicting wishes my self... Getting old, I can not focus at all distances with the same glasses any more, so for that reason I want large pixels/displays. But on the other hand I prefer a phone-sized device over a phablet, to be able to operate easily with one hand while keeping a secure grip, say walking the dog or fetching groceries. So I have to wait for a new UI-design that limits touch interaction to part of the display area (hardly going to happen with neither Goole nor aPple for many years if ever)., or have to accept either to use extra glasses with the phone or let go of one hand operability of a phablet. But until then I prefer a phablet just above the phone-limit that can for 90%+ be operated with one hand. So 'normal' tasks can be done with one hand.

Agreed there's generally no harm talking what and what not, but this might put pressure on the poor fxtec people, and I think they've got enough pressure on their backs already at this point. I'm eagerly waiting for pro1 to start shipping and get reviewed objectively by some respectable phone authority like techradar for instance. But for all I see this is very likely going to be my next phone, provided that it actually makes it to the market.

As for one-handed devices, I'd like to see something along the lines of old blackberries or nokia e72 come back - horizontal, small screen (at most 3") and full qwerty keyboard in a form factor that should easily fit in one hand yet remain comfy when using both hands to type quickly. Unfortunately the new blackberrys are just way too big for what they're trying to be, and their prices are way out of line with what's on offer technically IMHO. Personally I'd love to detox from being constantly online, I even tried that earlier this year with nokia 7110 - the new banana reboot. The phone fell just short of it's promises though, so I had to return it, but I'm still hoping there'll be a device for me on offer again one day :)

Agreed there’s generally no harm talking what and what not, but this might put pressure on the poor fxtec people, and I think they’ve got enough pressure on their backs already at this point. I’m eagerly waiting for pro1 to start shipping and get reviewed objectively by some respectable phone authority like techradar for instance. But for all I see this is very likely going to be my next phone, provided that it actually makes it to the market.

As for one-handed devices, I’d like to see something along the lines of old blackberries or nokia e72 come back – horizontal, small screen (at most 3″) and full qwerty keyboard in a form factor that should easily fit in one hand yet remain comfy when using both hands to type quickly. Unfortunately the new blackberrys are just way too big for what they’re trying to be, and their prices are way out of line with what’s on offer technically IMHO. Personally I’d love to detox from being constantly online, I even tried that earlier this year with nokia 7110 – the new banana reboot. The phone fell just short of it’s promises though, so I had to return it, but I’m still hoping there’ll be a device for me on offer again one day :)

I agree on the BB's. In my book they try to do both, and ends up doing neither... On one hand shrunken so the display is quite small by modern standards, and yet the keyboard is for two hands (for most people).

The obvious compromise answer (in my book) is a Landscape slider that is for two handed operation when opened, and yet small enough to be one hand operated closed.

As it is fairly easy to shift a device up and down in the hand with out losing the grip, it is primarily the short edge that is the issue. So shrink the width by 8-10% to the size of the Sony Xperia XZ2 Compac, Xperia 10 or Xpeia 5t and we are good to go...

I'm currently using a Samsung S8-, and most can be done by one hand, but the software keyboard is really hard to use without unwanted touches reaching over.

Samsung got a mode offering to scale down everything with a user selectable factor between 1.2 and 1.4 to a corner. Though it works, it is a sort of silly solution, to have 30-50% of the screen dead, and still have edge issues reaching across. I have suggested FxTec to offer something similar but smarter on the Pro1, I imagine that the user could 'simply' select the area they wanted active in Portrait, allowing the adjustment of ALL four boundaries independently, (like cropping an image) -similar independent crops could be offered for landscape. That could make those that prefer flat screens happier too...