Pro 2 - rumor and speculation thread

Remember how 6110, 6210, 6310 and 7110 nokias handled battery replacement? The battery was part of the case at the same time as it was providing the phone with juice. Because of that it was really easy for Nokia to offer bigger batteries – of course the price for that was a slightly bulkier phone, but hey – who’s to say there aren’t people willing to trade a little phone thickness for a little battery life. I for one would buy the biggest battery on offer for an e72 or similar sized handset.

I for one would certainly would love the option of having different battery-backs for different use cases. I loved that with my old Samsung s300 clamshell way back when Li-Ion was a new and exclusive option...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Or is it that they think the ideal size for a TV is 1" larger than a phone?

I think the most common themes here are that the Pro2 should have a smaller size available and have dual SIM plus simultaneous uSD and not drop any of the other features, such as the 1/8" jack. Person

I think we're just people with large hands 😎

Always interesting to see the variety of people's personal preferences. I'm always amazed at people who love the BB keyboards when I find them nearly unusable-- too cramped for comfortable typing-- which makes me worried about the talk of licensing actual BB keyboard. I'm actually not sure it would require a license, by the way. To me, a portrait keyboard would be a hard sell unless it was redesigned so that the keys had many of the characteristics of the slider keyboard, though obviously fewer keys.

So I'm happy to have F(X) Tec tackle portrait keyboards if enough folks would buy them, but, selfishly, only so long as it doesn't stop development of landscape slider keyboard models. ;-)

Always interesting to see the variety of people’s personal preferences. I’m always amazed at people who love the BB keyboards when I find them nearly unusable– too cramped for comfortable typing– which makes me worried about the talk of licensing actual BB keyboard. I’m actually not sure it would require a license, by the way. To me, a portrait keyboard would be a hard sell unless it was redesigned so that the keys had many of the characteristics of the slider keyboard, though obviously fewer keys.

So I’m happy to have F(X) Tec tackle portrait keyboards if enough folks would buy them, but, selfishly, only so long as it doesn’t stop development of landscape slider keyboard models. ;-)

I feel much the same. I had a BB Priv, and though way better than a phablet without a keyboard, there is no compare to a real landscape slider keyboard. ;)

But indeed variety is good, so if enough can be found interested, then why not?

• Thanks 1
the ability of using two SIMs AND microSD cards ... – the lack of this possibility really hurts me.

Not my idea, but one way to if you really need more than 128GB storage on pro1 may be to mount a microsd somewhere inside the phone and add wires over to the slot, similar to the way cornholio figured out how to add a sim slot to PQ, but instead of finding somewhere to an add an accessible sim slot, you could put the sdcard anywhere it fits and still have both sim slots. And of course you could hardwire one sim card the same way if you want a swappable sdcard slot, not permanent storage. Or maybe even real PQ simmod style where you add another sim slot - if you can find room. This assumes that a second sim and sdcard slot can both function at the same time of course.

Although other than storing lots of video, there aren't many cases where 128GB isn't enough storage for a phone. I haven't even filled the 64GB on z2f I've had over a year; although with 8GB on PQ, SD card is certainly needed if you want to run android 5 or later and want room for more than just a few extra apps.

Not my idea, but one way to if you really need more than 128GB storage on pro1 may be to mount a microsd somewhere inside the phone and add wires over to the slot, similar to the way cornholio figured out how to add a sim slot to PQ, but instead of finding somewhere to an add an accessible sim slot, you could put the sdcard anywhere it fits and still have both sim slots. And of course you could hardwire one sim card the same way if you want a swappable sdcard slot, not permanent storage. Or maybe even real PQ simmod style where you add another sim slot – if you can find room. This assumes that a second sim and sdcard slot can both function at the same time of course.

Although other than storing lots of video, there aren’t many cases where 128GB isn’t enough storage for a phone. I haven’t even filled the 64GB on z2f I’ve had over a year; although with 8GB on PQ, SD card is certainly needed if you want to run android 5 or later and want room for more than just a few extra apps.

To take advantage of two SIMs and uSD card together, one option my be an extension cable which one can use a uSD card in a slot outside of the phone - there are such cables exists on Ebay (I have also ordered some and they are arrived since then), but there are questions like stability / speed / durability, etc.

Another but destructive method could be to separate the microchip in a SIM card which may lead to a very slim SIM and it can be put together with a microSD card - it seems to be a very dangerous method, so I would like to try the first one, but an appropriate cable created specifically for this phone would be the best thing...

As of the 128 GB storage is enough or not... I would like to keep some of my data on an external card. I don't want to stress internal storage with 4k video recordings and so on.

Also, I am thinking of using my device as one of an online backup, which would also need space and run some specific programs like rsync.

My phone currently has a 32 GB internal flash with 20 GB of data and I also have a 128 GB uSD card with 58 GB of data and I don't use this phone to any specific things.

I would like to use Pro1 for a long time and I would like to not stress the internal flash too much for this reason - I fear one day the flash or the whole phone will die. If it will happen, I can not reach the internal storage even if I have data which I would like to access. Also, external uSD card can be replaced by time, but internal one will be the same "forever".

Additionally, if I would like to try another OS like Sailfish, an external SD may help a lot (maybe)...

For me, it would be not a phone alone, but a mini computer in my pocket (just like my N900 was).

It is possible to make a “hybrid sim-memory” – check videos on Youtube..
If the second sim is neccessary for you, then this could be a solution.

Indeed, AND as this phone is not glued together, the risk of it getting stuck in there is less. And the opening at the edge is not extremely narrow, so less risk of it getting stuck, and hence it should be a viable solution. 128GB is more than enough for me. So I'm not going to attempt it though.

Though IMHO I find it silly that they did not find a solution offering three slots (or a dual slot plus eSim)

ADD: I saw another video (forgot the link) where a slight grove was cut in the plastic of the MicroSD card to let the chip of the SIM go a bit down, making the whole thing thinner, and thus easier to work with. And here is one where they reduce the protective epoxy of the SIM

And as always, there's the obvious option to just plug in any pendrive through the type-c port... Can be on a piece of cable if someone fears damaging the port. For stuff like periodically downloading the content of the internal memory that seems like a no-brainer to me. I've got 128gb of internal storage on my current phone - Mi Max - and I've never used half of it, but if I did I would imagine this would be for stuff like videos, which I would probably want to work on using a full-blown pc anyways. Bottomline, 128gb is probably generous enough for 95% of the general phone user population, hence the decision on FXTec side went the way it did. There are hybrid solutions for 2 sim cards and an sd, even xiaomi has that in some cheap phones, but this is yet another element that kicks the price up a notch, and in order to keep it at bay some sacrifices need to be made here and there. Given the price of the current top of the range iphones or galaxy's, I'm happy with the sacrifices FXTec made here to be honest :)

Also a simple solution is to take INCREMENTAL backups to a pc, and this does NOT require any fancy software.

I made a small tool that can be found with source here https://eskerahn.dk/?p=1668 It is based on Christopher Geers’ PortableDevices, with small improvements and enhancements to have it work with devices on newer Android.

In addition to the keyboard, seconding these:

2) Back that is a removable batterypack, that comes in more than one size (optimally Slim, Std and Large)

4) Dual SIM and/or eSIM

5) Separate hybrid UFS/MicroSD slot (UFS-cards means that the build in storage can be kept lo, to keep the price down, with no performance penalty)

5) IP rating

6) FM-Radio

7) DAB+ Radio (yet to see a phone with it….)

and will add to that what I would like to see: 1 or perhaps 2 assignable buttons on the slot side so you can activate whichever features you need without opening up the phone, along with perhaps dedicated buttons on the front to pick up and hang up calls. Doing that only via the touch screen seems ridiculous to me, even if over time I were to get used to it and be fine with it.

I really would like to see the Keyboard from a Psion 5MX on a Phone.

Also, my Droid 4 can detect when you put it in the car dock, & goes in to car mode.

A specific(not generic) Car dock. etc.

Those kind of things can be done with Apps like Tasker or Automate. Switching profiles/connecting/App Starting depending on various variables like GPS location, time, connected BT device etc..

Always interesting to see the variety of people’s personal preferences. I’m always amazed at people who love the BB keyboards when I find them nearly unusable– too cramped for comfortable typing– which makes me worried about the talk of licensing actual BB keyboard. I’m actually not sure it would require a license, by the way. To me, a portrait keyboard would be a hard sell unless it was redesigned so that the keys had many of the characteristics of the slider keyboard, though obviously fewer keys.

The keyboard I'm thinking about is the one on the Passport, which can hardly be called cramped. :-) I'm pretty sure BlackBerry has a patent on the capacitive touch tech in that phone and in the later phones, but I could be wrong.

When I first saw the Passport, I balked at it due to the reduced key set, but I now love the thing - it's great to have the keyboard always there and ready (no need to slide/rotate the phone), and BlackBerry OS makes the experience great, even without the full set of keys. My only concern about the landscape keyboard is that pain factor of having to take it out, turn it round, open it, grip it in an awkward way, then finally get typing -- I worry that I'll end up not using the keyboard for quick texts/emails.

So I’m happy to have F(X) Tec tackle portrait keyboards if enough folks would buy them, but, selfishly, only so long as it doesn’t stop development of landscape slider keyboard models. ;-)

I hope we can have both too. :-)

I hope we can have both too. :-)

Would be nice, but remember that the keyboard-lovers is only a dwindling group these days, so might be a very little market if competing with the BB portrait keyboards. The Priv was not a huge success, and some of us only bought it in lack of a slider in the right direction. I mean the market is so small that BBmob have not found it profitable enough to even make a Priv2, and have not really updated their Key½ recently. And both would be MUCH cheaper than starting a competing design from scratch...

But sure if there is a market then PLEASE let us have different form factors for different people.I'm SO sick of just these oversized slabs offered by 'everyone'.

Also remember this interesting design-idea at idkul.com from 2010(!) that was never produced

FoldConcept

This would be even more interesting today with a folding screen...

This could be made both the size of a tablet folded to something of size like the Pro1 OR a more compact device with a keyboard about the size of a Priv, that could be folded really compact.

@okayphoneme I though that about opening closing all the time when I got my first slider phone you actually don't notice and automatically do it. On my N97 I found my self closing the thing as I didn't need the keyboard :D

@eskerahn love that design!

@okayphoneme I though that about opening closing all the time when I got my first slider phone you actually don’t notice and automatically do it. On my N97 I found my self closing the thing as I didn’t need the keyboard :D

@eskerahn love that design!

Yeah, love it too...

On the keyboard in either direction. I got the click on keyboard for the Samsung S8-, and found though it is rather nice for writing longer messages, for the quick replies I just used the touch keyboard swype-style.

I expect to do the same with the Pro1. Only use the keyboard when I need it, but not for the "OK C U" type of replies.

• 2 months later...
On 9/16/2019 at 11:33 AM, gohigher said:

1) firm mfg.and delivery dates - better customer communications

2) dual sim - SD simultaneously (VaZso, Eske)

3) replaceable battery, supports charging options

4) indestructible clamshell design, dual sided display, exterior display can have limited basic functions

5) mediocre camera to keep cost down

6) average processor

7) Like Hook, I write stuff and crunch numbers- could care less about personal video entertainment. I get plenty of entertainment watching the world around me - especially all those locked in the praying mantis pose feeding the tech vampires personal data, slavishly watching mostly useless stuff and completely oblivious to swimming in a world that is both beautiful and deadly. SO:

😎 BUILT IN, rock solid DEVICE BASED PRIVACY.

You don't want a ProX; you want a Cosmo Communicator, and they're available now and have been discussed here, too! 

On 9/23/2019 at 11:22 AM, Hook said:

Always interesting to see the variety of people's personal preferences. I'm always amazed at people who love the BB keyboards when I find them nearly unusable-- too cramped for comfortable typing-- which makes me worried about the talk of licensing actual BB keyboard. I'm actually not sure it would require a license, by the way. To me, a portrait keyboard would be a hard sell unless it was redesigned so that the keys had many of the characteristics of the slider keyboard, though obviously fewer keys.

So I'm happy to have F(X) Tec tackle portrait keyboards if enough folks would buy them, but, selfishly, only so long as it doesn't stop development of landscape slider keyboard models. 😉

I see no point in F(x)tec ever doing portrait while BlackBerry still is. My Droid battery died so I'm on my PRIV...there's nothing wrong with this thing if you like portrait......which I don't, but oh well. It's a good phone, and in some good ways reminds me of my old Palm Treo 650 and 700p. There's no reason to duplicate BB's efforts.

• Like 1

I think the most common themes here are that the Pro2 should have a smaller size available and have dual SIM plus simultaneous uSD and not drop any of the other features, such as the 1/8" jack. Personally I would love it if the Pro2 came in the same size as the Droid 3, which in most ways was my favorite phone of all time. If it weren't for Gingerbread and 512MB (mostly 512MB, because that was so limiting for custom ROMs) I'd probably still be using it. Given the choice, I'd have picked a slightly smaller Pro over what is available now. I'm sure I'll love the Pro1 but if I could get a Pro2mini that was 4.5-5" instead of 6" I assuredly would.

• Like 2

If I may, I heard a very nice case for stylus (maybe not Pro2, but Pro1S (for stylus, not for marketing) 🙂

one hyped vendor has a very nice feature where you take out a stylus and immediately start drawing on the black "turned off" screen, by the time you're done you have a nice little hand written note.