Spare Parts

On 3/4/2021 at 2:52 PM, Hook said:

So, yes, includes everything that goes in that half of the phone except the backplate, I would assume. 

7 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

From the images it would be more accurate to describe it something like "The upper part, less the plate with the hinge-mechanism".

As I said... 😉 😄

• Haha 1
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Background history Alright. So I broke my Pro1's screen. I don't know how the remaining scratches came to be, but the first one was the Pro1 falling off outside my bath tube (there was no wa

We send the screen part, not "just the screen" - that cannot be removed without a heatgun, potential damage and it's not something we provide. The screen part that we ship includes the frame arou

Ok, now I do: They're M1.4x2 and any shop that sells small screws should carry them. Also, they're easy to find in black, too, looking good enough for me to not bother with the black stickers anymore.

Posted Images

9 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

From the images it would be more accurate to describe it something like "The upper part, less the plate with the hinge-mechanism". But let us await an official answer to be sure.

Right, I think the same.

I think personnel at support don't really distinguish the display and display frame, but display frame and the top part it is attached to.

So I think the right question is not about the "upper part" but about "display frame".

• Like 1
On 1/26/2021 at 11:47 AM, david said:

Support emailed me today.  They will be sending me a replacement USB port.

It had been 5 weeks since I had last heard from support. They said they were waiting for a shipment, but expected to send my replacement USB port that week.  I thought it had been a long time in transit, so I emailed them to ask them for the tracking number.  They told me they never sent the USB port, as promised, and were short on parts.  Paraphrasing, they said they would send it when they get more parts.

Obviously, not very happy about them not sending it, nor the fact they didn't tell me they weren't sending it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
On 3/10/2021 at 7:33 AM, EskeRahn said:

From the images it would be more accurate to describe it something like "The upper part, less the plate with the hinge-mechanism". But let us await an official answer to be sure.

We send the screen part, not "just the screen" - that cannot be removed without a heatgun, potential damage and it's not something we provide.

The screen part that we ship includes the frame around it, so it's very easy to swap. The hinge mechanism is not included, as you don't need that to swap the display.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 9

Does FxTec sell separate usb ports or are they soldered to the main board? Mine seems to be dying due to frequent use (I work in field service, my phone is used as the navigation device and therefore connected 50% of the day). Would be great if I could buy 2-3 replacement ports since I always tend to break them very fast.

8 hours ago, SchattengestaIt said:

Does FxTec sell separate usb ports or are they soldered to the main board? Mine seems to be dying due to frequent use (I work in field service, my phone is used as the navigation device and therefore connected 50% of the day). Would be great if I could buy 2-3 replacement ports since I always tend to break them very fast.

The USB port is on a separate tiny pcb, (attached to the main board via a cable)

....And if they had added them to the spare parts sold through IGG, I too would have bought a bunch, as this on all phones is a weak point with much wear and tear.

May I suggest what I have done> Use an magnetic plug. Sticks out a few mm, but spares the port a LOT of stress. (can be bought for trifles, you should decide if you want charge only, or data also - charge only are the cheapest and there are more offers)
https://community.fxtec.com/topic/2368-magnetic-cables

• Like 3

Thanks for your advice. I know magnetic chargers and I've used them for a year now for my devices at work (tablet, phone, handheld scanner). But for a device I use many hours of the day, I don't like the idea of something sticking out. Especially since the charging port is really badly placed if you use your phone horizontally (I do that 99.9% of the time, even when checking the weather or browsing pictures) so it's always in the way. I'd love to have two ports or one next to the power button.

Your advice is still good though. As much as I hate it, I know that I will brake the port in the next time and if there are no replacement parts, that'll be the only way to go. I'll try and hope that I can adapt to it. Otherwise I guess I have to dremel the bottom of the phone to add a magnetic charging port inside of the case, probably sticking to the bottom (so it would be a flat area). I've always had this idea, maybe it is time to try it.

Edit: Oh and FxTec... PLEASE add those boards, sell them for 10€ if you wish, I'll buy them anyways.

Edited by SchattengestaIt
  • Like 1

To be honest, even though I never use a case, I don't even notice the magnetic connector sticking out.  It has never interfered with anything, never gotten caught on anything, I don't have paper clips attaching themselves to my Pro1 and it is very sturdy.  It doesn't even wiggle in the port.  It has become "invisible" to both my eyes and my fingers. I can't imagine not having magnetic plugs for any of my devices (have it on my Moto G8 Power as well-- Moto USB ports always mess up with continued use).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The only thing I'll add to the discussion of the USB port is that it is possible that heat from high speed charging could cause a problem with how the usb port makes connections to the separate PCB it is on.  It could cause enough heat to soften the solder.  The port sits on top of 24 *tiny* connections.  They aren't the type that connect out the back of the port.  I'm not saying this is definitely true, but just a possibility.  It does get very hot when charging at full speed.

Oh, and if the usb port does break, and you can't get one from fxtec, in theory, a new port can be soldered onto the separate PCB.  I wouldn't recommend anyone try this (for multiple reasons), but it is theoretically possible.

It would be great if they would sell the PCBs (with port) at a reasonable price.  As it is, it appears they don't have them in stock, so couldn't sell them if they wanted to.

Port, battery, screen, screen flex cable.  My wish list for available replacement parts (yes, I know the screen can be bought without the frame from China and is available with the frame from fxtec, as is the battery, with an unknown delay).

• Thanks 2
6 minutes ago, david said:

It could cause enough heat to soften the solder.

I doubt. Plastic would soften long before solder itself.
It should have a melting point much above 100 degree Celsius.

(It is around 183 degree Celsius for lead-based soldering which is prohibited to use for mass-production of consumer electronics and above 200 degree Celsius for lead-free solders...)

Right, USB connector may be replaced with another one, but it has a lot of connections.
Also, if the connector breaks ("comes off"), then PCB traces are potentially insured so replacing the connector is not easy...

• Thanks 1

What exactly is on the USB PCB?  I found this picture which shows it's more than a USB socket and a ribbon connector but it's too small to make out the rest of the components or if there's anything on the back.  Wondering if we can't just create our own (assuming common components that are available in times of covid) if they're unwilling to sell them.

On 1/22/2021 at 9:02 PM, david said:

I'm getting close to needing a USB port.  It could be anything, but it seems like a problem with the connections on the tab in the port not making proper contact with the cable end.  I can sometimes get it to work better if I flip the cable upside down or tilt the cable connector up or down.  This is on multiple, different brands of cables.

I had this same problem with mine, disassebled the phone and fixed the cable connecting the USB board to the main board properly in place, tada no more problem. Probably had come loose when i have dropped the phone. I thought about the port becoming loose too but it itself seemed very sturdy and not easily breakable like it was in E7.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/17/2021 at 6:03 PM, SchattengestaIt said:

Thanks for your advice. I know magnetic chargers and I've used them for a year now for my devices at work (tablet, phone, handheld scanner). But for a device I use many hours of the day, I don't like the idea of something sticking out. Especially since the charging port is really badly placed if you use your phone horizontally (I do that 99.9% of the time, even when checking the weather or browsing pictures) so it's always in the way. I'd love to have two ports or one next to the power button.

I use a usb qi receiver to charge my phone with a wireless charging pad. The usb connector is nearly flush with the edge of the phone, sticks out less than a mm. Tried using magnetic charger, but it sticks out too much.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I used the idea of @EskeRahn (without a case) and it worked mostly. The usb port was so wrecked that even the adapter was wobbling a bit but I could get a connection mostly. After some days of adapting it wasn't that bad either so I'll use this idea for my next phone for sure.
Why am I speaking of the future? Well, my phone was stolen two weeks ago so it won't matter anymore (I'll probably get back my money though). I've checked the shipping situation and it seems to be as bad as a year ago, used phones seem to be rare as well.

So if I ever get a new Pro1, I'll use this method to keep the USB port safe since I use it very frequently (I work in field service with my phone getting connected and disconnected 10 times per day).

I also like the idea of a wireless charging pad although I fear heat a bit.

@KaaliDid you make photos when disassembling the phone and USB port? I'm still considering removing the fingerprint sensor which I don't need and passing some thin/flat cables through the phone to have a secondary charging port. I probably won't do it with a new phone but it would be an interesting mod, especially for gaming and excessive typing.

• 2 months later...
On 1/26/2021 at 8:54 PM, david said:

On a related note, I asked support for technical specs on the screws that hold the Pro1 together, so I can try to source those somewhere.

Does anyone know what size they are and have a source for getting them?

Good question... Any new information on that, perhaps?

[Edit] Earlier, someone reported success with black screws (black in order to make the stickers superfluous) from a Nokia E7 repair kit, which I gather must be the smallest of the few sizes Nokia had used in that phone, which would be M1.0x1.9 ?

[Edit: No, it isn't. See followups...]

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Like 1
On 8/16/2021 at 9:10 PM, Rob. S. said:

[...] someone reported success with black screws (black in order to make the stickers superfluous) from a Nokia E7 repair kit, which I gather must be the smallest of the few sizes Nokia had used in that phone, which would be M1.0x1.9 ?

Ok, no, it isn't! That's too small. (And no, I won't reveal how much I paid for them... 🤨

Next size from the list of Nokia E7 screws is M1.4x2.3 which now should be the right one – also something similar enough should be much easier (and cheaper) to source... I'll report back later...

Edited by Rob. S.
On 1/26/2021 at 8:54 PM, david said:

On a related note, I asked support for technical specs on the screws that hold the Pro1 together, so I can try to source those somewhere.

Does anyone know what size they are and have a source for getting them?

Ok, now I do: They're M1.4x2 and any shop that sells small screws should carry them. Also, they're easy to find in black, too, looking good enough for me to not bother with the black stickers anymore.

(The black ones I just bought have a slightly thicker head than the original silver screws, but it's still flat enough for the black stickers to perfectly fit on top of them.)

P8208082.thumb.JPG.ac24c4b5f6cd288e4b89818aa587b986.JPG

P8208083.thumb.JPG.80b907389777c64670017712b85a31be.JPG

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 8
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2021 at 4:39 PM, VaZso said:

Okay, maybe this one is different (I mean better than the above). 🙂

I have bought it and it has a perfect fit (original is silver and this is black in the following photos).

image.png.88ca9c00a6615fa545ebdadd9bb88822.pngimage.png.c721dfc7732501ae48d88dd2fd8e29d3.pngimage.png.d08e05cc0e9e12d616da8d26c10a6aa2.png

...and in place:

image.png.9f2eb9495cecd0b8a9923b186401f085.png

So if someone would like to buy replacement screws, I recommend buying from the link above and the correct details are "M1.4 + 2mm" and 100PCS are to be sold currently at $3.38

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Hello you lovely community!

I have a question about the spare battery that is provided via Indogogo.
I tried using the search function but I didn't stumbled upon any information about my concern (maybe I am just blind).

My question: Does this battery also fit for the Pro 1 without "X"? Anyone tried this yet?

As long as we can't identify the model, it seems to be the only option to get a spare battery?

Thanks for your help in advance! 🙂

• Like 2
1 hour ago, lukluk91 said:

My question: Does this battery also fit for the Pro 1 without "X"?

I think they have tried to reuse all components in Pro1-X so it should work.
However, only F(x)tec may know it for sure.

1 hour ago, lukluk91 said:

Anyone tried this yet?

I don't think yet.

Edited by VaZso
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 2/14/2021 at 10:46 AM, jjarmasz said:

"Narcissistic camera: lol I like that.... 

But about the F(x)tec "tech kit: going for $219 right now: like you say, in includes a few things, like a spare battery. It's actually not a bad thing. But if I just need a screen assembly and don't want a battery I shouldn't have to pay for that too. Anyway... I'll keep you guys posted about what I do.

Ok, so way back when I said "I'll keep you guys posted" about my adventures trying to get my screen replaced. 7 months later, here's an update:

Tl;dr: I still have not been able to get an official replacement screen from F(x)tec. 7 months of having effectively abandoned my Pro1 for practical reasons, and not being involved with the community at all. Trying to talk myself out of demanding a refund for the replacement screen I ordered, but I can't say that's going well.

So the first thing I did was check eBay in case anyone was selling Pro1 parts, or just a dead Pro1 for parts. I was in luck! Or so I thought. Someone listed a broken Pro1 (but screen was ok) in an auction with a $50 opening bid. I usually avoid eBay auctions like the plague, but this time I thought "what the heck." And my bids were leading for quite a chunk of the auction, until the bids started going north of $300 USD and I thought "this is silly..."

So I reached out to F(x)tec and was informed that I did not have to order the "Tech kit" bundle, I could just order a new screen assembly alone for £149.00, and I was assured that I would receive it fairly quickly (still weeks, of course). I considered my options - still better than paying for a whole "tech bundle" and waiting August, but not quick enough to deal with the fact that I did not have a useable phone at the time. So after some thought, I decided to both get a new "cheap" phone (I'll spare you the namedropping) and order the replacement screen anyway. My Pro1 was to become a secondary phone, but I wanted to preserve it for posterity.

The invoicing and payment went smoothly and quickly, of course. But weeks passed, no sign of the screen or even that it was shipped. So in late April I enquire "what's up" and I get told the usual song & dance that supply of parts is still low and only a few screens are being produced, so my screen probably wouldn't be shipped until August after all. Fine, that was sort of what I expected anyway, and by that point I had committed to fixing the phone as a collector piece rather than my daily driver, but I was still not happy to have been told earlier that I would not have to wait until August. But, whatever, decided to wait...

So, August has come and gone, and not even a peep. I reached out to F(x)Tec in August, and predictably, I didn't even get a response back. I don't want to be the Nth person to complain about the awful customer service and communications - but come on! This is just pathetic. I don't want to rehash the endless discussions about the whys & hows of the abysmal customer communications that this company has, but I also can't pretend that it's anything other than abysmal. If it wasn't that we are all somewhat obsessed with keyboards on phones here, this company would not have made it past January last year. And yes, while my current daily driver is just fine - I want to chuck it across the room almost every time I try to type something on it. Screen keyboards still suck, and probably always will, but that's not a reason for us physical QWERTY enthusiasts to be left twisting in the wind.

Anyway... sorry for the rant I sort of promised myself I wouldn't write, but I really just want to know what the heck is going on with my replacement screen, and I'm "this close" to requesting a refund, because after all this time, this phone is clearly not part of my life anymore. Sigh...

• Sad 3