On the pre-production status

5 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

NO it was not, you remember wrong, sorry... That is a MUCH OLDER screen dump, as can clearly be seen by the "Shipping globally is estimated to be July 2019" that was changed around mid June. I do not remember the exact day, but on June 17 it had been changed to "Summer 2019", see e.g. this. So you dump is older than that...

We got a newsletter on July 2 saying "We anticipate that payment will be requested at the end of July, ahead of an expected shipment date in early September."

Unfotunately the WayBackMachine has no points between April and August of this page. But your dump matches how it looked in April and most likely unchanged until mid June.

So please stop trying to spread false information, and make accusations based on them..

I'm telling the day I ordered, it said ALL.  It was the reason I pre-ordered and I was not involved with the forum or newsletters at that time. I pre-ordered in July thinking they were starting to ship in July like the site said.  Yes that screen shot is an older dump and not mine.  It was however what was on the site when I ordered and the only reason I pre-ordered.  I don't really care anymore.  I'll probably never get this  phone shipped anyway at this point.   

Edited by Siani_8
  • Confused 1
  • Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just had to create an account to chime in as a voice of reason here, because there is some seriously toxic entitlement going on in this thread. I, as I'm sure pretty much everyone else who actu

Thanks for pointing out before the mass panic :). Corrected to January as it was meant.

Some pages ago during December I requested a refund for preorder, and decided to wait till FxTec could actually deliver. Everything has been processed in a friendly and timely manner :-). What I can a

Posted Images

1 hour ago, SchattengestaIt said:

@Erik VW delayed their production restart since they don't get parts in time. Could you tell us if the factory has all parts for the remaining (pre)orders over there or do we have to fear more delays due to delivery shortages?

Anyway, also the amount of workers in the factory may be a real problem in China (as travel restrictions are still apply as far as I read).

• Like 1

After a half a year of delay I don't really care if my phone comes later. I have managed to get used to my dying phone for now.

I was in India for three weeks and could not make photos because my camera on my phone is broken. I can't always have my DSLR with me. That really sucked.

However, humans dying is certainly worse. I hope they are all safe. Being on point now doesn't really matter anymore anyway. Please ensure everyone stays healthy.

Edited by __fastcall
  • Like 5
On 2/15/2020 at 11:01 AM, Zamasu said:

The text is technically wrong though, because it would mean all orders even today (which are technically pre-orders as well by their own definition) should be getting the earphones, even though it's no longer mentioned on the order page.

Exactly my point! Orders from today should be considered pre-orders. If fxtec confirms that, I will order a phone right away. Seeing all the delays, they really should give us a reason to place orders these days, or to not cancel pending orders.

• Like 1
On 2/15/2020 at 11:45 AM, Dany303 said:

I am confident that we will get our smartphones at least one month before 3g and LTE networks are switched off and the 5G standard is outdated. Not everyone has the chance to unpack a freshly produced museum requisite.

i laughed !

But the delay put up a real concern, it was kind of OK to buy a phone with a Snapdragon 835 in July 2019, but with all the delays, this cpu in June 2020 is less and less appealing.

Fxtec really needs to put up something for the ones who will get their phones nearly 1 year after they paid for a phone supposed to be shipped in a few weeks after they paid...

Edited by Akun
  • Thanks 1

Assuming they can't retool the existing hardware, one of two things may happen over the coming months.

They might drop the price on the pro1 - massive middle finger to the early adopters, but it will improve sales

They will announce a new device - but given the track record for releasing, I'm unsure of how successful this would be.

I would probably recommend the first option, but I'm not at the helm

43 minutes ago, elvissteinjr said:

Customs had their great time with it. Unsealed, taken out of the plastic bag and not put back in and full of fingerprints.
However, it's totally fine apart from that. Well, physically. Haven't turned it on yet.

Take a photo, so you can prove who messed with it, if something is wrong 😜

But glad you finally got it.

I did take some, but nothing that would proof anything per say. Almost one complete print visible on one of the photos though!
Device is on by now. Everything seems fine so far! And that's with me being invested and pretty much looking for all kinds of known typical defects.

I don't know what issue people have with opening the clacker either. I had no issue doing it one-handed before even turning that thing on for the first time.
Sure, you need to make sure to do it right, but it's not like "damn, I can't open that darn shitty thing".

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, npatel1050 said:

Assuming they can't retool the existing hardware, one of two things may happen over the coming months.

They might drop the price on the pro1 - massive middle finger to the early adopters, but it will improve sales

They will announce a new device - but given the track record for releasing, I'm unsure of how successful this would be.

They will see how selling of Pro1s are going after general availability.

If demand drops, lowering the price may help... but if they bring the price too low, there will be too low gap between production price and their actual costs (not production but altogether).

So they may decide to sell phones at lower price but also to have higher price but able to sell if someone need it...

This decision may affect the future of the company anyway and only they can see the numbers...

13 minutes ago, elvissteinjr said:

I don't know what issue people have with opening the clacker either. I had no issue doing it one-handed before even turning that thing on for the first time.
Sure, you need to make sure to do it right, but it's not like "damn, I can't open that darn shitty thing".

Let me guess, you have used/tried a Nokia slider like e.g. the E7 or N87 before? If so it is like biking, the body remembers.... 😎

10 minutes ago, VaZso said:

If demand drops, lowering the price may help... but if they bring the price too low, there will be too low gap between production price and their actual costs (not production but altogether).

We actually know the raw production price without paying any licence fees or anything from the customs documents ($300), and we have heard them call these fees "hefty", so let us for a moment assume they at some point have sold enough at current price and have paid all the development costs with interests, I doubt they would be able to ship them even with zero 'profit' for $500, so I don't think there is a huge margin to cut from... So don't hold your breath for it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, elvissteinjr said:

Serial Number #344
QWERTZ
Ship Date: January 21st
Delivery Date: February 18th

Customs had their great time with it. Unsealed, taken out of the plastic bag and not put back in and full of fingerprints.
However, it's totally fine apart from that. Well, physically. Haven't turned it on yet.

Customs have abused it! hope it's not suffered to badly.  I'd make sure everything is in box still ;(

4 hours ago, elvissteinjr said:

Gross, what a disrespectful way to handle other people's property. Would make me want to wipe both the case and the memory. But at least you finally got it, hope it works fine 😎

I just wanted to mention that I don't care about an aged processor. We knew they had no other choice on it and we also know about the problems they encountered. Corona is one of the bigger ones impacting even big companies.

I just want to make sure that they will earn some profit to be able to design a Pro2. And seriously, who cares about some cheap headphones in the package? I'd rather have a bugfree system with high usability than headphones that would get replaced soon after receiving them. Wasting fees and shipping costs for headphones really doesn't make sense.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
51 minutes ago, SchattengestaIt said:

I just wanted to mention that I don't care about an aged processor. We knew they had no other choice on it and we also know about the problems they encountered. Corona is one of the bigger ones impacting even big companies.

I don't care about the aged processor as well. First, it is not slow at all... second, my Moto G6 had weaker processor and it was also working well (except the slow flash).
As long as the processor and its components are supported in kernel, updates are expected without real problems.

I don't know the ratio of closed-source blobs in Pro1's kernel but it may be related to long-term support... so the less closed (not maintainble by 3rd-party)  part, the higher chance to be maintainable by community or even by F(x)tec. So higher closed-source parts causes higher dependency of others (manufacturer) while fewer closed-source parts may result in much longer support.

Even Qualcomm may support it's flagship processors for a longer period than of their lower-class systems.

Edited by VaZso
  • Like 3
8 hours ago, VaZso said:

They will see how selling of Pro1s are going after general availability.

So they may decide to sell phones at lower price but also to have higher price but able to sell if someone need it...

This decision may affect the future of the company anyway and only they can see the numbers...

I would wager any exposure is good exposure so they should really try to sell as many devices as they can

On 2/15/2020 at 5:01 AM, Zamasu said:

Thought they changed that text shortly after you complained the last time, and added that they'll honour those that ordered before they removed it, even though that wasn't the plan before. Not sure though, but if that's the case it's somewhere in this thread. The text is technically wrong though, because it would mean all orders even today (which are technically pre-orders as well by their own definition) should be getting the earphones, even though it's no longer mentioned on the order page. But that's just semantics. And the case substitute still seems to be included with all orders.

I don't think they ever said they would honor it.  I think Eske said maybe they would or something but nothing from an official FX source.  Doesn't matter to me anymore really, just annoyed at all the flip-flopping and mis-information put out by these guys.  Have a new phone with no KB now.  Lesson learned and over $700 wasted on a product that is getting more outdated by the day before delivery and with too many reported problems for how many are actually in the wild.  Pro1 is DOA and there won't be a pro2 in my opinion.  

17 minutes ago, Siani_8 said:

I don't think they ever said they would honor it.  I think Eske said maybe they would or something but nothing from an official FX source.  ...

I was thinking of this, my bad.

Anyway, I also found this which says the text about the headphones was different from what you're claiming was on the site. Seems weird to me that you saw text that's from April (and on archive sites), while others saw a different text. I don't see why they would change it to indicate an end, and then change it back to the April version.

4 minutes ago, Zamasu said:

I was thinking of this, my bad.

Anyway, I also found this which says the text about the headphones was different from what you're claiming was on the site. Seems weird to me that you saw text that's from April (and on archive sites), while others saw a different text. I don't see why they would change it to indicate an end, and then change it back to the April version.

Well even if I didn't see what I remember, the last post in that Headphones thread by Waxberry who is official FX said on June 19th, that they decided to extend the offer for a while.  How long is a while? Nothing official or unofficial after that and my order was July 12th.  So again too much unclear communication throughout the thread and website since this all started.  I mean if you go to order right now, it STILL says orders will be fulfilled in 4-6 weeks.  How can they still be making that promise when people who paid in August might not even see it that fast.  Just be honest with new customers.  Update to say "as of now, with the Corona virus, we don't know blah blah blah"

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Siani_8 said:

I don't think they ever said they would honor it.  I think Eske said maybe they would or something but nothing from an official FX source.  Doesn't matter to me anymore really, just annoyed at all the flip-flopping and mis-information put out by these guys.  Have a new phone with no KB now.  Lesson learned and over $700 wasted on a product that is getting more outdated by the day before delivery and with too many reported problems for how many are actually in the wild.  Pro1 is DOA and there won't be a pro2 in my opinion.  

As you say, the phone is going to be technologically deprecated before back-orders are fulfilled. But $700 wasted?! Why not just cancel your order and get a refund?! ...My experience getting a refund was quite painful but, from what I have read here, that is unusual.

• Thanks 2
5 minutes ago, Siani_8 said:

Well even if I didn't see what I remember

That was kinda your whole argument, that the order page said something that apparently you don't remember 100% completely. I see no reason to believe the order page made any mention of earbuds with your pre-order when you ordered then. So, fully fair. No reason to expect something you didn't order.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, ttodd said:

As you say, the phone is going to be technologically deprecated before back-orders are fulfilled. But $700 wasted?! Why not just cancel your order and get a refund?! ...My experience getting a refund was quite painful but, from what I have read here, that is unusual.

Thought about it and at one point sent an email to cancel but it was taking too long to get back to me so I cancelled my request and am gonna try to get money back through a resale to someone looking maybe or keep it as a messing around phone with rooting.  Money has been out of my account for close to a year, so I already wrote it off.  Just recently picked up OnePlus 7T Pro 5G McLaren from T-Mobile and it's a beast with no problems at all for slightly more than what I paid for Pro1.  *Shrug*. Love keyboards but it is what it is. 

8 minutes ago, Zamasu said:

That was kinda your whole argument, that the order page said something that apparently you don't remember 100% completely. I see no reason to believe the order page made any mention of earbuds with your pre-order when you ordered then. So, fully fair. No reason to expect something you didn't order.

Oh remember 100% but I have no proof so no sense in arguing it.  No proof on the other side of the argument either except a forum post.  Agree to disagree.  

Edit:. And for the record, there's plenty more to complain about that I can prove such as my order saying shipping is included and now people are paying more shipping to get it to themselves. 

Also, you just proved with your link that Waxberry extended it for a while as of June 19th.  Show me where and when they changed their minds again after that. 

Edited by Siani_8