Official firmware

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey, some very good news on twitter, finally looks like some software fixes coming: https://twitter.com/chenliangchen/status/1280900929273958402 I'm hoping that whatsapp thing means the

An update has been delivered to my device!

Posted Images

5 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

I found something that might be related here, someone suggests to turn off Bluetooth before changing the setting in developer options - worth a try. Most likely you should also make sure that it is un-paired if it shows up as paired (though not working), as it might else remember the APTX for the device.

No, that was related to not selecting APT-X HD as codec in use.
My headphone can use both APT-X HD and AAC. But the Pro1 does not have the license for APT-X HD. Yet when pairing, APT-X HD is chosen as the codec during the handshake.  No matter what I try, I cannot force the Pro1 to disable APT-X HD and use the AAC codec instead.
LoS also does not contain the APT-X HD license, but at least LoS selects AAC for HD-audio. AAC is not power friendly, but a clear improvement over standard SBC in terms of audio quality and compression.

4 hours ago, DieBruine said:

No, that was related to not selecting APT-X HD as codec in use.
My headphone can use both APT-X HD and AAC. But the Pro1 does not have the license for APT-X HD. Yet when pairing, APT-X HD is chosen as the codec during the handshake.  No matter what I try, I cannot force the Pro1 to disable APT-X HD and use the AAC codec instead.
LoS also does not contain the APT-X HD license, but at least LoS selects AAC for HD-audio. AAC is not power friendly, but a clear improvement over standard SBC in terms of audio quality and compression.

Please read again. The point is that you apparently need to shut down bluetooth before any changes attempted on the Codec in Developer  Options takes effekt. It could make sense if they only look at the settings when bluetooth is started, and do not monitor any changes we may make later on.

4 hours ago, internationaltraitor said:

i see, looks nice at 480-580.

does anyone mess with the animation scales?? window/transition/animator scales at 1x ? any preferences ?

User experience is little bit snappier if you disable all animations. I have been doing that with many phones including Pro1.

13 hours ago, Slion said:

That would give you insanely small fonts. I just set it to 420 from 360 which was the default.

You can also edit font size from the Accessibility settings.

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Please read again. The point is that you apparently need to shut down bluetooth before any changes attempted on the Codec in Developer  Options takes effekt. It could make sense if they only look at the settings when bluetooth is started, and do not monitor any changes we may make later on.

I tried every possible combination on and off, trust me 🙄. This has no effect on the pairing process.

• Sad 1
17 hours ago, DieBruine said:

I tried every possible combination on and off, trust me 🙄. This has no effect on the pairing process.

Did you look at the Dev options only? I found that the dev options settings did nothing, and that I had to turn off the aptX HD option in the Bluetooth settings (main settings, not dev) for my headset:

Screenshot_20200911-180209.png

• Like 2

Yeah, this is also my own suggestion in the Bluetooth topic, but thanks anyway😅.

For the record, my headset is also capable of HD Audio over AAC, not just aptX HD. But during the pairing process, aptX HD is always selected.
LoS does not contain the aptX HD licenses and therefore does not try to pair using aptX HD. The result is HD audio over AAC. Which produces noticeably higher quality audio than the standard SBC AD2P.

• 3 months later...

Well, if the ProX comes with Android 10, I se no reason why us Pro1 owners shouldn't get an update at the same time, since it's basically the same phone. (2 more gigs of RAM shouldn't make that much of a difference OS wise)

Edited by Rud
  • Like 2
On 1/4/2021 at 6:52 AM, Rud said:

Well, if the ProX comes with Android 10, I se no reason why us Pro1 owners shouldn't get an update at the same time, since it's basically the same phone. (2 more gigs of RAM shouldn't make that much of a difference OS wise)

You would be amazed at all the things that need to align for two revisions of the same model device to get the same updates.  Not saying it won't happen, just warning you that it is not as straightforward as it seems on the surface.

• Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, tdm said:

You would be amazed at all the things that need to align for two revisions of the same model device to get the same updates.  Not saying it won't happen, just warning you that it is not as straightforward as it seems on the surface.

I don't think Pro1-X is a different revision (otherwise they would need to redo certifications anyway).

The improved amount of RAM and Flash storage is simply a drop-in replacement of two components.
Software-wise it is another question, but these hardware can be identified at their appropriate registers and it may or may not already included in the code (most likely it is).
As Pro1-X also comes with two variations, so the same configuration as Pro1 and an improved Flash / RAM model, the software running on Pro1-X should handle both configurations.

So, generally it does not seem to be a huge problem in this relation.
Also, they stated they are going to release Andorid 10 on existing Pro1 phones.

I think the biggest problem may be the existing Andorid 9 installations at current Pro1 phones, so a proper update process should be also made to be able to push it to existing models.
I don't know how straightforward it is, but as they also use a 3rd-party update provider, it may have some difficulties.
I think this is the hardest part but hardware (PCBs) are identical, not a different revision...

Edited by VaZso
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, tdm said:

As long as they include some desktop mode like Samsung DEX when connected to a display and option for black settings and notifications UI, they can take their time as far as I'm concerned.

Those are more or less the only reasons I'm waiting for an update. 😄

(Plus camera/loudspeaker microphone fix and green screen tint between 20% and 80% brightness fix, if they aren't hardware issues)

Edited by Rud

On 1/5/2021 at 4:27 PM, tdm said:

That used to be mainly at the time each carrier had their own customized software (i.e. one for AT&T, one for Verzion, one for T-Mobile etc.), which each having a release on its own schedule. Nowadays this is no longer the trend (although still exists).

1 hour ago, skrilax said:

That used to be mainly at the time each carrier had their own customized software (i.e. one for AT&T, one for Verzion, one for T-Mobile etc.), which each having a release on its own schedule. Nowadays this is no longer the trend (although still exists).

I think @tdm has thought of a different problem.
When a newer revision of a PCB comes out, the software needs to find out which hardware it runs on and it should handle its components accordingly.

Things are simpler when there is a drop-in replacement if there is a way to find out which component is installed. Usually it works to read one/more registers or detect an address to determine which sensor or other component is installed.

If a bigger modification is necessary, for example because of an unavailable / obsolete part (which may happen easily anyway), then things may become more complicated. It may happen some wires on the PCB used differently, connected another way, etc... and it should be determined by software.
There is a common way to show the revision for the software by pulling a wire up or down or keep floating and there are also other techniques...

So during boot, the software needs to find out how to communicate with which components and load itself according to the revision of PCB it runs on.

That can be complicated, but as far as I know, it is not the case with Pro1 yet.

• Like 1