Rear/main camera focus to infinity not work on LineageOS

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

But Kelloggs on the left are more crisp than their cheap knockoffs on the right, no surprise.

Hoping to balance the negativity in this thread, my F(x)tec Pro1 running LineageOS does not seem to have any camera issues regarding focus (see the attached sample I took today). Running LineageOS 18.

For the record, I don't seem to have this problem on LOS either:

Posted Images

Hoping to balance the negativity in this thread, my F(x)tec Pro1 running LineageOS does not seem to have any camera issues regarding focus (see the attached sample I took today). Running LineageOS 18.1 (unofficial; 20210105), using a Google Camera version (though I forgot exactly which one).

F(x)tec Pro1 - GCam Infinity.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, itchy355 said:

Yup, found the same issue, lineage 17 too. It tries to focus, actually hits the sweet spot for a fraction of a second - but then it focuses back a little. Annoying but good to hear it's software related.

If you can manually focus for long distances (e.g. in Open Camera), which should be possible for you, as you seem to get a sharp image preview for a moment, then at least you are not hit by the bigger problem of not getting focus at all. Even though losing autofocus is also annoying, it is a different problem from what the original post is about. But as others described the same thing as you in here already, I guess it is now just a general thread for camera bugs in LineageOS ;)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Chibz said:

Was this problem solved in unofficial LineageOS 18.1?

I'm still not sure what kind of problem this actually is, as my device, just like the ones of a few others, doesn't seem to exhibit this problem at all. No problem auto-focusing to infinity, whether with the Lineage 17.1 default camera app or something like the 'Manual Cam' app I'm normally using (despite the word 'manual', everything's automatic there, too, until I switch it off).

• 4 weeks later...

Hey,

just flashed Lineage 18 and it's as bad as before. I can't make a real clear picture with the phone at all. The edges are all just blurred. I begin to wonder if it's a hardware issue. Auto Focus is barely doing anything useful and manually focusing (With OpenCamera) also never gets me a sharp photo.

Never tried the stock rom as everyone said not to bother with it.

I'm going to shoot the support a message. I've waited a year patiently in hopes of a solution. Maybe it helps to bring up awareness again.

Front camera works fine, it's just the back camera. Maybe the phone fell too hard on something and broke the camera?

I just want to make some pictures.. 😄

Attached a photo, this is basically the best I could get out of the phone today..

IMG_20210404_204355.jpg

Edited by __fastcall
  • Sad 1
27 minutes ago, __fastcall said:

Never tried the stock rom as everyone said not to bother with it.

If it is possible for you, I would try to temporarily install stock OS and test the camera there.
That would give a real answer if it is a hardware failure or not.

It was not clear for me if camera quality is generally good under LineageOS or not and if it isn't, GCam port helps or not...

3 minutes ago, VaZso said:

If it is possible for you, I would try to temporarily install stock OS and test the camera there.
That would give a real answer if it is a hardware failure or not.

It was not clear for me if camera quality is generally good under LineageOS or not and if it isn't, GCam port helps or not...

I really would rather not to as I don't want to lose my configuration/apps and do the whole setup again. Or is it possible to basically copy the whole harddisk and revert later on?

I had better results with these GCam ports, but I usually made photos outside. They seem to be much sharper. I was shocked to find out that close objects seem to be blurred completely..

16 hours ago, __fastcall said:

Attached a photo, this is basically the best I could get out of the phone today..

Surely looks like a defective camera to me. There's no way a phone camera with its huge depth of field could render one corner halfway sharp (bottom right) while blurring the rest of the image if there wasn't something bent out of shape in it.

21 hours ago, __fastcall said:

Looking at your picture, I notice that the lower right corner is actually sharp: that wall socket seems to be quite nicely in focus. The rest of the picture obviously isn't -- even though there are many objects at roughly the same distance from the lens than the wall socket.

Also the upper half of the shelf exhibits some very strange ("wavy") perspective distortion.

This looks like an optical problem. Like a misalignment between lens and sensor or so. Sadly, I do not think this can be corrected for in software. @Jacob_S posted similarly distorted pictures earlier in this thread. Maybe they have found out more about the problem by now ...

Edit: Just realised @Rob. S. have come to the same conclusion about your picture. I can only agree with them.

Edited by claude0001
  • Like 1