Display units with large tap-insensitive margin

13 hours ago, theidiotyouyellat said:

Do you still have the apk? I recently replaced my display and can no long tap buutons near the edge of the screen. I joined the forum after seeing this comment and not hearing back from support for 2 weeks.

Yes, please send me a PM 🙂

• Like 1
  • Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I found an easy way to fix this from any ROM, without having to wipe userdata. tl;dr: Edit: Make backups. It shouldn't be necessary, but you never know! Flash the 2020-08-25 stock RO

Thanks for the work, people. Life got in the way here a bit. I did a bit of digging based on the rar shared in this thread by Kaali: The APK does seem to contain code to write config data to the

To all who still struggle with this issue. People in the fxtec unofficial discord have discovered that flashing ONLY the vendor.img from the stock restore thread will fix the aliex screen issues and

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

a week ago I replaced my screen with one of unknown origin. Everything seemed to work just fine until I realized that it can't detect taps on the edges anymore. 

activating show pointer location indicates that I can slide all way out, just not tap.

saw something about this on the forum, but can't find it now, is it possible to solve?

• Like 2

If I understand it correctly, this happens because some firmware or parameters of the touchscreen has to be updated for the margins to be correct. There's a thread about it somewhere on the forum...

It can be fixed by either:
- reflashing stock firmware (which does the magic on first boot)
- some illusive app which only works as root (you'd have to ask fxtec or someone else who has it to get that)

• Thanks 3

I'm about to replace my screen as well and I have asked for the APK, too.

I just need to make sure before I start that rooting the phone (running on unrooted LineageOS 17.1) doesn't break anything for me...

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Rob. S. said:

I'm about to replace my screen as well and I have asked for the APK, too.

I remember you got your device only a month ago or so. What's wrong with your screen? Just asking ...

About that APK for installing the required firmware: Is it (legally?) impossible to put that up somewhere for public download? It will certainly be of interest to many sooner or later. People replacing their screens will typically want to avoid reflashing their phones to stock and back just to get the replacement screen working.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, claude0001 said:

I remember you got your device only a month ago or so. What's wrong with your screen? Just asking ...

A black spot of 3mm diameter, after dropping the phone, hitting a wooden floor hard with the display facing downwards. Doesn't make the phone unusable, but at some point I'll want to replace the screen. Already bought two replacement screens, one for spares... 

8 minutes ago, claude0001 said:

About that APK for installing the required firmware: Is it (legally?) impossible to put that up somewhere for public download?

Good question.

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
3 minutes ago, Rob. S. said:

A black spot of 3mm diameter, after dropping the phone, hitting a wooden floor hard with the display facing downwards. Doesn't make the phone unusable, but at some point I'll want to replace the screen. Already bought two, one for spares...

Ouch. I feel your pain.

Maybe I should invest in a spare too as long as they are easily available. Is the Elephone U spare part on AliExpress the known-good screen for the Pro1?

1 hour ago, claude0001 said:

Ouch. I feel your pain.

I'm usually not one to abuse my gear, but the last twelve months or so were particularly unlucky ones with regard to screens! Last year I bought a new TV (thankfully a cheap one, less than half of the regular Pro1 price...) and I destroyed the panel on the day it had been delivered, in the act of mounting the set on the wall... At least I learned tow things that day! One, modern TV panels are extremely delicate, and two, contrary to phones, modern TVs can only be disposed of once the panel is damaged. In relation to the panel there's nothing else of value in them...

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Maybe we should pin that thread, edit the title to something like: "Replacement screen digitiser calibration" and prefix the first post with a summary?

Edited by Slion
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, Slion said:

Maybe we should pin that thread, edit the title to something like: "Replacement screen digitiser calibration" and prefix the first post with a summary?

Perhaps a better way would be to make one common 'Index-thread' on important hints in the HowTo section, with links to the relevant threads/posts. And have that pinned, and UNpin the currently pinned ones, (like mine on ROMs) and have links to those instead.

It would be important to find a good title so people actually open it!

Perhaps something like Facts hub, Base for commmon questions, hints, issues and solutions or a similar broad (preferably shorter:classic_blush:) title...

But It would require someone to actively curate what should go there and what not. And perhaps it should be accompanied by a discussion-thread, where I (or any of the staff) moved replies, to keep the entry-point thread clean....

Anyone interested in doing this? It will require some work (or a very good memory), to dig up the gems, in various threads, and also to arrange stuff in a good accessible way, and it should be actively curated adding new stuff and let stuff be moved down (or out) as it looses it's relevance. And to make sure that it contains interesting words so people doing a search will see it.
(Remember that current search does not work well for anything less 4 chars Thou you CAN do a search for e.g. "4G**" It does not work as you might hope, as a whitespace does not match, so you will find 2.4GHz rather than the 4G stuff you most likely was looking for...)

Maybe it should not be limited to one post, but one master-post with headers linking to relevant info for a topic. e.g. Keyboard layouts. There are several interesting threads on that topic, but would quickly pollute the main post, if they all were included directly.
It could be different people that curated different topics matching their field of interest.

• Like 2
On 3/27/2021 at 3:14 PM, EskeRahn said:

Perhaps a better way would be to make one common 'Index-thread' on important hints in the HowTo section, with links to the relevant threads/posts. And have that pinned, and UNpin the currently pinned ones, (like mine on ROMs) and have links to those instead.

It would be important to find a good title so people actually open it!

Perhaps something like Facts hub, Base for commmon questions, hints, issues and solutions or a similar broad (preferably shorter:classic_blush:) title...

But It would require someone to actively curate what should go there and what not. And perhaps it should be accompanied by a discussion-thread, where I (or any of the staff) moved replies, to keep the entry-point thread clean....

Anyone interested in doing this? It will require some work (or a very good memory), to dig up the gems, in various threads, and also to arrange stuff in a good accessible way, and it should be actively curated adding new stuff and let stuff be moved down (or out) as it looses it's relevance. And to make sure that it contains interesting words so people doing a search will see it.
(Remember that current search does not work well for anything less 4 chars Thou you CAN do a search for e.g. "4G**" It does not work as you might hope, as a whitespace does not match, so you will find 2.4GHz rather than the 4G stuff you most likely was looking for...)

Maybe it should not be limited to one post, but one master-post with headers linking to relevant info for a topic. e.g. Keyboard layouts. There are several interesting threads on that topic, but would quickly pollute the main post, if they all were included directly.
It could be different people that curated different topics matching their field of interest.

Maybe just link to a github wiki so everyone can contribute but link to the relevant pages from the index one and lock it.

• Like 1
On 3/26/2021 at 10:00 PM, claude0001 said:

About that APK for installing the required firmware: Is it (legally?) impossible to put that up somewhere for public download? It will certainly be of interest to many sooner or later. People replacing their screens will typically want to avoid reflashing their phones to stock and back just to get the replacement screen working.

Would it perhaps make sense for @tdm to include that in LineageOS and AICP, too? If it doesn't break something with older displays, that is...

On 1/21/2021 at 3:16 AM, EvilDragon said:

Yes, please send me a PM 🙂

I did so, but @EvilDragon currently doesn't seem to be reachable through forum messaging (or maybe I'm too impatient)...

Is there perhaps someone else with the file(s) (and the description)? I dropped the phone again today and now the display has a slightly splintered corner... I'll definitely need to get some protection for the phone, going forward... And I wouldn't want to replace the screen before making sure I can still use all of my apps...