Display units with large tap-insensitive margin

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I found an easy way to fix this from any ROM, without having to wipe userdata. tl;dr: Edit: Make backups. It shouldn't be necessary, but you never know! Flash the 2020-08-25 stock RO

Thanks for the work, people. Life got in the way here a bit. I did a bit of digging based on the rar shared in this thread by Kaali: The APK does seem to contain code to write config data to the

To all who still struggle with this issue. People in the fxtec unofficial discord have discovered that flashing ONLY the vendor.img from the stock restore thread will fix the aliex screen issues and

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, benoitjeffrey said:

You need root permission to do this there's no alternative to this.

The driver is deep enough in the phone that even a full stock reflash don't erase it. 

Thought that my only option was to go back to stock android from LOS 18.1. So that even don't work anymore?

Just now, Breeze said:

Thought that my only option was to go back to stock android from LOS 18.1. So that even don't work anymore?

If you are already on LOS it would be way much easier to only root your device(install magisk by sideload the zip file) and follow the instructions. 

You wouldn't loose anything by doing so. 

• Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, benoitjeffrey said:

If you are already on LOS it would be way much easier to only root your device(install magisk by sideload the zip file) and follow the instructions. 

You wouldn't loose anything by doing so. 

But can i go back to unrooted state again after that?

1 hour ago, benoitjeffrey said:

Sure I didn't ever done it but I know the uninstall option exist

On the other hand you could just leave it that way too

I have some bank apps an ID apps which doesn´t work rooted.

Someone else have some ideas?

Fine so you still got two option, there is magisk hide with props that i use since i have my pro1 for GPay to work.

Otherwise there's the uninstall guide here after you're done with the driver update.

In both option you won't loose any data.

The third option that isn't really easier and isn't guaranteed to work is to flash back to stock so you'll loose everything and isn't sure if it will work or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
44 minutes ago, benoitjeffrey said:

Fine so you still got two option, there is magisk hide with props that i use since i have my pro1 for GPay to work.

Otherwise there's the uninstall guide here after you're done with the driver update.

The third option that isn't really easier and isn't guaranteed to work is to flash back to stock so you'll loose everything and isn't sure if it will work or not.

Thanks. Gonna look into it after i get back from vacation in couple of days.

On 7/26/2021 at 2:49 PM, benoitjeffrey said:

You need root permission to do this there's no alternative to this.

The driver is deep enough in the phone that even a full stock reflash don't erase it. 

From what I've read here, the driver does get updated with a stock reflash plus going through all OTA stock updates, as one of them includes the driver update. It would seem that Fxtec needed to apply the changes themselves because from some point on the displays they received (whether in production or for their repair units) were of the variation that needed them...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
On 7/26/2021 at 6:04 PM, Breeze said:

I have some bank apps an ID apps which doesn´t work rooted.

Things are getting more and more complicated in that regard.

A number of apps don't work on a rooted device, and I fear they're getting more. Now some of them will work with MagiskHide, but some won't. On the other hand, some apps don't even work on an unrooted, alternative Android like LineageOS. They might explicitly check for a non-stock ROM, or they might check for an unlocked bootloader. Depending on how they do it, you might be out of luck whether you're rooted or not.

With one important app (VPN identity token) which didn't run on the unrooted LOS that I had been using I was lucky to get it to work at all, and the only way was with root + Magisk + XPosedFramework + an XPosed module specifically made by someone for that app...

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Now I have a new situation – I've got a repaired phone with a new replacement screen, only the driver flashing process to set the margins to a usable width doesn't work anymore. Tapping the app's 'update' button, the button stays orange for two or three seconds – but instead of starting the flashing process, the phone just cold-boots, with the margins staying as they were.

(Yes, I double-checked everything, tried different PCs and stuff, but the connection isn't the problem this time, it's the part of the process that happens on the phone itself...)

The big question now is, do I go all the way through the re-flash stock, install all updates, re-install LineageOS with Gapps/Magisk/Xposed etc. procedure to see if that works, while I otherwise have a well configured device?

Any ideas out there, perhaps? 

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Sad 1
On 8/5/2021 at 10:39 PM, Rob. S. said:

Now I have a new situation – I've got a repaired phone with a new replacement screen, only the driver flashing process to set the margins to a usable width doesn't work anymore. Tapping the app's 'update' button, the button stays orange for two or three seconds – but instead of starting the flashing process, the phone just cold-boots, with the margins staying as they were.

(Yes, I double-checked everything, tried different PCs and stuff, but the connection isn't the problem this time, it's the part of the process that happens on the phone itself...)

The big question now is, do I go all the way through the re-flash stock, install all updates, re-install LineageOS with Gapps/Magisk/Xposed etc. procedure to see if that works, while I otherwise have a well configured device?

Any ideas out there, perhaps? 

Have you granted root permision to flashing tool? Was there any os updates since last flash?

9 hours ago, Laska said:

Have you granted root permision to flashing tool? Was there any os updates since last flash?

It never asked for root permissions, as far as I can remember, so I couldn't grant any?

About the updates, there were a few weekly security/bugfix updates for LOS 18.1, but nothing big...

For what it's worth, I noticed in the adb root shell that the filesystem was mounted read-only, but remounting it as read/write – while letting me delete those two files I wanted to delete – didn't help with the display IC flash procedure, either.

While I attempted the update once more today I noticed something else: a few seconds after starting, the flash tool showed a notice for one or to seconds complaining it "couldn't allocate the resource". I don't remember it doing that before, except when I tried the firmware update a second time after it already had failed.

All of that said, I'll get back to @EvilDragon again tomorrow for help – because somehow I managed to damage the display AGAIN, even if it's just a small black half circle near the edge (but also a thin black line from there across the screen). Maybe he can flash the new screen's IC, perhaps on another device if need be...

15 minutes ago, Rob. S. said:

It never asked for root permissions, as far as I can remember, so I couldn't grant any?

About the updates, there were a few weekly security/bugfix updates for LOS 18.1, but nothing big...

For what it's worth, I noticed in the adb root shell that the filesystem was mounted read-only, but remounting it as read/write – while letting me delete those two files I wanted to delete – didn't help with the display IC flash procedure, either.

While I attempted the update once more today I noticed something else: a few seconds after starting, the flash tool showed a notice for one or to seconds complaining it "couldn't allocate the resource". I don't remember it doing that before, except when I tried the firmware update a second time after it already had failed.

All of that said, I'll get back to @EvilDragon again tomorrow for help – because somehow I managed to damage the display AGAIN, even if it's just a small black half circle near the edge (but also a thin black line from there across the screen). Maybe he can flash the new screen's IC, perhaps on another device if need be...

I seem to recall, but don't remember from where, that the update doesn't work with Android 11. 

• Thanks 2
22 hours ago, Laska said:

Was there any os updates since last flash?

11 hours ago, Hook said:

I seem to recall, but don't remember from where, that the update doesn't work with Android 11. 

Thinking about it, the first time I had the screen replaced I could indeed still have been on LOS 16. That would explain it. (I would hate having to admit being too stupid to perform that relatively simple procedure 😉)

• Thanks 1
  • 5 months later...

Fine so you still got two option, there is Magisk hide with props that I use since I have my pro1 for Gpay to work.

Otherwise there's the uninstall guide here after you're done with the driver update.

• 3 weeks later...

To all who still struggle with this issue.
People in the fxtec unofficial discord have discovered that flashing ONLY the vendor.img from the stock restore thread will fix the aliex screen issues and won't bork your LOS18.1 installation. For stock and earlier versions of LOS the apk still does the fix. We only have one person done it for now so not 100% guarantee though.
Edit: According to feedback from other users this method didn't work.

Stock restore thread

Edited by Kaali
New info
  • Thanks 7
On 1/30/2022 at 9:23 PM, Kaali said:

To all who still struggle with this issue.
People in the fxtec unofficial discord have discovered that flashing ONLY the vendor.img from the stock restore thread will fix the aliex screen issues and won't bork your LOS18.1 installation. For stock and earlier versions of LOS the apk still does the fix. We only have one person done it for now so not 100% guarantee though.

Well, I've tried it now, flashed the vendor.img to both slots, but it doesn't work. After flashimg the phone just allways reboots to fastboot mode. So, I did the full stock restore and it's now working again with the display touchscreen driver updated (or at least the touchscreen doesn't have the weird margin as before). So now I'm going back to Lineage. I was ready to do the full reflash anyway, so it's not a big deal the vendor.img reflash didn't work for me, but I wanted to give it a try at least.

• Thanks 2
59 minutes ago, Kaali said:

Thanks for testing and reporting. Seems like we have got conflicting information at some point then.

I have read that Discord channel discussion before the flash and it seems that the person who tried it (sorgo) did it few months ago, so it could actually work on that slightly older Lineage version, or maybe he did some additional or different steps back then, I don't know. I'm back on Lineage, restored backup (Swift Backup with root FTW! 😉 ) and nearly everything is as before with the touchscreen working as it should, finally.

• Thanks 3
  • 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Noob said:

So, just to confirm, is there no way to fix the issue with LineageOS 18.1, even with Magisk installed for root?  

If you mean if there is a well known and tested method the answer seems to be no. So you would have to dig into what @Jamar is referring to. BUT as you are rooted, perhaps simpler install software that can take a complete backup, And after backup do the stock flashing, flash back to Lineage and then restore,

If you do find a clean way to do it on Lineage, then please let us know.

• Like 1

Å A Long Time Ago, in a Galaxy Far, Far Away...

It is a period of civil war. Rebels seem to have issues with their phones, the display have a tendency to crack , flashing from a hidden base haven't won their fvictory
against the evil unresponsive edges.

So, as already stated above also I can confirm that the app for flashing the display doesn't work anymore from the newer LOS versions.

Other issue I encountered is that my phone won't stay on fastboot mode, as soon as I send the first fastboot command (regardless if it's a "fastboot devices" or any other command the phone exits fastboot, shows the fxtec logo together with a small text in the upper left corner telling me that the any key will preform a reboot.  Just pushing one of the volume buttona it reboots back to LOS. 

Any thoughts on this?