PRO1, LineageOS 17.1 Official Builds: Discussion

4 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Could it be because it is the same security build? Will be interesting to hear if OTA also works when it get the next security bump.

Just for the record, my first OTA update did update the security build and went smoothly, too, so if they would be the cause, they at least don't crash all the time.

• Like 1
  • Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ah that sound the problem several have encountered with the earpiece. It seems to be a mechanical issue, try to check if the display part is tight together at the earpiece end. Some have reported that

I falshed mine, with no issues. Starting from LOS16.0, MindTheGapps and addonsu. Downloaded LOS17.1 https://download.lineageos.org/pro1 OpenGApps nano, ARM64, Android10.0 https://opengapps.o

Updated yesterday via sideload with nano opengapps and Magisk. No problems so far, even banking apps with nfc payments are working! 😀

Posted Images

Is there perhaps a chance to get ExFAT support in LineageOS 17.1+? As of now, it seems it isn't there, as i can't unload my camera that formats its SD cards as ExFAT, and my camera doesn't accept cards formatted as FAT32, either, so I'm out of luck (today, the camera maker's app somehow didn't function properly, either, so I had to go through my laptop...).

As @tdm seems to have successfully enabled ExFAT in AICP, it looks like it would theoretically be possible?

I might choose to switch to AICP at some point, but as of now I'm extremely happy that I have an excellent phone that does nearly all I want it to do with LineageOS 17.1, and, as is my tendency, I'm rather reluctant to change a working system. 😉 

Edited by Rob. S.
3 hours ago, Rob. S. said:

Is there perhaps a chance to get ExFAT support in LineageOS 17.1+? As of now, it seems it isn't there, as i can't unload my camera that formats its SD cards as ExFAT, and my camera doesn't accept cards formatted as FAT32, either, so I'm out of luck (today, the camera maker's app somehow didn't function properly, either, so I had to go through my laptop...).

As @tdm seems to have successfully enabled ExFAT in AICP, it looks like it would theoretically be possible?

I might choose to switch to AICP at some point, but as of now I'm extremely happy that I have an excellent phone that does nearly all I want it to do with LineageOS 17.1, and, as is my tendency, I'm rather reluctant to change a working system. 😉 

Sorry, the Lineage admins don't allow exFat unless the device shipped with it.

• Thanks 2
2 hours ago, _DW_ said:

I presume you could add it your self though?

Not to official Lineage, I think is the point.  He has added it to AICP.

5 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

That makes sense, as the user then through the purchase of the device already paid license fee for exFat.

Interesting. Seems we have to wait for a future in which Android/AOSP comes with a 5.7+ kernel to be able to see wider adoption of ExFAT?

Paragon's payware app to access ExFAT drives seems to have its problems, and while I never had issues before with any Paragon software I used, after my abominable experience with their commercial Linux filesystem drivers for Windows which just stopped seeing any partitions and their support wasn't really helpful, either, I'm rather hesitant to give them any more money...

But it looks like I might want to make the switch to AICP perhaps a bit sooner rather than later, and @mbecroft's success in getting root and Magisk and SafetyNet to work would be another incentive. That way, I might even be able to make that stupid 'Entrust' Security Token app for my employer's VPN work...

Edited by Rob. S.
AOSP -> AICP
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Rob. S. said:

That way, I might even be able to make that stupid 'Entrust' Security Token app for my employer's VPN work...

I've decided to  my old KeyOne as a dedicated security token device only ever need it at my desk 😄

• Haha 1

I'm struggling a bit getting my SD card to work the way I wish.

As I expect to change from LineageOS to AICP in the foreseeable future, I decided to not mount the card as internal memory (which I usually did with my earlier phones).

At first, it seemed like the SD card would work after being formatted to ext4 on my laptop. But at some point it stopped being writeable for apps even after explicitly giving them write access. Apps didn't report not being allowed to write, they reported being unable to. Some tried forever until I killed them. 

I thought I might have done something wrong with permissions while I had temporarily removed the card to put music from my laptop on it, so I reformatted it with ext4 – and got the same write problems right from the start. 

Right now, the card is formatted as NTFS and for now everything seems to work.

But one other thing is bugging me – if I connect the phone to a PC, when copying files to the phone the time stamps are not preserved and set to the current time and date instead. Also, touching the copied files with the original time and date fails; the operation is reported as not possible.

Is this a general limitation of the way some phones connect to the PC via USB, or is there something amiss?

Good thing is that as long as I can use WiFi transfer (right now, I'm connected to my local server through smb with the FX file explorer) that's ok too; I think I never had a phone that had as fast a WiFi connection as the Pro¹...

1 hour ago, Rob. S. said:

At first, it seemed like the SD card would work after being formatted to ext4 on my laptop. But at some point it stopped being writeable for apps even after explicitly giving them write access. Apps didn't report not being allowed to write, they reported being unable to. Some tried forever until I killed them.

I too have an ext4 partition on my SD card. I do a lot of work from a chrooted (Debian) Linux OS that runs in parallel to Lineage (see here), syncing my data with my other Linux workstations. I therefore much prefer a Linux filesystem on the SD card.

Access of the ext4 partition from the Linux Chroot was never a problem. But like you, I ran into cryptic write access failures from Android apps, even when setting access permissions of the SD filesystem to "777". After some frustrating attempts to understand Android's safety mechanisms in a way that would allow me to properly grant access to the Apps, I gave up. 

I now have the following startup script in /data/local/userinit.d :

#!/system/bin/sh
#
# Disable SELinux, it prevents write access to our EXT4-formatted SD-Card
# partition.
#
/vendor/bin/setenforce 0
#
# Re-mount data partition of external SD-card read-writable by all apps
#
mount -o remount,mask=0 /mnt/runtime/write/24a37a95-5429-4d2f-b98d-27fccea25e17

With that, write access to my SD-card's ext4 partition works from every App I have tried.

Of course you may want to think twice before setting SELinux to "permissive" at every boot. I think I can afford this as I very carefully select the Apps I install on the phone. But clearly, Android security is there for a reason ...

• Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, claude0001 said:

With that, write access to my SD-card's ext4 partition works from every App I have tried.

Sounds good, with the caveats you mentioned, of course – but I guess it's not an option on a non-rooted device 😉

Will be interesting to see how AICP behaves in that regard. 

28 minutes ago, Rob. S. said:

Sounds good, with the caveats you mentioned, of course – but I guess it's not an option on a non-rooted device 😉

You are right, of course. The solution above implies root access to your LineageOS. Also, since LineageOS 14.1, the scripts in /data/local/userinit.d/ are not executed automatically by the OS anymore: you have to install a 3rd-party App enabling that feature, e.g. runuserinit [F-Droid]

I cannot imagine using an un-rooted device (I actually refuse to do so), and tend to wrongly assume anyone using an alternative ROM thinks the same. Sorry for that.

Edited by claude0001

No problem. I used to think similarly when I had my first rooted phone, but then I got a BlackBerry PRIV and that was that – currently, I just want a phone that works, and one of the traits of LineageOS (an unrooted installation of which is what my second-hand Pro1 came with) is that it works better than stock with our device😉 

Looks like I finally could get back to being rooted when I switch to AICP at some point, though.

19 hours ago, Rob. S. said:

Right now, the card is formatted as NTFS and for now everything seems to work.

Not for long, by the way – the card stopped being accessible in the midst of some large amounts of copying with the whole phone slowed down to a crawl, which made me go back to FAT32, and finally I have access to my music library with it...

• Sad 1

I am noticing an issue with fingerprints:

If I remember correctly, there's the one thing that the system stops accepting fingerprints for some time after too many unrecognized attempts, which can easily and unwillingly happen with our device because of the scanner's position. 

Whenever this happens, my banking app reports changes in my fingerprint configuration and stops allowing me to authenticate via fingerprint, until I authenticate via PIN and re-enable fingerprints in the app's settings.

This doesn't bother me too buch, though, as it doesn't happen too often anymore after I've registered most of the fingers likely to touch the scanner accidentally...

The Bitwarden password manager app, though, shows the same behaviour several times a day, even when I don't think I even touched the phone. When it requests authentication, most of the time it says "biometric unlock disabled pending verification of master password" (the message in German language is a bit more meaningful, it says "biometric changes detected"), and I have to re-enable fingerprints in the settings before I can use them again. As this never works for long, I've stopped bothering for now. I'd really like to be able to use them there...

Is there perhaps something that could be done inside LineageOS that could help?

• Sad 1
7 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

(lineage-17.1-20210308-nightly-pro1-signed.zip on March 5 security patch installed smoothly using adb sideload)

Same here from the settings menu.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Rob. S. said:

If I remember correctly, there's the one thing that the system stops accepting fingerprints for some time after too many unrecognized attempts, which can easily and unwillingly happen with our device because of the scanner's position. 

Whenever this happens, my banking app reports changes in my fingerprint configuration and stops allowing me to authenticate via fingerprint, until I authenticate via PIN and re-enable fingerprints in the app's settings.

Yes a few of us are having this issue.

On 3/8/2021 at 5:45 PM, Rob. S. said:

This doesn't bother me too buch, though, as it doesn't happen too often anymore after I've registered most of the fingers likely to touch the scanner accidentally...

The Bitwarden password manager app, though, shows the same behaviour several times a day, even when I don't think I even touched the phone. When it requests authentication, most of the time it says "biometric unlock disabled pending verification of master password" (the message in German language is a bit more meaningful, it says "biometric changes detected"), and I have to re-enable fingerprints in the settings before I can use them again. As this never works for long, I've stopped bothering for now. I'd really like to be able to use them there...

Is there perhaps something that could be done inside LineageOS that could help?

You can try to Disable Fingerprint unlock: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.davidshewitt.admincontrol

• Like 1
On 3/3/2021 at 10:41 PM, Rob. S. said:

Afaik you can get exFat support, if you are rooted with magisk, by installing a magisk module for it.

• Thanks 1
19 hours ago, Kaali said:

Afaik you can get exFat support, if you are rooted with magisk, by installing a magisk module for it.

That would be great! I guess I'm going to install magisk sooner or later anyway.

Is it really only me who finds it annoying, or more likely, is it only that I can't find solution online, but is there really no quick key on the keyboard for volume settings when keyboard is open?

I am using Fingwerty if it matters.

• Like 1
  • EskeRahn changed the title to PRO1, LineageOS 17.1 Official Builds: Discussion