Pro¹ X – state of production and delivery

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

Thing is the pro1x was also advertised with 12+5, it still is on the campaign page. Was only changed later and announced through updates. 

Thing is, though, if I remember correctly, the secondary camera in the Pro1 only ever worked (if at all) to support the primary one. There was no way to actually switch to the secondary camera in any app. I never really knew what it was good for. Overall, the Pro1X' camera hardware definitely was (is) the better one, even if maybe just slightly.

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Like 1
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Production does indeed seem to be starting...  

Please stop. You made your points, there are people here who invested in this project knowing that, you are doing a disservice to the intent of the project and to those that have supported this f

Since I ordered my first Fxtec phone, a Pro1, in Sept 2019 (which also seems to become the one to arrive last...) I've read everything Fxtec communicated (plus every comment in this forum), including

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Rob. S. said:

Thing is, though, if I remember correctly, the secondary camera in the Pro1 only ever worked (if at all) to support the primary one. There was no way to actually switch to the secondary camera in any app. I never really knew what it was good for. Overall, the Pro1X' camera hardware definitely was (is) the better one, even if maybe just slightly.

Secondary camera on Pro1 is a depth sensor. You cannot take photos with it since it is intented only to collect data for processing photos. However, depth sensors in smartphones have never been that useful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, FlyingAntero said:

Secondary camera on Pro1 is a depth sensor. You cannot take photos with it since it is intented only to collect data for processing photos. However, depth sensors in smartphones have never been that useful.

Aaah, that explains it. Thanks!

Long road, but just received mine yesterday! Battery is not charging but will work on the fix when I get home from work. Glad to see it come through!

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
August Shipping Update

silxmuynatv9s1j3ehmo.png

Dear Pro1-X Backers,

After a long, arduous, and rewarding journey, we have reached a significant milestone and are now ready to begin shipping the remaining devices to our valued backers. Your support and patience have been invaluable to us throughout this process, and we couldn’t be more grateful. We are thrilled to move forward and ensure that each of you receives your devices soon. Here is the latest update on the current shipping status:

•Wave 1: A total of 170 tracking codes have been updated on Indiegogo.
•Wave 2: A total of 57 tracking codes have been updated on Indiegogo.
•Wave 3: A total of 213 tracking codes have been updated on Indiegogo.

We are currently sending around 35 units left from all 3 Waves and a new Wave 4 is being created for users that filled the forms later. 

Wave 4 is expected to consist of around 300 users 

We sincerely apologise for the delay in fulfilling your order. We understand the frustration and inconvenience this has caused and truly appreciate your patience and support throughout this period.

Thank you for being a part of our journey.

Warm regards,
The Fxtec Team
  • Thanks 2

So if I ordered a ProX directly from them rather than from IGG what do I need to do to get it? I guess I'll just send them an e-mail.

My Pro1X actually did indeed, to my great surprise, arrive on Monday 22 July - to Britain, and I haven't (so far) been asked to pay any import duties or anything.  

Mine too had the issue that it would not charge nor turn on, but to be fair on F(x)Tec, they had warned that this might be the case, so I did the "rubber band overnight" trick, and that did  indeed work.  Interestingly, when I got it the seals had been opened.  

However.....!!!!  I've actually realised - just a bit ironically! - that I don't think I actually like it very much!!!   

Why?  Used as I am to Blackberries, and now to my Unihertz Titan Slim (ironically purchased in emergency while waiting for the Pro1X, because my old Key 2 began failing), I find the Pro1X form factor a bit of a pain to use.  One can't normally, i.e. when not e.g. typing an e-mail or a text etc., have the phone 'open' with the keyboard slid out and the phone in landscape mode....  so effectively you're using a slab phone with no keyboard shortcuts or similar.  

But then, when using the keyboard with the phone open, I find it very difficult to type when holding the phone.  I'm used to using my two thumbs to type on the BB-style physical keyboard, but it's pretty difficult to do that on the Pro1X, because you just have to reach too far!  It's a physical strain for my thumbs to have to travel that far...  I suspect that in practice the  keyboard is actually just too big for me!  

The fingerprint reader isn't brilliant either - not a patch on the excellent one on the Titan.  

In short, I actually greatly prefer the Unihertz Titan Slim for my needs... which is a pretty unexpected, and ironic, outcome...

I guess that, having waited two and a half years, then getting something that I find I don't actually like that much is, well, an interesting lesson in life, and perhaps somehow symbolic...!!

Anyway, I'll be offering mine for sale, presumably via the usual auction site...  though I should say that if anybody would be interested in having mine, feel free to contact me via a private message (I'm in Britain and the phone is QWERTY, 256GB / 8GB spec, and blue).  

An interesting, and educational, experience.....!!!

Edited by 749121
10 hours ago, 749121 said:

But then, when using the keyboard with the phone open, I find it very difficult to type when holding the phone.  I'm used to using my two thumbs to type on the BB-style physical keyboard, but it's pretty difficult to do that on the Pro1X, because you just have to reach too far!

That's unexpected. I know someone who has small hands and I borrowed my phone quite some months ago to try typing and she types just fine. She can't overlap the fingers but she can reach the whole keyboard. Can it be that you can have a more pleasant typing experience just by holding it differently?

When I hold it, I place my index fingers on the exposed hinge, the phone rests between my index and middle fingers' bone in the palm of my hand. IIRC, that's also how she held it. How are you holding it?

• Like 2

That's a good question, brunoais!  I shall hold it again for a while and see what I'm possibly doing wrong.

Perhaps I have strange little small hands, like a Tyrannosaurus Rex, or Donald Trump...

😉

Edited by 749121
  • Haha 3

I had similar issues in the beginning. I tried to hold Pro1 tightly "inside my palms" like I used to do with smaller Droid4. However, it does not work with Pro1 that well. Then I "dropped" the phone lower so that I was holding it more with fingers instead of inside palms. It is hard to describe but after changing the grip it is more easier to type with thumbs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Today I got an email notification from my US based mail forwarder. "You have a new package". I was baffled as I didn't remember having ordered anything recently...

To my surprise, when I checked the package photos, there it was. "Sender: FX Technology"...

So here I am, another customer who finally has had their phone shipped.

Contribution #21XX

• Like 5
Posted (edited)

Just came in by email:

August/September Shipping Update

silxmuynatv9s1j3ehmo.png

Dear Pro1-X Backers, 

We're happy to share another shipping update with you all. Here's the latest status of each wave:

• Wave 1: A total of 182 tracking codes have been updated on Indiegogo.
  • Wave 2: A total of 67 tracking codes have been updated on Indiegogo.
  • Wave 3: A total of 226 tracking codes have been updated on Indiegogo.
  • Wave 4: A total of 101 tracking codes have been updated on Indiegogo and around 200 are left to complete the Wave. 

Accessories:

We also like to mention that we have started shipping the Accessories Bundles. However, we are no longer able to include the spare batteries in these shipments as they have been in storage for a while and may not perform optimally. Instead, we’ll be replacing these with Fxtec earphones with adjustable eartips.

Alternative OS's:

We'd also like to remind you that since these devices were manufactured at a time when alternative OS's weren't ready, your Pro1-X will come with stock Android 11. As of now, there are several OS's that support Pro1-X and have detailed instructions for you to flash:

Please note, we recommend to back up all partitions of your device before flashing other OS's. Clicks here for more details. 

Tips:

As backers continue to receive their devices, we recommend reading through our previous update here. in case your phone is unable to boot up upon delivery, There is a simple workaround to fix this and requires a rubberband and some of your patience :).

For more information about your Pro1-X, check out our Fxtec commnuity forum, and if you’d like to connect with other backers and Pro1-X holders, join the unofficial Discord channel here.

Thank you for being a part of our journey.

Warm regards,

The Fxtec Team

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
10 minutes ago, Rob. S. said:

Just came in by email:

Accessories:

We also like to mention that we have started shipping the Accessories Bundles. However, we are no longer able to include the spare batteries in these shipments as they have been in storage for a while and may not perform optimally. Instead, we’ll be replacing these with Fxtec earphones with adjustable eartips.

I saw the email.  Very disappointing regarding batteries.  If the bundle a person paid for is batteries, then replacing them with earphones doesn't really help.  I doubt the storage story as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, EvilDNA127 said:

At this point I'll consider myself lucky to actually get mine.

Until you have it in youre hands allot can happen 
However i consider myself lucky to get a tracking number
I plan to elevate it to a masterpiece on my wall once it arrives. I wil not use it as a smartphone, but as a poignant reminder that no matter how many blunders I make, they'll never quite measure up to the Pro1-X saga.

• Haha 4

everytime I see the phone on my desktop I think "unbelievable, it's here..."

I feel lucky as the direct concurrent keyboarded-phone from Planet computer seems to be a complete scam now. (I don't expect a Pro2).

That say, I wish you a good ending for the saga.

• Like 3

Well, today my saga has finally come to an end. After paying a 49 euro import fee, the delivery guy was gone in a flash. The packaging looked like it was meant for the original Pro1, but inside was a blue Pro1X. Unfortunately, it has a custom engraving on the back. And, of course, it won’t turn on. So, I’ve resorted to putting a rubber band on the power button while it’s hooked up to the charger, hoping it’ll eventually come to life. Regardless i will 3d print a frame and put it on my wall. 

This will likely be my final post here, as my journey has come to a rather ironic conclusion. I’ll probably be ordering my next phone on Indiegogo—because what could possibly go wrong? To those still waiting for their phones, perhaps it’s a blessing in disguise; at least you won’t have a constant reminder of the misplaced faith in F(x)tec / Indiegogo and its leadership.

I first ordered the Pro1 on July 28, 2018, through their website. Spoiler alert: I still haven’t received it. It was supposed to be upgraded to a Pro1-X, but guess what—I’m still waiting on that one too. Trusting the crowdfunding route, I placed another order on December 10, 2020, hoping it would finally resolve my original order and the new one. Technically, I was right, just off by 3 years, 8 months, and 16 days.

Best of luck to everyone still hanging in there!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hello all, I wanted to post one success story after the years of despair in this community. My Pro1 X arrived last week to Czechia with around 50% charge in black instead of blue but I am grateful to receive something. Contribution #36xx. Flashing LineageOS 21 worked like a charm. My impression after a few days:

Pros

• The keyboard is great: I was used to Blackberries but I find the wide layout quite comfortable, the thumbs must travel a bit more but it's superior for languages with accents like Czech.
  • LTE works fine in Czechia with T-Mobile including VoLTE. I am lucky in this regard.
  • Performance is enough even with the old chipset for browsing and messaging.
  • Most apps are fine in landscape, not too cramped after I decreased the size of system UI elements.
  • Battery life is fine. Even with heavier usage on vacation I got a full day out of it (maps, camera, higher screentime due to reading a lot). I expect multiple days with my usual usage.

Cons

• The camera is pretty bad, it lacks detail. It's somehow useful in good lighting. I experimented with OpenCamera, Pixel Camera but so far, the standard LineageOS camera seem to provide the best results even though it doesn't have many features.
  • 5Gh wi-fi connectivity seems bad, it constantly disconnects from my wi-fi. Hotel wi-fi worked fine. I'm gonna experiment with 2,4 Gh at home.
  • I haven't find a way to assign custom keyboard shortcuts to run selected apps.
  • NFC doesn't seem to work at all.

I wish everyone at least as smooth operation as I have. Fingers crossed for everyone still waiting.

• Thanks 2