Can't believe it's finally happened. (Cracked Screen)

I'm baa-aaack. (After a stay in hospital (AGAIN.))🥵

So I've finally gone and cracked my screen 😢. Despite the phone being in a case when I dropped it the darn thing bounced out of the case when it hit the floor and the top left corner hit the concrete. The crack is a small star crack that just covers the none viewable black border. I've put some clear nail varnish over it for now (to stop any splinters breaking out) and I've got 2 screen protectors on order that should help stop it from getting bigger. I've looked on Ali Express but the screens are no longer available (bummer 😢)

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I replaced my screen. All in all it took me about an hour I think, spread over three days. First I removed the screen with the help of my trusty hairdryer. I bought this hairdryer a couple of years

I bet that was the hardest part, to leave that bottle untouched for 48 hours? 😂

so, just to get back to you - i received today my new screen for the Pro1. switching the screens was easy.  the new screen works like a breeze, 100% responsive touch surface, OLED fine too, though the

Posted Images

I have to replace mine too. I already have the screen, just haven't come around to start fiddling with a hairdryer and glue 😒. Fortunately I own a spare frame which I can use. I'll try to take a couple of pictures of the process. Maybe this weekend.

Edited by DieBruine
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, DieBruine said:

I have to replace mine too. I already have the screen, just haven't come around to start fiddling with a hairdryer and glue 😒. Fortunately I own a spare frame which I can use. I'll try to take a couple of pictures of the process. Maybe this weekend.

A hairdryer may not be the best solution because of the excessive air flow and uncontrolled temperature.
A proper heat gun would be a much better tool anyway.

Also, ensure to use a proper (not too strong but suitable) glue, I think something has arrived together with the screen which should be good.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, VaZso said:

A hairdryer may not be the best solution because of the excessive air flow and uncontrolled temperature.
A proper heat gun would be a much better tool anyway.

Also, ensure to use a proper (not too strong but suitable) glue, I think something has arrived together with the screen which should be good.

I'm not so worried about that hairdryer. The spare is a brand new screen FxTec sent me to replace a faulty screen. But this one has even more issues. Heating it up to loosten the LCD wouldn't cause any additional damage. I'm hoping replacing just the LCD will suffice. And you are correct, some glue was provided. 

On 5/12/2021 at 5:33 AM, internationaltraitor said:

but, did you try to smash it against the asphalt 3 times ?

Whut? 😳 

Er...no. But has anyone else noticed how the damage never shows up on screenshots? 😉

Edited by MickH
Added a funny.

I was watching an advertisement on TV last night. It was for car windscreen repairs and I suddenly had this crazy idea about the possibility of doing the same thing for small cracks in phone screens. 🤪💡

• Haha 3
20 hours ago, MickH said:

I was watching an advertisement on TV last night. It was for car windscreen repairs and I suddenly had this crazy idea about the possibility of doing the same thing for small cracks in phone screens. 🤪💡

well if its just the glass covering and not the actual screen.......

• Like 1

So I replaced my screen. All in all it took me about an hour I think, spread over three days. First I removed the screen with the help of my trusty hairdryer. I bought this hairdryer a couple of years ago specific for these kind of 'operations' (came with a nozzle). I heated up one (long) side and put my nail in between the gap (screen and frame). I repeated this on the other side. After I removed the glue residue from the frame I transferred the black and silver stickers from the old screen to the new screen. No idea why, but I just did, assuming there moust be a reason FxTec places those stickers. Then I applied the glue, included in the Ali-order, to the frame and stuck the screen to the frame. Afterwards I put a bottle of whisky on the screen to apply pressure and let the glue dry for at least 48 hours. By the way, I can see absolutely NO difference in hardware (which is why I included the pictures side-by-side).

That was two days ago. I just re-assembled my phone and ofcourse the digitizer doesn't function properly (outer edges don't register input). So I had to go back to stock to update the firmware in the screen. The outer edges now respond to input/ touch. 
Just flashed LoS 20210524 and MtG and of course it doesn't boot. So I'm cycling through slot a and b now. Forgot to wipe after flashing to LoS, I assumed going back to stock was enough. Wipe/ erase system did the trick.

Replacing the screen is something anyone can do. The only thing that can happen is that it can get messy due to the glue. I would advise you first apply the glue, press the screen on the frame, apply some sort of pressure, and after a couple of hours wipe the glue of the frame with your fingers. Actually I would describe it as rubbing the glue residue from the frame to the screen. I left the film on so I'm not worried the glue won't come off.

DSC01461.JPG

DSC01462.JPG

DSC01463.JPG

DSC01466.JPG

DSC01465.JPG

DSC01467.JPG

DSC01460.JPG

DSC01464.JPG

Edited by DieBruine
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 7
6 hours ago, DieBruine said:

Afterwards I put a bottle of whisky on the screen to apply pressure and let the glue dry for at least 48 hours.

I bet that was the hardest part, to leave that bottle untouched for 48 hours? 😂

• Haha 7
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, DieBruine said:

At least I enjoyed it for almost a month 🤬

Dropped it a day after I shipped my last in mint condition spare 🥴. And of course prices for the screens have gone up.. .

:S

...but at least it can be still repaired back to mint condition.

• Like 1