Pro1x - really poor connectivity to both wifi and cellular.

This is the phone that made me adjust my hostapd configuration to get HT40 and change to an unused channel.  Also it stopped disconnecting after I disabled doze on it. It loses some battery life but it's worth it to me to not lose connectivity. I see log messages with doze enabled:

08-11 11:18:10.517   594   600 E [email protected]: Error opening kernel wakelock stats for: wakeup4: Permission denied
08-11 11:18:10.512   594   594 W Binder:594_1: type=1400 audit(0.0:4587): avc: denied { read } for name="wakeup4" dev="sysfs" ino=34968 scontext=u:r:system_suspend:s0 tcontext=u:object_r:sysfs:s0 tclass=dir permissive=0
08-11 11:18:10.516   594   594 W Binder:594_1: type=1400 audit(0.0:4588): avc: denied { read } for name="wakeup56" dev="sysfs" ino=57580 scontext=u:r:system_suspend:s0 tcontext=u:object_r:sysfs:s0 tclass=dir permissive=0
08-11 11:18:10.516   594   594 W Binder:594_1: type=1400 audit(0.0:4589): avc: denied { read } for name="wakeup46" dev="sysfs" ino=57208 scontext=u:r:system_suspend:s0 tcontext=u:object_r:sysfs:s0 tclass=dir permissive=0
08-11 11:18:10.516   594   594 W Binder:594_1: type=1400 audit(0.0:4590): avc: denied { read } for name="wakeup2" dev="sysfs" ino=30725 scontext=u:r:system_suspend:s0 tcontext=u:object_r:sysfs:s0 tclass=dir permissive=0
08-11 11:18:10.519   594   600 E [email protected]: Error opening kernel wakelock stats for: wakeup56: Permission denied
08-11 11:18:10.520   594   600 E [email protected]: Error opening kernel wakelock stats for: wakeup46: Permission denied

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, it appears that I was able to repair my Pro1-X's radios. Previously, telephony and mobile data wouldn't work for me, as documented earlier in this thread. WiFi, Bluetooth and GPS had always w

It's hard to say whether these antenna connectors were broken when shipped, or due to disassembly on your part. Have  you've heard the antenna rattle inside the phone when you first received it? Would

Got a response back, apparently it's something they are aware of and looking to come up with a patch very soon. So looks like it's a firmware issue, rather than a hardware issue thankfully.

Posted Images

Hello

I received my phone 4 days ago and i couldn't even stand using it as a daily device and gave up in about 12 hours .. the cellar connection is really bad, sometime i would wait 30 sec for calling and most of my received calls go to voice mail ... This needs to be fix ... I mean there is many other issues but its acceptable but the networking issue is a deal breaker to me.

• Like 1

I noticed that "Preferred network type" in settings had everything enabled, including 5G and some China-only types.  I changed it to only include the network types relevant to me, which for T-Mobile was CSM/WCDMA/LTE.  After that incoming calls seem to connect a little faster though this could be confirmation bias 😆

• Thanks 2
3 hours ago, toast said:

I cant imagine having spent 2 years waiting and having paid close enough to 1000€ for what would basically amount to a hightech brick, would the connectivity be as bad as some describe it

I would advise you to relax. I guess, much of your first impression is determined from what other phone you come from.

I asked, and @EskeRahn reported a direct comparison of the Pro1-X and Pro1 above, which I interpret as "on-par-within-the-measurement-uncertainty". @Rob. S. reported similarly in a different thread.  I own only a Pro1, and was never super-happy with its WiFi or LTE connectivity, but it has still been perfectly usable over the last two years. So, in your place, I wouldn't worry too much about that point right now.

Edited by claude0001
  • Like 1

I also got similar results between Pro1, Pro1x and Titan Pocket for WiFi (posted in the first page), which doesn't mean it's great, but certainly is usable. I always felt that my Pro1 was not the best at network reception, but I still wouldn't have used anything else since I got it in late 2019. Mobile network reception is more critical to me than WiFi, and that I didn't compare between Pro1, Pro1x and Titan Pocket because I was too lazy to swap my SIM card, but again the Pro1 was not stellar there, but not what I would call horrible either.

• Thanks 2
35 minutes ago, claude0001 said:

I would advise you to relax. I guess, much of your first impression is determined from what other phone you come from.

I asked, and @EskeRahn reported a direct comparison of the Pro1-X and Pro1 above, which I interpret as "on-par-within-the-measurement-uncertainty". @Rob. S. reported similarly in a different thread.  I own only a Pro1, and was never super-happy with its WiFi or LTE connectivity, but it has still been perfectly usable over the last two years. So, in your place, I wouldn't worry too much about that point right now.

Please do not put too much weight on my simple tests. It MIGHT be that not all bands work equally well, so if some depends on a frequency where it does not work well, their results would clearly be worse.
We would need some more scientific approach to this with some suitable box that can act as an access point, and 'browse' through all supported channels of 2.4 and 5GHz, and then we should measure the time a band change takes, as well as the speed in each band. And all this at different distances... And with the device in different angles.

Without a systematic approach we could easily be comparing apples and oranges. And thus get different results.

Stock Android on the Pro1 has another odd WiFi bug. If I travel without turning WiFi off, I will get spontaneous boots at what seems like random points. I do not yet know if this goes for the Pro1X too - I hope not....

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, EskeRahn said:

If I travel without turning WiFi off, I will get spontaneous boots at what seems like random points.

Never heard of that -- but then I've also never used stock Android 9. I tend to view this anecdote as proof of how much the Pro1-X (too) will leave its initial (software) problems behind once we see LineageOS up and soaring ... Firmware bugs are a different story, of course.

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, claude0001 said:

Never heard of that -- but then I've also never used stock Android 9. I tend to view this anecdote as proof of how much the Pro1-X (too) will leave its initial (software) problems behind once we see LineageOS up and soaring ... Firmware bugs are a different story, of course.

I had this problem while traveling on a highway at one direction near a specific place several times but not always.

Since a point in time I did not experience these spontaneous reboots maybe after one of the stock upgrades but definitively not since I use LineageOS on my Pro1.

Anyway, I have received my Pro1X today - I plan to write something about it but basically it is well assembled, however, I feel stock system still needs improving.
...it remembers me of Pro1's stock system like the way the screen does not come up well on Pro1X after moving the phone off my head for example... since I use LineageOS on my Pro1, similar problems have gone.

...and yes, this time the proper speaker is working on handsfree mode unlike with Pro1 (it had a miswiring which was solved as a firmware upgrade but it has also caused handsfree mode to use the wrong speaker, exactly near microphone which was never repaired at software side and this causes handsfree problems).

Edited by VaZso
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 8/12/2022 at 7:24 AM, RasaCarta said:

My voice half the time won't get through to the other end. I can hear them, but not vice-versa.
Every so often I'll get an error when dialing a phone number where it states there was a connection issue of some sort

I'm having this same problem with Android, Ubuntu Touch and Sailfish so I doubt its a software issue. If the call actually does connect and the other side can hear me, I have about 10 seconds to say my piece before the network and call drops.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
1 hour ago, liquidvx said:

I'm having this same problem with Android, Ubuntu Touch and Sailfish so I doubt its a software issue. If the call actually does connect and the other side can hear me, I have about 10 seconds to say my piece before the network and call drops.

If they are using the hardware drivers from stock android, the issues are unlikely to be limited to one OS.

• Like 1

i think we have to start with a other Point.

I use the Phone since Friday with no Problems by making some longer Calls (1 Hour) and my phone rings everytime so no forwarding to the Voicebox. -> Phonecalls are working

So i think the problem is to search in the type of Networks.

i am located in Germany (Munich) and use Vodafone GSM/WCDMA/LTE

With the Data Connection i have some Problems in the underground but this i have with every Phone. I have now made the change described here, And will test it the next days.

13 hours ago, millert said:

I noticed that "Preferred network type" in settings had everything enabled, including 5G and some China-only types.  I changed it to only include the network types relevant to me, which for T-Mobile was CSM/WCDMA/LTE.  After that incoming calls seem to connect a little faster though this could be confirmation bias 😆

Edited by Malcolm
  • Thanks 2
55 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

i am located in Germany (Munich) and use Vodafone GSM/WCDMA/LTE

Indeed as not all reports it, it could well be limited to certain bands. And this goes for both cellular and WiFi.

Sometimes bugs are really elusive I got two sims in my daily Pro1. Around August first I suddenly rarely could do data, mms or calls on my primary sim in slot 1. SMS worked just fine, and swapping the sims both works fine. Another sim from same provider in slot 1 works fine too, and the sim inserted in another Pro1 does too... Now how is that for an elusive bug for you! (And no the contacts are not worn through or anything like that), so after accepting slot 2 to be my new primary, all seem to work again....

• Confused 1
1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

i think we have to start with a other Point.

I use the Phone since Friday with no Problems by making some longer Calls (1 Hour) and my phone rings everytime so no forwarding to the Voicebox. -> Phonecalls are working

...or around VoLTE / VoWiFi settings.

I also had problems on Pro1 when switched mobile data from one card to another (after doing also an Aeroplane mode on/off switch) that the other card started having problems of receiving/initiating a call because it wanted to also use mobile data but otherwise I did not see VoXXX to be working, however, both cards work well when mobile data was switched to the other service provider (only one of my cards support VoXXX).

So it also worth looking around this setting as the source of such problems.

• Thanks 2

In the stock ROM I've been testing radio connections a lot in these days. I have LTE, WCDMA and GSM. I have a perfectly working Mi 9T Pro. Comparing the signal levels, there is no significant difference (maximum 5%) on any of the networks. I noticed that with LTE (B20 for sure, B3 I don't know yet) the Pro1X randomly drops the network for a moment (about half a second) and reconnects. This happens roughly every 20-100 seconds. I don't know if anything has an effect on it. Sometimes the upload and download arrows next to the 4G icon on the notification bar disappear for a second and then return. I monitored the signal levels with the Network cell info lite application, because it provides detailed information. I also did speed tests. EDGE network is not relevant. I got similar speeds with HSDPA+, but the difference is big with LTE. While xiaomi measures 48-50 Mbps, Fxtech measures 2-3 Mbps. So the signal level is apparently similar, but the available speed is different. In the case of Wifi, the signal level in the case of fxtech directly next to the router is -52 dBm, in the case of Xiaomi it is -42 dBm, at a frequency of 2.4 GHz. Wifi speed test result for fxtech ~36 Mbps, for xiaomi ~50 Mbps. In the case of positioning, Xiaomi sees 38 satellites in the same location, fxtech sees 3, of which 1 is SBAS and 2 are GPS. Among the speakers, the one on the right (bottom) sometimes works, sometimes not. Could it be a contact error or a software problem?

• Thanks 3

Hi,

I received my phone on Tuesday.
Currently I'm facing following issues with phone calls:

1) When I call someone, or someone calls me there is a silent moment of 30 sec before it starts ringing.
Sometimes the call aborts before it starts ringing. - Even when having full cell phone reception.

2) It seems like the sensor that checks if the mobile is placed next to the ear is not working properly.
I had no call, where I haven't pressed the mute button.
Pressing the mute button or other buttons even happens if the screen is black.

BR Robert

Edited by Robert
  • Like 1

My connection is poor - slow and unreliable.  Calls drop out or struggle to find a connection.  I have a speaker issue, the sound seems to move or at least go high and low and other times the sound it is barely audible...

Any idea where I can find a screen protector and case?

Thanks, all.

21 hours ago, Robert said:

1) When I call someone, or someone calls me there is a silent moment of 30 sec before it starts ringing.
Sometimes the call aborts before it starts ringing. - Even when having full cell phone reception.

I think it is a software issue which they should repair sooner or later by an upgrade.
I have also experienced a similar behaviour  - maybe related to VoLTE / VoWiFi but not checked yet.

22 hours ago, Robert said:

2) It seems like the sensor that checks if the mobile is placed next to the ear is not working properly.
I had no call, where I haven't pressed the mute button.
Pressing the mute button or other buttons even happens if the screen is black.

Do you mean the sensor does nothing or touch panel works even when screen is off?
If the latter (but otherwise screen blanks) then it is not a sensor issue.

I may check later (I don't have Pro1X with me now) if it behaves the same for me - it sounds also to be a software issue.

So I would not worry too much yet. 🙂

I just received my unit yesterday and took about an hour to finally connect to Verizon network in the US.   I had to update Google messages to finally send out sms.   It does take a bit to call someone but I did finally change the setting for only CDMA.   I have notice while I'm at work browsing the web using only my data it disconnects all of a sudden.   When I turned on the wifi it hasn't disconnected at all,  which is strange,.   Not sure if it disconnect because was using to much data but that has never happened before with my other phones. I haven't tested my GPS but will this weekend.   I'm hoping the connectivity gets an firmware update soon.   I think I've gotten lucky that I'm able to text and call right from the get go.   My only complaint is the speakers not working properly, in and out volume outage. 

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Mysti-Que2020 said:

I just received my unit yesterday and took about an hour to finally connect to Verizon network in the US.   I had to update Google messages to finally send out sms.   It does take a bit to call someone but I did finally change the setting for only CDMA.   I have notice while I'm at work browsing the web using only my data it disconnects all of a sudden.   When I turned on the wifi it hasn't disconnected at all,  which is strange,.   Not sure if it disconnect because was using to much data but that has never happened before with my other phones. I haven't tested my GPS but will this weekend.   I'm hoping the connectivity gets an firmware update soon.   I think I've gotten lucky that I'm able to text and call right from the get go.   My only complaint is the speakers not working properly, in and out volume outage. 

Please share details on connecting to Verizon-- did you use a method posted here for the Pro1 or did you do something else?  I assumed you had a sim from a previous Verizon phone that you used?  What steps did you take.

I'm interested in whether there's something about the Pro1x that makes it easier than it seemed to be on the Pro1.

Do be aware that it might not last.  Verizon is becoming more aggressive about blocking non-approved phones, especially as they take down their CDMA network.  Keep us posted if anything happens.

• Thanks 2
2 hours ago, Mysti-Que2020 said:

It does take a bit to call someone but I did finally change the setting for only CDMA. 

Other American users have reported that soon, all networking protocols prior to 4G will be shut down in the US. So this might not be a long-term solution ...

edit: As expected, @Hook was faster ... 😄

Edited by claude0001
  • Sad 2
On 8/19/2022 at 12:24 PM, Hook said:

Please share details on connecting to Verizon-- did you use a method posted here for the Pro1 or did you do something else?  I assumed you had a sim from a previous Verizon phone that you used?  What steps did you take.

I'm interested in whether there's something about the Pro1x that makes it easier than it seemed to be on the Pro1.

Do be aware that it might not last.  Verizon is becoming more aggressive about blocking non-approved phones, especially as they take down their CDMA network.  Keep us posted if anything happens.

Correct,  I already had an activated Sim card through Verizon.  The Sim card I have is about 3 years old and was a replacement for my unlocked blackberry key2le to work on the network.  When I first booted up the Pro1x,  I follow the prompts and then change the network settings to LTE/CDMA/EvDo/GSM/WCDMA which seems to work a little better than it was first originally selected.   I'm able to make phone calls and also receive them quicker but still noticeably slower than my other phone which was a galaxy s10e.   Texting has its ups and downs,  where it takes about 30 seconds to send or instantly.  I'm crossing my fingers that if Verizon is shutting the cdma towers it doesn't effect us or that will be some bullsh**!

Edited

I had to change my settings to CDMA/EvDo to be able to even send and receive texts and calls on Verizon.   All the other settings are either I can send messages out and web browse but I'm unable to call out.   This setting so far I can do both but only have 3G network.   

Edited by Mysti-Que2020
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1