Pro1x - really poor connectivity to both wifi and cellular.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, it appears that I was able to repair my Pro1-X's radios. Previously, telephony and mobile data wouldn't work for me, as documented earlier in this thread. WiFi, Bluetooth and GPS had always w

For anyone in Australia using 3G and worried about the impending shutdown of Telstra's 3G network, I finally figured out how to enable VoLTE. I am with Aldi Mobile (Telstra) and have been using the  "

It's hard to say whether these antenna connectors were broken when shipped, or due to disassembly on your part. Have  you've heard the antenna rattle inside the phone when you first received it? Would

Posted Images

On 1/31/2023 at 11:57 PM, claude0001 said:

I'm in the EU (Germany), no 3G here anymore, just GSM and LTE. Pro1-X connects only in some specific "islands", cannot be regarded as a portable device, really.

Germany without 3G here, too, Vodafone and T-Mobile SIMs: LTE frequently drops on both SIMs, so no good internet, but voice is no problem, both incoming at outgoing calls work well enough so far.

12 hours ago, Rasva said:

Also another problem - this app does not work under Lineage, at least for me. It says "no active cells detected"

Yep. Unfortunately, I couldn't get LTE discovery to work. I have LineageOS without Gapps. Even giving the app root access did not help ...

For what it's worth... No band switching here, but that doesn't mean there would be a stable data connection, either. Pro1X with stock Android.

Screenshot_20230202-211254.thumb.png.43e1c23b4ee74013b34fb19ababc66ff.png

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, Rob. S. said:

Germany without 3G here, too, Vodafone and T-Mobile SIMs: LTE frequently drops on both SIMs, so no good internet, but voice is no problem, both incoming at outgoing calls work well enough so far.

Are you still on Stock 2.1.2? Or are you using on of the Beta's? FYI, I'm UK based, on O2. My problem was in coming calls: right after booting I could receive 1 call but subsequent calls failed, with a message implying the network couldn't reach my Pro1x. Data & WiFi I did not have any issues with (unlike some others report).

It's v.v. frustrating; I never got an orig. Pro1: I 'found' my 'X' off eBay after all these years; I love having the kb back (I still have an N97!) - but I can't trust the X as my daily phone 😔

2 hours ago, Tim6263 said:

Are you still on Stock 2.1.2? Or are you using on of the Beta's? FYI, I'm UK based, on O2. My problem was in coming calls: right after booting I could receive 1 call but subsequent calls failed, with a message implying the network couldn't reach my Pro1x. Data & WiFi I did not have any issues with (unlike some others report).

Yes, I'm on Stock 2.1.2, which has been my daily driver now for several months despite its shortcomings. I didn't bother installing one of the betas yet; my plan is to go straight to LineageOS when it's official.

I had no problems with calls until yesterday when the other side didn't hear me until after two or three reconnections, but that also included a mobile router and a bluetooth headset so I cannot say where exactly the problem was yesterday...

Edited by Rob. S.
15 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

If I interpret the dumps here correctly, band 3 seems to be related to the problem.

In Australia with my provider, according to documentation band 3 is

3G: 850MHz, 2100MHz

4G/LTE: 1800MMHz

Here are the details in a screenshot

This seems to match what @FlyingAntero said in an earlier post here:

Screenshot_20230205-122938_1.png

Edited by doubleddav
  • Like 1
On 2/4/2023 at 11:12 AM, EskeRahn said:

If I interpret the dumps here correctly, band 3 seems to be related to the problem.

That would consistent with my observation earlier, LTE band 3 had issues even with very good signal levels.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, doubleddav said:

Awesome, now what can we do with that information?

Well apart from it hopefully being helpful to narrow down the issue for FxTec, we for now might try to see if it helps if we prohibit the phone from using that band (giving that the carrier in use have other bands that covers the area obviously)

23 hours ago, Tim6263 said:

I've posted a link to @doubleddav Sat. at 10:37pm on the Telegram 'beta' discussion thread... This gets waaay too technical for me, but hopefully the devs on Telegram will make something of it?!!

I think you give me too much credit 🤣 I just copied what everyone else did

But if I can help, happy to. I didn't seem to receive a link, are you able to resend?

7 hours ago, doubleddav said:

I think you give me too much credit 🤣 I just copied what everyone else did

But if I can help, happy to. I didn't seem to receive a link, are you able to resend?

This is the link I posted on Telegram:

https://community.fxtec.com/topic/3612-pro1x-really-poor-connectivity-to-both-wifi-and-cellular/?do=findComment&comment=65345

in my eyes at least, U pulled together several comments & came to a conclusion, that seems 2B worthy of consideration by those who have the ability to improve Pro1x 'stock' OS &/or firmware.

Right now, my Pro1x is little better than a v.v. expensive toy or prototype: it is too unreliable at recieving calls; I can't trust it to work as a phone, which is what it is marketed as! And if F(X)tec don't put this right, & soon, the company and the project will FAIL - which will be a massive disappointment.

I don't believe anyone here wants to see that happen, but it will if they don't get their act together, and quickly.  And that's why I posted your comment as I did, in the hope that it would be seen by those can and need to step up to the challenge and make the difference!!

PS, I've pm'd U also...

Edited by Tim6263
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for trying to shed some light on this severe issue. Unfortunately I cannot provide data until I find a way to report modem usage in (Gapps-free) LineageOS. Discover LTE does not work for me for the reasons discussed.

Meanwhile, I have taken my Pro1X on a few trips across Germany. Its LTE/VoLTE reliability is catastrophic all around. Even with a theoretically good connection (> -100 dBm) there is usually no Internet service. I gave up testing GSM (i.e. non-VoLTE) calls as they have never worked for me, even with working LTE (data) connection. Side note: My (835)Pro1, while far from stellar in its connectivity, did perform acceptably in all cases.

Sadly, as F(x)tec have reportedly been working on this issue for months with no tangible result, I fear that this is a hardware issue that is essentially unresolvable from the software side ...

Edited by claude0001
  • Sad 2
14 minutes ago, claude0001 said:

Sadly, as F(x)tec have reportedly been working on this issue for months with no tangible result, ...

Perhaps key is "reportedly" or rather lack of report? I don't think I've even seen it acknowledged since this back on October:

Screenshot_20230207-233612.png

• Sad 1

The devs are in the UK yeah? I'm in Australia, others seem to be having issues around Europe. From what I've read over the years telcos in North America have all these weird arbitrary restrictions and feature locks, so not surprised if they're having problems.

Is anyone here from the UK and experiencing the problem? If so, who is your provider?

6 hours ago, doubleddav said:

The devs are in the UK yeah? I'm in Australia, others seem to be having issues around Europe. From what I've read over the years telcos in North America have all these weird arbitrary restrictions and feature locks, so not surprised if they're having problems.

Is anyone here from the UK and experiencing the problem? If so, who is your provider?

The dev? They're in China.

47 minutes ago, PoongZY said:

The dev? They're in China.

That is something I was thinking about. China uses mostly different LTE technology (TDD) and FDD B3 band is not that so common there. I don't know if that affects somehow. Maybe devs in China cannot reproduce the issues? One idea is that TDD does not use freq below 1880Mhz in China. B3 (EU) and B4 bands (US) uses 1700-1800Mhz for uplink (as GSM 1800Mhz also). Maybe we can narrow down the issue to 1700-1800 freqs? I am still just guessing...

- https://www.phonearena.com/news/Cheat-sheet-which-4G-LTE-bands-do-AT-T-Verizon-T-Mobile-and-Sprint-use-in-the-USA_id77933

China, on the other hand, uses a whole different 4G LTE standard - while the Western world has rolled out FDD-LTE networks, China and large parts of Asia use TDD-LTE. The differences between FDD and TDD are purely technical and the main one boils down to the fact that FDD is symmetrical (1:1 upload vs download), while TDD allows variable up / down ratio. The main bands for China are TD bands 40 and 41. More recently, China has also reallocated bands B1 and B3 to be used for its 4G LTE networks.

7 hours ago, doubleddav said:

There are at least 2 reports in this thread from UK (EE and O2). EE uses heavily 1800Mhz but O2 mostly 800Mhz (LTE). EE user said that cannot make calls but O2 users reported that there are issues when receiving calls. But since we don't what bands are actually used, we can only make guesses.

O2: 

EE: 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, FlyingAntero said:

There are at least 2 reports in this thread from UK (EE and O2). EE uses heavily 1800Mhz but O2 mostly 800Mhz (LTE). EE user said that cannot make calls but O2 users reported that there are issues when receiving calls. But since we don't what bands are actually used, we can only make guesses.

When I have first tried the phone, as far as I remember well, I had a Telekom Hungary card inserted.
I had both problems - problem on receiving and initiating calls, but first call worked after restart (maybe modem standby issue).

I haven't checked it since a while and currently it also has a Telenor Hungary card inserted which  also had similar problem but in dual-SIM configuration.

I may also check it using Telekom/Telenor/Vodafone Hungary if that matters (in one-SIM configuration) but as far as I remember well, they use similar frequency bands.

• Thanks 2

Hi, I'm living in Malaysia.

I'm also facing unstable connectivity issue on Band3/7 with my Pro1X.

My finding is when I traveled to Thai last week, connectivity was OK.

At that time, I didn't check which Band was connected, but it seems Band1 is common in Thai.

Besides, I'm checking Japanese BBS about Pro1/Pro1x recently.

No one report connectivity issue as far as I know.

Band1 is common in Japan as well.

• Thanks 2