Protective Case Suggestions and Ideas

First look of the protective case which is still WIP. This will be a free gift for users placed their pre-order.

Feedback we received so far:

- Making colour into transparent grey instead of pure transparent

- Using softer silicon material

What is your thoughts? ;)

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First testprint made last night. I've split the bottom up in 2 parts to figure out how well the fit is. there is some slight (2mm) missalignment of the buttons and usb-c header and the camera placemen

I made a leather pouch for the Pro1. I used cow leather, thickness about 2 mm. All the parts are glued with super glue gel adhesive which remains flexible. I made some holes to see the led and to get

Just finished a quick sketch of the bottom part of the protective cover:   Will run a test print tonight to get first dimensions with hard plastic to see how the shell fits, then adjust

Posted Images

A little hard to see. Is it the back only, or also a screen protector?

The pure transparent will quickly risk looking worn when scratched, so I'm for a softer material.

For the BB Priv I have bought a bunch that I guess are made from PU that has been rubberised. It gives a good grip and reasonable protection. I think it is like this one. (And I have combined it with a tempered glass protector, that I have changed about every 1-2 months)

SUGGESTION:

Make a collaboration with someone making external QI-recievers like e.g. this one or this one (or what ever fits best), and make matching cut outs, and the option to add it in the basket with the Pro1.

Waxberry found some news on twitter on the case, see this thread..

@EskeRahn no no no no no please NO! Please don't do this! This wersion of case is sh#t... F(x)tec You just have to made something exacly like this please PLEASE!

I had one of these for my personal Nokia E7 and this is briliant. It's even helpfull in holding the phone in hand! Yes! And this plastic clip make even better angle when You want to put smartphone on surface for Youtube watching becouse it make entire construction higher. Plus front of those case make the screen protect. And this beautifully leather business look... So, only this kind of case wersion please!
  • Thanks 1

Ya ya but I really think this case is isn't good option. It is't an option at all for me absolutely. As I post in another topic, only one good choice to do very good case is to make a similar case as Nokia cp-501. Please look at this video

and tell me what all of You thinking about it! I don't have any photo but You must imagine it - when we flip this front flap in 180 degree than we have another stand for even beter angle to view for example videos on you tube when smartphone laying on table surface.

Personally, I am not a fan of that style of case, but I can see the advantage for a phone that has an unprotected screen. It would also work well for women keeping the phone in their purse.

On that twitter thread, someone mentioned Sugru. I hadn't heard about it before. It is moldable glue that turns into a type of silicone rubber when it cures. There might be a way to use that to raise the edges of the provided f(x)tec case and/or add some bumpers to the corners of the curved screen.

Unless someone can come up with a way to make a separate snap on case for the screen or a case that snaps on the bottom of the phone, but has raised edges to protect the screen, there doesn't seem to be a very good way to protect the screen from a drop when the phone is collapsed. And no way to protect it when the keyboard is out.

The solution is a phone with a bezel and a case that snaps around that bezel. That is what has been done for other sliders in the past.

I do like how that case in the video (for the Nokia) wraps around the corners and seems to provide substantial protection. I wonder if it comes up higher than the eges of the screen.

The Nokia CP-501 type of case is not to my taste either, but I do understand that it fits the needs of some. Frankly for a slider, it would be more clever if the 'lid' part went backwards, and had a flexible fold, like this sketch drawn on an image from engadget's hands-on.

Pro1_Case_Principle

(and yes it would extent beyond the screen, but perhaps a cleverly placed magnet could help keeping it in place.)

Optimally the lid part could be detachable, so the same case could be used both as full protection or the base part only. Depending of the need of the day of different users....

@MichalTUR I had that official Nokia E7 case for a while but the small plastic bit for closing it broke pretty fast. The PDair all leather case was similar but a lot more sturdy and classy albeit thicker. What we want really is a mix of the Nokia E7 PDair and Leicke Manna for Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. See links in Tweets above.

@EskeRahn You can optionally fold back the cover under the base when you put the phone on a table. It's called a bookcase because it opens like a book, so the screen cover should open on the side of the keyboard.

Here is how you do it:

- Pickup your phone

- Open the bookcase while rotating

- Snap up the screen revealing the keyboard

- Type happily

When holding your phone in landscape the cover is naturally being held in place between your palms while you type with your thumbs. When sitting at a table you either fold the cover under the base or leave it before the keyboard where it doubles up as palm rest.

@Slion

@michaltur I had that official Nokia E7 case for a while but the small plastic bit for closing it broke pretty fast.

I am suprised. Are You pretty sure, that Your case was a genuine Nokia product? I asking because I used my Nokia E7 for almost three years and by all this time with case on Phone. By all this time period I must say that the case work just Perfect, no plastic breaks, no scratches, leather look very good to the end...

Not gonna lie, that protector looks very cheap compared to that phone sitting inside it.

A case not protecting the screen is pretty much worthless to be honest. A flipcase would probably work really well with the angled slider mechanism instead.

Alternatively there's still the good old full bag with slide out option.

• Like 1

> Are You pretty sure, that Your case was a genuine Nokia product?

Pretty sure, it was good though until that bit broke. Nevertheless it feels cheap next to the PDair all leather case but its low profile was definitely a plus.

That's a neat E7 case, MichalTUR, never saw that before. I had my E7 in a simple custom-cut leather-sleeve by fitBAG. I do use a foldable book-case style with my current phone and the main advantages to me are slip-protection and an easy way to prop it up at an angle. The Pro would not need the latter :D

I guess a book-case for the Pro would make more sense with the fold on the right hand side of the screen. That way, you could snap the screen open and it would flip back the cover more or less automatically.

I had the hard shell case for my Nokia E7 and I loved it. It added grip to the back and also protected the front screen because the 4 corners stuck up enough to raise the phone off a surface if laid face down. I also had an InvisibleShield / ArmorSuit plastic film on the screen to protect from scratches.

Reference photos:

case view from front

case view from side

case view from back

The case (nokia cc3009) was available in a few color stripes but overall it was the same case.

• Like 1

I like that case https:TerribleKing, It is always the corners that are the weakest spots (less the glass surface of course)

And a nice thing that it is slim on the middle as adding to the width of the Pro¹ in the 'holding area' could cause some users trouble holding it.

I feel like they should add several other cases, to fit the needs of many. Some people like myself absolutely can’t stand a silicone case whereas others like the way they feel. I had a somewhat rubber case for my BB KeyOne an I liked the way it felt. It was easy to slide in and out of my pocket. It wasn’t extremely bulky either. Which is a huge factor when making a case for a phone that is somewhat on the wider side. However, its probably not an easy task to make a “protective” case for a phone that is a slider.

My main concern however, is a screen protector. I understand you can buy those “cut to fit” protectors, but let’s face it. The cut to fit screen protectors are awful.. I really hope they, (or some company) will make a screen protector specifically designed for this phone. I for one am extremely cautious when it comes to my phones and I want nothing but top quality to ensure my phone will be protected in the event of a fall.

A leather flip case kinda seems to me like the only way the screen could be protected very good, so that would be my vote. I really like cases that somewhat recess the screen but it seems pretty much an impossibility with a slide out keyboard, for nokia e7 this existed (but seems unrealistic to implement well with smaller bezels): https://www.fonearena.com/blog/37714/review-otterbox-case-for-nokia-e7.html

• Like 1

Netman - Yes, that design you linked to is the proper way to protect a screen on a slider. I sure hope someone can figure out a way to create something like that for a bezel-less, curved screen. If the software would allow for shrinking the display by a user defined amount, that would allow case makers to attempt, essentially, creating a physical bezel for a bezel-less phone. It is going to be interesting when pictures of broken screens start showing up on these forums after this phone is released, due to the design of the screen on this phone.

gtmaster303 , a skin and a screen protector sounds great. I think I would prefer that. Especially if it is a tempered glass protector.

Perhaps rather that the protector case go for two different variations.

1) Skin for scratch-protecting and grip.

2) A more expensive full case with a flap

This would appeal to different user groups. Though better protected I personally would find a flap case too annoying and bulky. For others the skin protection will be too little protection.

• phoebus2000 changed the title to Will Pro1 3D printer files for a case work with Pro1X?