Protective Case Suggestions and Ideas

8 minutes ago, Siani_8 said:

I already have a nice handmade leather pouch for the Pro1 but I wonder if there was enough of us for a "group buy" if a phone case company would be interested in designing a hard case.  I assume they would need a phone in hand to do that?

It would certainly make things easier for them. Or at the least some good drawings of the exterior.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First testprint made last night. I've split the bottom up in 2 parts to figure out how well the fit is. there is some slight (2mm) missalignment of the buttons and usb-c header and the camera placemen

I made a leather pouch for the Pro1. I used cow leather, thickness about 2 mm. All the parts are glued with super glue gel adhesive which remains flexible. I made some holes to see the led and to get

Just finished a quick sketch of the bottom part of the protective cover:   Will run a test print tonight to get first dimensions with hard plastic to see how the shell fits, then adjust

Posted Images

23 hours ago, Gon009 said:

After seeing that they admitted that case doesn't exist after they already maybe started shipping phones... I would never imagine that they would fall down that much...

Really? Didnt catch this info anywhere.. Is that true? Sad story.. But I am already getting lost in all those hoax in here, so.. true or false?

Just now, Swond said:

Really? Didnt catch this info anywhere.. Is that true? Sad story.. But I am already getting lost in all those hoax in here, so.. true or false?

The case is gonna be a pouch style now instead of a hard case.  If I had to guess, I'd say some kind of neoprene pouch

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Swond said:

It was stated by @Erik there will probably be a pouch instead of a case as they were not statisfied with the quality of the cases they managed to make so far, in the production updates thread. I'm personally not sad as I like the idea of a pouch better and don't really see how a case could work.

• Like 1
On 10/31/2019 at 6:54 PM, EskeRahn said:

The bottom part has dimensions really close to a Samsung note 7 (153.5 x 73.9 x 7.9 mm) so I think I will try to find a leather case for that, and see what I can modify...

ADD Or "Note FE", same dimensions

As it seems hard to find cases that have bands over the ends, other models might be considered, if we are going to add the bands ourselves anyway, e.g. Huawei have a few that got the camera in a similar arrangement, so for the back we would not have to make a new hole, it would merely be a matter of PERHAPS adjusting the hole for the camera.

Here a search by dimensions...

The Huaweis got slightly softer corners, and the side keys/finger print scanner are a bit higher up (held in portrait). So some adjustments are needed here too...

• Like 2

What we really need is something like this (slight elaboration of previous idea), based on a case that fits the lower half (red) and some say leather (orange)

....prepared for bending in places that will require some experiments, my guesses marked in green. Note that the bottom corner must be free, or another bending place added, to allow the slide to open.

ADD: Perhaps with some straps over each end (blue)

Fxtec_Pro1_Case_Principle_v3.thumb.png.c7e05df8f01a2bf3c5c73e1542d62371.png

8 minutes ago, Siani_8 said:

Why couldn't something like what they did with the Priv case work where it was 2 piece hard shell?

If I remember right that was a case that got rails in it self, we can't really do a similar thing here

...technically you could extend the top an bottom with some external parallel mechanism, but It would be complex, clumpsy, and fragile as it would be exposed.

6 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

If I remember right that was a case that got rails in it self, we can't really do a similar thing here

...technically you could extend the top an bottom with some external parallel mechanism, but It would be complex, clumpsy, and fragile as it would be exposed.

Yeah there were rails bit the top piece was thin enough to snap onto the top half and thought maybe that would be doable here as well

1 minute ago, netman said:

Well then most of the weight is on the screen side which isn't nice and most of those cases that existed before are of pretty low quality sadly.

Yeh that's true, Even the Nokia E7 is so light in weight that in sliding mode if you touch the screen the flips.

but its better than nothing, if there is no other option available

I bought couple of simple cases from AliExpress. Since protective bumper case/ cover is not yet available for this phone, I had to get something to protect it.
Will use whatever feels convenient, as I am not used to such cases.

IMG_20191103_1941511.jpg

IMG_20191103_1941313.jpg

IMG_20191103_1940559.jpg

IMG_20191103_1939253.jpg

IMG_20191103_1939379.jpg

IMG_20191103_1940005.jpg

Edited by rejujacob
  • Thanks 1
54 minutes ago, mcdinner said:

the second one you posted does not protect the edges 😕

Actually the Pro1 has rounded edges and not so wide as the styrofoam sheet shown inside the case, 

I have taken pictures with my BB Keyone inside, to show how it looks. Though this is about 1.2mm narrower.

So I don't think it should be a problem.

WhatsApp Image 2019-11-03 at 22.18.10.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-11-03 at 22.18.04.jpeg

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, mcdinner said:

ah ok, thx for the info, it may work then. But I would still be afraid that it would move to an edge and the knock somewhere.

Reality will tell soon 🙂

Even if I move the Keyone, it cannot come to the edge. Moreover Pro1 will have tighter fit as it's more thick and should not move at all.

Like you said, actual fitting will be seen whenever the Pro1 arrives!

Anyway these are cheap cases and something is always better than nothing.

Edit: Worst case I will have to keep the screen facing inside.

Edited by rejujacob
  • Like 1
  • phoebus2000 changed the title to Will Pro1 3D printer files for a case work with Pro1X?