Protective Case Suggestions and Ideas

1 hour ago, claude0001 said:

While an official flip case for the Pro1 would be nice, I do not think that it is strictly necessary.

Indeed, have been using something similar for about two years (since the pre production unit).
I do recommend turning it around so it open like a Japanese book though, as this both protects the key AND have the flap away with the keyboard open, both handheld and on a table.

But would be interesting if someone could do it as a one piece 3D print in a transparent elastic TPU-like material so we could see the display closed, and perhaps have a slightly slimmer case. Optimally enclosing the magets needed for closing case as well as the one for the hal sensor detecting if the lid is closed.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First testprint made last night. I've split the bottom up in 2 parts to figure out how well the fit is. there is some slight (2mm) missalignment of the buttons and usb-c header and the camera placemen

I made a leather pouch for the Pro1. I used cow leather, thickness about 2 mm. All the parts are glued with super glue gel adhesive which remains flexible. I made some holes to see the led and to get

Just finished a quick sketch of the bottom part of the protective cover:   Will run a test print tonight to get first dimensions with hard plastic to see how the shell fits, then adjust

Posted Images

20 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

I do recommend turning it around so it open like a Japanese book though, as this both protects the key AND have the flap away with the keyboard open, both handheld and on a table.

I did consider that, but finally decided against, as I did not want to cut a second (large) hole for the camera lenses and flash into the back. Considering my limited craftsman skills and tools available I estimated that would look like sh*t in the end. 😄

Also, I got quite used to using the open flap as a kind of palmrest: I often type with the phone sitting on my knees (like a small laptop). Then, having my palms rest on the flap secures the device from falling off my lap, even while not pressing any keys.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, _DW_ said:

@claude0001does that close fine?  I mean a lot of the others need the credit card part removing from the case otherwise it doesn't close properly.

It closes fine and without effort. There is no strong tension on the small magnetic belt and it keeps the flap closed reliably.

However, the Pro1 being quite thick, it does not actually leave much space for many credit cards. I normally have only a photograph of my little son in there, and maybe one or two banknotes for buying coffee on the go.

12 hours ago, claude0001 said:

It closes fine and without effort. There is no strong tension on the small magnetic belt and it keeps the flap closed reliably.

However, the Pro1 being quite thick, it does not actually leave much space for many credit cards. I normally have only a photograph of my little son in there, and maybe one or two banknotes for buying coffee on the go.

I thought that was the case when looking at the pictures you posted so sounds like a better fit than the others I've seen

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, _DW_ said:

I thought that was the case when looking at the pictures you posted so sounds like a better fit than the others I've seen

Indeed, It is clearly a different type than the ones we usually see. Looks like real leather for one thing. Looking at the source there is also an attachment ring.
(do not be confused on the 30, the listing has multiple models)
BUT it could well be that the leather-part is the same, and only the grabbing shell part being different, that might explain the extra space.
s-l1600.jpg

@claude0001 What are the external dimensions with a Pro1 inside?
The primitive fake-'leather' ones I have been using are

• 156x79x21mm (83mm including the magnetic)

...BTW. Would be nice if some law required the sellers to call this so called "PUke-leather" for what it is: Plastic

15 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

What are the external dimensions with a Pro1 inside?
The primitive fake-'leather' ones I have been using are

• 156x79x21mm (83mm including the magnetic)

...BTW. Would be nice if some law required the sellers to call this so called "PUke-leather" for what it is: Plastic

It is significantly thicker than that.

With the Pro1 inside (but no credit cards), I measure outer dimensions of approximately 158 x 79 x 26 mm³ at the thickest part of the flap, but not including the belt and magnetic button. Including the latter it is more like 158 x 79 x 32 mm³ so you better have large pockets. I prefer work trousers anyway ... :-)

The material is either truly leather (as claimed in the ebay shop) or a very good fake. The look-and-feel is certainly not "cheap" in any way. 

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, claude0001 said:

158 x 79 x 26 mm³

That is not bad at all !! :classic_cool: Considering that it is not just cheap plastic like mine.
And if we want reduced thickness, I bet cutting out the credit-card part along the edges would take about 3-4mm away, removing the multiple layered material
image.png.6e854a845a325a5f535587861a375328.png

Leaving it practically the same at the PUke leather ones ones.

I'm not a big fan of the long flap-magnet mechanism though, I think the side type mechanism is better leaving the whole thing slimmer (at the cost of a little width-protrusion)

image.png.5bf6a1cef16f37ab138f4a6d76c05cf4.png
Though obvoiously also easier to do with plastic...

On 3/11/2021 at 5:33 PM, _DW_ said:

I decided to order one and give it a try 🙂

I have had mine for more than half a year now and am quite happy with it. I hope you will be too.

There is one more modification I made: I figured the "stand" feature is useless with the Pro1, as the keyboard mechanism allows to incline the screen anyways (e.g. for watching movies or having video conferences), so I glued the soft shell to the leather cover over the full area of the back.

You may or may not choose to do this, but, for me, it made the case more useful in everyday life.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Asked one of those mall kiosks for phone cases to hook me up with some kind of pouch.

This one isn't real leather but it fits nice and snug, looks better and is quicker and easier to put inside and take out of compared to the stock felt pouch.

IMG_20210424_161404.jpg

Edited by Adrienspawn
  • Like 2

I just wanted to mention that a while go I ordered the Fitbag for the Pro1 on Amazon.  I then forgot about it because it does take a while to get to the US.  I got it when I finally managed to get Verizon working on my Pro1 and so thought I would use it on the car with Android auto so I wanted protection in the cupholder since all Android Auto needs is the USB port-- everything appears on the in-Dash display.  But I never solved the inability for BT to push the phone audio to the car microphone and speakers, so I went back to having a car phone and the Pro1 for everything else. 

So I no longer exactly need this Fitbag, but it is really nice if a pouch is useful to you.  It is of very high quality workmanship and well cushioned.  The Pro1 really fits perfectly and the inner lining has just enough drag to it that the Pro1 won't easily fall out if the sleeve is picked up upside down, but is nonetheless easy to remove with your fingers.  A very, very nice sleeve indeed!

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XKBNBB8

prawninpinstripes.jpg

• Like 1
On 4/25/2021 at 10:09 PM, Hook said:

I just wanted to mention that a while go I ordered the Fitbag for the Pro1 on Amazon.  I then forgot about it because it does take a while to get to the US.  I got it when I finally managed to get Verizon working on my Pro1 and so thought I would use it on the car with Android auto so I wanted protection in the cupholder since all Android Auto needs is the USB port-- everything appears on the in-Dash display.  But I never solved the inability for BT to push the phone audio to the car microphone and speakers, so I went back to having a car phone and the Pro1 for everything else. 

So I no longer exactly need this Fitbag, but it is really nice if a pouch is useful to you.  It is of very high quality workmanship and well cushioned.  The Pro1 really fits perfectly and the inner lining has just enough drag to it that the Pro1 won't easily fall out if the sleeve is picked up upside down, but is nonetheless easy to remove with your fingers.  A very, very nice sleeve indeed!

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XKBNBB8

prawninpinstripes.jpg

Looking for a case not a pouch.

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, JordanKirsch83 said:

Looking for a case not a pouch.

Ummm, okay. 😄 I thought I was just providing information, not pushing anything in particular to anyone in particular. 🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
On 3/13/2021 at 9:59 AM, ubuntuscofield said:

3D printed TPU case for Lineage and sailfish users

So it ain't working for Android? It must be using some ground breaking DRM system.

Edited by Slion
  • Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • phoebus2000 changed the title to Will Pro1 3D printer files for a case work with Pro1X?