New Forum Bug Reports & Suggestions

Limited editing will be an issue once the device is out and you get stuff like community megathreads where information and whatnot will be collected in the first post.
To be honest, in most places you have no editing limits and it's not an issue. With destructive edits being a rare occurrence.

And even then, from what I can tell, these forums have a feature to log all post edits complete with the content changes (default off I think), so even in the worst case there would not be an issue restoring the old content if necessary.

• Like 2
  • Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Beautiful as expected 🙂  

Hi everyone, We expect to find a few bugs with our new forum platform. Please let us know what your suggestions and reports are :). Important bugs we know of: 1. If you have a display n

I think I posted this before.  But I've never used another message board/forum where editing had a time limit.  Sure, if someone changes something, it may mess up the other messages, but so what?  ins

Posted Images

Ya, I'd like unlimited edit too.  I assumed we couldn't edit pre-migration posts due to something related to migration, not due to their being a limited edit window.   As someone said, mega posts that get pages and pages long, its nice to be able to update the first post with relevant details... like when people release roms or utils or apps etc for our phone...   I'm active on a few forums and never had one where I couldn't edit forever...

Edited by Craig
  • Like 2
12 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Yeah, and it is going to land on me... hence the hesitation from here *LOL*

But in principle: sure

Well my thinking is it'd only happen once in a blue moon, if at all. And it would be fairly easy to deal with in most cases, even a non-mod could simply place a post exposing their trickery.

Edited by netman
  • Like 1
22 minutes ago, netman said:

Well my thinking is it'd only happen once in a blue moon, if at all. <Tamper>And we all know the moon is yellow cheese not blue</Tamper>

...And we COULD rely on other users reporting it if/when the edits are misused.

But to really work it would require that the edit-history is visible to everyone, as it is on some sites.

And IF the quote function were tamper-free, So people could not be misquoted as I did above...

Often edits (even late ones) can be a really good thing if used constructively. Say to correct a typo or language that make things incomprehensible or even easily misunderstood.

I remember I have seen a site were previous text was shown as strike-out. This works fine for single edits, but not for multiple edits, say I find out I made three typos in the same comment, but find out and edit one by one.... that becomes a mess to read, cluttering up the thread...

ADD: Optimally with a moderator option of revoking a user the edit ability if misused, as a step before banning. And edits could be something fresh users are only allowed to do in a short period (like now).

12 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

But to really work it would require that the edit-history is visible to everyone, as it is on some sites.

That would be a really nice feature, but misuse is only effective if people actually reply, in which case people have also usually read what they are replying to. Of course you could subtly implant memories in peoples mind but that tends to only work if it's not far from the reality which sortof limits the potential for abuse other than by the extremely wicked antagonists who will find a way to play their tricks in any case.

17 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Also as a moderator I will inadvertently edit your messages to say things that you never meant to say (this isn't really eskerahn, netman edited it).

I think that feature has much more potential for abuse, but I suspect it's necessary to be able to quote people properly. If you indeed can edit peoples messages as a moderator though, that can serve to fix abuse of the edit function already I think, to me it seems more important to place a notice that the post was altered with apparent malicious intent than to put it back the exact original.

The only abuse I've seen so far is spam really, I would imagine the amount of people posting with bad intent is small and the amount that is smart enough to use the edit and quote features for that even much smaller... I don't know it for certain though, and I have no idea how things looked while approval was still needed, but this draws also from seeing what goes on in other forums with way less moderation.

• Like 1

Am I the only one who miss the ability to see what are the unseen messages in a topic?

I don't like reading forum topics when I don't know what was the last message I read in that topic, so every time I have to search at least for messages written in the same day.

Also, Activity may be a good thing, but it don't help in the problem above.
Old forum had marked these unseen messages anyway, but I could not find it in the new forum yet.

Edit: "Community" reputation has also zeroed as I see.

Edited by VaZso
  • Like 2
16 minutes ago, VaZso said:

Am I the only one who miss the ability to see what are the unseen messages in a topic?

I don't like reading forum topics when I don't know what was the last message I read in that topic, so every time I have to search at least for messages written in the same day.

Also, Activity may be a good thing, but it don't help in the problem above.
Old forum had marked these unseen messages anyway, but I could not find it in the new forum yet.

Edit: "Community" reputation has also zeroed as I see.

There is a blueish bar separating the new and the old, e.g.:

Capture.PNG

ADD: And yes, it is a known bug that the "Thanks" have been reset. They are looking into if they can be transferred somehow.

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

There is a blueish bar separating the new and the old, e.g.:

ADD: And yes, it is a known bug that the "Thanks" have been reset. They are looking into if they can be transferred somehow.

Thank you your reply.

I see this blue line above your answer, but this was the first time I saw it.
In older threads, I see messages written today or yesterday, I know I read older messages, but blue line was not there.
Maybe it will be there when I open those threads again later, but it seems I have to open all threads once to begin this sign to work...

4 minutes ago, VaZso said:

Thank you your reply.

I see this blue line above your answer, but this was the first time I saw it.
In older threads, I see messages written today or yesterday, I know I read older messages, but blue line was not there.
Maybe it will be there when I open those threads again later, but it seems I have to open all threads once to begin this sign to work...

Top right in the overview you can mark everything as read.

Capture.PNG.a7c9d12773f6938967c99b9d41809623.PNG

If you were not 'up to date' before the change to the new forum, you can not easily see what you had not read in the old.

You would have to look in the top threads, until your are sure it is older than last you read.

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Top right in the overview you can mark everything as read.

If you were not 'up to date' before the change to the new forum, you can not easily see what you had not read in the old.

You would have to look in the top threads, until your are sure it is older than last you read.

Thank you, I haven't noticed that.

Anyway, I was up-to-date in the old forum, maybe 1 day away because of travel.
When the new forum has appeared, I have looked it but did not see which are the new messages (but bold topic names) and I was feel later I may have more time to find out what to do (so I have not really read the forum in the last few days because I did not want to miss new messages).

Today is weekend, so I has started to look it deeper. I have found some topics with new messages without mark and many more (every other) with bold topic name but read messages (which were read in the old forum software). The "Mark site read" seems to be the solution made for that.

Thanks.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Wasmachineman_NL said:

@topic: images are broken.

I have not had issues with images, however I do recall a statement that some images from the posts before the migration might be broken. Edit: it was the starting post of this topic mentioning "Previous uploads and images might be broken. The tags for image insert were changed." which i recalled. I guess we'll have to live with that.

ezgif-5-f6e2dafcdd64.gif.2d1ecb1f7a57c4e53ab6a4f6ae3168c7.gif

Edited by netman
2 minutes ago, dreamflasher said:

On mobile the "go to topic listing" below the thread performs "quote" instead of going to the topic listing.

Not on my mobile using FireFox. Works as labeled.

55 minutes ago, Parhelion said:

Just a proposal for discussion: D'you think a part of the forum only accessible for registered users for some conversation not visible to the whole Internet might be useful?

Interesting idea but I honestly can't see a reason to make certain threads non-visible to everyone.

The only reason for that in my opinion would be for an off-topic area, as those kind of results don't need to come up in google, etc, or be visible to people browsing for info w/o logging in.    (I'm not suggesting we need an off-topic area, just saying that in my opinion would be an area worth restricting to logged in users, if it existed.)

On another topic, I noticed we don't have a 'post preview' or anything like that, just submit.  I've found that a useful feature when I remember to use it.

Also I couldn't find any way to hide online status, am I missing it?

Edited by Craig

It would be good if I click on the name of a topic, then it would not take me to the first page of that topic, but to the page including the first unseen message (so the page which has the blue line indicating new messages).

...or at least to show at least one page before the last one so if I remember I was at page 9 last time and now the topic has 10 pages, then I could continue reading the 9th page and I may see the blue line at one of the latest messages on that page.

• Erik unpinned this topic