• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So essentially the phone marketplace is a tin horn dictatorship? 😮 Get ready for Liberty, foul fiends of conformity! 😛

I never was without physical keys and thanks to F(x)tec I can keep that tradition 😊 It started in 1998.....   Philips Savvy (best SMS sound ever) ->  Nokia 3210 (bumblebee ringtone ❤

Nokia N900 - two times - from which the second one broke. currently i am still using my first N900 which is also my first mobile phone i ever bought, nearly 10y ago...  

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, silversolver said:

Sure, if you're in an iJail and can't do anything without the iWarden's permission, your security is going to be pretty good. Liberty is messy, but my forefathers chose it (I'm American) and I choose it too, when I vote politically, and vote with my dollars. I voted the most money I ever voted in my life on a phone for the P1, and I expect it will be worth very penny. I might actually get a few more just to have spares. This is the best thing ever, really.....a phone which is open, rootable, customizable, has a fabulous keyboard, and is built to last forever. I can hardly wait!

Well I sure as hell am also voting my dollars to the Pro1, still seems too good to be true yet it most certainly is :). I find it very confusing even that there is not much more demand for a keyboard on a phone, we have so much computing power in those mobile devices but it's barely convenient enough to even send a text message... But I can understand people who don't really care to have portable computing and mostly want phone calls and no hassle would get the iThings and be plenty happy.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, netman said:

Well I sure as hell am also voting my dollars to the Pro1, still seems too good to be true yet it most certainly is :). I find it very confusing even that there is not much more demand for a keyboard on a phone, we have so much computing power in those mobile devices but it's barely convenient enough to even send a text message... But I can understand people who don't really care to have portable computing and mostly want phone calls and no hassle would get the iThings and be plenty happy.

iThings? HAHAHAHAHAHA! I've been using that for many years. Great minds think alike. :) Some people only want to be able to place a call and play fruit ninja. For them iThings are fine. I demand more. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, silversolver said:

iThings? HAHAHAHAHAHA! I've been using that for many years. Great minds think alike. 🙂 Some people only want to be able to place a call and play fruit ninja. For them iThings are fine. I demand more. 🙂

Me too! I wanna be able to shitpost the forum like this from my phone :D. And SSH into my computer, and edit code, and chat to people, and search the web, and take notes, and make photos with an actual 2 stage shutter button, and play emulator games, and write emails... It is gonna be so awesome 🙂!

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, netman said:

Me too! I wanna be able to shitpost the forum like this from my phone :D. And SSH into my computer, and edit code, and chat to people, and search the web, and take notes, and make photos with an actual 2 stage shutter button, and play emulator games, and write emails... It is gonna be so awesome 🙂!

LOL....truth be told, my Droid 4 can do all of that, but it's just feeling so reluctant these days....I've dragged it kicking and screaming into 2019 with a custom ROM from LineageOS, but am definitely looking forward to my Pro1.

Also, for reasons I don't fully understand, I got the PRIV back out, and am using it to post this......I remember why I put it away LOL. It's better equipped, but less usable. I just don't like portrait.

• Like 1

FIrst one was the Alcatel Pocketline Flash, I remember being so proud of this phone haha :

m1fyaekw342e.jpg.949bb953fece908ddb1266a20e7e9ea5.jpg

Then I got the Nokia 3310 (GAAMEESS YEAAHHH) - Samsung X550 (I think) to flippety-flap with - Sony Ericsson W580 - HTC Desire Z (I REALLY wanted another qwerty after that but there weren't any other models in place of it) - Samsung Note 2 - Sony Xperia Z2, this one broke so I switched to an iPhone 5 out of neccesity which was horrible - and now I have the Sony Xperia XZ, awaiting the Pro1 

• Like 1

Ericsson EH237 (ETACS Analogue)
Siemens S6 (DCS1800) --> Siemens S10 --> Siemens S25 --> Siemens C25 --> Siemens C26 --> Siemens S55
Nokia 8110 --> Nokia 8210
Palm Treo 600 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Treo 680
Benefon ESC (First phone with a GPS!)
HTC Tytn II (Utter PoS -threw it at a wall)
Nokia N900 --> Jolla 1 --> Jolla C --> XperiaX (SFOS) --> Gemini (SFOS)(Briefly!)

That turned into quite a long list, and I may have forgotten one or two along the way. I've usually had 2 phones on the go at any one time.

All the Siemens phones except the S55 were prototypes or preproduction units - I was part of the hardware design team. I still have all of them.

N900 was the longest serving by a huge margin, and the only one for which I bought an identical spare 'just in case'.

• Like 2

Sagem MW3026 -> (maybe) Sagem myX-5 -> Siemens SX1 -> Nokia 9300i (got it used) -> Nokia E90 (got it used) -> Sony Ericsson Xperia pro -> Photon Q (got it used, SIM mod, Backlight voltage regulator died) -> Oppo Find 7 -> Blackberry DevAlphaC (Q10) -> Moto Z (got it used, battery died)  -> Oppo Find 7 -> Pro 1 (soon)

Edited by kontakt
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, epninety said:

Ericsson EH237 (ETACS Analogue)
Siemens S6 (DCS1800) --> Siemens S10 --> Siemens S25 --> Siemens C25 --> Siemens C26 --> Siemens S55
Nokia 8110 --> Nokia 8210
Palm Treo 600 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Treo 680
Benefon ESC (First phone with a GPS!)
HTC Tytn II (Utter PoS -threw it at a wall)
Nokia N900 --> Jolla 1 --> Jolla C --> XperiaX (SFOS) --> Gemini (SFOS)(Briefly!)

That turned into quite a long list, and I may have forgotten one or two along the way. I've usually had 2 phones on the go at any one time.

All the Siemens phones except the S55 were prototypes or preproduction units - I was part of the hardware design team. I still have all of them.

N900 was the longest serving by a huge margin, and the only one for which I bought an identical spare 'just in case'.

Siemens FTW! I still have a few Mseries phones laying around in a box. I also have a SXG75 that still works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alcatel... something -> Nokia 3510i -> Nokia 3100 -> Philips something (don't remember) ->Palm Treo 600 + Nokia 6610 -> Nokia 6610 (Palm died, Nokia still in mu drawer, everything works except for the mic) -> HTC Wizard aka SPV M3000 (flex died) -> HTC Raphael aka Touch Pro 2 -> Motorola RAZR -> BlackBerry Q5 -> Samsung Galaxy S3 -> BlackBerry Priv -> Samsung Galaxy S7 (present) -> FxTec Pro1 (hopefully soon) -> ???

@oh, there was also Toshiba G900 between HTC Wizard and Raphael, but I has it just for a few weeks since the software was killing me.

Edited by anonim001
  • Like 1

I've always worked in places where you needed to get a shell terminal for all work including email.  Join the BBC Jan 1998 get my phone number and work provided phones:

Nokia 5110 (original Mars bar phone), Nokia9000 (telnet/FTP/web 9600 8n1 serial support all for on-call support), 9110 (amazing form factor compared to the 9000), 9210 (colour symbian felt like a step back from the 9110), 9500 (camera, Wi-Fi, significantly better than the 9210), 9300i (significantly smaller than the 9500, but no camera & not as good battery life, but overall an amazing phone), E90 (or consumer/lame, version of symbian, bulky form factor ,good camera, video calling, many games and apps).  ~2007

Leave BBC join Google, I start paying for phones myself.  They provide phones as gifts each Christmas but they rarely come with a keyboard.  I've not listed them here as I didn't use them although the G1 did include a keyboard, it wasn't as good as what I had.

n97 (tiny beautiful flip out keyboard form factor, great camera, I provided patches to s2putty to make it really good, touch screen - albeit shity resistive), n900 (proper Linux!!), n950 (the most dreamy phone I've ever owned!  Sadly I found I eventually need more apps and craved the Android ecosystem), galaxy s relay (ugly, slow, poor battery - huge opportunity of apps, acceptable SSH experience), pixel 1 with BT slide out keyboard superglued to the case.  Pre-ordered Pro1

• Like 2
14 hours ago, silversolver said:

I went back to my very first one in 2003. We're all friends here. Reveal your deep dark technology secrets LOL.

Unrelatedly, I'm seeing no crApple products so far. We're all too savvy to buy their junk, apparently. 😛

Lmfao, well I had like the chunky Nokia, a flip phone Kyocera, LG Rumor (keyboard), LG Tritan (keyboard), Blackberry Tour, Samsun Galaxy 3, Iphone 6&7....hmm I feel like there’s more but that’s all I can remember right now.  I can not WAIT for Pro1! Never had a smart phone with a keyboard. 

I don’t understand why there isn’t  more selection with phones these days! They are all just full touch screen phones, it’s weird. It’s like they give the illusion of choice but the phones nowadays are all the same. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

It seems that there are a few people here who bought a Moto Z variant just because of the keyboard mod 🙂

I was very close a few times, but decided to stay pessimistic and await having the Moto Mod in my hands. I'm glad today that I was.

I bet we IGG backers were among the only ones that wanted to buy a phone for a Mod, and not a Mod for a phone.... 😇

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, EskeRahn said:

I was very close a few times, but decided to stay pessimistic and await having the Moto Mod in my hands. I'm glad today that I was.

I bet we IGG backers were among the only ones that wanted to buy a phone for a Mod, and not a Mod for a phone.... 😇

I needed a new phone at the time when I saw the keyboard mod and my mobile carrier gave the Moto Z + JBL mod bundle at a discount so I bought one, hoping the keyboard mod would be available in a few months but that time never came.

36 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Exactly. I wanted to buy a phone for a Mod once it is in my hands. However, I was sometimes very close to buy one especially when they finally were close to ship the first Mods.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Wasmachineman_NL said:

Siemens FTW! I still have a few Mseries phones laying around in a box. I also have a SXG75 that still works.

I remember a program manager at Siemens explaining in a meeting that the model numbering followed the Mercedes model, so there were C-class, M-class and S-class models. I asked if we should make an A class model with a rounded base so it would keep falling over - but it didn't get a laugh. (This was at the time of the gutter press trying to whip up a storm about the new A-Class Merc failing the 'elk avoidance' swerve test.

Then at some later point, the A class phones appeared - with very rounded base :classic_ninja:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My history looks like this

Motorola GSM candy bar thing (you could use AA batteries in an emergency)
Motorola StarTac
Sony Ericsson P800
Nokia 9500 (my favourite)
Htc TyTn
Htc Touch (the one with just a phone keypad)
Nokia N900
Nexus S
Nexus 4
Lumia 520
Lumia 640
Nokia 5.1 plus (emergency buy as the Lumia died before fxtec could ship)

Think thats all of them although I can't feeling I've missed one or two (probably an XDA and an Android)

Edited by peter
added keypad style
  • Like 1