Jump to content

On the pre-production status


Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, Erik said:

Just had a response from Liangchen on the little confusion with the free cases.

Yes, everyone (with a pre-order) will receive a free sleeve, but only people before the 24th of June will have a free set of headphones (+ the sleeve).

So pretty much something I can buy at my local supermarket, but with a Fxtec logo on it? I'll be honest with you: I'm not sure I want to bother going back to the post office to get it, please make it optional.

I mean, come on, at this point you clearly have to see how much you keep backpedaling and we keep finding out stuff that you clearly have known for a while and definitely should have told us. I don't mind setbacks, but I mind dishonesty very much. Any more of these? Are the batteries still removable? Is the bootloader still unlocked?

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just had to create an account to chime in as a voice of reason here, because there is some seriously toxic entitlement going on in this thread. I, as I'm sure pretty much everyone else who actu

Thanks for pointing out before the mass panic :). Corrected to January as it was meant.

Some pages ago during December I requested a refund for preorder, and decided to wait till FxTec could actually deliver. Everything has been processed in a friendly and timely manner :-). What I can a

Posted Images

Well sleeve is not a good option. so each time you get a call you will have to take it out of sleeve first.

without case, apart from scratches (which is not good idea) there is another issue that i have seen on E7 and since pro1 has very similar design it will prolly have too.

the issue without cover is that after sliding phone in your pocket in and out for sometimes the glass top on the camera section will come off. its because the glass piece is flat on the surface.

it happened to my E7 many times

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the idea of a sleeve better than a case to be honest ūüôā. I wondered before how in the world they could make a case that properly protects the phone, figured there would just be a case for the bottom half that I'd end up not using. That said it's good that this is told, I almost bought a sleeve already (on amazon there exists 1 for pro1 already).

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, kashif said:

the issue without cover is that after sliding phone in your pocket in and out for sometimes the glass top on the camera section will come off. its because the glass piece is flat on the surface.

it happened to my E7 many times

The camera is NOT protruding on this one, so should not be an issue ūüôā

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

People have to realize that a clunky case ‚ÄĒ and they said it was altering the mechanism ‚ÄĒ wouldn't make anyone happy either. The potential shitstorm on social medias could even be worse if cases are carefully manufactured but make the phone hard¬†to use.¬†Sometimes, sticking to the initial plan when first trials show that it just won't work is¬†beyond reason, even if deciding to alter plans is tough.

I trust F(x)tec and believe small companies with low inertia know how to do what is best given the constraints. F(x)tec already demonstrated their attention to details and priorities when designing the phone, the keyboard, the sliding hinge, and doing everything they could to make a true hardware keyboard phone, not yet another phone with a gimmick keyboard like bluetooth keyboards are. And they were proud enough of their product that they put sweat into organizing events to reach to just a few individuals in the community.

Maybe they could have communicated earlier and better, though I remember Liangchen mentioning on Twitter that he was not satisfied with the first iteration of the case. It is true that the sleeve decision was not clear until now. Well, now it is. Knowing earlier would have been nice, but would it have changed much for pre-orderers since all pre-orders were placed before knowing anything about the cases? We don't even know what would have been the price of separate cases, maybe we're talking about 10 USD for a cheap plastic plate collecting dust on everyone's shelf. I don't think anyone really serious about the absolute necessity of a case would buy one without seeing it first, as we all know the quality and usability of cases can vary greatly from one brand to another, and from one phone to another.

I'm happy with a sleeve. What matters to me is that the part that cost 667‚ā¨ in my order, hence 100% of what I was asked to pay, is carefully designed. And reviews show it is.

Edited by matf
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Raksura said:

So pretty much something I can buy at my local supermarket, but with a Fxtec logo on it? I'll be honest with you: I'm not sure I want to bother going back to the post office to get it, please make it optional.

I mean, come on, at this point you clearly have to see how much you keep backpedaling and we keep finding out stuff that you clearly have known for a while and definitely should have told us. I don't mind setbacks, but I mind dishonesty very much. Any more of these? Are the batteries still removable? Is the bootloader still unlocked?

Feel much the same way. I do not care for a sleeve, that anyone can make in two minutes with a sewing machine and an old rag...

Now we are left with the feeble option of producing and applying a protective film to handle scratches only. No real protection...

They have talked of this protective case for very very long. So they have had amble opportunity to adjust the prototypes to secure a decent grip of the case without blocking the mechanism.

ADD: At the very least they could offer us the alternative of a couple of pre-cut self adhesive films, we can apply  our self. These vil clearly be very cheap to produce, and cheap in postage too, as they can be sent in a plain envelope.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Feel much the same way. I do not care for a sleeve, that anyone can make in two minutes with a sewing machine and an old rag...

Now we are left with the feeble option of producing and applying a protective film to handle scratches only. No real protection...

They have talked of this protective case for very very long. So they have had amble opportunity to adjust the prototypes to secure a decent grip of the case without blocking the mechanism.

secon that, thank you!
You have (had?) a pro1 for a long time, do you think something hard protecting the back and a bit of the edges likte the e7 case may work ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, matf said:

People have to realize that a clunky case ‚ÄĒ and they said it was altering the mechanism ‚ÄĒ wouldn't make anyone happy either. The potential shitstorm on social medias could even be worse if cases are carefully manufactured but make the phone hard¬†to use.¬†Sometimes, sticking to the initial plan when first trials show that it just won't work is¬†beyond reason, even if deciding to alter plans is tough.

See, my main issue with this phone so far was the curved screen. Not only can you see that it leads to ugly light reflections in every single photo we've seen of the device, but it also means that the screen is going to be very fragile. Nearly everyone I know with a screen this size has cracks on it. I don't have this problem at the moment, my six years old Q10 falls regularly and doesn't have a single one.

Now, I wasn't too worried: they clearly thought this through by ensuring that a protection case would exist, as they themselves would make it. It was even their reply to that criticism (in addition to "it makes it easier to reach the top buttons). Thing is, the "it's altering the mechanism" excuse falls flat there: the design of the mechanism and the design of the protection are not done by separate entities, they could (and should have) definitely ensure that one works with the other. There are ways to protect curved screens (one was show earlier in this very thread), but there's extremely little chance of a third party making one for a niche device.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mcdinner said:

secon that, thank you!
You have (had?) a pro1 for a long time, do you think something hard protecting the back and a bit of the edges likte the e7 case may work ?

E7 has a bit different design where it has edges on top and bottom not part of the slkiding screen and thats where all the covers hold the grip

in the case of pro1 the whole top is the screen so im not sure how the case will work

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mcdinner said:

You have (had?) a pro1 for a long time, do you think something hard protecting the back and a bit of the edges likte the e7 case may work ?

I was curious to see how the case would grip, but optimistically assumed they found a solution for that...

If you see the profile it is 'conical' in both directions, with only a really small space left for anything to grip. So I'm by no mean saying that it is straight forward.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Erik said:

Therefore, there will be no plastic hard cases, but a sleeve to hold the device in instead

Aww ūüėĘ no hard case is a bummer, anyone can make a sleeve, but it was because it would be difficult to make a hard case that it had to be made by the device make... Without hard case and with how hard it is to find curved glass screen protector, the phone won't last long in my hand ...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well i dont understand one thing. you guys worried about the screen in case it drops.

but since pro1 who body is made of plastic so i dont think its a good idea to think about dropping it. because apart from screen it can also crack the plastic body.

EskeRhn can shed some light on how tough the plastic body is?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kashif said:

Well i dont understand one thing. you guys worried about the screen in case it drops.

but since pro1 who body is made of plastic so i dont think its a good idea to think about dropping it. because apart from screen it can also crack the plastic body.

EskeRhn can shed some light on how tough the plastic body is?

It is metal, not plastic, so hardly likely to crack easiiy

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Raksura said:

See, my main issue with this phone so far was the curved screen. Not only can you see that it leads to ugly light reflections in every single photo we've seen of the device, but it also means that the screen is going to be very fragile. Nearly everyone I know with a screen this size has cracks on it. I don't have this problem at the moment, my six years old Q10 falls regularly and doesn't have a single one.

Now, I wasn't too worried: they clearly thought this through by ensuring that a protection case would exist, as they themselves would make it. It was even their reply to that criticism (in addition to "it makes it easier to reach the top buttons). Thing is, the "it's altering the mechanism" excuse falls flat there: the design of the mechanism and the design of the protection are not done by separate entities, they could (and should have) definitely ensure that one works with the other. There are ways to protect curved screens (one was show earlier in this very thread), but there's extremely little chance of a third party making one for a niche device.

I understand your concerns and the frustration any change of plans on the case may cause. I do realize that the case, be it free or not, was a very important asset in the bundle that made some people commit to payment. However, I am afraid that those who did so because a case would be included were a little light when taking this decision, given that they knew nothing about the case, its thickness, whether it would protect both sides, and what are the real solutions for phones without bezels. And compromising the phone design to make it work better with a case would not necessarily be a good move for other customers.

For those people who consider they cannot use the phone without a proper hard case, I believe pre-ordering was a bad idea. If they pre-ordered, then they did so knowing there might be surprises when the hard case is revealed, maybe bad ones compared to their expectations, and that can be an issue if the case was the one thing that made their decision in the first place.

Edited by matf
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kashif said:

Well i dont understand one thing. you guys worried about the screen in case it drops.

but since pro1 who body is made of plastic so i dont think its a good idea to think about dropping it. because apart from screen it can also crack the plastic body.

EskeRhn can shed some light on how tough the plastic body is?

Thats why I want a hard/semi hard case for the bottom/back part. 
With this curved screen sh** there is no real way to protect it, but at least the back could be saved and the fall could be somhow dampened by it.
Now it will drop, the bottom case cracks and worst case kills the sliding mechanism.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, kashif said:

Well i dont understand one thing. you guys worried about the screen in case it drops.

but since pro1 who body is made of plastic so i dont think its a good idea to think about dropping it. because apart from screen it can also crack the plastic body.

EskeRhn can shed some light on how tough the plastic body is?

If it was all plastic we wouldn't be here and wouldn't have paid 650‚ā¨ for a plastic phone. I have N950 and if Pro1 has the same build quality - it's going to last for decades.

Edited by theo.hallenius
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have dropped as well the "Preproduction Unit" a few times as the "Final Sample" once, though not from high heights, and luckily not on very hard surfaces, the hardest a vinyl covered concrete floor from about 1m (pocket height) - no visible damages to either

  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, kashif said:

Well i dont understand one thing. you guys worried about the screen in case it drops.

but since pro1 who body is made of plastic so i dont think its a good idea to think about dropping it. because apart from screen it can also crack the plastic body.

EskeRhn can shed some light on how tough the plastic body is?

I think there is not alot of plastic at all. The frame, Hinge and back cover are metal-ish. And the mid frame where the pcb is held is a mixture of metal and plastic too.

 

/edit: too slow. the community is on fire.

Edited by Noir
new replies after post sent
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, theo.hallenius said:

If it was all plastic we wouldn't be here and wouldn't have paid 650‚ā¨ for a plastic phone. I have N950 and if Pro1 has the same build quality - it's going to last for decades.

How can it last for decades?!

even if we assume we keep it in a glass case and never drop of damage it, even then in todays world the technology for both hardware and software/os changes so rapidly that after 3 to 4 years it will be an obsolete technology and wont keep up with all the new tech.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

I have dropped as well the "Preproduction Unit" a few times as the "Final Sample" once, though not from high heights, and luckily not on very hard surfaces, the hardest a vinyl covered concrete floor from about 1m (pocket height) - no visible damages to either

well that sound like its not that fragile then.

but i tell you what I WILL NOT DROP IT!

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kashif said:

even if we assume we keep it in a glass case and never drop of damage it, even then in todays world the technology for both hardware and software/os changes so rapidly that after 3 to 4 years it will be an obsolete technology and wont keep up with all the new tech.

Many in here are using phones much older than 3-4 years in anticipation of this return of a real  keyboard slider.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kashif said:

well that sound like its not that fragile then.

but i tell you what I WILL NOT DROP IT!

...Trust me, my heart skipped a few beats when I did... It was certainly not a willingly executed drop test

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • EskeRahn pinned and featured this topic
  • EskeRahn unpinned and unfeatured this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms