On the pre-production status

4 minutes ago, is said:

wow, you are probably a god then. software development without missing deadlines? really? 🙂

Read that reply further, he only gives estimates when there are no big risks and even then he adds extra buffer for problems along the way.

This works great when your clients accept that but not every project is like that.

Edited by AnnieC
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just had to create an account to chime in as a voice of reason here, because there is some seriously toxic entitlement going on in this thread. I, as I'm sure pretty much everyone else who actu

Thanks for pointing out before the mass panic :). Corrected to January as it was meant.

Some pages ago during December I requested a refund for preorder, and decided to wait till FxTec could actually deliver. Everything has been processed in a friendly and timely manner :-). What I can a

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, kashif said:

Yes thats a different story if you have to depend on third party.

i can imagine it can get out of our hands

They depend completely on 3rd parties.
It even starts to get more difficult if you have to guess for other developers, or work with their guesses.

Also there is not always the possibility to add a big reserve, sometimes you got told to not overestimate it, because getting this project could lead to further more lucrative projects. Guessing is insanely hard if your error margin is gone!

Often someone also need to guess stuff he have no idea of and can't spend a week researching that stuff, someone needs to use experience and guts.
Managing situations like that is what makes good project management. Everybody can do it if he has all information to start with!

Edited by Doktor Oswaldo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, is said:

wow, you are probably a god then. software development without missing deadlines? really? 🙂

Well you can, if you have a trust relation with your customer, and they accept that you do it as fast as you can, without an actual deadline making sense. I have had many of those.
I usually say to potential customers, that if they fear I would try to trick them, then they should immediately go somewhere else, and find one they do not fear will. As ANY software producer could easily trick them. That is why I -less a few projects- always work by the hour. It is just like say car mechanics, If you do not know anything about cars, and put it up for repairs, you better do it at a repair shop you trust...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is for sure, but saying you never had to increase a deadline? 

Even with all of the over-estimations, if you're estimating a year-long project for several people you might/will miss to some extent. I honestly have seen more missed deadlines than otherwise. Most of the time you get at least something, but end result is very rarely coming in the day of the estimate. Maybe it's just me.

And with software you can just patch it, with hardware not so much.

But I feel like I started yet another wave of off-topic here, sorry about that.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Well you can, if you have a trust relation with your customer, and they accept that you do it as fast as you can, without an actual deadline making sense. I have had many of those.
I usually say to potential customers, that if they fear I would try to trick them, then they should immediately go somewhere else, and find one the do not fear will. As ANY software producer could easily trick them. That is why I -less a few projects- always work by the hour. It is just like say car mechanics, If you do not know anything about cars, and put it up for repairs, you better do it a a repair shop you trust...

I do the similar

only work for clients where there is common trust (i have many though).

and do not accept to take projects where clients are in rush and believe i have a magic stick to make impossible possible.

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, epninety said:

I can't recall one situation in all that time where making half promises to the customer and failing to meet it has ended well.

Which really speaks more about their communication (ie. lack of proactive communication following delays and issues) more than anything and this has been criticised to death already (including my own constructive criticism). The whole situation really isn't that bad if you take a step back, but because we've had numerous small let downs and confusions instead of just a couple of major ones it feels worse.

It's still happening 🙂

Sidenote: Apparently we all work in software. 🤣

Edited by Serolfic
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

sorry mate, did not want to offend you, that was not my intention, I just wanted to point out that miscalculations in deadlines are a normal situation in just about anything be that software, hardware, renovation, bridge building or anything else, new stuff comes in and adjustments have to be made, sometimes to budget, sometimes to deadlines, sometimes both, that is life, at least from my experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Just now, Serolfic said:

Which really speaks more about their communication (ie. lack of proactive communication following delays and issues) more than anything and this has been criticised to death already (including my own constructive criticism). The whole situation really isn't that bad if you take a step back, but because we've had numerous small let downs and confusions instead of just a couple of major times it feels worse.

It's still happening 🙂

Eske works in Databases not software, I bet he says that is something completely different 😄

• Haha 2
8 minutes ago, is said:

But I feel like I started yet another wave of off-topic here, sorry about that.

Yes you did, as before we were having a jolly time talking about the weather! 🤣

So back to that, I moved to the UK in March early this year (from NZ) and so it's my first winter in ages! Somewhat refreshing, but my god I'm not used to this anymore. Also it's my first time experiencing these 4pm sunsets -- It's super weird.

• Haha 3
Just now, Serolfic said:

So back to that, I moved to the UK in March early this year (from NZ) and so it's my first winter in ages! Somewhat refreshing, but my god I'm not used to this anymore. Also it's my first time experiencing these 4pm sunsets -- It's super weird.

Oh I bet you had a hard time after the roses kicked the all blacks out of the competition 😄

2 minutes ago, Doktor Oswaldo said:

Oh I bet you had a hard time after the roses kicked the all blacks out of the competition 😄

That was not good, but tbh I hope it teaches a lesson to the ABs. Their playing was shocking.

The real heartbreak was the cricket. I'm very happy England got their first win in a long time, but the Black Caps have gotten so close so many times and that was the worst way it could have gone. 😭

• Sad 2
13 minutes ago, Serolfic said:

Which really speaks more about their communication (ie. lack of proactive communication following delays and issues) more than anything and this has been criticised to death already (including my own constructive criticism). The whole situation really isn't that bad if you take a step back, but because we've had numerous small let downs and confusions instead of just a couple of major ones it feels worse.

It's still happening 🙂

I don't work in software 🤣
I'm just a fan of HW keyboards. As much as I am a fan of physical buttons in the dashboard of my cars (the more buttons the better! hehe. I just despise the "Tesla" way of programming a car's "interface").
Of the 10+ smartphones I've had since the dark old days of Windows Mobile, the ones that made me the most satisfied were the HWKB ones. HTC Tytn, HTC Touch Pro (silly name for a HWKB device!), the original Droid (I had 2 - actually Motorola Milestones as they were GSM) and now the Priv.

Come to think of it, I have fun playing with coding. But I really suck at it so no, it doesn't count. haha.

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, Serolfic said:

Oh man.... why oh WHY did you move from the Best Place on Earth™️ to cold old UK?

Don't get me wrong, the UK is nice, but nothing beats my beloved Aotearoa. I am Brazilian but could have been born and bred in NZ. I just love that country to my bones. Especially the South Island -- lived in Christchurch for a year a looong time ago.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, is said:

And with software you can just patch it, with hardware not so much.

Maybe - on hardware, they may be called workarounds. 🙂
Like working with an SPI sensor which does not release MISO line when CS pin goes high (although datasheet says it does) but has another operation mode when it releases it. So there is a workaround possibility to switch operational modes before and after using that sensor.

Another case, same (big) manufacturer, another SPI device, same problem but written in data sheet (in a separate place at interface documentation), however, without any possible workarounds at all.
...had to redesign the circuit and it went to I2C.

...anyway, I am sure these incorrect behaviours above caused by a mistake, but left there... by a big hardware company.

Another one - 0805 SMD LED diodes have sign at wrong direction. Contacted manufacturer and they have modified... the data sheet. 🙂

Edited by VaZso
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4
Just now, kashif said:

Hmmm ive been to Brazil recently

Since we are already wildly off topic - what did you think of it? Mind you, I'm from south Brazil where everything is quite different from "standard Brazil" (or the classical image of Brazil that is known worldwide).

2 minutes ago, agent008 said:

Oh man.... why oh WHY did you move from the Best Place on Earth™️ to cold old UK?

Don't get me wrong, the UK is nice, but nothing beats my beloved Aotearoa. I am Brazilian but could have been born and bred in NZ. I just love that country to my bones. Especially the South Island -- lived in Christchurch for a year a looong time ago.

Mate you don't have to tell me, I was born and bred in Christchurch! As a city, it's not as good as the others but you're only a couple hours drive from some amazing scenery.

But if you lived there presumably you know how common it is for kiwis to move up to the UK tenporarily. Easy visa process, easy travel to Europe, proper city life.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
Just now, Serolfic said:

Mate you don't have to tell me, I was born and bred in Christchurch! As a city, it's not as good as the others but you're only a couple hours drive from some amazing scenery.

But if you lived there presumably you know how common it is for kiwis to move up to the UK tenporarily. Easy visa process, easy travel to Europe, proper city life.

I understand you. In fact many of my old High School friends did the same.
Chch is already plenty big for me (my city in Brazil is just 33.000 strong). I went back there last year -- 17 years after the first time and it was a shock. Even though I saw all the news, seeing such an empty CBD / downtown brought me to tears, as if I felt the horror of the quake days.

All the best to you in your UK venture!

4 minutes ago, agent008 said:

Since we are already wildly off topic - what did you think of it? Mind you, I'm from south Brazil where everything is quite different from "standard Brazil" (or the classical image of Brazil that is known worldwide).

Pretty good, i reallky liked Rio, nice people and unique atmosphere. food was intresting too

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, agent008 said:

I understand you. In fact many of my old High School friends did the same.
Chch is already plenty big for me (my city in Brazil is just 33.000 strong). I went back there last year -- 17 years after the first time and it was a shock. Even though I saw all the news, seeing such an empty CBD / downtown brought me to tears, as if I felt the horror of the quake days.

All the best to you in your UK venture!

It's getting better. We hear that every year but no really, it's getting better. The building has really ramped up to the point that I'm excited for when I go back to see the changes.

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, Doktor Oswaldo said:

Eske works in Databases not software, I bet he says that is something completely different 😄

(Both actually, but more often than not working on some body of data, that could be in SQL.)

• Haha 1