Spontaneous reboots - discssion on possible causes

I must say I haven't experienced any random shutdowns/reboots for some time now.

But having said that I haven't been anywhere but in hospital or at home due to lockdown. But I did find out that the shutdowns & reboots I had last year were caused by network maintenance.

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yesterday I had two spontaneous reboots while having a call. I was working on my garage, and had working gloves on. First time I really thought that the device rebooted spontaneously, and the second t

Alright, so I just had my first random reboot. For me, this has never been an issue until today, when I connected to GF's new wireless router. I remarked that I found the signal strength a bit lacking

I believe my Pro1 reboots sometimes. I reported long time (like 2 months) ago, that the Pro1 queries pin code sometimes. I was thinking that it only loses network. I even replaced my sim card, to make

Posted Images

On 6/9/2020 at 3:38 PM, tdm said:

I have not completely backed out the double-tap-to-wake (dt2w) changes from stock.  That could be what you are seeing.  I'll try to get that done for the next build.

For what it's worth, the shutting down which had been happening nearly daily, has not happened since I installed the new Lineage build.  Thanks, tdm.  🙂  (Hoping this isn't famous last words 😄 ).

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Hook said:

For what it's worth, the shutting down which had been happening nearly daily, has not happened since I installed the new Lineage build.  Thanks, tdm.  🙂  (Hoping this isn't famous last words 😄 ).

Thank you for the confirmation that it is fixed.  This means the actual DT2W configuration change fixed the issue and the I2C changes were not necessary.

I'm mildly interested in the I2C changes, but I have no idea what is wired to i2c_7.  I guess as long as it works, I'll just leave it.

• Thanks 2
5 hours ago, Hook said:

Same here, since I installed LOS Test15, shutting down never happened again. And with LOS, I never had spontaneous reboots anymore. Thus, installing LOS has been a very fortunate decision!

• Like 3
On 6/26/2020 at 2:57 PM, michael.bosscha said:

What is the main advantage of switching to LOS?

I summarized it on reddit, but the main things are keyboard working a lot more like it should and no more audio crackle.

Edited by Craig
  • Thanks 3
  • 2 weeks later...

The past 48 hours or so my phone spontaneously rebooted around 3 times. BUT I also seem to find out that if I use the Debug shortcut (Power + Volume Down) it rebooted my phone as well, so I do wonder if some of the reboots were actually triggered by the hard keys in the pocket and not actually spontaneous. 

Captured a debug report anyways, not sure if FXtec/IdeaLTE wants to look at it.

• Like 2

I completely forgot to mention my reboots. Three weeks ago I went on a road trip. I was using Google maps and the phone was connected to a QC charger. Out of nowhere it rebooted.
On the way back it happened again, twice. I can't say anything else about it. I was just driving with my phone on, connected to a charger and Google maps active. This was during the night in dark mode, all three times while I was driving through France.

Apart from these three occurences, it hasn't happened again.

I have not noticed random reboots since March but I have not been travelling due COVID-19 situation (I am working from my home). That makes me believe that the root cause of the issue is the same with some Sony devices. I mentioned that earlier. All random reboots that I have faced have happened during travelling.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, DieBruine said:

I was using Google maps and the phone was connected to a QC charger. Out of nowhere it rebooted.

This COULD be a thermal issues. IF a device is quick charging while using GPS at the same time, the risk of overheating is quite high.
(But sure the phone OUGHT to throttle down the charging rate if the temperature gets too high)

In general if using a phone for car navigation I would strongly advise to charge it before the trip. So the battery is not charging while the device is hot. See e.g. this

I'll echo some of the reports here. I have a sense that the reboots for me have gotten more frequent lately, can't put my finger on why (maybe the recent OS patches introduced a new bug as @daniel.schaaaf alluded to). Happens during charging sometimes, other times, it's just on a table or the couch or something and it decides to reboot. No idea what triggers it. The only reproducible state in which I noticed reboots was at my work site when the phone was in a particularly weird cell reception area, and moving it from that area stopped the reboots. But I've been working from home for months due to COVID, where I'm on WiFi nearly all the time, and I'm still getting them (and now seems worse).

@EskeRahn Regarding car use, I will note that with Android Auto, it must be plugged in to the car to use it, and will always charge in that state, unless one has a fancy wireless Android Auto set up, which isn't that widespread yet.

45 minutes ago, lzb said:

@EskeRahn Regarding car use, I will note that with Android Auto, it must be plugged in to the car to use it, and will always charge in that state, unless one has a fancy wireless Android Auto set up, which isn't that widespread yet.

Sorry for being unclear. Indeed use plugged in. BUT charge the phone before starting the navigation. This way the battery is 'idle' at 100% during navigation, and thus any heating affects the battery less.

Worst case is:
Quick charge heating the device and battery
Heavy usage of the phone, heating the device and battery
(And if placed at a hot place it is even worse)

LiIon batteries generally dislikes being charged while the temperature is above about 30 deg Celscius. It shortens the overall lifespan of the battery.

I've never observed any phone get very warm during navigation usage while plugged in.  And I have done it quite a lot.  For a couple years this was the main way my phone got charged every day, during my commute to work and back.  I have never done this with the Pro1, but I cannot imagine it would be any different.  Certainly it should not get warm enough to thermal throttle.

10 minutes ago, tdm said:

I've never observed any phone get very warm during navigation usage while plugged in.  And I have done it quite a lot.  For a couple years this was the main way my phone got charged every day, during my commute to work and back.  I have never done this with the Pro1, but I cannot imagine it would be any different.  Certainly it should not get warm enough to thermal throttle.

I have not had it reach the point of booting, but I certainly had it go way beyond 30°C. Both with an aPple S6-, a BB Priv, a Samsung S8- and the Pro1.

• Like 1

I drive around (well, not so much lately) with the Pro1 plugged in for Android Auto and have never had a problem with overheating (warm, yes) or the phone shutting down in the car,  Back when I was getting resets It did happen in the car once or twice, but never was overheating a reasonable suspect.

By the way, on Lineage, I haven't seen a spontaneous reboot since @tdm said he removed the tap-to-wake elements left from stock.  I really can't imagine why I'd ever go back to IdeaLTE stock at this point.  Curiosity, maybe. It would be a quick trip if I did. 😉

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

I have not had it reach the point of booting, but I certainly had it go way beyond 30°C. Both with an aPple S6-, a BB Priv, a Samsung S8- and the Pro1.

Well, perhaps we have different ideas of "very warm"?  I think 30c is rather cool for a phone during active use and charging.  I would consider "very warm" to be closer to perhaps 50c.

1 hour ago, tdm said:

Well, perhaps we have different ideas of "very warm"?  I think 30c is rather cool for a phone during active use and charging.  I would consider "very warm" to be closer to perhaps 50c.

Oh indeed, but battery charging above 30°C should be avoided if possible. Oblivious it is not a sharp limit. from
https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Lithium-ion suffers from stress when exposed to heat, so does keeping a cell at a high charge voltage. A battery dwelling above 30°C (86°F) is considered elevated temperature and for most Li-ion a voltage above 4.10V/cell is deemed as high voltage. Exposing the battery to high temperature and dwelling in a full state-of-charge for an extended time can be more stressful than cycling. Table 3 demonstrates capacity loss as a function of temperature and SoC.

image.png.0a73ae3f5c31583c9d8b37d2e4eb864a.png

• Like 2
3 hours ago, tdm said:

Try a Moto Z 😄 My Moto Z not only got hot enough to throttle, but it turned itself off  because it overheated while using navigation and charging it at the same time. When I tried to turn it back on the aluminum housing almost burned my fingers. Probably didn't help that it was summer and no AC in the car. But the Moto Z can get very hot easily.

Edited by AnnieC
  • Sad 1

The phone was not warm. Apart from rebooting in case of bad WiFi way back, my phone has rebooted previously while using Maps. In this case even more so. My phone holder is mounted on the vents. It was cooled the whole 2000km on both trips. No way my phone heated up 🙂 . Airco was on all the time. Both holder and phone could not have been above 20 degrees.

• Thanks 1
55 minutes ago, DieBruine said:

The phone was not warm. Apart from rebooting in case of bad WiFi way back, my phone has rebooted previously while using Maps. In this case even more so. My phone holder is mounted on the vents. It was cooled the whole 2000km on both trips. No way my phone heated up 🙂 . Airco was on all the time. Both holder and phone could not have been above 20 degrees.

Great, then we can eliminate that as a possible reason, thanks.

19 hours ago, tdm said:

I've never observed any phone get very warm during navigation usage while plugged in

After some four or five hours of driving with navigation running, the Blackberry Priv I once had usually shut itself down due to overheating. This of course happened when I already was right inside that big destination city where I was completely lost without navigation – having to seek a parking bay only to wait for the damned thing to cool down, already being late for the appointment, of course...

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The random reboots are getting worse. They seem to be much more frequent than when I first got the phone. I don't know what the root cause is, or why they are more frequent now, but it's starting to boarder on unusable. I feel like I need to contact Fxtec but at this point I'm not sure what they can do.