Jump to content

LineageOS 16.0 Official Builds: Discussion


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am pleased to announce that the Pro1 has received official support in LineageOS 16.0.   You can find the builds and installation instructions on the official LineageOS Downloads page.

Lineage recovery will offer to install from sdcard if, and only if, a physical sdcard is present and it is able to be read without any decryption (eg. it is not used as adoptable storage).  

In my opinion LineageOS 16 was a very important OS for the Pro1 that brought the best out of the device at a moment when stock couldn't (yet) . Although not a developer, I can well imagine it also bro

Posted Images

1 hour ago, agent008 said:

I've seen the solution to this somewhere on this forum. Either on this thread or on the Lineage test builds thread.

Don't know if it's a solution exactly, but I give my setting and I don't see this behavior.  But if it continues, download The Google messages app.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Breeze said:

Why do i get this all the time when i send a SMS

Try something like

adb shell settings put global sms_outgoing_check_max_count 99999
adb shell settings put global sms_outgoing_check_interval_ms 9000

It is a silly default set way too low IMHO....

Note that is is counting the INDIVIDUAL SMSes that is roughly each 157 char for plain A-Z type, and 67 chars if at the least one unicode char is used. So a lengthy SMS sent to a several friends (bulk not chat)  can easily hit the default ceiling,

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Try something like

adb shell settings put global sms_outgoing_check_max_count 99999
adb shell settings put global sms_outgoing_check_interval_ms 9000

It is a silly default set way too low IMHO....

Note that is is counting the INDIVIDUAL SMSes that is roughly each 157 char for plain A-Z type, and 67 chars if at the least one unicode char is used. So a lengthy SMS sent to a several friends (bulk not chat)  can easily hit the default ceiling,

Solved it with changing the number in settings.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2020 at 1:59 PM, auvo.salmi said:

Try apkmirror for Netflix. I haven't tried straight download from Netflix website, so it might be newer version or something. It is also possible that Magisk is needed to hide root, to make Netflix work. I haven't tried without Magisk.

About Magisk, I am not a guru, far from it. Not an android guru either, but I have some experience in Linux systems, which help a bit. But Magisk itself is quite straightforward stuff to install and set up (apply MagiskHide for apps you don't want to see root). The props config is little bit trickier, you need a terminal app to set it up but there's quite good instructions in xda. Props config is needed for banking and some other apps, like my work mail account. Netflix should work without it also.

About the safety, I don't really know. Some people are really against Magisk, and I believe they have good reasons for it. I personally haven't found it break anything or even having any effect to any other stuff. In my device, it just does what I need it to do: hides root from the apps I want. Of course I cannot be sure about what other things it does behind my back, but I believe that Google itself collects more of my personal information than any particular app can ever do. About battery drain, I haven't noticed any. I have about two days of battery usage, but I believe it is more about how heavily you use the device than what apps you have installed. 

As a last word, I don't recommend you to do anything. Do as you said and read enough about the stuff you are going to play with, and then make your decision whether to install or not. Google has been trying hard to prevent Magisk from working, and even thhough it works for now, it is quite sure that it will be prevented permanently some day. 

Good advice.

Questions:

1. Any recommendation for doing backup before beginning?

2. Is it the same install procedure for Magisk as AddonSU as oulined in the LOS docs? Most online resources for Magisk uses TWRP, which I understand is not quite ready yet the pro1 when using LOS.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/14/2020 at 6:19 AM, Jonathan said:

2. Is it the same install procedure for Magisk as AddonSU as oulined in the LOS docs? Most online resources for Magisk uses TWRP, which I understand is not quite ready yet the pro1 when using LOS.

If it's not outlined, its the same procedure as installing gapps.   Reboot to recovery (I do so from restart menu, theres a setting to enable the advanced restart menu), select apply update, and adb sideload either lineagesu or magisk.

 

If you're starting with installing lineage, after sideloading lineage in recovery, you select advanced reboot to recovery, then sideload su and/or gapps.

Edited by Craig
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/10/2020 at 3:26 PM, DieBruine said:

My fingerprint reader sometimes won't respond. I have to use the power button and swipe. A few seconds after that, the sensor will work again.
And still my inputs get eaten. Just now it spooked around, which is why I'm editing. Also I just noticed my hotmail account isn't syncing anymore.
Maybe a fresh install next weekend.

I have also this with fingerprint, feels like its random. Any solutions?

Have my Pro¹ as daily driver for couple of days now, coming from Symbian, Maemo, Meego, Sailfish. So lot to learn with this Android/Lineage.

Gonna donate to @tdm for his awesome work

Edited by Breeze
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Breeze said:

My fingerprint reader sometimes won't respond. I have to use the power button and swipe. A few seconds after that, the sensor will work again.

I've noticed that too, but not sure when exactly that happens.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, c3cf said:

I've noticed that too, but not sure when exactly that happens.

I feel like its random. Somtimes the phone is idle for an hour, doesnt work. Next time after an hour idle it works. Same with 2-5 minutes idle. Doesnt matter if i lock the phone with power key or i let it lock it self by not touching it. Different results...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Another stupid non adroid user quetion.

Why do i have this everytime i have an app open?

This Android protection notification? (here it is FireFox)

I can only snooze it, then it comes back

 

Screenshot_20200816-000236_Firefox.png

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Breeze said:

Another stupid non adroid user quetion.

Why do i have this everytime i have an app open?

This Android protection notification? (here it is FireFox)

I can only snooze it, then it comes back

 

Screenshot_20200816-000236_Firefox.png

 

I believe this is privacy guard.  Try: "Settings->Privacy->Privacy Guard->Show notification"

 
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, tdm said:

 

I believe t🍻his is privacy guard.  Try: "Settings->Privacy->Privacy Guard->Show notification"

 

Looks like it solved the "problem". These sub, sub , more sub menus 🧐

Sitting by the computer now and gonna send some beer money 🍻

Only thing I miss now is support fot full Finnish/Swedish keyboard layout (swdish and finnish has the same). Cant find @ on the keyboard, have to use virtual keyboard for that.

Thanks mate 😀

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Breeze said:

Looks like it solved the "problem". These sub, sub , more sub menus 🧐

Sitting by the computer now and gonna send some beer money 🍻

Only thing I miss now is support fot full Finnish/Swedish keyboard layout (swdish and finnish has the same). Cant find @ on the keyboard, have to use virtual keyboard for that.

Thanks mate 😀

sym + 2 provides @

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2020 at 10:02 PM, EskeRahn said:

a better estimate of the idle consumption than my previous claim that it was about 1%/h, it really is only about 0.5%/h

Just for info and off topic this is not LineageOS only, the same goes for Stock. Below an example from July 19th, with very little usage, where it dropped 10% in 20½h (red line)

Screenshot_20200816-071920_dash.thumb.png.3a39945ca2a8c8adac02711a2f127774.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2020 at 5:57 PM, Craig said:

If it's not outlined, its the same procedure as installing gapps.   Reboot to recovery (I do so from restart menu, theres a setting to enable the advanced restart menu), select apply update, and adb sideload either lineagesu or magisk.

 

If you're starting with installing lineage, after sideloading lineage in recovery, you select advanced reboot to recovery, then sideload su and/or gapps.

Thanks. This was very helpful.

After doing 'adb backup' (ansering myown question above), I tried your method. Installation was without issues.
Looks like setting up stuff required a bit of tinkering, but I gotten most things working. Only one banking app and Gpay not working. Good enough for me for now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the begining, I installed AddonSu (I need this for some apps) and yesterday, I don't know why, I tried to install banking apps despite the fact that I don't hide the rooted status. And guess what, it worked!

Using these apps on the Fairphone2 with LineageOS 16.0 is impossible without hiding root (I do this with iSu), you immediately get a kick in the face.

So LineageOS installed on this device is a great blessing!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like there's quite a variety of things some apps may check, I dont understand all of them, but things I've heard of include:

cts
google play protect
su (root)
bootloader lock
safetynet
widevine
secureboot

 

 

Edited by Craig
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jordi said:

Since the begining, I installed AddonSu (I need this for some apps) and yesterday, I don't know why, I tried to install banking apps despite the fact that I don't hide the rooted status. And guess what, it worked!

Using these apps on the Fairphone2 with LineageOS 16.0 is impossible without hiding root (I do this with iSu), you immediately get a kick in the face.

So LineageOS installed on this device is a great blessing!

 

There is a kernel patch that automatically hides the "su" binary when it is not in use.  So, as long as you disable root for apps in developer settings before launching your freedom-limiting app, it will not be able to detect it.

 

But.  As mentioned, there are many other ways to detect a rooted/modified device.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have also the randomly failing fingerprint reader problem.

Today I noticed a weird bug, I already experienced one time before. I cut a text from a form, suddenly the physical keyboard is not working anymore until you paste again. The first time I didn't try to paste, I just rebooted, so I'm not sure if pasting is always the solution. Did anyone else experience this before?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, tdm said:

There is a kernel patch that automatically hides the "su" binary when it is not in use.  So, as long as you disable root for apps in developer settings before launching your freedom-limiting app, it will not be able to detect it.

But.  As mentioned, there are many other ways to detect a rooted/modified device.

What is curious is that I have root access for apps and ADB!

Maybe these apps have been updated recently and don't control this kind of thing anymore and I didn't notice it. Weird.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I noticed when this Lineage version moved from test22 to official suddenly some apps like Mario Kart Tour and Pokemon Go suddenly became available through the Play Store, while they were listed as not compatible on test22 and before.

So maybe the signature also plays a role in some cases.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure if this is related to LineageOS or something else, but I have a small problem with Bluetooth:
I've got a headset (Shure) which is also recognized as headset (you can see that from the symbol).

However, all apps (Audio Recorder, WhatsApp, etc.) I tried always use the internal phone microphone instead of the headset one.

When I connect a wired headset, this works fine - it's only an issue with Bluetooth.

Any ideas?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you have the exact model and maybe the release year of that headset? Maybe we can figure out which BT protocol it tries to use.

Does it behave the same for video/music playback and phone calls?

Prepare to be asked for a logcat 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms