Something special is coming...

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello! It’s Chen here, been a long time since we last talked or met in person. First of all I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy, regardless where you are. It might be a difficu

There are many considerations to stock/factory software.  Here is a (probably not complete) list from someone who has been relatively close to the process in the past but not directly involved:  

I had to delete some of the content our very crafty users found about this :). We can’t share anything for certain until the 27th, as there’s still a lot of graphical (presentation) work undergoi

Posted Images

2 hours ago, damion said:

Why not skip it and go straight to 11 ?

Would seem obvious, but it just might be a matter of some of the closed hardware driver code that does not work with / exist for 11 - just guessing....

...and I now see @_DW_ already answered along the same lines...

2 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Would seem obvious, but it just might be a matter of some of the closed hardware driver code that does not work with / exist for 11 - just guessing....

...and I now see @_DW_ already answered along the same lines...

Yeah they keep it closed source for that reason not in there interest as someone would fork it and get older chips working on newer versions.

20 hours ago, _DW_ said:

Most likely qualcomm not supporting it.

I don't think that it is true since Google has already updated Pixel 2 and 2 XL phones to Android 11. They both are using same SD835 chipset than Pro1.

Most likely F(x)tec is not able to start develop Android 11 update yet because they do not have the official baseline firmware. It might be too much hassle to start with AOSP code.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, FlyingAntero said:

Most likely F(x)tec is not able to start develop Android 11 update yet because they do not have the official baseline firmware. It might be too much hassle to start with AOSP code.

This can be one reason - and as they have just got Android 10 code it can be very likely.

Also there are other components (like fingerprint sensor for example) which may need an appropriate version and also if the manufacturer can provide the needed blob, it should be also requested or get payed...

• Like 2

I am actually deeply disappointed with F(x)tec about this. Shouldn't the company focus on delivering pending orders (mine is pending 10 months by now) instead of drumming up some marketing bla-bla? All this is pretty pointless if you can not actually deliver the product, so why even bother? Or maybe this is just some scam to funnel the remaining prepayments from the customer orders out of the company books via marketing payments to XDA to make the money disappear forever ...

• Confused 1

@EskeRahn I see you are confused, so let me explain a bit more.

In my opinion ALL resources (human and financial) of f(x)tec should go toward fulfilling customer orders. No matter what the "something special" is, there is money and work spend on it. And now, imagine this "something special" is pretty cool and people want to buy it? F(x)tec can not deliver, so all the work and money invested into "something special" is just wasted.

That is unless "something special" is just designed to funnel money out of the company as "marketing spend" and then back into the private pockets of the f(x)tec guys by such things as kickback payments from XDA.

I repeat: if f(x)tec can not deliver the product, they should not spend on marketing but on production for existing customers! Otherwise I can only assume that f(x)tec
(a) don't care about its customers or (b) have a hidden agenda related to make money without actually delivering anything - I can not think of any other reason, and this behavior is a pity, really.

So please f(x)tec, invest your resources into your existing customers instead of "something special"!

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Ralf said:

In my opinion ALL resources (human and financial) of f(x)tec should go toward fulfilling customer orders.

We don't know it, but the bottleneck seems to be at production in China while the base of F(x)tec is in the UK.
So they may help in distributing the packages shipped from UK but not the production in China.

Also we know nothing about the production / fulfillment rate, unfortunately.

We will see what project they start and it may gain help from XDA software-wise.
It can be also a hardware but could be simply a software developed for Pro1, so it may or may not affect current production at all.

I don't think F(x)tec can not deliver anyway.

However, if it is a hardware development, they may have some time fulfilling remaining orders before starting production of their new product, but if it is a software potentially together with a Pro1, then they should really close to fulfill all of their current orders of Pro1.

• Like 2

@Ralf as neither of us know what it is all about, it is much a guessing game.

In a small company people have to fill a lot of slots. But it is not that everyone can fill every slot...

So using marketing hands for say packing or service are not likely to be very effective way to use their resources. But sure we would all wish they were able to fulfil pending orders and service request faster, but as we do not know neither what is holding things up, nor what this new stuff is all about we have absolutely no idea if the same hands behind this could sensibly have been used for fulfilling the pending.

I'm not to judge whether what sounds like your personal conspiracy theory is right or not. But I personally highly doubt it. The history of these guys seems to show that they works their a..es of to get us our phones.... The main guy @Waxberry was also behind the cancelled Motorola Mod Keyboard. And you know what. He offered EVERYONE to choose between getting all their money back or a voucher for the Pro1 for more than what we paid for the mod, of his own pocket. He was not in anyway obliged to do that, it was a crowd-sourced project that was cancelled after long struggles with lacking support from Moto, with money spent, so he was in no way obliged to do this. This does not sound to me like someone trying to scam anyone....

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
3 hours ago, Ralf said:

In my opinion ALL resources (human and financial) of f(x)tec should go toward fulfilling customer orders

To add to what @EskeRahn and @VaZso already said – the reality of economy, including what is necessary for a company to even just survive, can be something completely different than what customers feel they're entitled to. Even if they righteously and legitimately feel that way. 

For me, it's been over a year now that I ordered my Pro¹, and since QWERTZ keyboards are out of stock I expect it will be at least another one or two months. 

Still I guess we're all lucky. Because despite the catastrophic situation they've been in at least since the pandemic hit China, F(x)tec has still not filed for insolvency, they're still operating, communicating, providing service. If we had been less lucky, they could have been gone half a year ago and we'd only have the liquidators to talk to.

And it's just as obvious that this situation, with the Chinese contractors producing as slowly as they do, cannot go on forever; even if F(x)tec's reserve capital was huge, it cannot be infinite. At some point they need to sell new products to stay alive. And if this new gadget helps them do this, yes please, do so, and do so aggressively. This is the only chance I see that we may be able to buy a Pro² or Pro³ at some point.

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
43 minutes ago, Rob. S. said:

This is the only chance I see that we may be able to buy a Pro² or Pro³ at some point.

I have very rarely seen such an active community around a new phone. Would be really sad if it was all for nothing 😕 It means there are lots of people with interest in FXTecs products.

• Like 5

@EskeRahn@Rob. S.@VaZso - thanks, I see your point.

So let's just hope that "something special" is indeed not a waste of resources and that f(x)tec will be able to deliver whatever it is so the momentum is not lost. At the end - and again I am speculating - it boils down to f(x)tec being a very minor customer with no importance at all for their chinese manufacturers, hence the backlog of 1 year in production.

So yes, if "something special" generates new demand and thus bigger batches to be ordered it might actually speed up the production and delivery. I'll keep my fingers crossed and my order open ...

• Like 6

I had to delete some of the content our very crafty users found about this :).

We can’t share anything for certain until the 27th, as there’s still a lot of graphical (presentation) work undergoing, pricing is being drafted and more. What you may have seen is far from final, hence the links were taken down.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 11
11 hours ago, Erik said:

I had to delete some of the content our very crafty users found about this :).

We can’t share anything for certain until the 27th, as there’s still a lot of graphical (presentation) work undergoing, pricing is being drafted and more. What you may have seen is far from final, hence the links were taken down.

darn it what I miss lol

• Haha 4

I gotta say I find all this hype very annoying.  Finish pro¹ damnit, talking about something else when pro¹ still not delivered just pisses me off.   Finish shipping peoples orders.  Ship our headphones.   Finish the stock software, there's still people using it that have been waiting a friggen year now!   Just pisses me off every time I get another email about this something special bullshit.  FINISH DELIVERING WHAT YOU ALREADY PROMISED BEFORE MAKING ANY NEW PROMISES, PLEASE.   Ten minutes to preorder something new?  Who would be stupid enough to do that if they are alreaedy faimilar with this companies history.  I tried their one IGG, they said it was ready to ship then never shipped.   And this project consonantly delayed then told when we pay they'd ship soon, but still a year later not even done shipping preorders and still not available to order. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Craig said:

I gotta say I find all this hype very annoying.  Finish pro¹ damnit, talking about something else when pro¹ still not delivered just pisses me off.   Finish shipping peoples orders.  Ship our headphones.   Finish the stock software, there's still people using it that have been waiting a friggen year now!   Just pisses me off every time I get another email about this something special bullshit.  FINISH DELIVERING WHAT YOU ALREADY PROMISED BEFORE MAKING ANY NEW PROMISES, PLEASE.   Ten minutes to preorder something new?  Who would be stupid enough to do that if they are alreaedy faimilar with this companies history.  I tried their one IGG, they said it was ready to ship then never shipped.   And this project consonantly delayed then told when we pay they'd ship soon, but still a year later not even done shipping preorders and still not available to order. 

Unfortunately, we don't know the progress of delivery or what kind of contracts they have or what solutions they may try to find.
So currently they are the only one who knows what is possible to achieve or what is not.

I really hope if they can do "something special", that means they are in the finish line of delivering all of their existing pre-orders.
Also our existing Pro1 may benefit of XDA collaboration if it means they can help in software development in any ways.
Don't forget, basically F(x)tec is a hardware development company, so what they may really need is some help in software development or some help in marketing (when it or Pro1 will be widely available).

So we may know something more in the coming days, then we will see.

Ten minutes is really a short timeframe, but at least they wrote the exact time - it should has been a bit more for serious decision.

IGG was shipped anyway but only in a minor quantity. However, everyone got back their perk or could convert it for Pro1.
So yes, it was unsuccessful (because of circumstances out of their control), but at least they (Chen) was fair with all of their customers and had an option even of paying back the money paid, although he definitively lose money on that project.

They should had been a bit more transparent and this Covid thing did not help at all, but I hope they can build up a well support and also create new hardware in the future.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1