Something special is coming...

1 hour ago, windraver said:

The email said we get a 10 minute early bird notice at 1:50pm but didn't say what time zone?

I assume that is London time.  It arrived at 9:50 EST which, given the US is not on DST yet should be correct,

Edited by Hook
  • Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello! It’s Chen here, been a long time since we last talked or met in person. First of all I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy, regardless where you are. It might be a difficu

There are many considerations to stock/factory software.  Here is a (probably not complete) list from someone who has been relatively close to the process in the past but not directly involved:  

I had to delete some of the content our very crafty users found about this :). We can’t share anything for certain until the 27th, as there’s still a lot of graphical (presentation) work undergoi

Posted Images

51 minutes ago, michael.bosscha said:

Yeah, ten minutes is a really short time. I'm not entirely sure what they're getting at here, but a ten minute time frame is way too short for people who have normal jobs 'n stuff.

Also e-mail delivery time may cause some problems comparable to this timeframe...

• Like 1
6 hours ago, michael.bosscha said:

Yeah, ten minutes is a really short time. I'm not entirely sure what they're getting at here, but a ten minute time frame is way too short for people who have normal jobs 'n stuff.

It's just marketing. They are saying buy early or you will pass on a great opportunity. Depending of how many of those early IGG perks they put up for sell they may or may not be gone within that 10mn timeframe.

If it's a gold plated Pro1 they can have my money 🤣
Joking aside I'll probably pass on this one for financial reasons unless maybe if they have an AZERTY variant 😀

Edited by Slion
1 hour ago, Slion said:

If it's a gold plated Pro1 they can have my money

One thing I would like to see improved on the Pro1 is the screen frame assembly from one made of plastic to one made of metal alloy. Maybe that would help with that infamous rattle too.

1 hour ago, Slion said:

One thing I would like to see improved on the Pro1 is the screen frame assembly from one made of plastic to one made of metal alloy. Maybe that would help with that infamous rattle too.

I actually prefer phones built mostly out of plastic, at least for the outside parts, as long as it's good quality and well designed (I guess plastic cases tend to have to be made a bit thicker). Plastic tends to look better when worn a bit, and absorbs impacts better, etc. The main downside of course is higher thermal resistance.

• Like 2

I don't see the value of the specs, there's literally no reason to have 8gb ram on android... the thing is there's a case included, which is awesome. But if the hardware is still as wonky, I won't be ordering one.

Would be interesting to know, what has changed compared to the pro1 assembly. If the QA and assembly is still as unreliable, or if it has improved.
Some of the stuff on the kickstarter is also quite dishonest, there's a benchmark plot (because of course there is) and it has the oneplus nord as "2020 5g flagship". What are you guys smoking, it's literally a budget phone. Put something with a snapdragon 865+ on there and you need to change to log scale -_-

Edited by eldarion
typo
2 minutes ago, Wasmachineman_NL said:

So it's a Pro1 with preinstalled LOS and 256GB storage/8GB RAM. Interesting but not interesting for someone who already owns a Pro1.

Except if you want one of the additional layout offered: Azerty and Scandinavian. (I doubt many will buy it for the colour alone)

• Like 1

So basically the same hardware, with some added storage and RAM. Biggest differentiating factor is the software. This seems like good news for LineageOS support on the original at least, I'm guessing a lot of that overlaps. But this doesn't bode good for "official" Android support, that was already subpar I think, and now that seems to be dropped even further. I do hope firmware and the like will be kept up to date for longer now.

The similar hardware is also good and bad. Good in that repair support is likely to be possible for longer since the hardware is similar. But on the other hand, I do feel like this is possibly going to cannibalize the current pre-orders. Pro1 is still not "generally available", people are still waiting (far past the original delivery date), and the last time a group of people that ordered later were given preference it wasn't a good look either. If these start to ship before general availability, then I'd be pissed if I didn't already have my phone. 

Also, I'm not sure what XDA has to do with this aside from branding? It's being posed as the reason for LineageOS, but I don't see that link? And apparently it's currently running 17.1, which is further than the current Pro1? And that early Christmas edition gives me some bad flashbacks. 

Fancy look by the way, but I prefer plain black. 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, EskeRahn said:

Except if you want one of the additional layout offered: Azerty and Scandinavian. (I doubt many will buy it for the colour alone)

Basically I find black is far better than blue, so for me, really not the colour what matters...

4 minutes ago, Zamasu said:

The similar hardware is also good and bad. Good in that repair support is likely to be possible for longer since the hardware is similar.

Basically the hardware should be the same, except two components have changed to their "higher" versions in the same package.

5 minutes ago, Zamasu said:

I do feel like this is possibly going to cannibalize the current pre-orders. Pro1 is still not "generally available", people are still waiting (far past the original delivery date), and the last time a group of people that ordered later were given preference it wasn't a good look either.

I think they will ship all preorders before this new IGG offer, but as the Pro1-X also has a similar version what Pro1 had, it doesn't really matter if everyone will have their phones before March next year which was stated there (except the 10 units which ship this December).