Protective Case Suggestions and Ideas

I was imagining a polymer cup with thin metal clamps moulded in to grab the edge of the lower part of the phone without impeding the slider, to be used as a protector on itself, or, my preference, as a base for a leather sideflip.

But no idea how to get a company to produce something of the like, and whether the clamps might interfere with antennae.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First testprint made last night. I've split the bottom up in 2 parts to figure out how well the fit is. there is some slight (2mm) missalignment of the buttons and usb-c header and the camera placemen

I made a leather pouch for the Pro1. I used cow leather, thickness about 2 mm. All the parts are glued with super glue gel adhesive which remains flexible. I made some holes to see the led and to get

Just finished a quick sketch of the bottom part of the protective cover:   Will run a test print tonight to get first dimensions with hard plastic to see how the shell fits, then adjust

Posted Images

After seeing that they admitted that case doesn't exist after they already maybe started shipping phones... I would never imagine that they would fall down that much...

Sleeve is useless. Case at least is there to take some amount of the impact if the phone drops. Of course all drops will be accidental, because of haste, lack of attention. To use the phone you must take off the sleeve, before that operation there will be little chance for phone to be dropped unless someone has a hole in pants pocket. In my opinion, sleeve could be only useful if one wants to hold a phone in a pocket together with keys or other sharp objects(I don't even plan doing something like this), in every other situation it will be useless...

Edited by Gon009
  • Like 3
23 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Actually it COULD grip over the two back corners, some 20x20mm, as long as it is not more than some ½mm thick, worst case it would make the device ever so slightly thicker closed. So that could be a way to do it...

Tried with some thick paper (a ½mm thick booklet). And a case can actually grip over the entire ends, so this should be possible keeping the long edges free, so you can open the device by either pushing the front or lifting the back edge after your preferred operation mode.

So I think a stiff bottom (e.g. leather) and 5mm black elastic bands on both sides of the keyboard would work.

Thank you, I was wondering what the height of the keyboard part was. Difficult to find a match without that. Sounds like it would look much better than what I had in mind. We would just have to cut out the borders where the buttons don't match and a different hole for the camera/flashlight, which is definitely doable on leather + plastic.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Gon009 said:

After seeing that they admitted that case doesn't exist after they already maybe started shipping phones... I would never imagine that they would fall down that much...

Sleeve is useless. Case at least is there to take some amount of the impact if the phone drops. Of course all drops will be accidental, because of haste, lack of attention. To use the phone you must take off the sleeve, before that operation there will be little chance for phone to be dropped unless someone has a hole in pants pocket. In my opinion, sleeve could be only useful if one wants to hold a phone in a pocket together with keys or other sharp objects(I don't even plan doing something like this), in every other situation it will be useless...

I agree that a sleeve and a case don't serve the same purpose and it was dishonest of them to keep silent until the phones started shipping in order to notify everyone that the case is no longer being made (regardless of whether it is free or for sale).

5 minutes ago, david said:

I agree that a sleeve and a case don't serve the same purpose and it was dishonest of them to keep silent until the phones started shipping in order to notify everyone that the case is no longer being made (regardless of whether it is free or for sale).

For a laugh go to the "Shop". The "Hard Case" is still there as "Coming soon"... 🙄

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

For a laugh go to the "Shop". The "Hard Case" is still there as "Coming soon"... 🙄

😐

Maybe that refers to their belief/hope that some 3rd party will make cases for their phone that work, when they couldn't figure out how to do it.  😏

To be fair, a company that specializes in cases might be able to do that, since that's their business.  And, I suppose, with a start-up, those companies aren't going to make them before the phone is released.  It will be interesting to see if anyone does make anything for it, given the lower production numbers vs other phones.  On the other hand, if *most* Pro1 customers will buy a case (since there isn't any other competition), then it might be worth it to them to produce cases for the Pro1.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, _DW_ said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hairyworm-Personalised-Samsung-leather-Personalise/dp/B07FQHNHJH

Need something like that holder (bottom picture) which has a strong elastic bit over, is that what your saying might be possible @EskeRahn?

I meant something that went over the top and bottom, e.g. clear plastic strap, rubber band or elastic band. The Note 7 has fairly large top/bottom bezels. Many years ago, this was a common way to do flip-cases for pocket calculators and pocket multi-meters, so with a little luck it exists for the Note 7.

Like the blue bands of this quick mockup

MockUp.jpg.f462ccc42ce9d9169b53d8d9ca24db24.jpg

17 hours ago, mcdinner said:

This is sad as a sleeve does not help to secure the phone when dropped while holding it. Phone won't drop while in my pocket and scratches on the back are not the thing I'm afraid of.
Also this is again a communication fail, as the last information from June!! was that there would be pictures soon of the case.

Now there is no protection at all, and If the phone manufaturer itself cannot create a case who will then ?
This may be a problem of this shitty borderless designs which came up the last years. On my E7 I had a hardcover like this, which I would like to see again.

E7HardCover.jpg

I'd like to see a case like this too, worked well to protect my e7 front and back from damage while still allowing the phone to be fully usable.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Siani_8 said:

God I hadn't even thought of how much of a nightmare making a case for those folding phones would be lol

That Xiaomi one does not even fold, it's permanently folded basically. And notice there is 0 physical buttons on it 😥.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, netman said:

That Xiaomi one does not even fold, it's permanently folded basically. And notice there is 0 physical buttons on it 😥.

Didn't even know that was a thing.  I generally don't pay much attention to new/upcoming/potential devices unless I see a KB lol

• Like 1
Just now, Doktor Oswaldo said:

Oh sorry got confused. These slabs are looking all the same? (Hopefully netman will buy that one)

I've been demanding they add a keyboard and threatening to cancel my pre-order if they don't, but they don't reply :-/.

• Haha 5
  • phoebus2000 changed the title to Will Pro1 3D printer files for a case work with Pro1X?