Protective Case Suggestions and Ideas

4 hours ago, FlyingAntero said:

Also, you can't just select Screen Off - Unlock with fingerprint from Keyboard/Button Mapper. You need to install Nova Launcher and use Nova actions as an activity.

I didn't need to do that. Works just fine without Nova it seems.

Thanks to you @FlyingAntero I have a functional smart case for my Pro1 🙂
Now I just need to sort out the wake up part.

Edited by Slion
  • Like 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First testprint made last night. I've split the bottom up in 2 parts to figure out how well the fit is. there is some slight (2mm) missalignment of the buttons and usb-c header and the camera placemen

I made a leather pouch for the Pro1. I used cow leather, thickness about 2 mm. All the parts are glued with super glue gel adhesive which remains flexible. I made some holes to see the led and to get

Just finished a quick sketch of the bottom part of the protective cover:   Will run a test print tonight to get first dimensions with hard plastic to see how the shell fits, then adjust

Posted Images

ivoler Hülle Case Kompatibel für Huawei P20 Pro, Premium Transparent Klare Tasche Schutzhülle Weiche TPU Silikon Gel Handyhülle Schmaler Cover https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07BVRH8G2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_0sTuEb1173YSK

That's the one I bought. I used a hole puncher or whatever its called (additional holes in belts). It looks like a hack job, but I am very satisfied with this bumper. I shaved off volume up. Fingerprint reader took some butchering. But overall very happy. 

Tomorrow I will cut a better screen protector from vinyl (bestskinever).

IMG_20200223_202540.jpg.f51b56d800766fb17a2824b9f3d5b958.jpg20200224_073051.jpg.1e233ed9d78897bac6617d67f62a8f21.jpg20200224_073014.jpg.4305fa8101069dfce6675a8cfa5019ac.jpg20200224_073119.thumb.jpg.89dcc85bdda54b4d1aac1c54ef11c210.jpg

Edited by DieBruine
Pictures wouldn't show
  • Like 1
On 2/17/2020 at 4:29 PM, PC_ said:

If anyone is interested in a well made leather pouch with a pull tab, I recently bought this one from MediaDevil in the UK.  I tried a couple of different sizes.  It's not perfect as the phone does protrude from the top a bit and it could do with being slightly narrower but until someone produces a custom fitted case for the Pro1 it's a bit more robust than the fabric sleave suplied by F(x)Tec. (It does have a couple of small holes at the back for what I assume is for a speaker on the back  of the note 4).

https://mediadevil.com/collections/all/products/artisanpouch-leather-pouch-case-samsung-galaxy-note-4?variant=38830827729

Thanks to the guys at MediaDevil, after a couple more attempts we found that their iPhone 6/7/8 Plus leather pulltab case is a far better fit for the Pro1.  They ship internationally and I could not recommend their customer service enough.  Also the quality and workmanship of the case is excellent.

https://mediadevil.com/collections/apple-iphone-8-plus-accessories/products/artisanpouch-leather-pouch-case-apple-iphone-6-plus

image.png.6e93de3cbf6379403554c8729a6ceee3.pngimage.png.c2bd03bacfbd2ab87e64b5ad18e850f7.png

Edited by PC_
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
On 2/19/2020 at 1:47 PM, EskeRahn said:

Another option is to add some of the adhesive anti-slip tape intended for stairs (black or transparent) e.g. this

This will give you a VERY easy lift..

I made the above halfway as a joke at getting more grip, but it really has grown on me, and a shorter piece is all it need to do the trick.

It is especially useful with a flip-case, as it would be a nuisance in&out of a sleeve or pocket if exposed.

If you place a piece of just say 2-3 x 15-20 mm above the fingerprint reader, you will be able to unlock an lift in one movement. Touch, await the haptic feedback, and lift.

IMG_20200224_164043~01.jpg

(The red lines are reflections from my red table used as standard background)

• Like 2
On 2/7/2020 at 9:34 AM, _DW_ said:

I bought this in a couple of variants, And well that was a waste of money IMHO...

1) The case-sliding is not enough to get in when down, and to expose the flash/torch when up. It moves 30mm (would have needed 40mm)

2) The case is BIG! Mounted 90x165x30 versus the 82xx157x23 of the simple flip cases

3) The hard plastic 'claw' gripping the phone, will require modifications to not grip the power button partly, and to allow access to the fingerprint scanner,

4) No side and end protection, except the parts covered by the claw

On the plus side, it is symmetric , so it can be mounted opening either under the display or flapping in front of the keyboard.

1385210916_IMG_20200224_1708570101.thumb.jpg.19f9dfef1b38636e2e7f57a0e08a6c2e.jpg

626078133_IMG_20200224_172204_101.thumb.jpg.391281b8a2b13629d61c01d87c0a54cc.jpg

227650395_IMG_20200224_17161501.thumb.jpg.2ce5425881b833196f561431267f1cf1.jpg

1301362269_IMG_20200224_17173701.thumb.jpg.45b8c6c06a4ddab149f1c32f541bcaaa.jpg

631851592_IMG_20200224_17174501.thumb.jpg.f893643214d2acc5a2287caa1eaa924f.jpg

925566957_IMG_20200224_17182401.thumb.jpg.93b3a68f7ae3ebe1449b139d24ad8844.jpg

288649634_IMG_20200224_18023801.thumb.jpg.830af7169da80510acbe5ee3891b7fa4.jpg

Note on the last image how both the phone is quite a bit over the case, and also the claws gripping so the phone does not close completely.

From two different seller a total of six(!) of these cases arrived today - two of the carbon's should have been different variants, so not quite sure what went wrong

BUT I'm not going to use any of them so:

If anyone are interested despite the above, they could just PM me and fetch one or all, or I can send at shipping cost.

The official value is about £6 each, so if outside EU/EFTA be aware that custom might be added, if above some trifles limit, and no I'm not going to fill out any papers, just sending it as a gift, so any custom issues will be your problem.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Bloodhoundje said:

Sorry, had some personal issues going on that drained alot of my time. Likely have time to work on the case next week again! 🙂

No rush.  Just thought I'd ask, in case (no pun intended) I missed any info. :-)

• Haha 1
On 1/20/2020 at 1:54 PM, EskeRahn said:

I would not be at all surprised if quite many of us would be interested in one (or more) of those.

What happened to the idea of printing a 2 pieces case with a 3d printer? Seemed to be the best idea for a case?

2 times the same Idea, sorry didn't See this Post before

Edited by wave-rider
  • Haha 1
13 hours ago, Bloodhoundje said:

Sorry, had some personal issues going on that drained alot of my time. Likely have time to work on the case next week again! 🙂

If your continuing this might be nice to have a 3D printed case thread so people can find/share info on doing this.

• Thanks 2

For those of you with custom smart case I started working on a dedicated Accessibility Service to make it work better.
I have not published an APK yet but it should compile and the advertised functionalities should be working already.

For now the main advantage over a generic solution using Key Mapper and a screen locker app are:

• Filtering of keys causing page reload and search overlay in Chrome when closing keyboard and case.
  • Built-in lock delay set to three seconds. Screen lock is cancelled if you open your case less than three seconds after you closed it.

Sadly I have not find a solution to wake up the screen when opening the case.

Edited by Slion
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Slion said:

Most interesting, I will need to take a closer look at that.

Though my main issue is to find a way to get notified when the case is opened and the screen is already lock.

Can you the trigger from the sensor when The case is opened? Or isn't it working when screen is off?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, FlyingAntero said:

Can you the trigger from the sensor when The case is opened? Or isn't it working when screen is off?

Once the screen is locked I can't get the notification that the case is opening anymore.

• Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, Slion said:

Once the screen is locked I can't get the notification that the case is opening anymore.

like i said, check WaveUp's source code, while its primary function is to wake the phone by waving over the sensor it also has 'pocket mode' which turns on the screen when taking the phone out of a pocket (or opening a case)... which works when the screen is off and locked.

it also has the function to lock the screen when the sensor is covered, but that requires special permissions. your app does this too, what permissions does that require?

Edited by SaiKo
  • Like 1
16 minutes ago, SaiKo said:

your app does this too, what permissions does that require?

To lock the screen properly an app needs to implement Accessibility Service and the user needs to turn it on. The function is called performGlobalAction I believe. See my code or one of my earlier post on that thread.

Using Sensor Test I could find the hall effect sensor for the keyboard but not the one for the case. I'm guessing we will have to wait for an update on that one.

In the meantime I tested WaveUp and that works really well so I'm guessing I should be able to use the proximity sensor to wake the device. @SaiKo Any noticeable impact on battery life when using WaveUp on your Pro1?

42 minutes ago, Slion said:

Using Sensor Test I could find the hall effect sensor for the keyboard but not the one for the case. I'm guessing we will have to wait for an update on that one.

In the meantime I tested WaveUp and that works really well so I'm guessing I should be able to use the proximity sensor to wake the device. @SaiKo Any noticeable impact on battery life when using WaveUp on your Pro1?

It is easy to find, it is near the end of the volume rocker. I have posted stuff showing the whereabouts above.

• Confused 1
2 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

It is easy to find, it is near the end of the volume rocker. I have posted stuff showing the whereabouts.

Physical I know where it is and it's working fine, we sorted that out a few days back. That was about programmatically finding it as the key handler won't work once the screen is off.

Edited by Slion
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Slion said:

Physical I know where it is and it's working fine, we sorted that out a few days back. That was about programmatically finding it as the key handler won't work once the screen is off.

Ah, that made more sense.... Most likely it is handled as a proximity sensor, And if we are unlucky it might not be marked for wake up.

https://developer.android.com/reference/android/hardware/Sensor#TYPE_PROXIMITY

https://developer.android.com/reference/android/hardware/Sensor#isWakeUpSensor()

But as the other Hall sensor IS clearly able to wake up the device, it seems unlikely that they are not both.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Most likely it is handled as a proximity sensor,

Nope the proximity sensor is something else, it's the guy turning off the screen when you put the phone to your ear.

Thanks to @SaiKo I was able to get the wake up logic to work nicely with the proximity sensor. Still it would be nice if they made that missing Hall Effect sensor available at some point. I'll probably publish that app tomorrow.

14 minutes ago, Slion said:

Nope the proximity sensor is something else, it's the guy turning off the screen when you put the phone to your ear.

Thanks to @SaiKo I was able to get the wake up logic to work nicely with the proximity sensor. Still it would be nice if they made that missing Hall Effect sensor available at some point. I'll probably publish that app tomorrow.

I know what the proximity sensor is ...

BUT they just MIGHT be exposing these two Hall sensors as "TYPE_PROXIMITY" (Note: TYPE), The reason to believe so is the binary type output we see in the FactoryKit test-program. And if you are looking for it as a TYPE_MAGNETIC_FIELD sensor, no wonder you can not find it.

• Like 1
  • phoebus2000 changed the title to Will Pro1 3D printer files for a case work with Pro1X?