• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just received an email update. “not likely to ship the pre-orders until early october”. Waiting is such sweet sorrow. My current phone is on its last legs! Hurry up guys!

But at the least we (finally) got official wording on what is going on. I was getting quite annoyed of having to rely on guesses and rumours.

Although fairly vague. What are licensing issues for “out of the box” experience? I don’t need my phone in a box. I’ll take the phone as it is right now!

Well as we do not know what license is missing, it is hard to say how's functioning or crippled it would be if shipped without that software. For what little we know it could be anything from the entire android to just the software for the FM-radio. But I guess it is something rather vital since they find its worth postponing.

Finally Fxtec wrote something and it seems that delay isn't because of Fxtec at all but because of external things. They really need someone to take a role of PR guy, even when it comes only to simply informing people because currently the communication is just insanely bad.

From the mail it seems that hardware and software is completely finished. I hope Fxtec will use this time to further improve keyboard software, mainly function key remapping and right alt(AltGr) for people buying QWERTY keyboards, especially because they said that quality in their priority. I don't mind any day-one update once I get it out of the box.

I hope that we will get phones early-October and not mid-October.

They do not want to ship until the "out-of-box"-experience is OK for them.

I approve of this attitude! Far too often we have products that are sent unfinished and then "ripen" at the customer (banana tactics). Therefore my respect for the honest and faithful to their own principles announcement.

I'm the opposite to be honest. Hardware is done? Okay, ship that stuff to me, I can flash the OS myself if that's required instead of a end-user-friendly OTA update.

Could even ask me if I wanted that in theory, since I'm supposed to get it as one of the first anyways... but well yeah, this is the part where I understand doing that would likely be a logistical nightmare.

Something I'm wondering though and I'll likely not get an answer is if these phones are still sitting in China. They probably are if this software has to be flashed yet as they wouldn't unpack them and do that from where they sent them out to the customers... yeah, no, that sounds insane. That factory is also close next week, so I'm really curious when the software will be done enough and the device actually ships to us at this point.

btw. we're still sitting here without any team members interacting with us. It was just some rather short update email. I want to love the device, but the communication is weak.

I’m relieved they posted an update confirming the delay. I don’t mind waiting another few weeks to receive the phone, although I hope this will be the final time it’s delayed. Let’s all be patient in the interim.

Don't get surprised, as they still have the option to use the term "late" October as "mid" September and "early" October are already used up. :)

I’m the opposite to be honest. Hardware is done? Okay, ship that stuff to me, I can flash the OS myself if that’s required instead of a end-user-friendly OTA update.

Could even ask me if I wanted that in theory, since I’m supposed to get it as one of the first anyways… but well yeah, this is the part where I understand doing that would likely be a logistical nightmare.

Could you imagine the logistical nightmare that would be, a few weeks is nothing at this point for a form factor we are all desiring.

we’re still sitting here without any team members interacting with us. It was just some rather short update email. I want to love the device, but the communication is weak.

Small team, they are doing better than we have seen with others, give them a break, we need to support them, be positive, it helps with their morale in getting this out, no need to play monday morning quarterback (~sorry for the US idiom)

Could you imagine the logistical nightmare that would be, a few weeks is nothing at this point for a form factor we are all desiring.

Interesting question, though you answered it yourself with the text your quoted. This was just a playful thread of thoughts.

Small team, they are doing better than we have seen with others, give them a break, we need to support them

I am supporting them. I gave me them money, some of it years ago (Keyboard Mod). I'm also telling people how cool this phone will be. I'm actually pretty calm, but can't sit there and applaud the current flow of information either.

As I said before, however, the effort of posting something along the lines "Sorry, there will be a delay. We've sent out an email to everyone with the details.", just to have any presence in this forum, is largely overblown. I'm not asking them to respond to everything here, but we're at 7 pages of worrying. These guys have a handy phone to type quickly on if they have 5 minutes of down time after all.

This isn't the only small team project I've gotten my money into. I know it can be very hard to put something like together. I probably also sound slightly more negative than I intend to. But even if it's just a little, I feel like the fx team recently spoke more to the press than any of their supporters (they already have our money after all, but still). And that's a little bit disheartening.

We'll all be happy people once we have the devices in our hands and the whole thing is over, for us at least. There's seemingly nothing in the way of this happening. After all it's just software missing, right? I sure hope so. This isn't the first delay and might not be the last.

And before I get told to go outside and do something else instead... I do that stuff too, no worries. Writing this up doesn't take that much of my free time.

1st, spring; then, end of summer; then mid-September; now the factory is on holiday so it's October, earliest - what will B the 'reason' for the next delay? suggestions pls?!

As others have said, better, more frequent, comms from F(x) themselves, esp. now they have our payment would be a start...

I hope they will be able to finish everything before next Chinese holiday will take effect on 1-7 October.

I think Pro1 should arrive before very early in October or second-third week, so practically mid-October.

(I remember they previously said early October or even a bit earlier, so they may count on that but did not want to say another date which should be modified later...)

So I really hope early October is a real expectation as shipping after around 30th of September will not take effect till about October 8-9.

I want to work with the phone as much as everyone else, but I understand that this needs to be an experience done right. The techblogs are having this phone squarely in their sights and if they completely trash the phone, you can be sure there won't be a Pro2. So even though it sucks (big time), I'd rather have them taking the time they need to get the product into our hands instead of rushing to a deadline that, in the end, will probably feel too rushed as well...

I want to work with the phone as much as everyone else, but I understand that this needs to be an experience done right. The techblogs are having this phone squarely in their sights and if they completely trash the phone, you can be sure there won’t be a Pro2. So even though it sucks (big time), I’d rather have them taking the time they need to get the product into our hands instead of rushing to a deadline that, in the end, will probably feel too rushed as well…

Exactly. It is rarely that a device get a second chance in the tech-blogs, so the thought of fixing stuff along the way, is a really dangerouos path, unless you already got a really strong brand with a good track record.

People here are absolutely right. Communication is not the best.

And yeah they somehow promised us the device earlier (Just because you write "we are planning" does not mean that you don't know what expectations you raise) and did not communicate us the delays soon enough (the last one has surely be known earlier, I think they wanted to do it after IFA, to not have the last delay in all the reviews). Furthermore nobody from the Team has posted here in a while and we have to scrap updates from the maemo forum (well not anymore...). So there is reason to be angry or sceptical, but I am not.

I've seen and experiences so many good communications which delivered a bad product in the end. I like the focus on the product. And a lot of people have seen the product which seems to come along great.

After all the design choice I dislike, the communication I dislike and the delay I dislike. This is still the device I want, and I still trust the company.

Don't forget this guy has presented the phone personally in many places. It was not some paid marketing dude, it was the owern. It was the person which will get blamed personally when the product sucks. It already started in the maemo forum despite the product is not here yet.

I am no fan boy. I would go to another company if there would be a better product. But if you want a keyboard slider, this is your only change since donkey years. And I am glad that it look like it is gonna be a great product.

So yeah they did errors, who doesn't. Yeah they should communicate more. But they seem to have more important stuff to do. Yeah it would not take a lot of time, but with a lot of pressure this can be an overwhelming task, especially for a nerd :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

As we are almost to early October, now as before i start seeing some talking about mid October and then November to be shipping date.

It is so disappointing! its gonna go on forever. and then will come November and we will talk about December and January.

And it is not a crowd funded project as some try to create misunderstanding. when we received the email asked to make payment that email specified that pay now to get it before October.

I am pretty tired of all this.

I have found another solution, i am going to buy Galaxy note 10 plus and the TECH21 EVO TYPE KEYBOARD CASE FOR GALAXY NOTE 10 PLUS which is now available. with this keyboard it will transform note 10 into this keyboard form factor. At least buying this wont take another six months to wait and see.

I have supported Fx team for pro1 for so long but there are some limits.