QWERTZ User Layout Setup

7 minutes ago, VaZso said:

Today @Anssi Hannula has accepted my pull request for Hungarian layout in FinQwerty and he also put page up / page down / home / end functions for fn+arrows for all layouts so every layouts will be improved a bit.

He told me I missed to include yellow combinations of some buttons in Hungarian layout, so I have also modified it so currently all yellow keys are available using alt+key combinations. That was part of my second pull request but now it is also included in FinQwerty.

He said he will release next version soon, so it may be available in Play Store after some days.
Hopefully before last stock of Pro1's are starting to arrive next week. 🙂

(And we get the pound we forgot too)

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For all the QWERTZ users, please set-up the physical keyboard layout after the initial setup. (Only needs to do this once) ADD (EskeRahn): During the initial set-up use the touch keyboard to ente

I can add one in the next FinQwerty version 🙂 Does the below layout look OK? Or should I perhaps swap Y/Z (if both are wanted by people here, I can also add both), or any other suggestions?

Yes, the current QWERTZ layout is different from a standard one (it was made by the community) So we currently put this layout under German. In the future we could expand it into other German-speaking

Posted Images

On 1/17/2020 at 4:13 AM, FBela said:

Thanks for the great amount of energy you put into it. I have a Qwerty version, but I'll try it anyway. Currently I try finQwerty US Intl. version, but  I ran into a problem: I can't type / sign under Termux. It works everywhere else, but not under Termux...  If @Anssi Hannula based on your version of hun_qwertz, could add a version of hun_qwerty to the next version of the finqwerty app, then it would be much easier to try it, because I wouldn't have to compile my own. Or is it enough just copy the kcm file somewhere in the phone? I haven't looked at this yet...

Termux ignores the keyboard layouts generally, as it has its own. This allows you to make a custom layout for termux, but sometimes requires making a custom layout for it to work correctly. Win some, lose some....

6 hours ago, silversolver said:

Termux ignores the keyboard layouts generally, as it has its own. 

I think this is not true.  FinQWERTY new version has just arrived, and it works in termux, too. In my opinion, only key combinations that are traditionally used in emacs mode will be overridden by termux. For example in FinQwerty US Intl.  CTRL-P would be /, but since emacs i using CTRL-P as previous, it is impossible to type / in termux with his layout. 

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, FBela said:

I think this is not true.  FinQWERTY new version has just arrived, and it works in termux, too. In my opinion, only key combinations that are traditionally used in emacs mode will be overridden by termux.

I agree, these combinations are basically also work well for me in Termux.

Moreover, fn+arrow combinations worked well under Termux but I had problems with it under Firefox for example, that is why I asked about an option to declare a function instead of fallback, and it was achievable by using "replace" term instead of "fallback", so it has solved the problem also under Firefox while it still works under Termux.

• Thanks 1
On 1/16/2020 at 10:29 PM, VaZso said:

My own keymap is not really interesting for others as it has a slightly modified layout while basically it is the same as "US. international" for QWERTY but national characters can be reached by fn and fn+shift (or fn + capslock) combinations so I can also use it in a terminal and write e-mails/messages using every characters I should use.

I tried the Hungarian layout in the official app. It is working fine, but it seems not usable for me. In worst case I will create my own layout as you did for yourself. I would prefer that all the letters and signs on the keyboard work where they are printed, additionally the Hungarian accented letters can be accessed on the keys where there was nothing else with fn originally. If it works, then I will do the same layout modification for my Gemini PDA, too...

I made a Swiss - French keyboard that I sent to Anssi Hannula (along with money beer).

This could also benefit others as I tried to be as standard as possible, there are a lot of special characters not often used but I put them anyway as they are in the Swiss - French layout.

CH-FR 1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • 2 months later...

Not sure if it was reported already, but when having selected the German layout for the physical keyboard in the system settings, yellow arrow + some keys does not work as expected.

arrow+l gives ? instead of '

arrow+ö gives ö instead of \

arrow+ß gives ß instead of ?

arrow+e gives e instead of €

arrow+r gives r instead of °

• Sad 2
13 hours ago, Tsunero said:

Any app that would let me create a completely custom layout for the PKB?

Take a look at Finqwerty for example.
You may modify it (as I did for my own) to have a custom layout or simply edit one of the KCMs and use the name of that specific layout as your custom one.

That program does not run constantly but registers these layouts to be available in system.
So basically it works the same way as any other layouts, no need of any special programs - I mean it is the same as if F(x)tec would put this file to the filesystem and tell the system that its name is Tsunero's custom keyboard.

Edited by VaZso
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
6 hours ago, VaZso said:

Take a look at Finqwerty for example.
You may modify it (as I did for my own) to have a custom layout or simply edit one of the KCMs and use the name of that specific layout as your custom one.

That program does not run constantly but registers these layouts to be available in system.
So basically it works the same way as any other layouts, no need of any special programs - I mean it is the same as if F(x)tec would put this file to the filesystem and tell the system that its name is Tsunero's custom keyboard.

Thanks! But how do I actually go about editing? With notepad? Also I just have to drop the file in the system and it will see it among the options afterwards?

3 hours ago, Tsunero said:

Thanks! But how do I actually go about editing? With notepad? Also I just have to drop the file in the system and it will see it among the options afterwards?

The source code you see at GitHub can be loaded by Android Studio and you can modify, then compile it.
If you only modify a .kcm file then you will see its original name but when you use it, it will be your own layout, but the original name also can be modified in an .xml file.

Basically the .apk file is a compressed image (.zip), so theoretically you can modify its internals - you may open an existing .kcm then you can modify it, but I don't know if Android will accept this modified file.

You can not just drop the file into the filesystem unless you have root access, but another file also should be modified which contains a name and reference to this file.

Practically, Finqwerty does a similar thing but it doesn't need root access.

• Thanks 2

@VaZso

Thanks, sadly this is beyond my abilities so I have to get used to what's provided by Finqwerty.

Basically what I wanted was to have every key correspond to everything to get the Hungarian characters except modify a few because some of the defaults don't make sense to me. I also thought some characters could be set up with a long press but it doesn't seem to be a thing on the keyboard at all. I couldn't get Japanese working either, all I want it is to convert from latin letters but they just remain latin letters hm.

9 hours ago, Tsunero said:

@VaZso

Thanks, sadly this is beyond my abilities so I have to get used to what's provided by Finqwerty.

Basically what I wanted was to have every key correspond to everything to get the Hungarian characters except modify a few because some of the defaults don't make sense to me. I also thought some characters could be set up with a long press but it doesn't seem to be a thing on the keyboard at all. I couldn't get Japanese working either, all I want it is to convert from latin letters but they just remain latin letters hm.

You may try to rename .apk to .zip and open it using WinZip, WinRAR or Total Commander for example.
Inside, there is a directory /res/raw, you can see the .kcm files there.

For example, you can find the Hungarian layout in pro1_qwerty_hun_1.kcm or in pro1_qwertz_hun_1.kcm depending on the physical layout of your phone.
The difference is the mapping at the top of qwertz version.

If you look inside these files, their format is simple.
For example, if you modify in "key 7" section at "label, base" the written "7" to "8", then save this file inside this .zip archive, then you have modified the layout and you will have a 1,2,3,4,5,6,8,8,9-type number-row. 🙂

Now rename this .zip file back to .apk and try to install it to your device - I am not sure if it works this way, but it may - it worth a try...

You also have to enable installing applications from unknown sources if I remember well.

Anyway, I have tried to put Hungarian characters to their relatively correct positions in Finqwerty, but there are some keys missing and maybe "ő" had a strange position because of it.
For myself, I use a completely different layout - for example, "ú" is at arrow+q position, which is similar to what I used in my N900 earlier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 5 weeks later...
On 11/14/2019 at 5:31 PM, Waxberry said:

For all the QWERTZ users, please set-up the physical keyboard layout after the initial setup. (Only needs to do this once)

ADD (EskeRahn): During the initial set-up use the touch keyboard to enter Wifi and account credentials,  until the wizard suggests you to configure the physical keyboard at the end.

If you skipped the set-up by the wizard then please go to hardware keyboard setting. This can go from drop down menu when after boot, or Setting - System - Languages and Input - Physical keyboard

For QWERTZ user, please click "Setup Keyboard Layouts" and select German

For QWERTY user, please remain unselected (default), please do not select US or UK English, please uncheck all. (In fact you don't need to do anything it's "default" by default)

de1.png

de2.png

The Keyboard Works fine except the "?" doenst work for me. Everything else works.

What can i do to fix that?

Regards

1 hour ago, Bengelator said:

The Keyboard Works fine except the "?" doenst work for me. Everything else works.

What can i do to fix that?

Regards

Download Finqwerty and select Finqwerty German QWERTZ as layout, it solves that problem. 

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Dobrý den mám dotaz na klávesnici mám posunuté znaky W = Q, E = W, R = E, S = A, D = S, F = D, X = X, C = X, V = C a dál to pokračuje jen horní numerická řada je správná i v českém nastavení, našel jsem tu možnost nastavení FinQwerty F (x) tec Pro 1, česky pro fyziku, US QWERTY ale tu v nastavení nemám jen český android, jak mám problém vyřešit?

Edited by David Kalinič
  • Sad 1
5 hours ago, David Kalinič said:

Dobrý den mám dotaz na klávesnici mám posunuté znaky W = Q, E = W, R = E, S = A, D = S, F = D, X = X, C = X, V = C a dál to pokračuje jen horní numerická řada je správná i v českém nastavení, našel jsem tu možnost nastavení FinQwerty F (x) tec Pro 1, česky pro fyziku, US QWERTY ale tu v nastavení nemám jen český android, jak mám problém vyřešit?

Please write in English here, generally we don't understand Czech language only by Google Translate...

Anyway, I think you bought a QWERTZ device and selected Czech language.
The basic keyboard of Pro1 is QWERTY which is shifted and that is why the shifted layout you experience.

Download FinQwerty which also has Czech layout for QWERTZ version of Pro1 and set it as your layout.
It is not an active program but it registers appropriate files and it will work the way as any stock layouts.

So FinQwerty is what you need.

• Thanks 3
12 hours ago, David Kalinič said:

Som @VaZso allerede har svaret bedes du skrive på engelsk.Det bliver noget frygteligt rod hvis vi alle skriver på vores eget sprog.

Or in short: English Please!

• 1 month later...

Just installed LineageOS and FinQwerty. I chose Pro1 German for QWERTZ.
However, I am not able to use the yellow characters like ? or @. Seems to me that the small yellow arrow keys don't work at all.

Somebody knows how to fix that?

50 minutes ago, Chris2 said:

However, I am not able to use the yellow characters like ? or @. Seems to me that the small yellow arrow keys don't work at all.

FinQwerty only works with stock, not with LOS.

On 8/4/2020 at 8:31 PM, Chris2 said:

I had same issue, you must go in system - advanced options - Keyboard and then :

Layout : qwertz

Custom keymap : ON

so it works perfect for me

• Thanks 3