On the pre-production status

4 hours ago, agent008 said:

Being a south american client, I wonder if my pro1 will be shipped directly from Hong Kong..? Or will it go through the US first? Order# in the 15XXX's, but no Indiegogo and took maybe a couple days to make payment.

Thanks

I don't know how many Canadians bought a Pro1 like me. 😏

I asked yesterday about the situation for my order, their response doesn't tell if my order will actually be shipped directly from Hong Kong, but they are looking into this option. Maybe for South America they might choose this option also.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just had to create an account to chime in as a voice of reason here, because there is some seriously toxic entitlement going on in this thread. I, as I'm sure pretty much everyone else who actu

Thanks for pointing out before the mass panic :). Corrected to January as it was meant.

Some pages ago during December I requested a refund for preorder, and decided to wait till FxTec could actually deliver. Everything has been processed in a friendly and timely manner :-). What I can a

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Hook said:

Why?  As far as I know there is no operational definition for a batch being a precise number of units.  You can have a very big batch.

I didn't say anything about a batch needing to be a precise number of units, and I didn't say a batch can't be very big. I don't know why you bring that up, did you misquote somebody?

My point was that the whole point of batches is to sent not everything at once, if you're going to sent everything at once it's not longer a batch. By only doing 1 extremely small batch you're effectively not doing batches either, since effectively people are getting the phones at the same time since the extremely small group is negligible.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Zamasu said:

I didn't say anything about a batch needing to be a precise number of units, and I didn't say a batch can't be very big. I don't know why you bring that up, did you misquote somebody?

My point was that the whole point of batches is to sent not everything at once, if you're going to sent everything at once it's not longer a batch. By only doing 1 extremely small batch you're effectively not doing batches either, since effectively people are getting the phones at the same time since the extremely small group is negligible.

For the US, it will sorta work out that way just because customs blocked the first batch.

46 minutes ago, Hook said:

Why?  As far as I know there is no operational definition for a batch being a precise number of units.  You can have a very big batch.

My view on this is that production (factory) batch size ≠ shipment batch size. Makes sense because the larger quantities you ship, the greater the savings. If you consolidate, say a whole 20' container full of Pro1's, you will pay much less for shipping (from Shenzhen or wherever the factory is to the first warehouse - Hong Kong?) than if you keep sending small batches every day.

Given the now-current deadline of Dec 20th, it does make great economical sense to consolidate as many (production) batches as possible and ship at the latest (or, to be on the safe side, second to latest, maybe third to latest) date that enables the Dec 20th deadline to be met.

Maybe we second batchers (I'm believing I am part of this group) might end up getting our devices shipped almost at the same time as the "general availability" orders due to this logistical "economics of scale".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Well not quite, being within the EU. There are (as I understand it) three groups: EU, US, 'Rest of the world'.

True, but my point was that in respect to China or Hong Kong Customs, everyone (except HK and Chinese customers) would fit in the "rest of world" pigeonhole. Given that for any other country there are export formalities that must be dealt with.

Edited by agent008
1 hour ago, agent008 said:

Maybe we second batchers (I'm believing I am part of this group) might end up getting our devices shipped almost at the same time as the "general availability" orders due to this logistical "economics of scale".

Which is something that still kind of bugs me. As an IGG backer I was promised to get my device before anyone else. However, it seems like this will only hold up for the few in the first batch... of which we don't have a known size, but I don't think I could count up more than 10 users who mentioned getting theirs online. Silent ones are likely more, but it is a small number.
I don't wish anyone to get their device deliberately delayed further, but splitting the shipments smaller would've been a nice gesture if this is really the case.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, elvissteinjr said:

Which is something that still kind of bugs me. As an IGG backer I was promised to get my device before anyone else. However, it seems like this will only hold up for the few in the first batch... of which we don't have a known size, but I don't think I could count up more than 10 users who mentioned getting theirs online. Silent ones are likely more, but it is a small number.
I don't wish anyone to get their device deliberately delayed further, but splitting the shipments smaller would've been a nice gesture if this is really the case.

I've gotten my Pro1 seven days ago. My sn is fxtec000098.

The one on ebay has sn xxx2, so there probably were about 100 devices sent out.

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, d said:

I've gotten my Pro1 seven days ago. My sn is fxtec000098.

The one on ebay has sn xxx2, so there probably were about 100 devices sent out.

We have seen images of the first batch, and assuming one layer only, it was 120. If more than one layer, well you do the calculus....

Some of those got caught in some US customs paper-hell, we do not know how many.

6 hours ago, foxfreejack said:

I don't know how many Canadians bought a Pro1 like me. 😏

I asked yesterday about the situation for my order, their response doesn't tell if my order will actually be shipped directly from Hong Kong, but they are looking into this option. Maybe for South America they might choose this option also.

I can only hope our Canadian orders will not be routed through the US...

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, jjarmasz said:

I can only hope our Canadian orders will not be routed through the US...

I hope not, don't want the Canadians (or anyone for that matter) having to suffer because of our shitty customs.

Edited by ksal95
  • Like 3
7 hours ago, Guy said:

This company is inept - if I ran my business like this, I would be out of business! ( a customer who place a pre order and paid In July 19, and can’t get a straight answer re delivery of the order.)

If that is the case, you're not offering anything any better than what the next guy is offering. Starting a business and launching a new product are difficult, and things happen. When your product is leaps and bounds better than anything else available, people will be more patient with difficulties. That said, yes, consumers are demanding whiny brats who have tantrums when they don't get their candy on time. Let's not forget that we're discussing a luxury item here, not our daily bread.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

As someone from the first batch: FFS people, the OS on the device is a bit buggy [I haven't tried the installed Android as I don't want to use pure Android], there are currently no alternatives to 'normal' Android [UbuntuTouch would require an older version of Android] except for SFOS and that is even buggier, so why do you stress so much about this? I currently have a brick at home that at best can be used as a paper weight. It will be weeks before SFOS is usable (probably) and we have no idea when and if LineageOS will have a port out and how buggy that one is going to be.

So just calm your tits everyone and chill. You'll get the device and the later you get it the better your experience will be.

Edited by SteffenWi
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, SteffenWi said:

As someone from the first batch: FFS people, the OS on the device is buggy, there are currently no alternatives to 'normal' Android except for SFOS and that is even buggier, so why do you stress so much about this? I currently have a brick at home that at best can be used as a paper weight. It will be weeks before SFOS is usable (probably) and we have no idea when and if LineageOS will have a port out and how buggy that one is going to be.

So just calm your tits everyone and chill. You'll get the device and the later you get it the better your experience will be.

Even so you are partly right, you also have into account that more devices out there could also mean more people working on the ports 😉

• Like 1
Just now, Kabbone said:

Even so you are partly right, you also have into account that more devices out there could also mean more people working on the ports 😉

Fair point. However, I was under the impression that SFOS devs had Pro1 devices for quite some time now, same as the Lineage people, based on twitter comments and such. As for UbuntuTouch the issue wouldn't be solved by having a Pro1, they have to update their code to support Android 9 and newer. For whatever reason they are stuck in 2016.

• Like 1
On 11/1/2019 at 11:06 AM, matf said:

Coincidentally, my Xperia X Compact running Sailfish died last night. Red blinking LED of the death. Websearches suggest a dead battery that is not charging up anymore. No success with recovery mode or fastboot. I am back to stone age until I get the tracking number. 😆 It's funny how I thought I was at the apex of the pain while waiting for my Pro¹, and realized this morning that I was still far from it. 😄

Thought it couldn't get worse. Was wrong. :] My backup Jolla C is giving up too after I updated OKBoard on a pre 3.0 SFOS version (I couldn't stand the virtual keyboard anymore, had to use OKBoard to make it faster), which seems to have borked all virtual keyboards on the phone, including keypads, including the one to type the unlock code at boot. As a consequence, my Jolla C is now unusable too and I cannot ssh into it because I cannot unlock it to enable Wifi or pick Developper mode as USB connection type. I'm running out of backup phones. :>

Edited by matf
  • Haha 1
51 minutes ago, matf said:

Thought it couldn't get worse. Was wrong. :] My backup Jolla C is giving up too after I updated OKBoard on a pre 3.0 SFOS version (I couldn't stand the virtual keyboard anymore, had to use OKBoard to make it faster), which seems to have borked all virtual keyboards on the phone, including keypads, including the one to type the unlock code at boot. As a consequence, my Jolla C is now unusable too and I cannot ssh into it because I cannot unlock it to enable Wifi or pick Developper mode as USB connection type. I'm running out of backup phones. :>

From older SonyEricsson Xperia's I remember one of the Staff suggesting a user to attach the device to a SLOW charging port, like e.g. an old 0.5A 5V charger or a PC, and leave it overnight. Could be worth a try, 🙂

• Like 1
4 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

From older SonyEricsson Xperia's I remember one of the Staff suggesting a user to attach the device to a SLOW charging port, like e.g. an old 0.5A 5V charger or a PC, and leave it overnight. Could be worth a try, 🙂

Unfortunately I tried that already. I'm currently doing a factory reset of my Jolla C, since this one can still be charged. This is an old phone so it was easier to trigger the factory reset trick, considering that if there is any unsaved data/media on it, I already forgot about it, but I still hope there was not something that needed to be saved. :< No µSD at hand to do a manual backup, and no SSH possible to reinstall Silica because the phone was turned off with device lock on, which makes me unable to fully boot the phone now since I cannot type in the code, and hence I cannot reach a boot state in which I can ssh into the system.

Edited by matf
  • Sad 1
On 11/26/2019 at 7:08 AM, kthxbye said:

FYI asking for a refund will result in all sorts of proposals, including "prioritizing" your order. At that point I just wasn't comfortable letting them hold onto my money anymore.  Some of the shenanigans sound like cash flow issues. 

It wasn't too bad from my experience. I got one reply just now asking if I was sure since devices are now shipping, and: "The second batch due to arrive by the end of this month will include your order." (I've given up trying to decipher such statements from FXtec.)

But once I confirmed, they processed the refund straight away.

Edited by glumreaper
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1