Games - What do you play on your Pro1?

It seems there's no dedicated thread about gaming on Pro1 so here we go. Please, share your favourite games you play, whether your games utilize the keyboard anyhow, how's the landscape support etc.

I'm not regular gamer but like to get to games occasionally. Mostly retro gaming or emulation of older systems (GB, GBA, SNES, SMS, PS1, PSP) or games of my child- and teenagehood (80-90s era). RPGs being my favourite genre, I discovered just recently that TES Morrowind runs nicely via OpenMW (or better with OMW from F-Droid store) on Android. And Pro1 is perfect with the keyboard. I didn't try to remap camera key on system level to some regular key_code key yet. If that's possible, then it's greatly placed action key 🙂

Various emulators run nicely as well but until the issue with multiple keys pressed concurently is sorted these are not really usable. 

I've also installed BGII Enhanced Edition, running fine, keyboard shortcuts sometimes work, sometimes they don't. Apart from that game is nicely playable with just touchscreen controls.

So I'm curious what your favourite titles are and what do you like about them (nostalgia, gameplay, graphics, atmosphere, ...).

Edited by cube48
  • Like 2
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let's see, there are a number of games I play on the Pro1   Where Is the Setting Game How Do I Make This Stop Search Game What Does This Do Challenge The Volume Game Puzzl

So... This happened :)))  

Since the keyboard driver is now fixed I can play whatever I want. Most likely I will stick with nostalgic platform games like Sonic and Mario.  

Posted Images

Yes, it is very good device for emulators but I've noticed strange behaviour: in some emulators (i.e. Super Retro 16) when i push any button (which I previously mapped to certain pak button) the whole screen is highlighted, like it was text or image in website and is coloured in blue. Not every emulator behave like that.

I don't have the Pro1 yet, but I'm looking forward on playing Age of Empires with it. It worked fine but relatively slow on other keyboard sliders (Moto Droid 4, Photon Q), so it should really be much fun.

Otherwise I don't really play games on the phone anymore since they are bloated with ads or purchase options (pay to progress). I'd prefer to pay 20-60€ and have a game to play instead of having to pay unlimited amounts of money to get realistic progress.

The only exceptions were Exiled Kingdoms and Andor's Trail, both RPG games.

Lastly, I'll try Terraria on Android and Starbound, Starbound would need to be on an Emulator since it's not yet ported, so I'm not expecting much.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, itsdevilslettuce said:

TemTem thanks to Steam remote play. 👍

... I got my modded switch for all the emulator based games. 😉

How is the data usage with remote playing? I can only imagine using this with wifi because you have a steady video stream (and high latency).

2 hours ago, itsdevilslettuce said:

TemTem thanks to Steam remote play. 👍

Bet me to it! Temtem is fantastic on this device. Make sure you install FinQwerty so that Esc works properly.

I've just been using the base keybindings though and the game itself doesn't have a way of changing them.

1 hour ago, SchattengestaIt said:

How is the data usage with remote playing? I can only imagine using this with wifi because you have a steady video stream (and high latency).

I haven't tried it via mobile data ... yet. I got unlimited data so I honestly don't pay attention to my data usage.

41 minutes ago, Serolfic said:

Bet me to it! Temtem is fantastic on this device. Make sure you install FinQwerty so that Esc works properly.

I've just been using the base keybindings though and the game itself doesn't have a way of changing them.

you're a life saver! I noticed that keybindings bug too. Hope the game is updated often.

Right now, the main problem with dos & console games is that keyboard driver not passing thru key combinations correctly for all keys.  Netman wrote a fix, some of us (including me) have tested it, it works good and solves all that.  It's already implemented in Sailfish, and should be coming to OTA & Lineage soon...

For native android games with keyboard, there's always supertux.  You can disable the sdl overlay and configure keymap however you like - if I recall correctly it'll even take the camera button, it definately takes the sym key....   but until key chording is fixed, most games arent really playable easily.  I did post a way to remap that allows you to play with the current keyboard limitations:

https://community.fxtec.com/topic/2121-apps-that-works-great-with-a-real-keyboard-and-in-landscape/?do=findComment&comment=37128

And, for those of you already running sailfish, if you happen to want to playy supertux, I actually built and packaged the latest version directly on Pro¹ and put it on openrepos.  Much newer version than those Android folks are stuck with 😉 

https://openrepos.net/content/enigma9o7/supertux

Edited by Craig
  • Like 1

Some nice tips are popping up, thanks guys!

13 hours ago, itsdevilslettuce said:

A friend of mine tried to push me into modded Switch too. Nearly got me with Zelda BoW but I'm waiting for Pyra and pulling out Pandora when in the mood for emulators. Still it will be nice to have that right in the phone with real buttons.

23 hours ago, cube48 said:

Please, share your favourite games you play🙂

Let's see, there are a number of games I play on the Pro1

1. Where Is the Setting Game
  2. How Do I Make This Stop Search Game
  3. What Does This Do Challenge
  4. The Volume Game Puzzle
  5. The Notification Light Game
  6. Holding The Pro Russian Roulette
  7. Can You Hear Me Challenge

I find new games to play EVERY time I use it.
It's such fun :D

• Haha 14

Kind of obvious, but AI Dungeon 2 works great because you type everything! 😁😁

Stardew Valley is okay. It supports the default keybindings of the PC version, so you can use the keyboard for most things... except actually interacting, so I've been using on-screen buttons for that. The modding API (SMAPI) has been ported to Android though so there might be a way to have full customisable keyboard controls.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Back in the days, when my main phone was Droid 4, I was using this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.locnet.gamekeyboard2. It was perfect solution for hardware keyboard -it can spoof games that physical controller is actually connected to device so you can use build-in keyboard as gamepad in almost every game. Sadly it's not working on newer android. There is also app called Tincore Keymapper but it doesn't recognize lot of keys. Maybe you know any better solution...?

20 minutes ago, FlyingAntero said:

I just tried PUBG first Time and won. There must be some magic on Pro1.

Screenshot_20200306-182802.thumb.png.25762fd58c30ea241af31660e2632b3d.png

Maybe you were matched with other people on smartphone but the keyboard gave you an edge over them?

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Just figured I'd post an update about my TemTem adventures ... have been "playing" (and by that I mean breeding and a few random battles) at work. It is great for moments when my work PC is busy rendering 3D models.

Seeings as I have an 'unlimited' data plan, I've been playing over T-Mobile LTE. Its been mostly smooth and looks pretty damn good in battles. Sometimes in the over-world it gets choppy but its manageable. Sound on the other hand is total trash. I'm pretty sure its due to whatever causes crackling within some other apps. I for one have the sound off because I listen to music while I work, which doesn't crackle through Plex.