LineageOS 18.1 Official Release for Pro1

On 4/12/2021 at 8:42 AM, order#10248 said:

There seems to be some TWRP ... see
https://community.fxtec.com/topic/3005-ubuntu-touch-os-for-fxtec-pro1/

Preparation:

TWRP for Pro1: Download here https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IgUjxEKV5MU_3cRkNCyGc-YpRkUQ3xHh (Credit to Mccreary)

Please do not use the Sailfish OS TWRP build for any purpose other than for installing Sailfish OS. It has a bug that will force you to factory reset if you ever boot it on a Pro1 with an encrypted filesystem.

• Thanks 2
  • Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, just one last update on that slightly off-topic discussion from few weeks ago: Following @Sean McCreary's suggestions, I was indeed able to build an up-to-date (unofficial) LOS 16.0. It

As much as I enjoy the fact that LineageOS on the Pro1 seems to be alive and well, I am puzzled by the practice of removing previous major releases from the build systems as soon as a new version is m

Its purpose is to bring the tap-insensitive display borders back from too wide to normal after a display replacement. If you need a display replacement and you get one from any other source than

Posted Images

To me all works fine except

- the screen previews when going through task list is wrong when in landscape; it's just a cut of the tasks' portrait display. this worked fine in17.1

- battery seems to drain about 50% quicker (this is my third day of 18.1)

On 4/11/2021 at 8:48 AM, Hook said:

There must be some way to get the security updates into older releases of Lineage.   My old old Samsung Galaxy Tab S is still on unofficial Lineage 14.1, maintained my Dark Existence on XDA and continues to get current security patches.  This is obviously not Lineage doing this, but it suggests the patches can be obtained and compiled into the OS.

So the question (the answer to which is way beyond my pay grade) is can this be done for Lineage 16?  Is there a source for the security patches or is the  XDA dev extracting them from later versions of Lineage or...

For reference:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-7-1-2-unofficial-lineageos-14-1-sm-t800.3545080/

https://download.exynos5420.com/LineageOS-14.1-Deathly/chagallwifi/

Several older branches are patched each month from the Android Security Bulletins on an unofficial basis, but the LineageOS project only makes official builds for one branch at a time for each device. You can use the updated branches to build a (mostly) patched version of 16.0 or 17.1 for the Pro1 by following the instructions for building your own images:

https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/pro1/build

These monthly updates do not include any new kernel patches, however, or any fixes for the pre-compiled libraries (a.k.a. the 'vendor security patch level'). For a sample ASB update (April 5th for 16.0) see:

https://review.lineageos.org/q/topic:"P_asb_2021-04"+(status:open OR status:merged)

Note that you can't install your own builds over the top of an official build unless you change the signing keys. See the section under 'Changing Keys' here:

https://wiki.lineageos.org/signing_builds.html

You would need to migrate from official to test-keys to install your own build without a factory reset.

• Thanks 3
17 hours ago, Sean McCreary said:

[...] You can use the updated branches to build a (mostly) patched version of 16.0 or 17.1 for the Pro1 by following the instructions [...]

From what I read I thought this should be possible, but in lack of experience I wasn't sure. 

Many thanks for clarifiying this, as well as the problem of the signing keys when overwriting an official image by a self-built one.

If I had a spare Pro1 as testing device, I would probably try to bake my own LOS 16 immediately. Unfortunately, I have only the one I use as my daily phone, and there is a realistic chance I will f**k things up at the first few attempts. So I still hesitate ...

Edited by claude0001
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, claude0001 said:

If I had a spare Pro1 as testing device, I would probably try to bake my own LOS 16 immediately. Unfortunately, I have only the one I use as my daily phone, and there is a realistic chance I will f**k things up at the first few attempts. So I still hesitate ...

Just an idea: Find a different cheap phone (possibly used with broken display) that also supports LineageOS, and try to build roms for that. when you feel comfortable doing that, you could switch to your Pro1

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, EskeRahn said:

Find a different cheap phone (possibly used with broken display)

Or an Elephone U Pro with intact display, then at least the display could serve as a spare for the Pro1 😉

(That said, I just had a quick look and didn't find any used ones, only a few new ones for 300+ €, and stock Android doesn't seem to go beyond Android 8...)

• Like 1

So I finally set up my Pro1 to use as my main phone last weekend.  Previously it had mostly sat locked away in between experimentations with LineageOS 16.0, then my own builds of 17.1 with MicroG (not to mention trying to make my own silicone phone case, that did not go well), but now I just use the 18.1 MicroG builds.  My Droid 4 has now been retired, as has the Moto Z Play that I bought for use with the keyboard mod that never was (migrating 2 phones worth of apps/data was a big effort I don't want to go through again).  It's almost a weird feeling having a modern phone that doesn't have a 5-10s delay to do stuff, and no buggy behaviour that I've had to learn to live with (can't have BT and Wifi together, turning off tethering while a client is connected restarts the phone, etc).

So far I haven't run into previously mentioned issues; bluetooth, VoLTE and call quality all seems fine.  Though there are a few rough edges:

- When I type something on the physical keyboard and switch to virtual keyboard to add an emoji, the virtual keyboard doesn't appear.  I work around this by temporarily switching apps and reselecting, and they keyboard shows up..  Also the AOSP keyboard doesn't seem to have gesture typing options (not sure if it will show up if I just add the libs).

- I had a problem where the touchscreen was completely unresponsive and I couldn't unlock the phone.  In the end I held the power button down until the phone restarted and it hasn't happened since

- The power menu in 18.1 has really regressed compared to previous versions.  No easy option to enter aeroplane mode, no screenshot option, no DND mode, etc. 

- The new music app is a great improvement, except for the fact that searching has been removed.  It would have been nice for that to be stated somewhere in the Lineage blocg (i.e the one where they mentioned the UI redesign), instead of having to dig it up in the Git repo's commit history.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
47 minutes ago, Noob said:

So I finally set up my Pro1 to use as my main phone last weekend.  Previously it had mostly sat locked away in between experimentations with LineageOS 16.0, then my own builds of 17.1 with MicroG (not to mention trying to make my own silicone phone case, that did not go well), but now I just use the 18.1 MicroG builds.  My Droid 4 has now been retired, as has the Moto Z Play that I bought for use with the keyboard mod that never was (migrating 2 phones worth of apps/data was a big effort I don't want to go through again).  It's almost a weird feeling having a modern phone that doesn't have a 5-10s delay to do stuff, and no buggy behaviour that I've had to learn to live with (can't have BT and Wifi together, turning off tethering while a client is connected restarts the phone, etc).

So far I haven't run into previously mentioned issues; bluetooth, VoLTE and call quality all seems fine.  Though there are a few rough edges:

- When I type something on the physical keyboard and switch to virtual keyboard to add an emoji, the virtual keyboard doesn't appear.  I work around this by temporarily switching apps and reselecting, and they keyboard shows up..  Also the AOSP keyboard doesn't seem to have gesture typing options (not sure if it will show up if I just add the libs).

- I had a problem where the touchscreen was completely unresponsive and I couldn't unlock the phone.  In the end I held the power button down until the phone restarted and it hasn't happened since

- The power menu in 18.1 has really regressed compared to previous versions.  No easy option to enter aeroplane mode, no screenshot option, no DND mode, etc. 

- The new music app is a great improvement, except for the fact that searching has been removed.  It would have been nice for that to be stated somewhere in the Lineage blocg (i.e the one where they mentioned the UI redesign), instead of having to dig it up in the Git repo's commit history.

Can you share a photo of the new power menu? I remember that the power menu regressed from Nougat to Oreo, which made me stay on Nougat for a long time on the previous phone.

15 hours ago, Noob said:

Yes they (Google) done a wondeful job messing that one up!!! Though Aeroplane mode can be handled through notification bar pull down when not locked.

2 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Yes they done a wondeful job messing that one up!!! Though Aeroplane mode can be handled through notification bar pull down when not locked.

To be fair, that's Android 11 that messed that up.  Lineage just seems to be using the same setup rather than modifying it.  At least you can still get the full reset menu (system, Recovery, Bootloader).

• Thanks 2
On 4/21/2021 at 12:16 AM, marmistrz said:

Can you share a photo of the new power menu? I remember that the power menu regressed from Nougat to Oreo, which made me stay on Nougat for a long time on the previous phone.

Here is a screenshot. According to Reddit discussion the screenshot option does appear for some phones (not sure why some phones and not others), but aside from screenshots in 14.1 I remember being able to toggle DND, aeroplane mode, ring/vibrate.

Screenshot_20210422-111725_Bromite.png

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

Wow, that looks terrible. Seems like you should be able to add options to it according to this article? Though it mentions a three dots button, which I'm not seeing in your screenshot. 
This is like Windows 8 all over again, why make it huge and occupy the whole screen? The small 4 options on the side in LineageOS 16 were great. 

• Like 1

Anyone else here having a very bad reception with LOS18?

I can't even do phonecalls inside my house (I do remember last year I had similar issues, probably with LOS17).

With AICP it works perfectly fine even deep inside the house, LOS18 doesn't even work reliable standing right at an open Windows.

2 hours ago, EvilDragon said:

Anyone else here having a very bad reception with LOS18?

I can't even do phonecalls inside my house (I do remember last year I had similar issues, probably with LOS17).

With AICP it works perfectly fine even deep inside the house, LOS18 doesn't even work reliable standing right at an open Windows.

Yes I have very bad call quality... it's very muffled. I'm currently on LOS 18.1
If AICP performs better I may move to that :(

On 4/22/2021 at 8:24 AM, Zamasu said:

Wow, that looks terrible. Seems like you should be able to add options to it according to this article? Though it mentions a three dots button, which I'm not seeing in your screenshot. 
This is like Windows 8 all over again, why make it huge and occupy the whole screen? The small 4 options on the side in LineageOS 16 were great. 

...and with MindTheGapps installed an even huger Pay-tile is added, and you can not even remove it, it seems...🤮

And yes much like Win8 replace a usefull menu with ugly and impractical tiles.

3 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

...and with MindTheGapps installed an even huger Pay-tile is added, and you can not even remove it, it seems...🤮

I have removed it but couldn't remember how. Had to google it:

Go to Settings -> System -> Gestures -> Power Menu

There you can deactivate cards and tickets.

• Thanks 3
1 hour ago, Wheeljack said:

I have removed it but couldn't remember how. Had to google it:

Go to Settings -> System -> Gestures -> Power Menu

There you can deactivate cards and tickets.

That's also where you can select advanced restart to get the full restart menu when you hit restart button.

• Thanks 3
On 4/9/2021 at 12:59 PM, claude0001 said:

In LineageOS 16 I could vastly improve the locking speed by the following edits in /system/vendor/etc/gps.conf:

[...]
XTRA_SERVER_1=http://xtra1.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin
XTRA_SERVER_2=http://xtra2.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin
XTRA_SERVER_3=http://xtra3.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin
[...]
XTRA_VERSION_CHECK=1
[...]
NTP_SERVER=europe.pool.ntp.org
[...]
INTERMEDIATE_POS=1
[..]
SUPL_HOST=supl.vodafone.com
SUPL_PORT=7275
[...]

I am also in Europe (Germany) and at times could not get a fix at all (even after waiting for hours) with the default settings of LineageOS 16. Since I made that edit, GPS fixes are very fast.

Note that the "INTERMEDIATE_POS" bit is optional: It causes the location service to report even very early position estimates based on mobile network towers only. That estimate can however be wrong by many kilometers, so not all people like it. I find the option helpful if you travel a lot and often switch on the GPS very far from the last fix.

As you may have guessed, you need root access for this hack. Also, remember that you need to remount / read-writable temporarily. The config will probably not survive OTA updates, so better make a backup once you have found a setting that works for you. 

Maybe send a pull request to the lineage team with the fix?  

1 hour ago, _DW_ said:

Maybe send a pull request to the lineage team with the fix?  

Sorry, I won't. As I wrote several times in this thread, I believe that having AGPS disabled is actually a sane default.

Some might choose LineageOS specifically for privacy reasons, so I think it is better to have AGPS as an opt-in feature, even if that means one needs to root-edit the system config.

Of course, best would be having the option user-configurable in the phone settings, but I do not know if that is (easily) possible.

That said, @marmistrz intended to submit a patch (to LOS 18.1, I think). Do not know if it happened.