Protective Case Suggestions and Ideas

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First testprint made last night. I've split the bottom up in 2 parts to figure out how well the fit is. there is some slight (2mm) missalignment of the buttons and usb-c header and the camera placemen

I made a leather pouch for the Pro1. I used cow leather, thickness about 2 mm. All the parts are glued with super glue gel adhesive which remains flexible. I made some holes to see the led and to get

Just finished a quick sketch of the bottom part of the protective cover:   Will run a test print tonight to get first dimensions with hard plastic to see how the shell fits, then adjust

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, SaiKo said:

yeah, on amazon.co.uk

try looking for the same item/seller in another amazon

free delivery for me from amazon.de or .fr for example

THANKS - I did not now they tried to cheat people that way. And I can not even cancel it. Well that is a package going back as undelivered...

34 minutes ago, _DW_ said:

I'll try and find one in .de next time 😏

The FIND is horrible if you try to find out what this UK seller got from the .DE site BUT try this method

1) Look at UK first (see e.g. this for many variants https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorola-Moto-G5-Adjustable-i-Tronixs-Clip-wallets-Brown/dp/B01MSXC2N8 )

2) Select the model and variant you want (for the above remember to select G5 Plus that is larger, and colour/model)

3) When found, go to the URL and change .CO.UK to e.g. .DE and press Enter (note: model and variant selector is NOT present in the .DE site for this seller)

4) You can now add the correct variant to the Basket on the .DE site.

What a workaround!!!

...Just ordered four more variants this way. I HOPE the grabbing can be modified to not interfere too much with the side-buttons.

11 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

...Just ordered four more variants this way. I HOPE the grabbing can be modified to not interfere too much with the side-buttons.

Yeah that was my main worry did think possibly small round sticky rubber pads but it's possible it won't touch you can see that in the photos with that Motorola.

Obviously main idea with this one can take out easy to put in car! I was actually looking for a black one why I didn't order straight away 🙂

10 minutes ago, _DW_ said:

Yeah that was my main worry did think possibly small round sticky rubber pads but it's possible it won't touch you can see that in the photos with that Motorola.

Obviously main idea with this one can take out easy to put in car! I was actually looking for a black one why I didn't order straight away 🙂

Try the above, that got a black one. 'carbon fibre style'

or this DE https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01MTYSBKO

or for UK https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MTYSBKO

NOTE that it is currently seems unavailable for the PLUS on the UK site, but not the DE.... 🤪🤯🥴

image.thumb.png.3edbd1827d96db20014f7583802dc523.png

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, ahunter said:

4 hours ago, ahunter said:

...AFAIK at least one of those cases has been posted earlier in this thread.

Also, if they're anything like the 'universal' case I found, they'll be annoyingly larger than the Pro1.

EDIT EDIT: Seems the outer case is 'generic' and is a bit bigger than the P20 Pro...Uec7bb9f61ce941e4a55031479f2d28dak.jpg_3

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, lameboyadvance said:

...AFAIK at least one of those cases has been posted earlier in this thread.

Also, if they're anything like the 'universal' case I found, they'll be annoyingly larger than the Pro1.

CYGNETT

https://www.cygnett.com/products/universal-wallet-phone-case-6

Max Device Size: 160 x 75 x 14mm (6.3 x 2.9 x 0.5in)

KSIX SLIDE UNIVERSAL FOLIO

https://www.ksixmobile.com/en/ksix-slide-universal-folio-case-for-smartphone-up-to-6-inches-blue-2452.1003

Compatible with Smartphones up to 6 inches (163 x 76x 11mm)

F(x)tec SPECIFICATIONS
Dimensions: 154 x 73.6 x 13.98 mm

Looks like the Ksix could be a little thin, Cygnett should fit perfectly

26 minutes ago, ahunter said:

CYGNETT

https://www.cygnett.com/products/universal-wallet-phone-case-6

Max Device Size: 160 x 75 x 14mm (6.3 x 2.9 x 0.5in)

KSIX SLIDE UNIVERSAL FOLIO

https://www.ksixmobile.com/en/ksix-slide-universal-folio-case-for-smartphone-up-to-6-inches-blue-2452.1003

Compatible with Smartphones up to 6 inches (163 x 76x 11mm)

F(x)tec SPECIFICATIONS
Dimensions: 154 x 73.6 x 13.98 mm

Looks like the Ksix could be a little thin, Cygnett should fit perfectly

Yes the first looks like a good fit. Though aud$30 (about us$20) is a bit on the hefty side, as it is plastic and not leather.

But in contrast to the other slide and flip cases mentioned earlier, this one uses adhesive, and this means no problems with the side buttons, so absolutely interesting, and at the most a hole for the secondary microphone when slid in. (and for the earpiece if mounted flipping to the right not left, unless you just slide it 1cm up during calls),

The 160mm is also a good fit, as it leaves a little space for magnetic plugs for the USB (and 3.5mm if you can get it). The simple $4 ones i have been using are 157mm, and this certainly should not be shorter with a magnetic plug added.

The second link says "Discontinues" so we would need to find it somewhere else. EAN: 8427542065373

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Yes the first looks like a good fit. Though $30 is a bit on the hefty side, as it is plastic and not leather.

But in contrast to the other slide and flip cases mentioned earlier, this one uses adhesive, and this means no problems with the side buttons, so absolutely interesting, and at the most a hole for the secondary microphone when slid in. (and for the earpiece if mounted flipping to the right not left, unless you just slide it 1cm up during calls),

The 160mm is also a good fit, as it leaves a little space for magnetic plugs for the USB (and 3.5mm if you can get it). The simple $4 ones i have been using are 157mm, and this certainly should not be shorter with a magnetic plug added.

You could also mount the F(x)tec Pro1 upside down in the Cygnett case. Mounting the sticky bit towards the bottom of the F(x)tec Pro1.

Effectively when compared to the orientation in the picture below the F(x)tec Pro1 would be mounted upside down and pop out at the bottom of the picture.

One thing I do not like is no protection around the device, like other modified cases.

NanoGrip_5.2_-_6_Inch_1024x1024.jpg?v=1571288932

1 minute ago, ahunter said:

You could also mount the F(x)tec Pro1 upside down in the Cygnett case. Mounting the sticky bit towards the bottom of the F(x)tec Pro1.

Effectively when compared to the orientation in the picture below the F(x)tec Pro1 would be mounted upside down and pop out at the bottom of the picture.

One thing I do not like is no protection around the device, like other modified cases.

Yes, I got that. My point was that it would require a hole for the earpiece, unless you slide it 1cm up during calls.

On the last part I would consider to mount it in a £1 clear silicone shell, and then let that be attached to the case.

• Like 1
On 2/1/2020 at 3:41 AM, sequestris said:

Just ordered it. We will see...

61XrMm6Yx5L._AC_SL1200_.jpg

...Well I received a P20 Pro split case like the one shown above today.

Unfortunately because the screen half slips over the rear half it is too big to sit over the Pro1 screen. ☹️

The thing is the rear half also seemed slightly too big to stay on the screen.

...One thing I have found out is the Pro1 screen is far easier to open with the protectors over the screen, just need to find one that fits...

• Like 1
3 hours ago, lameboyadvance said:

...Well I received a P20 Pro split case like the one shown above today.

Unfortunately because the screen half slips over the rear half it is too big to sit over the Pro1 screen. ☹️

The thing is the rear half also seemed slightly too big to stay on the screen.

Well we expected at the least the first part see discussions on the different variants with front-over-back or back-over-front previous in this thread.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Well we expected at the least the first part see discussions on the different variants with front-over-back or back-over-front previous in this thread.

I know, I tried to find that information earlier when I was making the previous post.

Thing is, because (I only just noticed) the screen of the Pro1 is marginally smaller than the base it looks as if even the other style of P20 Pro cover will also be too big.

We'll need to locate a case with smaller dimensions than the Pro1 to fit the screen portion properly.

EDIT: Scratch that, because of the screen curve the vast majority of it is 'smaller' but the screen actually curves down to the same size as the base. However, because its not as thick as the base the 'rear' cover doesn't fit well because it can't sit cleanly over the screen due to its depth.

We need to find a shallow '360' phone cover, ideally for a phone with a curved screen.

...Curse this curved screen, its nothing but an annoyance...

Edited by lameboyadvance
  • Like 1
12 minutes ago, lameboyadvance said:

We need to find a shallow '360' phone cover, ideally for a phone with a curved screen.

Yes, it was discussion earlier, see the following comments to the linked. My best guess would be a note7 Front-over-back if that even exists, and we will expect that to have edge issues.

So the least unlikely candidate I guess would be a shell intended for the screen-side of a Note7, that is intended to be used with a film or flat back-protector (I have never seen that set-up)

1 hour ago, lameboyadvance said:

Searching GSMArena for cases around the same dimensions as the Pro1 but in the 5-7mm depth range only results in the Vivo X9 and X9s, whose front cases so far seem to be this style. ☹️

Increasing the depth to 8mm adds a couple dozen more search results.

Interesting. Though neither of those are 'edge type' ...Hmm... we will need keep looking.

Something matching the new Galaxy S20+ might be interesting even though it is way too long, but perhaps it might be modified with three sides preserved.

On one of these

25 minutes ago, Lexicade said:

Not sure if we've had much info on this officially but they at least Tweeted back on this... So if nothing else, then at least we know it's planned

What was that a response to?  (Can't access twitter)

• phoebus2000 changed the title to Will Pro1 3D printer files for a case work with Pro1X?