Protective Case Suggestions and Ideas

2 hours ago, rejujacob said:

Edit: Worst case I will have to keep the screen facing inside.

I have learned, the hard way, that is always the best policy anyway.  ☹️

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First testprint made last night. I've split the bottom up in 2 parts to figure out how well the fit is. there is some slight (2mm) missalignment of the buttons and usb-c header and the camera placemen

I made a leather pouch for the Pro1. I used cow leather, thickness about 2 mm. All the parts are glued with super glue gel adhesive which remains flexible. I made some holes to see the led and to get

Just finished a quick sketch of the bottom part of the protective cover:   Will run a test print tonight to get first dimensions with hard plastic to see how the shell fits, then adjust

Posted Images

3 hours ago, david said:

I have learned, the hard way, that is always the best policy anyway.  ☹️

As have I. I always store my devices with screen facing inward. Whether I have them on my belt or in my pocket, it seems like I always find something on which to bash the screen. Since I started storing screen facing inward, zero issues. :)

• Like 1
4 hours ago, silversolver said:

As have I. I always store my devices with screen facing inward. Whether I have them on my belt or in my pocket, it seems like I always find something on which to bash the screen. Since I started storing screen facing inward, zero issues. :)

Exactly.  I broke 2 screens on my G2 keyboard phone (HTC Vision), because the belt holster was made so that the screen faced outward (and bare..not covered) and it pressed up against the seat belt buckle when I got into my vehicle on 2 occasions.  I replaced the first screen myself, but didn't have time with the second one, so I bought my Relay 4G phone instead. 

With that one, the holster was made for the screen to face inward.  No more problems.  That phone did have a really bad problem with the flex cable to the screen wearing out, so I did go through a number of the phones for that reason.  And I did break the screen on one once by carrying it in a pocket in a jacket while carrying some heavy things with straps that went around my upper body in the woods.  So now it gets put in the pouch, with screen facing the back of the pouch and facing toward my body, even when inside a jacket pocket! 😂

Edited by david
  • Like 1
On 3/5/2019 at 4:57 PM, david said:

I wonder if their idea of a "case" is something for protecting the phone or if it is for transporting the phone. At least it is something.

T-Mobile did it just fine with the Sidekick. I had about 13 different cases: 4-part (outer casex2, inner screen protector x2). It was lovely.

• Thanks 1

I dared to get a belt holster pouch thingy, without knowing if it would annoy me to have. I tried carrying the pouch now to see if that is a solution for me, and I'm quite surprised, the only time I notice the hoslter is when I get in my car. It's made of leather, sits safely on the belt, the cover is closed by magnets and feels very soft inside.

20191104_105024.jpg

20191104_105053.jpg

20191104_105113.jpg

• Like 3

Has anyone ordered this: https://www.amazon.com/fitBAG-Tailored-Germany-Microfibre-Cleaning/dp/B07XJ76Q28/

I remember seeing a link to this a few weeks back after someone had found the listing.  It's still not what I want as I do want a hard case of some sort.  However, with us now being told we will get a sleeve, not a case, I have to wonder is this what they are sending us or something else?  If something else, perhaps this one is better quality and I should buy it to have something.  It would be nice to get an official update / here's a pic of what we have for you right now.

1 hour ago, KingOfTerrible said:

Has anyone ordered this: https://www.amazon.com/fitBAG-Tailored-Germany-Microfibre-Cleaning/dp/B07XJ76Q28/

I remember seeing a link to this a few weeks back after someone had found the listing.  It's still not what I want as I do want a hard case of some sort.  However, with us now being told we will get a sleeve, not a case, I have to wonder is this what they are sending us or something else?  If something else, perhaps this one is better quality and I should buy it to have something.  It would be nice to get an official update / here's a pic of what we have for you right now.

I think, you should get a better as this one.

Please wait for your package, if the sleeve is not what you want, you can order a third party case.

Are you sure they are sending a sleeve (case) along with the device? Lately I have not heard anything from F(x)tec about the case nor the earphone being included, which was supposed to be free for the early pre-orders?

On their shopping page it says "coming soon" for wired earphones and hard case.

10 minutes ago, rejujacob said:

Are you sure they are sending a sleeve (case) along with the device? Lately I have not heard anything from F(x)tec about the case nor the earphone being included, which was supposed to be free for the early pre-orders?

On their shopping page it says "coming soon" for wired earphones and hard case.

They will not be included, the sleeve will be sent for free to all preorders and the headphones will be sent to all preorders done before the 24th of june

Edited by Doktor Oswaldo
  • Thanks 2

I don't understand the belt thing ... Don't you have pickpocket in your town ?  And if it's not one who spin, how do you sit ?

I always had my phone (with a very hard case) in my jacket chest or inside pocket, rarely in my pant... So it seam's odd to have it on the belt.

It's next to me when I sit down I don't sit on it, And usually I'm not topless, so my Shirt covers the case. It should fit a bit tight, so easy pickpocketing or losing the phone when I decide to continue my walk on my hands should not be an issue.

Well, sure there might be pickpocketers out there who could teach me a better lesson. But I'm confident to say that this is not my main concern

Edited by Noir
  • Like 2

I'm probably going with a skin. Even since I started using them I have been satisfied. I once had an accident with my TP2 in my jeans. The phone went throug my jeans (asfalt) but was undamaged. Had to replace the skin though :) . That was BestSkinsEver. 
Later I also bought Body Armorz or something like that. Because they were the only ones who had a set pre-cut for I think the Priv.
Nowaday i Just order a sheet from BSE and cut it myself. Nowhere near lasercut, but it does the job.

The sliding case Brando made for the priv was pretty good without getting too thick. But the quality was lacking. After a couple of months the seems would losen. Either their glue or their ultrasonic welding needs some work...

Edited by DieBruine
5 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Oh but it was the 'good one', not the "Pre Production" unit that lacks a few antennas.😥

So your daily driver now? Still leaves the question why you had in your breast pocket and not in a belt holster like people of certain age should? (Or is this just reserved for dads?) Anyway seems to be more stable than my current phone with case!

Edited by Doktor Oswaldo
  • Confused 1
16 minutes ago, Doktor Oswaldo said:

So your daily driver now? Still leaves the question why you had in your breast pocket and not in a belt holster like people of certain age should? (Or is this just reserved for dads?) Anyway seems to be more stable than my current phone with case!

I used belt holsters decades ago.

Yes daily driver since i got it, and I usually have it on my desk indoors, and in my trousers while moving around. But had it in a (bad) generic car mount, And quickly slipped it into the fleece, leaving the car as I got home, for the few metres walk, forgot to close the zipper properly, and dropped the car key closing the trunk...

• Sad 2
7 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

I used belt holsters decades ago.

Yes daily driver since i got it, and I usually have it on my desk indoors, and in my trousers while moving around. But had it in a (bad) generic car mount, And quickly slipped it into the fleece, leaving the car as I got home, for the few metres walk, forgot to close the zipper properly, and dropped the car key closing the trunk...

Well I guess someone was going to *test* this sooner or later :S

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, _DW_ said:

Well I guess someone was going to *test* this sooner or later :S

I would much have preferred "later", and preferred that someone to be someone else.

But on the other hand it is good to know that it does not only look and feel like it can take a beating, but can actually survive to tell the story.

A direct hit on the corners will kill many devices, e.g. with the screen cracking. So I hope this is just not a 'lucky accident', but a sign that it can take a little more beating than most.

In old times usually the back plate and battery flew off on impact, thus taking some of the impulse/energy of a drop.

I wonder if the two part mechanism can have a similar effect allowing some energy to be dispersed by the two parts moving relative to each other. Time will tell when we see some more Pro1's on the streets - and some literally....

• Like 1
  • phoebus2000 changed the title to Will Pro1 3D printer files for a case work with Pro1X?