Protective Case Suggestions and Ideas

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First testprint made last night. I've split the bottom up in 2 parts to figure out how well the fit is. there is some slight (2mm) missalignment of the buttons and usb-c header and the camera placemen

I made a leather pouch for the Pro1. I used cow leather, thickness about 2 mm. All the parts are glued with super glue gel adhesive which remains flexible. I made some holes to see the led and to get

Just finished a quick sketch of the bottom part of the protective cover:   Will run a test print tonight to get first dimensions with hard plastic to see how the shell fits, then adjust

Posted Images

I'm not about to go through 14 pages to see if this has been suggested previously, or if this thread's purpose is exactly as such, but I'm kind of a big fan of the hip holster, so I'd love to see some kind of case that pairs with one of those, kind of like how Otter Box Defender cases work. Or, even just a holster that could interface with the Pro1 in a similar manner would be fantastic, for me, at least.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Artemis-kun said:

I'm not about to go through 14 pages to see if this has been suggested previously, or if this thread's purpose is exactly as such, but I'm kind of a big fan of the hip holster, so I'd love to see some kind of case that pairs with one of those, kind of like how Otter Box Defender cases work. Or, even just a holster that could interface with the Pro1 in a similar manner would be fantastic, for me, at least.

I have a separate topic that I created previously for belt holster cases:

I know which type you are talking about, as I've used those both with my G2 (HTC Desire Z) and my Galaxy S Relay 4G (until earlier this year, when my last belt half became unusable).  I think the only thing you are going to find for solutions that snap into a piece that remains on your belt is the type that require you to glue a piece to the back of the phone.  The downside to those designs is the screen facing outward, risking cracking it by pressing against things.  It also means the back side of the phone may not sit flat when you set it down on a flat surface.

As you'll see in that other thread, I settled for a belt holster pouch that it slips into.  I picked a big enough one that will hopefully allow me to put a thin case (and possibly some added bumpers) on the base of the phone.  I haven't received my Pro1 yet, so I don't know how it will fit in practice.

Edited by david
  • Like 2
On 12/16/2019 at 7:42 PM, cathstoll said:

I dropped mine on day 2, slid out of my hand while taking a call.  Fortunately only a short distance to a table, but still a moment of heart-stopping horror I could do without during the 2-3 week wait for some Huawei P20 Pro cases to arrive.  

To anyone else with this problem - I've added some Dragon Grips; no more slipping.  Might even try to make Sugru corner bumpers eventually.

I wish they could have sorted out the 2-piece case issues, or released the specs to 3D print.  

Thanks for the idea.  I went nuts with the stuff on the back, but decided to preserve the Fxtec Logo.

image.thumb.png.2ed68fe5ae7e57916000dfb4e6884a45.png

• Haha 3
On 1/8/2020 at 7:16 AM, david said:

Good idea.  I was thinking about options for putting the Sugru on something more removable too, for the screen.  For the bottom, I figured I'd put it on a case.  Hoping to be able to build up the short edges such that the phone can be placed face down without the screen touching the surface.  That might reduce the need for putting the Sugru directly on the screen.

I'm concerned about both options restricting how the phone fits into and slides into/out of a belt holster case.

Agreed.  And a lot more of those solutions will happen when more people receive their phones. 🙂

I got the Sugru I ordered today, and started experimenting with a car key, where the rubber has vanished over the last twenty years.

For some years I have used it wrapped in fibre-tape, and tied up with a strip - I will spare you the image of that....

Removing that and here is the key next to one that is still pristine:
(To please @abielins and to get the Sugru to stick better I tried to clean it with some spirits, but some paper fibres stuck, please forgive...)

1627027042_IMG_20200116_23534801.thumb.jpg.0ca19ef31fe3e624179b45b8c9fbc5da.jpg

I then took a small package of the Sugru And tried to shape a new key-head. It is much like clay to work with. I suppose that using the right solvent you might be able to get a smooth surface.

The guide mentions no hints here,,,,

The back mentions "methyltris (methyleyhylketoxime), silane, 3-aminopropyltriethoxysilane and methyleyhylketoxime" (yes one is there twice), but it does not mention any solvent, that might be helpful smoothing the surface, so you easily end up with a fairly rough look, using your fingers only as they suggest:

953031697_IMG_20200117_09561901.thumb.jpg.45179934fd173ae1e17507a0a4bc3963.jpg

I'm not prone to allergy, but despite cleaning thoroughly with water and soap afterwards, I can feel in my fingertips, that it is not the helthiest stuff in the world to have worked with, so surgical rubber gloves might be a good idea, both for a more smooth result, and for your health.... It does not hurt, but leaves a slight numbness, a bit like if I had pulled nettles with my bare hand a good while ago. But it's already reduced after an hour, so no big deal. But I certainly think you should avoid rubbing your eyes....

ADD: I tried to smooth a bit with the overside of my fingers, while it was still moldable.
This morning (ten hours later) the surface is already substantially more firm, swapped the image.

So now I'll wait at the least 24 hours, and see where it ends....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's great, if it does not impede the opening/closing of the device.

The look might not be perfect, but the shape appears to be doing its job. We can always make it be built using more professional tools for a fee*, that might improve on the aesthetics.

I see at least one company offers to print in silicone, which is not easily available as a 3D printing material for most people.

*Might be best to co-ordinate a printed case pre-order through F(x)tec, as I would expect those to be bought in bulks.

Edited by Raksura
  • Like 2

@Keyahnig I was planning to draw a 3d printed design for the Pro1. Do you happen to have the files in Fusion360 format (.STEP or other), I would love to customize it and see if I can make a decent mold for it to pour them out of silicone. If that works out properly I might be able to do a "small production" run on those for who needs a bumper 😁.

Edited by Bloodhoundje
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
36 minutes ago, Bloodhoundje said:

@Keyahnig I was planning to draw a 3d printed design for the Pro1. Do you happen to have the files in Fusion360 format (.STEP or other), I would love to customize it and see if I can make a decent mold for it to pour them out of silicone. If that works out properly I might be able to do a "small production" run on those for who needs a bumper 😁.

Is the size of this theoretical production run enough that one could order multiple cases?

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Maplesteel said:

Is the size of this theoretical production run enough that one could order multiple cases?

That I cannot answer yet, considering it all depends on how well the mold works out and the wear/tear on it. I dont own a vacuum chamber currently so when pouring I have to pour very slow to prevent a buildup on air bubbles. Once I got the first casts done I can give more information on how many I can produce on  daily base next to my day job 😄

• Thanks 4
45 minutes ago, Bloodhoundje said:

I would not be at all surprised if quite many of us would be interested in one (or more) of those.

• Like 1
  • phoebus2000 changed the title to Will Pro1 3D printer files for a case work with Pro1X?