Protective Case Suggestions and Ideas

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First testprint made last night. I've split the bottom up in 2 parts to figure out how well the fit is. there is some slight (2mm) missalignment of the buttons and usb-c header and the camera placemen

I made a leather pouch for the Pro1. I used cow leather, thickness about 2 mm. All the parts are glued with super glue gel adhesive which remains flexible. I made some holes to see the led and to get

Just finished a quick sketch of the bottom part of the protective cover:   Will run a test print tonight to get first dimensions with hard plastic to see how the shell fits, then adjust

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

(I admit I adjusted my Danish text, to something that ended sensible, in Google Translate)

(I thought to do the same but I remembered DeepL and left it intact - It is not the most general sentence.)

Edited by VaZso
  • Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/8/2021 at 6:59 PM, SchattengestaIt said:

Hey there. After buying a used phone, I got three additional cases/pouches made from @Jordi but as a hardcore writer I sadly have no use for it.

I'll give them away for free (you just pay the office fees) since they would just be laying around here.

There are three cases which I'll attach pictures below. On the bottom right you'll see which number we're talking about.

1: magnetic flip case (an incredible piece of engineering!)
2: 'purse' pouch (landscape)
3: regular pouch (portrait)

If you're interested, please write what case you want and message me then.
I'm located in Germany.

1.2.jpeg

1.3.jpeg

1.1.jpeg

2.2.jpeg

2.1.jpeg

3.1.jpeg

Hi, I just joined the forums today because I'm finally ready to order a Pro1 X, having given up on the idea that Onward Mobility will actually release their planned 5G BlackBerry.  That's looking like vaporware at this point.

Who do I contact to have that first case made for my Pro1 X in basic black?  That's looking like a good way to go. 

2 hours ago, Jack T. Chance said:

Who do I contact to have that first case made for my Pro1 X in basic black?  That's looking like a good way to go. 

Welcome.
AFAIK there are no official seller of these cases. So you would either have to do it yourself, or see if someone offers to do it for a price.

If I remember correctly then somewhere in this long(!) thread there have been posted links to files for a 3D-printed case. I do not know if the link is still active, nor if others have made better cases since....

(Personally I use cheap roughly modified flip cases for a Huawei P20 Pro, see earlier in this thread, or this blog post)

On 1/4/2022 at 11:17 PM, EskeRahn said:

Welcome.
AFAIK there are no official seller of these cases. So you would either have to do it yourself, or see if someone offers to do it for a price.

@Jack T. Chance
Exactly, the case you mentioned was hand-made from Jordi. I already gave it away to another forum user.

I do think however that it's not too hard to make and Jordi might gives advice in case you need help.

• Thanks 2
  • 1 month later...
On 10/19/2020 at 9:58 AM, sequestris said:

Still my fave.
Been using the same one since February. I have 2 spares that are still sealed.

If you don't like the designs, maybe you can skin it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153051236557

image.png.d221ca72dfba74d78459a6db69266df9.png

image.png.8016c20f87afd8811df79316352678b2.png

image.png

I know this might be a tall order, but since that auction is long gone, can you post a link to a current one?  This case is one I want to consider for the Pro1-X that I'm planning to buy, but I don't know what search term(s) to use to find this case. 🤔

On 8/4/2020 at 6:30 AM, EskeRahn said:

Half a year ago (Feb. 2.) I ordered some full body P20 Pro cases that despite the Corona mess arrived Friday!!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254225379991?var=553618778779

The bottom half is of no use to us, but the top half fits the screen half of the Pro1 almost PERFECTLY, so can be used with any of the usual cases on the lower half.
The combo is not a perfect fit, as it does not close completely, but gives a VERY good protection, and SUPER easy to open, at the cost of the edge-usage as some disables anyway....

2109717637_IMG_20200804_12192101.thumb.jpg.aea14c7b7e96c5dba5a4a38b5b98fa90.jpg

1800313148_IMG_20200804_12194901.thumb.jpg.20219088187c30c67622bbd81e9b2bce.jpg

1478067988_IMG_20200804_12201801.thumb.jpg.1444e1b799e75efc088590fd0f868169.jpg

Simply lifting in the top half opens the device by pure gravity.

Or held in the bottom half, only a slight push is enough to open it, and the material dampens the sound

I think this is the way I'll probably go, for the screen protection.  How did it end up working for using the touchscreen? 🤔

4 hours ago, Jack T. Chance said:

I think this is the way I'll probably go, for the screen protection.  How did it end up working for using the touchscreen? 🤔

Never actually used them. It was mostly a proof of concept.

The touch worked as such though obviously not at the side edges

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2022 at 3:46 PM, Jack T. Chance said:

I know this might be a tall order, but since that auction is long gone, can you post a link to a current one?  This case is one I want to consider for the Pro1-X that I'm planning to buy, but I don't know what search term(s) to use to find this case. 🤔

Gimme a bit and I will try to find it.

On 2/25/2022 at 3:46 PM, Jack T. Chance said:

flip pu leather wallet phone case cover for samsung galaxy note 7

That was the search term. Mine was a Hello Kitty though

14 hours ago, sequestris said:

That was the search term. Mine was a Hello Kitty though

I think you should start to see what models you can get a HK wallet for.
And then start by ruling out the too short and too narrow ones.

Most likely you will have to end up buying one slightly too large, with ROUGHLY similar camera holes, and carefully remove the holster part, and then find a simple tpu-case that suits the pro1, and glue that on the inside of the wallet were the old sat, and do any cuttings/adjustments for camera etc.

Here is a list of currently known devices with roughly similar dimensions as the bottom half.
https://www.gsmarena.com/results.php3?nHeightMin=153&nHeightMax=155&nWidthMin=73&nWidthMax=74&nThicknessMin=6&nThicknessMax=8
Make SURE not to get a case with a stiff back, as it will not follow the slight outer curvature of the Pro1
In my experience The Huawei P20 Pro is the closest fit. But any wallet fitting that MIGHT be too tight closing on the thicker Pro1

But e..g. this could be worth a try before going home/creative

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/10/2022 at 11:10 AM, EskeRahn said:

I think you should start to see what models you can get a HK wallet for.
And then start by ruling out the too short and too narrow ones.

When I placed my order for the case I have I bought one and loved it. Then I ordered 6 more. I have gone through 1 of that stash. I have found that the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 is just about perfect

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Leather-Magnetic-Protective-Kickstand/dp/B08LNGV83V?th=1

That's one option that is close.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, sequestris said:

When I placed my order for the case I have I bought one and loved it. Then I ordered 6 more. I have gone through 1 of that stash. I have found that the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 is just about perfect

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Leather-Magnetic-Protective-Kickstand/dp/B08LNGV83V?th=1

That's one option that is close.

...please post photos 

On 4/8/2022 at 7:18 PM, sequestris said:

However the magnet hold is really quite nice and it's a well made case. Just...not it.

As I said it is usually quite simple to change the soft inner shell, grasping the phone, keeping the flip-part of the case. I have done that several time, when changing a 'book' type case from from opening in Western to Japanese direction.

• 1 month later...

Hoping this isn't off-topic here or something that's been dealt with already upthread (and apologies if it is!), I wonder if anybody has any experience with these? -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07XMDNZ1D?psc=1&smid=AJYN4KFF42CL8&ref_=chk_typ_quicklook_titleToDp

To be fair, I probably should have asked this question before ordering one, in advance of hopefully getting my Pro 1X shortly....!

Thanks in advance!

Edited by 749121
Make link work!
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, 749121 said:

Hoping this isn't off-topic here or something that's been dealt with already upthread (and apologies if it is!), I wonder if anybody has any experience with these? -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07XMDNZ1D?psc=1&smid=AJYN4KFF42CL8&ref_=chk_typ_quicklook_titleToDp

To be fair, I probably should have asked this question before ordering one, in advance of hopefully getting my Pro 1X shortly....!

Thanks in advance!

I have one. They are very nice, real quality.  They will cushion your Pro1x but may not cushion enough in a high impact fall.  They do hold snugly enough that the phone doesn't slide out on it's own, but still make it easy to remove the phone.

• Thanks 2
21 hours ago, 749121 said:

Thanks in advance!

I think mine was the original, I had them make it to a custom size when the Pro1 was unknown. It is still in daily use, and still looks as good as new.

• Thanks 2

...So the Pro1X might finally be shipping soon, I haven't checked this thread in well over a year. Any updates on potential cases for the Pro1/Pro1X?

It seems at least some of those P20 Pro protectors have since gone out of stock. Was there ever a larger/better case found by anyone since then?

...Any updates on the case protector announced by @Waxberry?

...Or the other original case protector announced by @Waxberry?...

• phoebus2000 changed the title to Will Pro1 3D printer files for a case work with Pro1X?