Protective Case Suggestions and Ideas

58 minutes ago, DieBruine said:

Snakehive.co.uk still delivers the P20 case used by some of us...

Thanks, looking on their site they still have a P20 Pro case, although it looks like they've now sold out of everything but the black ones. Guessing it won't be in stock much longer.

...Is there any benefit of those ones over the typical Chinese cases? Looking at the pics they have their logo stamped into the 'leather'. Is it actual leather?

...Also, being in Australia I'm paying as much for shipping as I am for the case... 😒

Edited by lameboyadvance
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First testprint made last night. I've split the bottom up in 2 parts to figure out how well the fit is. there is some slight (2mm) missalignment of the buttons and usb-c header and the camera placemen

I made a leather pouch for the Pro1. I used cow leather, thickness about 2 mm. All the parts are glued with super glue gel adhesive which remains flexible. I made some holes to see the led and to get

Just finished a quick sketch of the bottom part of the protective cover:   Will run a test print tonight to get first dimensions with hard plastic to see how the shell fits, then adjust

Posted Images

5 hours ago, lameboyadvance said:

It seems at least some of those P20 Pro protectors have since gone out of stock. Was there ever a larger/better case found by anyone since then?

There are a small number of devices with similar dimensions.
https://www.gsmarena.com/results.php3?nHeightMin=153&nHeightMax=155&nWidthMin=73&nWidthMax=74&nThicknessMin=6&nThicknessMax=8

At the least three of them are from 2020 or 2021, so cases are likely to still be around for a while. Whether they provide a better fit (base for modifications) I do not know.
https://www.gsmarena.com/results.php3?nYearMin=2020&nHeightMax=155&nWidthMin=73&nWidthMax=74&nThicknessMin=6&nThicknessMax=8

• Thanks 2

...The Pixel 5A looks to be a close fit and being Google it might have a large following/accessory userbase.

Has anyone tried rear (or front) cases for it yet? I'd still like a front case/screen protector for the Pro1, and from what I read earlier in the thread adding a cover to the top half actually makes it easier to push the phone open (at the expense of being able to use the curved edges, not really a downside IMO 😉).

2 hours ago, lameboyadvance said:

...The Pixel 5A looks to be a close fit and being Google it might have a large following/accessory userbase.

Has anyone tried rear (or front) cases for it yet? I'd still like a front case/screen protector for the Pro1, and from what I read earlier in the thread adding a cover to the top half actually makes it easier to push the phone open (at the expense of being able to use the curved edges, not really a downside IMO 😉).

Indeed, would be interesting to hear of experiences with Pixel 5a cases.

Remember that protecting the top 'half' also, is more complex than just the bottom, with a few main issues:

• Can the two 'halves' still close reasonably, for a top protector with a good grip?
  • Will it impair access to the top row of keys?
  • How much will it reduce touch of the outer parts of the display?  - where this for some would be a plus!

I have experimented with this as reported earlier in the thread, but the results were far from stellar - though usable.

18 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

I have experimented with this as reported earlier in the thread, but the results were far from stellar - though usable.

PS. Remember that there are two principal different ways a full cover for a slap can be made.

• Top grips over bottom half
  • Bottom grips over top part

Only the second type can be used to protect a Pro1 top (No use of the bottom part)

s-l1600.jpg

23 hours ago, lameboyadvance said:

Thanks, looking on their site they still have a P20 Pro case, although it looks like they've now sold out of everything but the black ones. Guessing it won't be in stock much longer.

...Is there any benefit of those ones over the typical Chinese cases? Looking at the pics they have their logo stamped into the 'leather'. Is it actual leather?

...Also, being in Australia I'm paying as much for shipping as I am for the case... 😒

I would argue that the quality is better. Hopefully some other buyers can respond. I bought three cases, but I also sold them with three phones. Not sure who uses them or has used them. My daughter abused one, and it held up pretty well.
I will try and search later this evening. I might still have one lying around. If so I will post real life pictures.

• 2 months later...

I found and am using a tempered glass screen protector that fits the Pro1X: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H9QSJK3/  The fit isn't perfect, but it's pretty good.  The screen protected doesn't curve quite as much as the Pro1X so there are corners, but to me that's a positive; the tiny corners of the screen protector make it much easier to open and close.  For the bottom, I am using an adhesive rubber sheet cut to shape.  It works pretty well.

20220808_051607.jpg

20220808_051637.jpg

20220808_052518.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, esialb said:

I found and am using a tempered glass screen protector that fits the Pro1X: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H9QSJK3/  The fit isn't perfect, but it's pretty good.  The screen protected doesn't curve quite as much as the Pro1X so there are corners, but to me that's a positive; the tiny corners of the screen protector make it much easier to open and close.  For the bottom, I am using an adhesive rubber sheet cut to shape.  It works pretty well.

I moved your post into this quite large thread, as the same covers and screen protectors should work equally well for both models.

8 hours ago, lameboyadvance said:

So the Pro1X doesn't come with a preapplied screen protector? That's disappointing. ☹️

...Whats the best/easiest way to apply screen protectors? Every time I try I end up with a bubbly mess.

As far as I remember well, a non-applied screen protector was shipped together with Pro1.

• Like 2

I've become wary of screen protectors! I've told the story already, but some time ago, I applied one such thing right after I had self-installed a new display panel from Aliexpress, lest I would break it again. Next thing I did was trying to wipe some dirt off the screen, and with the swipe I catapulted the phone from the table onto the stone floor, because the protector had a slightly sticky surface whereas we know the phone's bottom to be dangerously slick. Needless to say the display broke again in the process!

Also, my impression is that a screen protector might save a display from minor scratches, but can hardly prevent functional AMOLED damage from falling or from harder hits that would make a replacement necessary.

• Sad 2
2 hours ago, Rob. S. said:

Also, my impression is that a screen protector might save a display from minor scratches, but can hardly prevent functional AMOLED damage from falling or from harder hits that would make a replacement necessary.

Correct. IF we could get a fully covering 3D-curved tempered glass protector (as was/is available for e.g. the BB priv and Samsung S8) Then you can be lucky that it takes the impact and scatter, leaving the display intact. But I have not seen those available for the Pro1 or the Elephone U using the same screen.
I tried to cut one for a S8+, but it is really hard to cut it without it just scattering, I tried to cut a couple (using a diamond glass-cutter) to no avail, and then tried to make several cuts shortening the remaining to practise - I never succeeded

• Like 1

In my opinion, adding something with even minimal texture to the back will offer far more protection than any screen protector (never use them),  The best protection you can give you screen is making sure the phone doesn't slide or slip.  😉

It was easier with the Pro1 as most skins provide matte black and it looked perfect.  Getting a skin that looks attractive on the blue back will be harder and may require something custom.

• Like 2
On 8/10/2022 at 9:34 PM, esialb said:

Screen protectors reduce the likelihood of a shattered display whether or not they are tempered glass, and not by absorbing the impact of a drop. Scratching your screen is scoring the glass, making it significantly more fragile.

You have to try pretty hard to significant scratch Gorilla Glass. I've not used any kind of screen protector on the previous few Samsung Galaxy models I've owned and after several years of use, there's nothing more than surface scratches.

I'm of the opinion that screen protectors do little more than reduce the sensitive and usability of the touch screen.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, cash said:

You have to try pretty hard to significant scratch Gorilla Glass. I've not used any kind of screen protector on the previous few Samsung Galaxy models I've owned and after several years of use, there's nothing more than surface scratches.

I'm of the opinion that screen protectors do little more than reduce the sensitive and usability of the touch screen.

I'm pretty sure @esialb has a very valid point here in that scratches in the surface may lead to the glass as a whole being weakened compared to an intact display.

Think of what you do with a normal glass cutter and plain glass, you basically make a scratch in the surface, and a break then easily occur along this line. And though Gorilla Glass is more complex it is still glass, so some of the same behaviour may be expected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 8/12/2022 at 5:27 AM, cash said:

I have a Note 10 that is my primary phone and has never needed a screen protector, but I don't know what kind of glass is in the Pro1X, and I am positive that breaking the screen would be a much more difficult problem than with the Note 10.

Regarding sensitivity and touch screen issues, that (and also color and glare problems) are solvable with some UV-curing adhesive, which I have since added to my Pro1X but had not yet done so when I took those pictures.

Anyway, with effort and transparent adhesive, a tempered glass screen protector impedes neither the touch sensitivity nor the visibility. I heavily customize my devices anyway valuing function over form, and the lose no function with enough trial and error.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, esialb said:

I have a Note 10 that is my primary phone and has never needed a screen protector, but I don't know what kind of glass is in the Pro1X, and I am positive that breaking the screen would be a much more difficult problem than with the Note 10.

It's Gorilla glass, and I doubt there's any phone on the market where it's easier to swap screens, provided you get the official replacement unit (which practically is the whole top part of the phone, replacement involves just five screws and a ribbon cable). As a cheaper option there also is the actual display available from sources like Aliexpress which is also not too difficult to replace, but involves gluing which carries the danger of a less than perfect result.

2 hours ago, esialb said:

Anyway, with effort and transparent adhesive, a tempered glass screen protector impedes neither the touch sensitivity nor the visibility

Right, but there are other issues which may arise with protectors, and physically breaking isn't what you need to protect AMOLED screens from, anyway. WIth far less force inflicted on them they tend to suffer internal damage, developing faults like black circles or bright lines across the display, which tend to worsen with further use. A protector will not help much against that. I'm convinced that at best they're pretty useless.

• Like 2

I ordered this one.
I don't know what it will look like and whether it will fit on a rounded side or if it is just a flat sheet. Not yet arrived.

I plan to cover the bottom of the device with heat shrink film to prevent scratches and sand particles. I cut out the necessary parts and then put the device in a rubber or silicone case. (maybe P20 Pro)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I found a screen protector that probably fits the device. Huawei Mate RS Porsche Design. Unfortunately, I only found one with a black frame. The problem with this is that the sensors are not located exactly next to the speaker, where the screen protector is transparent. I couldn't find a completely transparent foil anywhere, it was out of stock everywhere. I found another glass film that will almost certainly be good, but it doesn't have a curved edge. I will try them all.

Small clarification, you can just take any Pro¹ or Elephone U/Pro fitted protector since the display of our Pro¹-X is exactly the same. Protectionfilm24/Schutzfolien24 @Hooklinked above just reacted fastest to my information that the Pro¹ foil they cut fits. As i could try having a spare Brotec foil for the Pro¹ around and applied it to the Pro¹-X. Same perfect fit.

The Elephone U/Pro search will likely even bring up tempered glass screensavers. Those have never been marketed for the Pro¹. But fit nicely, again due to exactly the same display unit.
But i am not a fan of those, imo they break to fast and need replacement. Yeah, its the point of that system. But i dropped my Pro¹ multiple times hard with only a protection film applied. I was lucky.

• Thanks 2

Just for the record, for lack of a perfect solution I've now applied on the back of the Pro1 X what probably kept my Pro1 from becoming completely damaged because of frequent drops: clear packaging tape on the back (the one I've used it German 'Tesa'). On the blue Pro1 X, it doesn't even look quite as ugly as on the black Pro 1... 

The slippery back of the phone is arguably its most dangerous aspect; the phone slides out of your hand as soon as you loosen your grip a bit. And my impression is that the blue shell didn't help there much, if at all...

Q8163105.thumb.jpg.d4539f6f3dad4cd5768e00d5f8c1971d.jpg 

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Like 1

I'm sure these are linked somewhere way back in this thread, but these are still available, it seems, so for newcomers:

https://www.amazon.com/fitBAG-Tailored-Germany-Microfibre-Cleaning/dp/B07XHN486C

They are quite nice.  I have one, though I never use it (I don't like or use cases or screen protectors and haven't since my Palm days).  Very nice material, gives some padding, easy to pull the pro 1 out, yet holds pretty well.  Pro1(X) won't slip out unless you hold it upside down, although I have a slightly textured skin on the back of my Pro1 so I am not sure with the unmodified back plate.

• phoebus2000 changed the title to Will Pro1 3D printer files for a case work with Pro1X?