Protective Case Suggestions and Ideas

1 hour ago, Hook said:

I'm sure these are linked somewhere way back in this thread, but these are still available, it seems, so for newcomers:

https://www.amazon.com/fitBAG-Tailored-Germany-Microfibre-Cleaning/dp/B07XHN486C

They are quite nice.  I have one, though I never use it (I don't like or use cases or screen protectors and haven't since my Palm days).  Very nice material, gives some padding, easy to pull the pro 1 out, yet holds pretty well.  Pro1(X) won't slip out unless you hold it upside down, although I have a slightly textured skin on the back of my Pro1 so I am not sure with the unmodified back plate.

You can even customize the bag (e.g. add card slots) on their homepage: https://www.fitbag.com/

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First testprint made last night. I've split the bottom up in 2 parts to figure out how well the fit is. there is some slight (2mm) missalignment of the buttons and usb-c header and the camera placemen

I made a leather pouch for the Pro1. I used cow leather, thickness about 2 mm. All the parts are glued with super glue gel adhesive which remains flexible. I made some holes to see the led and to get

Just finished a quick sketch of the bottom part of the protective cover:   Will run a test print tonight to get first dimensions with hard plastic to see how the shell fits, then adjust

Posted Images

There are now a number of wallet-style cases on Amazon made by BINFEN Color but sold under various brand names for about $14USD (I did a search for fxtec under cell phone cases).  It looks like they all ship from China or Hong Kong.  It's not clear how the phone attaches--other models made by BINFEN seem to snap into place.  There are no reviews for any of these cases yet but I may try my luck with one since they are inexpensive.

• Like 1

Sadly the lack of a proper hard shell case now that I have gotten my phone (a week or so ago) has pretty much forced my hand into just selling my Pro1 X.  I wanted it to become my daily driver and without a solid case solution I don't even want to risk it.

• Sad 2
47 minutes ago, Logan said:

Sadly the lack of a proper hard shell case now that I have gotten my phone (a week or so ago) has pretty much forced my hand into just selling my Pro1 X.  I wanted it to become my daily driver and without a solid case solution I don't even want to risk it.

Have you considered a flip-case?
Her a slowmo video of using a DIY case, that can be made in minutes from a cheap Pro2 Pro case, with no special skills.

It offers quite good protection IMHO.

1 hour ago, Logan said:

In another thread, I have showed my daily driver Pro1 and my hard rubber case made for P20 Pro which has needed some hand cutting but basically it fits.
One disadvantage is the different position of volume / power buttons, so you can not feel their exact position but that is not a huge problem for me.

Here it is (see near the end of the video):

On 8/17/2022 at 10:38 PM, VaZso said:

If anyone interested - I took a video of my daily driver Pro¹ which is in use since two 2 years and 8 months (since very end of 2019).
I had to replace the screen a few times and its USB board once.

I have used this Pro¹ to take photos of the Pro¹X (and video of it together with my spare Pro¹) above and now I have used my Pro¹X above to take a video of it. 🙂

I have applied a hand-cut protective foil at its back because it seemed Pro¹ has a bit weak paint at its back, so it is there since I have started using it.
My second SIM card is wired on the back of the phone because I wanted to also use an SDCard together with two SIMs.
Also, I have a hand-cut hard-rubber case made for P20 which covers its back including the second SIM and I have applied some additional bumps near SIM holder for the phone to sit on them instead of the SIM card holder...
I am also using this case since I am using this phone.

I had to obscure some parts of the mirroring effect using a video editor (Kdenlive) as I did not want to put my face to Youtube. 🙂

Here is the video:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Logan said:

I understand the concern and I don't want to tell you not to worry because stuff can always happen. But there are a lot of good solutions in this thread if you really want a phone like this.  I'm someone who never uses cases or screen protectors (it's a quirk that everyone has tried to talk me out of since my Palm PDA days).  The only thing I did for the Pro1 is to put a matte black textured skin (I used one from Dbrand that was intended for the Note 10) because it provided just enough texture that the phone doesn't easily slip from my hand.  Maybe I'm just not rough enough on my devices, 😄

• Like 3
1 hour ago, VaZso said:

In another thread, I have showed my daily driver Pro1 and my hard rubber case made for P20 Pro which has needed some hand cutting but basically it fits.
One disadvantage is the different position of volume / power buttons, so you can not feel their exact position but that is not a huge problem for me.

Here it is (see near the end of the video):

It looks like the screen is still without any protection really.  Otherwise it looks pretty solid.  I found https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4618945, though am guessing it would need adjusted for the Pro1-X...and I am not a 3d Printer person so would have no clue what I am doing before asking a friend to print it.

@EskeRahn Does that flip case have a cutout for the camera and does it work with the finger print reader?

17 minutes ago, Logan said:

It looks like the screen is still without any protection really.  Otherwise it looks pretty solid.  I found https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4618945, though am guessing it would need adjusted for the Pro1-X...and I am not a 3d Printer person so would have no clue what I am doing before asking a friend to print it.

@EskeRahn Does that flip case have a cutout for the camera and does it work with the finger print reader?

Pro1 and Pro1X has the same size, if you need to adjust, that is because of differences between 3D printers.

Anyway, there are screen protectors made for Elephone U Pro which has the very same dispay, even there is a company which sells screen protector specfically for Pro1(X)... Elephone U Pro is the same regarding screen protector.

Edited by VaZso
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, Logan said:

Same size exactly, eh?

Exactly - only difference between printers may affect size.

7 minutes ago, Logan said:

...or more likely this one:
https://www.protectionfilms24.com/article/2x-brotect-flex-full-cover-screen-protectorfxtec-pro-1-x-5145664.html

I have also purchased screen protector from Aliexpress but sellers for Elephone U Pro have started to disappear.

3 hours ago, Logan said:

Yes it protects both camera and fingerprint reader in the 'Japanese book' version.
I choose NOT to cut out for the camera, as I seldom use it, so no problem open the flap all the way to access it (they are already prepared, to fold in the middle)

The whole idea of turning it around so it open to the right, seen as portrait, is that it 1) protects the fingerprint reader and buttons. and 2) it is more natural to have the flap away when the keyboard is opened.

Here a few quick images.

IMG_20220820_002028.jpg

IMG_20220820_002020.jpg

IMG_20220820_001921.jpg

21 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Here a few quick images.

And a yet unused one that have long been awaiting the arrival of a blue retail Pro1X 😁

...Yes the camera struggle with the white-balance of blue against red background...

IMG_20220820_003124~01.jpg

IMG_20220820_003115~01.jpg

IMG_20220820_003103~01.jpg

As others have noted, there is no official case for the Pro1 or Pro1X and that is a big problem for me. I bought the leather flipcase (for an Huwawei P20 Pro) from Snakehive but my Pro1X doesn't fit in to it snugly and keeps popping out.

I was considering replacing the rubber holder with a 3D printed one that fits the Pro1 but am unsure if it'll fit the Pro1X. Anyone know if it will?

Looking at the Thingiverse pics it should but I was hoping someone could confirm. 

Edited by phoebus2000
CLARITY
  • phoebus2000 changed the title to Will Pro1 3D printer files for a case work with Pro1X?

Only difference in physics is that the camera-block protrudes about 0.8mm

It is NOT all P20 Pro shells that fits though. If they are stiff they will not. As the sides of the back is slightly slanted, some flexing is needed.

9 hours ago, Mysti-Que2020 said:

If someone does have a 3D printer and is able to comfirm and make one,  man I will definitely buy one because I also did the Huawei P20 Pro with adjustments and it was a no go.   It kept the keyboard elevated and I wasn't comfortable with that happening. 

I asked my buddy if he could make me a test (low infill) for the back and top bumpers.  If/when he does and we work out any kinks I'll point him this way.  I like the idea of that case.

• Like 2

I decided to make my own case as a learning experience. So far it's just the base as I wanted something to replace the plastic holder in my Snakehive case. I have not included the hole for the headphones as it would leave a gap in the upper edge of the case and reduced it's grip on the phone. I will upload the STL's onto Printables when they're ready. I'm still tweaking small measurements atm.

Edited by belletrist
embedded video problems
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

https://www.printables.com/model/267403-fxtec-pro1x-case

Feel free to let me know your thoughts, criticisms, tweaks.

I'm already thinking it needs a bit more on top for screen protection.

I've also done a template for cutting out screen protectors which I'll upload shortly. I haven't been able to find any that ship to Australia.

Edited by belletrist
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2022 at 11:59 AM, belletrist said:

https://www.printables.com/model/267403-fxtec-pro1x-case

Feel free to let me know your thoughts, criticisms, tweaks.

I'm already thinking it needs a bit more on top for screen protection.

I've also done a template for cutting out screen protectors which I'll upload shortly. I haven't been able to find any that ship to Australia.

If I have some time at some point, I will print it out of PLA. If it fits and it's good, I'll try it in elastic material.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Adamyno said:

If I have some time at some point, I will print it out of PLA. If it fits and it's good, I'll try it in elastic material.

I would suggest PETG over PLA as it's a tight fit and that's what I've been prototying in.

I would hold off on TPU for the moment, the fit isn't strong enough yet.

• Thanks 1

Since I'm sure I'll end up dropping my device if it's not in a case, I bought a ZRANTU Case Huawei P20 Mobile Phone Case with RFID Protection from Amazon to try out.

I thought that with its phone holder portion being rubber, I might be able to get it to stretch in the right ways to hold the Pro1-X, but that was not to be.  I ended up tearing the whole rubber portion out, retaining only the wraparound cover, and then stuck the Pro1-X in using some thin double-stick mirror mounting foam tape.

So far it seems fairly good.  It's a little tight when closed, but the magnetic clasp does hold, and I'm hoping that over time it'll loosen up a bit.

Note that I did not reverse the orientation of the phone as some have done, but I don't think the flap sitting out the front when the keyboard is deployed is a problem.

This case does not activate automatic screen on/off, but that problem is easily resolved with WaveUp.

case1.jpeg

case2.jpeg

case3.jpeg

• Like 1