PRO1, LineageOS 16.0 Official Builds: Discussion

21 minutes ago, DieBruine said:

I'm experiencing some keyboard issues with LOS. I use Google Hangouts a lot for IM. Sometimes charcters aren't registered. Sometimes words are repeated. Spcae isn't registered most often.
When I take a look at my previous post I notice it happeneqed before. THis is a good example... WTF is that q (happeneqed) doing there!? There is no way I could have typed that by accident. So, anyone else having keyboard issues? Also, shortcuts to special.l characters keep popping up. See the image. I have absolutely no idea as to why...

Ow and btw (off-topic), the coating on my "e" is dammaged. Anyone experience with the right lacquer to fix that?

Screenshot_20200729-155945_Hangouts.png

In this case the "b" wasn't registered and soon after that again that pop-up with special characters...

This issue may be either hardware or software. But I don't think anyone else is having this sort of issue...? There is a known issue with key repeat when the system is under some load, but certainly key ghosting should not be happening.

Did this issue happen on stock? Could you install stock to test?

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am pleased to announce that the Pro1 has received official support in LineageOS 16.0.   You can find the builds and installation instructions on the official LineageOS Downloads page.

Lineage recovery will offer to install from sdcard if, and only if, a physical sdcard is present and it is able to be read without any decryption (eg. it is not used as adoptable storage).  

In my opinion LineageOS 16 was a very important OS for the Pro1 that brought the best out of the device at a moment when stock couldn't (yet) . Although not a developer, I can well imagine it also bro

Posted Images

49 minutes ago, DieBruine said:

I'm experiencing some keyboard issues with LOS. I use Google Hangouts a lot for IM. Sometimes charcters aren't registered. Sometimes words are repeated. Spcae isn't registered most often.
When I take a look at my previous post I notice it happeneqed before. THis is a good example... WTF is that q (happeneqed) doing there!? There is no way I could have typed that by accident. So, anyone else having keyboard issues? Also, shortcuts to special.l characters keep popping up. See the image. I have absolutely no idea as to why...

Ow and btw (off-topic), the coating on my "e" is dammaged. Anyone experience with the right lacquer to fix that?

Screenshot_20200729-155945_Hangouts.png

In this case the "b" wasn't registered and soon after that again that pop-up with special characters...

The accented chooser popup (or whatever it's called) is a known issue on the Github. I'm pretty sure it's a software issue with AOSP keyboard which probably needs it's threshold for long hold tweaked (It pops up too quickly, making it easy to trigger when you are just being a little hesitant on the keys.  I've had it pop up, but not often anough to drive me crazy (maybe because I'm already there).  😉  I don't know if AOSP keyboard needs to be tweaked or if something it is operating off of is what needs the tweak.

Haven't experienced the wrong letters thing, ot at least, more than normal when typing (even on a desktop keyboard), so can't comment on that.

• Thanks 1

This did not happen on stock. I've only been running LOS for two days now. And I performed a hard reset before. It's the same as with the DOuble CAP as you can see. I'm just the opposite, I type pretty fast. And it looks like it happens more often when I type faster. And I    uld alsobelieve it happens when under load. You see what happened there? That's not a typo, this is what happens when I type fast for a longer period of time, at least that is what I think. On the other hand, the sentence before this one, I tried typing as fast as I could, no errors...
So, i have absolutely no idea as to why and under what circumstances.

One thing I noticed, this afternoon I had a few conversations on Hangouts. It was bugging me a lot. So I came here to complain about it. The first couple of sentences had to be corrected. But soon after I could type error-free. I would and could believe it has something to do with background processes and or heavy loads. I will do my best to figure out if it's HAngouts in the background. Next time this happens I'll switch between apps and after   hat kill Hangouts. Again, not a typo...

1 hour ago, tdm said:

1 minute ago, DieBruine said:

This did not happen on stock. I've only been running LOS for two days now. And I performed a hard reset before. It's the same as with the DOuble CAP as you can see. I'm just the opposite, I type pretty fast. And it looks like it happens more often when I type faster. And I    uld alsobelieve it happens when under load. You see what happened there? That's not a typo, this is what happens when I type fast for a longer period of time, at least that is what I think. On the other hand, the sentence before this one, I tried typing as fast as I could, no errors...
So, i have absolutely no idea as to why and under what circumstances.

One thing I noticed, this afternoon I had a few conversations on Hangouts. It was bugging me a lot. So I came here to complain about it. The first couple of sentences had to be corrected. But soon after I could type error-free. I would and could believe it has something to do with background processes and or heavy loads. I will do my best to figure out if it's HAngouts in the background. Next time this happens I'll switch between apps and after   hat kill Hangouts. Again, not a typo...

I only had similar problems (on stock) when I had an application installed which monitors some key combinations.
I felt the keystrokes are lagging, I had missing characters and so on.
After uninstalling it, all of my problems with keyboard are gone.

So try to look if you have similar application(s) installed.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, FlyingAntero said:

I have tried that too successfully with Xperia XZ1 Compact (LOS 17.1) but haven't try with Pro1 yet.

I tried and can confirm it works. At least for now on.

• Like 1
On 7/28/2020 at 4:14 PM, tdm said:

Lots of posts in the last few hours so I'm going to do a bulk reply. here...

@Wasmachineman_NL @DieBruine the Pro1 has not licensed aptX and the required aptX libraries should not be installed.  Therefore aptX should not work.  I am not familiar with the meaning of "HD audio" as it relates to BT.  Perhaps someone can enlighten me?

@EskeRahn @FlyingAntero the new build is larger because Nolen added "firmware" to the build.  I'll have to look into this to see exactly what was added and where.  Also, the changelog does not update exactly in sync with the builds.  I'm not sure why changes for other devices would be included, as I never looked at the code to generate the changelogs.  And lineageoslog.com is not an official Lineage site.

@marmistrz the update instructions from test builds to official builds are exactly the same as the install instructions that you can find on either my lineage page or the official wiki.  Start by booting into the official lineage recovery, sideload the official lineage build, reboot into recovery, sideload gapps and su, and reboot.  The only real difference is that you do not need to wipe as you would if you were coming from stock.

@TeZtdevice you should not uninstall system apps in Android.  I would recommend re-flashing Lineage to fix it.

Ya know what's strange? N900 as music player, Pro1 for phone and the PXC 550 as headset connected to both over BT works, almost seamlessly too!

Edited by Wasmachineman_NL
  • Like 1
On 7/29/2020 at 6:42 PM, tdm said:

This issue may be either hardware or software. But I don't think anyone else is having this sort of issue...? There is a known issue with key repeat when the system is under some load, but certainly key ghosting should not be happening.

@DieBruine
I have had this issue as well. Ghost typing and missing keys are a thing since the first LOS versions. I've never used stock before so I can't compare that.

Missing keys are especially happening to me while I download a large file (like the current LOS .zip which I used to successfully screw up my phone). In my view it's about system usage so the scripts or whatever is used to specify what the key input is converted to and if it isn't fast enough it will misunderstand the input as long-press (which leads to the character popup) and double key input, it will type random ghost keys or simply eat them away. But as I said, missing keys didn't happen to me often but a LOT when I downloaded the 700MB file for two hours in this morning. Typing was very painful. The other problems, especially ghost keys happen on a regular basis but are quite rare.

If we could prioritise the keyboard input over everything else, I'd recommend that. But maybe it is fixed with the current LOS version which seems to be faster and more efficient (= less background processes).

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Wheeljack said:

Found my Pro1 unlocked in my pocket having done all kinds of stuff by random touchscreen interactions. 2nd or 3rd time this happened.

Have now deleted and re-entered my fingerprints. Will keep an eye on this.

Could it be when placing it in the pocket? Try to only register the opposite hand. e.g. left hand if you got it in your right pocket, that would eliminate that as a possibility.

Even though I pretty early on made a flip/case, I did not see the described before.

1 hour ago, EskeRahn said:

Could it be when placing it in the pocket? Try to only register the opposite hand. e.g. left hand if you got it in your right pocket, that would eliminate that as a possibility.

Even though I pretty early on made a flip/case, I did not see the described before.

I've done exactly the same I so happen to hold my phone in my left hand and always put it in might right pocket (no idea why!)

2 hours ago, SchattengestaIt said:

@DieBruine
I have had this issue as well. Ghost typing and missing keys are a thing since the first LOS versions. I've never used stock before so I can't compare that.

Missing keys are especially happening to me while I download a large file (like the current LOS .zip which I used to successfully screw up my phone). In my view it's about system usage so the scripts or whatever is used to specify what the key input is converted to and if it isn't fast enough it will misunderstand the input as long-press (which leads to the character popup) and double key input, it will type random ghost keys or simply eat them away. But as I said, missing keys didn't happen to me often but a LOT when I downloaded the 700MB file for two hours in this morning. Typing was very painful. The other problems, especially ghost keys happen on a regular basis but are quite rare.

If we could prioritise the keyboard input over everything else, I'd recommend that. But maybe it is fixed with the current LOS version which seems to be faster and more efficient (= less background processes).

Hardware is usually interrupt driven so has higher priority no idea on phones though.  But you are correct in windows terms it should be classed as a real time process.

• Like 2

EDIT: It was the USB cable... check the post below.

So... about my bricking problem:
(I always had problems with modding my Pro1, somehow I fail miserably every time)

Previous steps:
At first I tried to install the official on the previous recovery image. That didn't work and spit out some error messages.
Then I installed the official recovery image that was supplied with the other download links.

Following happens (or doesn't happen):

adb sideload lineage-16.0-20200727-nightly-pro1-signed.zip
serving: 'lineage-16.0-20200727-nightly-pro1-signed.zip'  (~0%)    adb: failed to read command: No error
-> the 0% (sometimes 1%) is static.

On the device is written:
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...

The progress bar on the device fills to around 25% and gets stuck there. On the host it stays at 0% as mentioned above. There's no way (in my knowledge) to abort the process. If I type "adb reboot", I'll get: "error: device offline"

Only after unplugging the connection I get a change telling me that the signature verification failed. I click yes to install the update anyways and get some error messages - which makes sense since the connection was interrupted. (kDownloadTransferError).

Since my system is stuck at the LineageOS logo, I could use some help.

What I tried too was to access the filesystem with an adb shell (root since I needed permissions) and deleted the /data/system/packages.xml as it was mentioned before by tdm. Sadly, that didn't change anything.

This is what happens on the device:
---
# it's stuck here so I unplug the USB cable at some point
E:Signature verification failed
E:error: 21 
Installing update package
Step 1/2
Error applying update: 9 (ErrorCode: :kDownloadTransferError)
E:Error in /sideload/package.zip (Status 1)

Restarting adbd...
E:Failed to open driver control: No such file or directory
Installation aborted.
---

Now, I'm not absolutely sure if the recovery image was installed correctly. If I try it again, following happens:

---
Now send the package you want to apply to the device with "adb sideload <filename>"...
E:footer is wrong
Update package verification took 0.2 s (result 1). # -> verification failed
E: Signature verification failed
E:error: 21
E:Can't open /sideload/package.zip : Invalid file
Restarting adbd...
E:Failed to open driver control: No such file or directory
Installation aborted

On host:
adb sideload lineage-16.0-20200727-recovery-pro1.img
Total xfer: 0.01x
---

Ignore that stupidity, I flashed the recovery with fastboot before.

What can I do at this point? If you can explain it so that a noob like me would understand it, I'd be grateful (I do my research but I still lack of knowledge).

By the way, on the Recovery page it does say:
Android 9 | Slot b (it does say the same on Slot a as well...)
LineageOS 16.0-20200727-NIGHTLY-pro1 - so it seems to be installed but not correctly.

At the end I have switched between slots a couple of times and installed the new recovery on both - not knowing what I do of course. Somehow I got 10% success after I tried it the last time (I just wanted to check if it changes the slots even if it fails) but it's stuck again....

Any help is appreciated, I'll keep trying this frustrating install game.

Edit: As soon as the "adb: failed to read command: No error" comes, the installation progress will be stuck.

Additional knowledge: Since I was able to get through the file directory on slot B (which is stuck at the LineageOS logo), this will be my current installation slot. So this is what I'd wish to preserve.

Edited by SchattengestaIt
EDIT: It was the USB cable... check the post below.

Oh god... it was the USB cable (or slot). After researching for a while I found the advice to use a shorter USB cable. I did that. And what can I say?
The verification went alright and it installed fine... Installed the gapps too (for safety although already installed before) and it boots fine!

Sometimes those developer programs are really fooling with us non-developers... 😞

Anyways... my phone boots again. Now I have to see if my app data was actually wiped (wallpaper and pictures were kept) or if I simply booted and installed on the wrong slot. I'm just happy that I finally found a working solution.

Edit: The data was gone, only wifi passwords and such things survived. Sadly, the adb backup/restore didn't help anything. While it probably restored app data, all the apps themselves are gone (and the ones I install keep crashing). Great.

• Thanks 2
56 minutes ago, Linkandzelda said:

Any way we can remap the FX button? It would be nice to be able to remap it to Win/Super and have it sent through VNC clients.

Not yet, at least from the kernel. But I would like to make that possible.

• Like 2

I want to mention that with the update to official the display density (the size of display elements) has increased. By setting it to the lowest size (including font size), it's slightly bigger (I'd say 10-15%) than it was with the previous test versions.
This also allows the use of seven main app buttons on the home screen instead of six.

For those having the same 'problem', the workaround lies in the developer options: drawings -> smallest width (you can use adb shell too of course). Current settings was 514dp, ~595dp will be the size that we had before.
If we set it higher than 600dp, the control buttons will change place when used horizontally. When this happens while setting it to ~590dp, decrease it to 550 and increase it slowly, approaching a maximum of ~595dp.

(With adb shell it's wm density 290)

• Like 1

so im a little lost. first time trying to install this. unlocked bootloader but it wont let me flash the recovery. i get an error "cannot get boot partition size". all ive done so far is follow the instructions on the lineageos wiki. heres what i've tried:

C:\platform-tools>fastboot flash boot_a lineage-16.0-20200727-recovery-pro1.img
fastboot: error: cannot get boot partition size

C:\platform-tools>fastboot flash boot lineage-16.0-20200727-recovery-pro1.img

1 hour ago, puppymang said:

so im a little lost. first time trying to install this. unlocked bootloader but it wont let me flash the recovery. i get an error "cannot get boot partition size". all ive done so far is follow the instructions on the lineageos wiki. heres what i've tried:

Perhaps try a different USB cable or a different USB port? Maybe even a different host computer?

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, puppymang said:

I would suggest flashing stock and then go to LOS.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, tdm said:

Perhaps try a different USB cable or a different USB port? Maybe even a different host computer?

first thing i tried was using a usb2.0 slot instead of a usb3.0 but no dice. fastboot seemed to be working and not freezing.

6 hours ago, DieBruine said:

I would suggest flashing stock and then go to LOS.

my phone has the latest update. if i can, which version do you recommend i rollback to?

I'm planning to install LOS once I receive my device in a couple days. Should I activate the phone/take all the otas and then follow the steps to install LOS? Or can I just install LOS from the start once I receive the phone without any issues?

On 8/1/2020 at 2:24 PM, Linkandzelda said:

Any way we can remap the FX button? It would be nice to be able to remap it to Win/Super and have it sent through VNC clients.

It is already win/super/meta.  But yeah Android steals it for assistant before it gets thru to VNC.  I ended up just using ctrl-esc when I was testing win95 under dosbox.

11 hours ago, puppymang said:

first thing i tried was using a usb2.0 slot instead of a usb3.0 but no dice. fastboot seemed to be working and not freezing.

my phone has the latest update. if i can, which version do you recommend i rollback to?

I would suggest you walk through these steps. Then you can be assured everything is as it should be. I cannot comment yet on the updating to last versions part. Clearly you had issues with that step. So I would suggest you first try it with this version, and immediately after that go to LOS.
And depending on which version of ADB you're using, the command changed from "fastboot oem unlock" to "fastboot flashing unlock". Maybe you hadn't noticed that?

BTW, I am unable to use SDB over USB C. Luckily my laptop still has one USB A-port. Which by the way is USB 3.x.

Sidenote, after downloading the latest update and clicking install, nothing happens. At least not visible. The first try I saw a notification it was working on the update in de background. Then I thought I'd score some brunch. When I came back, nothing happened. Tried it another three times, downloading, install... Nothing, nada njente... Apart from the choice to download again that is.

Edited by DieBruine
Update 0803
  • EskeRahn changed the title to PRO1, LineageOS 16.0 Official Builds: Discussion