Protective Case Suggestions and Ideas

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First testprint made last night. I've split the bottom up in 2 parts to figure out how well the fit is. there is some slight (2mm) missalignment of the buttons and usb-c header and the camera placemen

I made a leather pouch for the Pro1. I used cow leather, thickness about 2 mm. All the parts are glued with super glue gel adhesive which remains flexible. I made some holes to see the led and to get

Just finished a quick sketch of the bottom part of the protective cover:   Will run a test print tonight to get first dimensions with hard plastic to see how the shell fits, then adjust

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Doktor Oswaldo said:

I do not think it is done yet. Or even started.

On 10/31/2019 at 12:50 PM, Erik said:

P.S. I have seen the sleeve and it looks a lot more premium than the plastic hard case.

Edited by Raksura
Welp, CTRL+Enter sent the message, I was trying to insert text, but I can't because it gets stuck between selecting either quote. I abhor WYSIWYG editors. Regardless. The sleeve definitely exists.
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Raksura said:

1 hour ago, Raksura said:

Welp, CTRL+Enter sent the message, I was trying to insert text, but I can't because it gets stuck between selecting either quote. I abhor WYSIWYG editors. Regardless. The sleeve definitely exists.

More often than not its WYSIWYW not WYSIWYG... ("Want" rather than "Get"). I think those kinds of editors are good if -and ONLY if- they also provide a way to easily see all the codes, so you can clear things up WHEN they are messed up...

The case we all saw on Twitter had no quality and because of that Fx Tec team decided not to delay the project for that reason. Instead they will send a sleeve but in the future they will study other ideas for a case. I suggested Chen something like Samsung Fold Skin https://dbrand.com/shop/galaxy-fold-skins or https://www.slickwraps.com/devices/phones/samsung/galaxy-fold.html . It is way cheaper and easy to install.

8 minutes ago, helder_alemao said:
The case we all saw on Twitter had no quality and because of that Fx Tec team decided not to delay the project for that reason. Instead they will send a sleeve but in the future they will study other ideas for a case. I suggested Chen something like Samsung Fold Skin https://dbrand.com/shop/galaxy-fold-skins or https://www.slickwraps.com/devices/phones/samsung/galaxy-fold.html . It is way cheaper and easy to install.

Yes, a good cut of a good foil, would be better than a sleeve for me. Of course no crash protection, but could have taken the majority of the deep scratches the corners got.

I would gladly buy a stack of these foils....

8 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

I would have loved a case....

I dropped my precious "Final Sample" directly on stones!!! Luckily only cosmetic damages due to the strong build.

That is what I keep worrying about!  OUCH!  We *need* a case! Any case!

9 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

"it ended screen down, where the (cheap) screen protector got a few tiny dents and a number of scratches. I’m really glad that I had that protector on!"

Are those screen protectors we bought plastic or glass?  I haven't looked at mine for a while.

Note to self:  Yes, you *are* going to put that screen protector on before the phone leaves the house and before you bring the phone into areas of the house that aren't carpeted.

Edited by david
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, david said:

Are those screen protectors we bought plastic or glass?  I haven't looked at mine for a while.

Note to self:  Yes, you *are* going to put that screen protector on before the phone leaves the house and before you bring the phone into areas of the house that aren't carpeted.

Some sort of plastic only, yes. But it did the trick, and did not even break.

• Like 2

I ordered a number of different cases for various other phones with similar size as the keyboard part.

The first has arrived for the Note7, and though it snaps right on, without deteriorating the slide functionality substantially, there are a few issues.

It is easy to cut holes for the camera, stereo jack and USB with a pair of scissors, but a little more complex for the fingerprint scanner.

The problem here is that the Note 7 has a flat back, but the Pro1 has the last 1cm or so of the sides curving to give it the nice pebble like feel. So the case fits nicely when held in place, but slips at the sides when not. I think the best fix for that would be to apply two strips of ordinary thin double adhesive tape on the long edges - so have to get that first. OR to attempt to reshape the case with a heat gun - I might try that when I have a few more cases to experiment with...

The volume rocker and power button can be used without altering anything, Since the case is as soft as it is (silicone I assume)

1891788091_IMG_20191108_131218_HDR01.thumb.jpg.0cc6ef10181dc123acad6be6416810fd.jpg

274128910_IMG_20191108_131223_HDR01.thumb.jpg.d405d8b7f70c5078caec92334eec9052.jpg

But the interesting thing is that a case CAN fit the Pro1, without deterioration the functionality substantially.

So it is a matter of finding a better fit, a smoother modification, or get one tailored.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

@EskeRahn Can you tell us what cases you have so far tried? I was also looking for an alternative cases and found few candidates.

Pro1: 154 x 73.6 x 13.98 mm

Vivo X9 or X9s: 152.6 x 74 x 7 mm

Huawei Nova 5T: 154.3 x 74 x 7.8 mm

Honor 20: 154.3 x 74 x 7.9 mm

Honor 20 Lite: 154.8 x 73.6 x 8 mm

Honor 10 Lite: 154.8 x 73.6 x 8 mm

Have tried these?

1 hour ago, FlyingAntero said:

@EskeRahn Can you tell us what cases you have so far tried? I was also looking for an alternative cases and found few candidates.

Pro1: 154 x 73.6 x 13.98 mm

Vivo X9 or X9s: 152.6 x 74 x 7 mm

Huawei Nova 5T: 154.3 x 74 x 7.8 mm

Honor 20: 154.3 x 74 x 7.9 mm

Honor 20 Lite: 154.8 x 73.6 x 8 mm

Honor 10 Lite: 154.8 x 73.6 x 8 mm

Have tried these?

As I wrote: "The first has arrived for the Note7", so as the first i have not tried others (yet), see also previous posts in this thread.

I have ordered 16 different cases, and will report as they come in.

Untitled.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7
  • Confused 1

...Once we found the phone case(s) that gives the best fit, we should be looking for flip cases for these phones that opens in the OTHER direction, that is at right edge, like e.g. a Japanese book, as these would be more likely to be usable (as mentioned earlier), and preferably with a flip of a soft material with a hard support inside, we can 'brake' to add new fold(s).

ADD:
Due to the base form being symmetric, and we are likely to make various cot outs anyway, We MIGHT simply use one rotated to what it was originally intended

• Like 1
4 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

As I wrote: "The first has arrived for the Note7", so as the first i have not tried others (yet), see also previous posts in this thread.

That is great that you are testing them.  A text link to the case would be perfect.  If there is a link to the specific Note 7 case that you tested, I missed it.

Thanks again for being the guinea pig!

I agree with the double sided tape too.  That's how I have my Relay 4G plastic case being held on to the base of my phone.  I even did it for the case that fit around the screen.  Those types of cases had little legs that snapped around the corners of the base and screen, but they would break off eventually.  I finally reached the end of my supply, so I had to use tape.  

16 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

I have ordered 16 different cases, and will report as they come in.

Untitled.png

Sorry, I had missed the previous messages. Also, I was trying to ask what cases you have already bought? I am wondering if F(x)tec could share actual dimensions (like 3D model) with the community so we would have better tools to find or create case for Pro1?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, FlyingAntero said:

Sorry, I had missed the previous messages. Also, I was trying to ask what cases you have already bought? I am wondering if F(x)tec could share actual dimensions (like 3D model) with the community so we would have better tools to find or create case for Pro1?

Would be nice. Until they do, feel free to ask, and I will try to measure. But as things are curved/smoothed it can be hard to reduce to a few relevant measurements.

• Thanks 1

I would just check out Etsy for a leather pouch or flip case.  Plenty of people willing to do custom sizes.  There's no way I'd buy a ton of cases that aren't designed for the Pro1 and will look like trash while not protecting the whole phone obviously since this is a slider.  It's a $700 phone. Give it some real love. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Siani_8 said:

I would just check out Etsy for a leather pouch or flip case.  Plenty of people willing to do custom sizes.  There's no way I'd buy a ton of cases that aren't designed for the Pro1 and will look like trash while not protecting the whole phone obviously since this is a slider.  It's a $700 phone. Give it some real love. 

Don't get me wrong here, I'm primarily looking at feasibility. As they dismissed the hard case as a hopeless project, I want to see how good we can get it with standard components. I mean I'm not going to use say £2-300 on a custom designed leather case, that then proves to be so useless in real usage, that it ends in the bottom of a drawer.
But if we can get something good DIY, then we know for sure a professional custom made could be good too.

The first attempt works reasonable, but until I get some tape or the like not on the fingerprint.

• Like 2
  • phoebus2000 changed the title to Will Pro1 3D printer files for a case work with Pro1X?