Protective Case Suggestions and Ideas

3 hours ago, Cata2k said:

I know the unique design of the phone might make making a case a difficult prospect, but I'm simply too clumsy to use a phone without one. Are there any plans to design a case? 

I don't know what they are doing in the background, but Liangchen Chen has recently shared a tweet here about a case which seems to be a work in progress.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First testprint made last night. I've split the bottom up in 2 parts to figure out how well the fit is. there is some slight (2mm) missalignment of the buttons and usb-c header and the camera placemen

I made a leather pouch for the Pro1. I used cow leather, thickness about 2 mm. All the parts are glued with super glue gel adhesive which remains flexible. I made some holes to see the led and to get

Just finished a quick sketch of the bottom part of the protective cover:   Will run a test print tonight to get first dimensions with hard plastic to see how the shell fits, then adjust

Posted Images

8 hours ago, VaZso said:

Liangchen Chen has recently shared a tweet here about a case which seems to be a work in progress.

Definitely better than nothing.

I'd really like a tightly fitting, as to not make the package even bigger, book-style case/cover (that I wouldn't have to customize myself to make controls and connectors fit properly), though...

11 hours ago, Cata2k said:

I know the unique design of the phone might make making a case a difficult prospect, but I'm simply too clumsy to use a phone without one. Are there any plans to design a case? 

Merged your thread into this much larger one, that shows a number of simple DIY solutions, as the base is very close to the size of the Huawei P20 pro. See e.g. this.

But definitely nice if we get at fitting base shell, thanks @VaZso for that link  👍

On 1/25/2021 at 11:48 PM, wuwtk1 said:

This looks ideal to me, hopefully the num keys arent too hard to reach. l had a friend print this for me and is shipping it. Will report back with how it is 🙂

How'd it go? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2021 at 6:36 PM, Cata2k said:

It was supposed to come with one originally, but they shipped it with a rushed fabric sleeve instead. 

Is been over a year or two now without an official peep about it, so safe to say there will not be one.

Edit: just saw that tweet from May 5th. That would be a start, but really too little too late to be teasing it when we obviously have been thirsting forever lol. 'what do to guys think' idk ship it to me and I'll let you know omg give it to meeeeeeeeee.

Edited by Adrienspawn
  • Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Ann said:

Found this „seal skin“ on japanese market. Would love to get kind of these, cause it protects from scratches while not adding more diameter.

spacer.png

The pic looks like a skin made for the Pro1.  Is it?  Do you have a link.  It's like the Dbrand Skin on my Pro1, but I used a Note 10 skin which had the right camera placement and trimmed the width for the Pro1.  Just curious if there is a skin that has actually been made for the Pro1 or if the image is doctored?

Edited by Hook
6 minutes ago, Hook said:

The pic looks like a skin made for the Pro1.  Is it?  Do you have a link.  It's like the Dbrand Skin on my Pro1, but I used a Note 10 skin which had the right camera placement and trimmed the width for the Pro1.  Just curious if there is a skin that has actually been made for the Pro1 or if the image is doctored?

I cut a skin for my Pro1 bought at BestSkinsEver, but I also have a modified rubber case installed on top of that.

I don't know what kind of skin is the above one.

• 3 months later...

Hey guys, at least I found a kind of flip case fitting for my needs.
I don't carry my Pro1 with me a lot, so the bulky design doesn't matter and it's well protected at home 😄
I've bought it at this Etsy Store, not sure about international shipping but she's located in Munich. 

I like the idea of wrapping this elastic plastic stripes round the edge of the keyboard, so the display can close properly.

If you order you can tell an individual phones size, choose from the Pro1's data sheet h: 154mm; w: 73,6mm; d: 8mm (depth only keyboard). I also asked her to make the whole bag 5mm wider, to properly wrap it around the phone, when the bag is closed.

Keys are not impacted by those stripes and speakers are okay, too.

My tiny concerns:

-With the sizes mentioned above it's really pressed into the flexibal stripes. So maybe add 3mm in lenght and width to get a little more space.

-with all four stripes mounted the usb port isn't usable (camera button aswell), but it also fits really tight if you use just three of them, as the phone can't slip out to the bags "hinge". 

-Main camera has no hole, so not usable (I don't mind because i seem to have the focus defect, so don't use it anyway)

Maybe someone is interested or can craft something similar for themselfs 🙂
Have fun 👋

Here are some photos:

closed.jpg

openportrait.jpg

openlandscape.jpg

openback.jpg

upside.jpg

downside.jpg

Edited by lukluk91
cosmetics
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I would like to offer a Pro1 or Pro1X, to someone who absolutely need a protective case that will truly protect the device against regular falls, one that I can buy with guarantees, and not DIY.

I need both the phone and the case for January 2022 (birthday), is it doable ?

Thanks.

14 hours ago, KaKi87 said:

Hello,

I would like to offer a Pro1 or Pro1X, to someone who absolutely need a protective case that will truly protect the device against regular falls, one that I can buy with guarantees, and not DIY.

I need both the phone and the case for January 2022 (birthday), is it doable ?

Thanks.

I wouldn't get the hopes too up.

I don't know how tough the phone is but, given it is in two parts held on by a sturdy part, I'd say buying an f(x)tec Pro¹x shouldn't be taken for granted. They are still finishing recovering from the huge setback they were pushed into. So no dates are guaranteed.

As for an off-the-shelf protection, likely going to happen but unlikely going to happen within your time budget.

In other words: Doable but I wouldn't put my bets on it

Edited by brunoais
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, brunoais said:

In other words: Doable but I wouldn't put my bets on it

With all due respect: I think no one here ever got their phone within 3 months.

Even if mass production restarts in November, FxTec will be busy for months serving all the Pro1-X backers (and probably quite a few remaining Pro1 orders).

If you haven't pre-ordered a Pro1-X already, I do not think there is any hope to get it in the first half of 2022.

1 hour ago, claude0001 said:

With all due respect: I think no one here ever got their phone within 3 months.

Even if mass production restarts in November, FxTec will be busy for months serving all the Pro1-X backers (and probably quite a few remaining Pro1 orders).

If you haven't pre-ordered a Pro1-X already, I do not think there is any hope to get it in the first half of 2022.

Not saying that their timeframe will hold, but have a look at this
See https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/pro1-x-smartphone-functionality-choice-control#/updates/all

• We predict that production, packaging, and QC testing will take a few weeks in total, and our current estimated shipping dates will be in November. 

I assume they by total mean the processes involved in the first batch. I have no idea of the amount of people/machines set up for this, and thus no idea of the batch size and whether batches are produced in parallel, so it is pure guesswork how long it will take to fulfil the pending orders (and we do not even know how many that is).

But I tend to agree with @brunoais on this. It could be possible, if all goes well, but there are absolutely no way of guarantee, And I would not dare bet on it.

If the time line is set in stone, I would consider an intermediate simpler choice like the "Titan Pocket". Fairly cheap, but with a small square display, but it DOES have a keyboard, (though few and small keys), and it IS designed to be sturdy, so that might be good for the recipient. And they do offer an official belt holster too, though it is so extremely oversized you could almost fit two devices in it (my holster went straight back into the box after unboxing)

• Like 1

Oh, I was worried about the protective case but I had no doubt about the phone until you tell me this, when I read "SHIPPING IN NOVEMBER 2021" on the website, I was expecting this statement to be true regardless of my order date, as long as it predates November 2021.

Thank you all for your answers.

1 hour ago, EskeRahn said:

Not saying that their timeframe will hold, but have a look at this

Oh, I did read that. As I did read all the other announcements since 2019.

I guess, for those who have followed FxTec's path for so long, there are only to possible outcomes: you become either a pessimist or a believer. 😉

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, claude0001 said:

I guess, for those who have followed FxTec's path for so long, there are only to possible outcomes: you become either a pessimist or a believer. 😉

😄

I never understand why the 'pessimist' has such a bad name, by the way! In my book, being a pessimist is the best basis for a happy, even-tempered life. If you always expect the worst, more often than not you'll come out lightened, pleased and happy because things didn't work out as bad as they might have, and even if they turn out really bad you're prepared, not negatively surprised, devastated...

7 hours ago, KaKi87 said:
8 hours ago, Rob. S. said:

being a pessimist is the best basis for a happy, even-tempered life

Isn't that being realistic ?

Hmm... Perhaps 'realistic' could be redefined to mean something similar 😉 but I wouldn't have labeled 'always expecting the worst' as 'realistic' until now.

I'd say :

- Being optimistic is always expecting a positive outcome ;

- Being pessimistic is always expecting a negative outcome ;

- Being realistic is always expecting the most likely outcome.

What do you think ?

Edited by KaKi87
Typo
  • Like 1

Hey there. After buying a used phone, I got three additional cases/pouches made from @Jordi but as a hardcore writer I sadly have no use for it.

I'll give them away for free (you just pay the office fees) since they would just be laying around here.

There are three cases which I'll attach pictures below. On the bottom right you'll see which number we're talking about.

1: magnetic flip case (an incredible piece of engineering!)
2: 'purse' pouch (landscape)
3: regular pouch (portrait)

If you're interested, please write what case you want and message me then.
I'm located in Germany.

1.2.jpeg

1.3.jpeg

1.1.jpeg

2.2.jpeg

2.1.jpeg

3.1.jpeg

Edited by SchattengestaIt
  • Like 1
  • phoebus2000 changed the title to Will Pro1 3D printer files for a case work with Pro1X?